Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

icantfindaname
Jul 1, 2008

kitten smoothie posted:

these folks must also have no concept of what tech compensation actually is, because if you wanted an attack point it's a much lower hanging fruit than free lunch

None of the people complaining have actual jobs, aside from op ed writer courtesan to people like musk

icantfindaname fucked around with this message at 20:29 on Nov 27, 2022

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

rjmccall
Sep 7, 2007

no worries friend
Fun Shoe

FilthyImp posted:

Lol. Big mad about Freethink.

i actually went back and added context bc i didn’t want that to be misunderstood. i have a lot of respect for what english teachers do, and probably my favorite teacher in high school taught 11th grade lit. but every english teacher seems to have a quota of ten weird hangups about the english language that they think are hard and fast rules, and they all have a ton of hot takes about the works they teach

i have no idea what “freethink” is

Ichabod Sexbeast
Dec 5, 2011

Giving 'em the old razzle-dazzle

rjmccall posted:

in case it isn’t obvious, that shakespeare sex stuff is mostly just bored english teachers making stuff up. a lot of these supposed euphemisms are, like, the word was used in a way that was suggestive in context in some obscure work that nobody would’ve been familiar with at the time

high school literature teachers are endless fountains of nonsense about basically everything they teach

eta: i feel like i need to add that they also teach some really important skills — critical reading, argumentative writing, etc — and can be very inspiring. i really liked most of my literature teachers and am not at all trying to push some stemlord line about getting rid of the humanities. but yeah you need take anything they say with a lot of salt

"Villain, I have done thy mother" means exactly what it sounds like and I will not be told otherwise :colbert:

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp

akadajet posted:

I haven’t seen or thought about this for ages. I don’t remember it being very funny.

it never was. it was another one of those author-self-insert-as-cool-guy-surrounded-by-hot-girls webcomics

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

After a Speaker vote, you may be entitled to a valuable coupon or voucher!

I remembered Sinfest for having Cool Calvin as a main character and having a somewhat better art style than the average webcomic.

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant

rjmccall posted:

but every english teacher seems to have a quota of ten weird hangups about the english language that they think are hard and fast rules, and they all have a ton of hot takes about the works they teach
A lot of those were things that needed to be drilled into kids (as they were drilled into the teachers in HS and college) before spell check and grammarly existed.

Also, you should read up on what Literature education was like before The New Criticism became the standard.

People grow up with a weird inability to use interpretations put forth by teachers as starting points.

Beeftweeter posted:

he's not wrong
Spending my 20s ranting against Mr. Popovich saying that Gatsby's Green Light is a Fata Morgana

What drivel!

FilthyImp fucked around with this message at 20:52 on Nov 27, 2022

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

kliras posted:

anything weird going on with twitter search atm?

alt text: twitter search showing query string '" test (from:undefined)"' for a simple "test" query

it insists on appending "from:undefined" for whatever reason

(i mean more than the usual)

george needs to roll that commit back

Ultraklystron
May 19, 2010

Unsafe At Every Speed
Search leaving folks geocold

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

Nessus posted:

I remembered Sinfest for having Cool Calvin as a main character and having a somewhat better art style than the average webcomic.

I ran across it in the early 2000s when someone at university was like "HAW HAW LOOK AT THIS" and it came off like a masturbatory take on Calvin and Hobbes, nowadays we have the word "incel" to cover that kind of thing

Beeftweeter
Jun 28, 2005

OFFICIAL #1 GNOME FAN

FilthyImp posted:

A lot of those were things that needed to be drilled into kids (as they were drilled into the teachers in HS and college) before spell check and grammarly existed.

Also, you should read up on what Literature education was like before The New Criticism became the standard.

People grow up with a weird inability to use interpretations put forth by teachers as starting points.

Spending my 20s ranting against Mr. Popovich saying that Gatsby's Green Light is a Fata Morgana

What drivel!

i feel like you're projecting here, i don't think offering up obvious bullshit as an interpretive analysis is very helpful except for critical thinking skills i guess. if you take that at face value without any examination it can be pretty bad

Zlodo
Nov 25, 2006

Expo70 posted:

minette (my favourite - it means cat more literally but it implies a particular look cats make when begging)

there's also minou, and also simply "chatte" (the french word for a female cat), which is so commonly used in that sense that when I ask my mom about how her cat is doing I use the cat's name rather than "chatte" because it'd be awkward

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant
I knew someone whose teacher said that Nick had a sexual obsession with Gatsby.

Through a certain lens, though...

E: aw hell, there's something funny about complaining about bullshit being taken to heart in the Muskzone

FilthyImp fucked around with this message at 21:02 on Nov 27, 2022

lord fifth
Dec 26, 2019

LUCK ???

FilthyImp posted:

this one is to my understanding not all that uncommon of an interpretation

Beeftweeter
Jun 28, 2005

OFFICIAL #1 GNOME FAN

lord fifth posted:

this one is to my understanding not all that uncommon of an interpretation

yeah it's not, and you can certainly read it that way

however something more like "well if you change the meaning of the words to x because y", well,

rjmccall
Sep 7, 2007

no worries friend
Fun Shoe
i don’t have a problem with english teachers suggesting that an interpretation is possible. i do think that teachers usually stop there and don’t give students tools for evaluating those interpretations, and that promotes this corrosive view of literary works (especially shakespeare) as sequences of too-clever wordplay that don’t make any sense cohesively

i also have a problem with ms whoever-she-was telling me e.g. that there are no contemporary transcendentalists because she didn’t like that contemporary has two meanings and so pretended that one of them was wrong

Qtotonibudinibudet
Nov 7, 2011

Omich poluyobok, skazhi ty narkoman? ya prosto tozhe gde to tam zhivu, mogli by vmeste uyobyvat' narkotiki

FilthyImp posted:

E: aw hell, there's something funny about complaining about bullshit being taken to heart in the Muskzone

i dont think my professor appreciated my analysis of Nikolai Vsevolodovich and Pyotr Stepanovich in Dostoevsky's Demons having a very strange homoerotic relationship where they each tried to woo each other with escalating acts of nihilism, but goddamnit, it's so obviously there

or at least it makes the story much more amusing if you view it through that joke framing. comically evil gay 19th century aristocrats are hilarious

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant

Beeftweeter posted:

"well if you change the meaning of the words to x because y", well,
Did you know the Weird Sisters' brew at the start of Macbeth is just apothecary talk for mustard seed and moss, among other things?

Beeftweeter
Jun 28, 2005

OFFICIAL #1 GNOME FAN

FilthyImp posted:

Did you know the Weird Sisters' brew at the start of Macbeth is just apothecary talk for mustard seed and moss, among other things?

every time willy shakes uses the article "the" it means "pig balls"

Bad Purchase
Jun 17, 2019

rjmccall posted:

i also have a problem with ms whoever-she-was telling me e.g. that there are no contemporary transcendentalists because she didn’t like that contemporary has two meanings and so pretended that one of them was wrong

she was trying to prevent kids from reading works by transcendentalists, and for that she should be hailed a hero

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant

Beeftweeter posted:

every time willy shakes uses the article "the" it means "pig balls"
I don't like it when words change meaning, so I assume "Cow-Eyed Hera" in the Greek is just shade

rjmccall
Sep 7, 2007

no worries friend
Fun Shoe

Bad Purchase posted:

she was trying to prevent kids from reading works by transcendentalists, and for that she should be hailed a hero

i kindof get why transcendentalism is part of the american canon — both for boomers because of the 60’s echoes and in modern integrated curricula because it lines up well with us history courses — but it is definitely dull as hell

Beeftweeter
Jun 28, 2005

OFFICIAL #1 GNOME FAN

FilthyImp posted:

I don't like it when words change meaning, so I assume "Cow-Eyed Hera" in the Greek is just shade

no no i'm sure it's literally a goddess with bovine parts

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

ERM... Actually I have stellar scores on the surveys, and every year students tell me that my classes are the best ones they’ve ever taken.
I think cows' eyes are pretty and it works both ways

univbee
Jun 3, 2004

https://twitter.com/TerribleMaps/status/1592236769772474368

FlapYoJacks
Feb 12, 2009

They mostly use figa

Beeftweeter
Jun 28, 2005

OFFICIAL #1 GNOME FAN

mamma mia!

FlapYoJacks
Feb 12, 2009

Pinterest Mom
Jun 9, 2009

FrozenVent posted:

I haven’t heard it in Montreal and westward.

i hear it a lot in mtl, including from people who grew up in like.... valleyfield and candiac

Beeftweeter
Jun 28, 2005

OFFICIAL #1 GNOME FAN

lol

Vivian Darkbloom
Jul 14, 2004

rjmccall posted:

in case it isn’t obvious, that shakespeare sex stuff is mostly just bored english teachers making stuff up. a lot of these supposed euphemisms are, like, the word was used in a way that was suggestive in context in some obscure work that nobody would’ve been familiar with at the time

high school literature teachers are endless fountains of nonsense about basically everything they teach

eta: i feel like i need to add that they also teach some really important skills — critical reading, argumentative writing, etc — and can be very inspiring. i really liked most of my literature teachers and am not at all trying to push some stemlord line about getting rid of the humanities. but yeah you need take anything they say with a lot of salt

my 10th grade English teacher was a partisan of the Baconian theory (i.e. Shakespeare never lived or was just some obscure guy) and made us watch a bunch of conspiracy crap about it

NoneMoreNegative
Jul 20, 2000
GOTH FASCISTIC
PAIN
MASTER

shit wizard dad

Vivian Darkbloom posted:

my 10th grade English teacher was a partisan of the Baconian theory (i.e. Shakespeare never lived or was just some obscure guy) and made us watch a bunch of conspiracy crap about it

Le Epic Francis Bacon

MononcQc
May 29, 2007

The original joke in the Simpsons got localized for Quebec's dub and they picked "la région du Lac-Saint-Jean" (instead of upstate New York), and Jonquière vs. Alma as the two small cities the expression comes from instead of Albany and Utica. It works very well as these two small cities are not major but known enough for the joke, and the region as a whole has different accents from the rest of the province.

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

ERM... Actually I have stellar scores on the surveys, and every year students tell me that my classes are the best ones they’ve ever taken.
The Quebecois dub of the chowdah/chowdaire scene has the waiter serving Freddy Quimby a plate of "lentilles" and he hoots and yells "c'est des bines maudit cave" :allears:

MononcQc
May 29, 2007

Sagebrush posted:

The Quebecois dub of the chowdah/chowdaire scene has the waiter serving Freddy Quimby a plate of "lentilles" and he hoots and yells "c'est des bines maudit cave" :allears:

Our dub of Bart stuck in France during the exchange is even better than the original one because Bart can't get understood by the loving Parisian cops who are looking down on his Quebecois accent, so at some point he just figures out how to twist words more like the French and throws in some slang and suddenly he's able to get help.

mystes
May 31, 2006

FlapYoJacks posted:

They mostly use figa
Ligma female genitalia

tak
Jan 31, 2003

lol demowned
Grimey Drawer

MononcQc posted:

Our dub of Bart stuck in France during the exchange is even better than the original one because Bart can't get understood by the loving Parisian cops who are looking down on his Quebecois accent, so at some point he just figures out how to twist words more like the French and throws in some slang and suddenly he's able to get help.

lol that owns

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant

Beeftweeter posted:

no no i'm sure it's literally a goddess with bovine parts

rjmccall posted:

it is definitely dull as hell
Yeah, it's hard for 16 year olds to appreciate the movement against modernity that it stood for, while also appreciating the Self Reliance but as being cooped by tales of the west as materialistic.

VSOKUL girl posted:

i dont think my professor appreciated my analysis ...
This is the kind of poo poo that gets our motors running.

Luigi Thirty
Apr 30, 2006

Emergency confection port.

https://dawnproject.com/safety-tests-reveal-that-tesla-full-self-driving-software-will-repeatedly-hit-a-child-mannequin-in-a-stroller/

wow who would have thought

ADINSX
Sep 9, 2003

Wanna run with my crew huh? Rule cyberspace and crunch numbers like I do?

lol its hauling rear end over those speed bumps too, what a joke

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cold on a Cob
Feb 6, 2006

i've seen so much, i'm going blind
and i'm brain dead virtually

College Slice

MononcQc posted:

The original joke in the Simpsons got localized for Quebec's dub and they picked "la région du Lac-Saint-Jean" (instead of upstate New York), and Jonquière vs. Alma as the two small cities the expression comes from instead of Albany and Utica. It works very well as these two small cities are not major but known enough for the joke, and the region as a whole has different accents from the rest of the province.

MononcQc posted:

lol i love hearing about quebec dubs, that slaps