Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

hbag
Feb 13, 2021

this one treats me with contempt too

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Progressive JPEG
Feb 19, 2003

that does make sense, hopefully better now

aw frig aw dang it
Jun 1, 2018

hbag posted:

this one treats me with contempt too

many different users state they do not like or want me posting

nrook
Jun 25, 2009

Just let yourself become a worthless person!
what’s the advantage to storing session info on the server versus just handing out a signed cookie with username and expiry date, anyway

Qtotonibudinibudet
Nov 7, 2011

Omich poluyobok, skazhi ty narkoman? ya prosto tozhe gde to tam zhivu, mogli by vmeste uyobyvat' narkotiki

nrook posted:

what’s the advantage to storing session info on the server versus just handing out a signed cookie with username and expiry date, anyway

smaller cookies, at least

this is probably a solved problem but our garbo oidc implementation would make massive-rear end cookies if you didn't use server-side session mode

Progressive JPEG
Feb 19, 2003

easier to revoke individual sessions?

but tbh i think it'd make more sense to just do signed cookie anyway just to avoid problems like this

2Fast2Nutricious
Oct 4, 2020

maybe this new social media thing is the one that will make me post more? who knows https://cohost.org/krms

when im allowed in i guess

2Fast2Nutricious fucked around with this message at 22:44 on Nov 27, 2022

akadajet
Sep 14, 2003

lol server side sessions

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

aw frig aw dang it posted:

many different users state they do not like or want me posting

same but also in real life

MononcQc
May 29, 2007

I’m enjoying longposting random things I want to take notes on still. Cohost is a decent platform for content.

Pile Of Garbage
May 28, 2007

HONKED AGAIN!!! https://cohost.org/garbo/post/479018-my-mum-has-geese-now

Qtotonibudinibudet
Nov 7, 2011

Omich poluyobok, skazhi ty narkoman? ya prosto tozhe gde to tam zhivu, mogli by vmeste uyobyvat' narkotiki

MononcQc posted:

I’m enjoying longposting random things I want to take notes on still. Cohost is a decent platform for content.

cohost feels like it really needs some sorta above/below the fold thing... which i think it has, but isn't really used? i think i saw a tip about it but don't know where that was

my feed is a constant jarring transition between shortposts and epic large content posts, in their entirety, without any summary blurb up top i can choose to expand or not

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp
it does and i use it all the time. just

---

and there u go

aw frig aw dang it
Jun 1, 2018

VSOKUL girl posted:

cohost feels like it really needs some sorta above/below the fold thing... which i think it has, but isn't really used? i think i saw a tip about it but don't know where that was

my feed is a constant jarring transition between shortposts and epic large content posts, in their entirety, without any summary blurb up top i can choose to expand or not

in Settings under Display Settings there's a checkbox for "hide middle of long threads by default" that will collapse long-rear end picture threads for ya. I don't think that will do anything for the long single posts, but it helps reduce scrolling a bit

hailthefish
Oct 24, 2010

almost all of the longform text chosts in my feed use the --- read more thing and it would be very annoying if they didn't

MononcQc
May 29, 2007

in don’t use it because my posts deserve all of your screen’s real estate

FalseNegative
Jul 24, 2007

2>/dev/null

MononcQc posted:

in don’t use it because my posts deserve all of your screen’s real estate

Truth

Lain Iwakura
Aug 5, 2004

The body exists only to verify one's own existence.

Taco Defender
i brought back a part of the doom bathroom thread i made from the dead

https://cohost.org/Cariad/post/491021-doom-bathroom-part

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp
this is probably nasty of me but the fundraiser posts are starting to grow in number, and theyre always really long as people plead their case, and i wish it wasn't that way. same with "need a job" posts. i know we're in hellworld recessioin land but feed is starting to bum me out. if i'm an rear end in a top hat for saying this just tell me

CRIP EATIN BREAD
Jun 24, 2002

Hey stop worrying bout my acting bitch, and worry about your WACK ass music. In the mean time... Eat a hot bowl of Dicks! Ice T

Soiled Meat
nah that poo poo gets old really quick

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

much like your chosts

Cybernetic Vermin
Apr 18, 2005

i enjoy cohost generally, but tbh even if everything else sucked it'd be worth it for the css nonsense, and this series is just real neat: https://cohost.org/lexyeevee/post/507300-css-for-css-baby-2 (presumably almost everyone has already seen it posted, but for that last person needing it).

HKR
Jan 13, 2006

there is no universe where duke nukem would not be a trans ally

web dev is hard when you have 100k + users and a 3-4 person team who work normal hours only

luckily the staff endorse userscripts to fill in some of the shortcomings with the site

install grease/tamper monkey or whatever and browse this post

https://cohost.org/kiophen/post/466503-cohost-userscripts

maybe some will become features one day

mawarannahr
May 21, 2019

I’m looking into this because Jonny Numbers recommended it. the op says it’s cool and run by cool people. I can’t find out much about who they are and why they’re cool. what’s it about?

HKR
Jan 13, 2006

there is no universe where duke nukem would not be a trans ally

mawarannahr posted:

I’m looking into this because Jonny Numbers recommended it. the op says it’s cool and run by cool people. I can’t find out much about who they are and why they’re cool. what’s it about?

staff are @vogon @jkap @aidan, they formed the anti software software club

you can read their manifesto here

CRIP EATIN BREAD
Jun 24, 2002

Hey stop worrying bout my acting bitch, and worry about your WACK ass music. In the mean time... Eat a hot bowl of Dicks! Ice T

Soiled Meat
aint no way im reading a manifesto

Lain Iwakura
Aug 5, 2004

The body exists only to verify one's own existence.

Taco Defender
cohost support emailed me directly today

this is why i like cohost

Kenny Logins
Jan 11, 2011

EVERY MORNING I WAKE UP AND OPEN PALM SLAM A WHITE WHALE INTO THE PEQUOD. IT'S HELL'S HEART AND RIGHT THEN AND THERE I STRIKE AT THEE ALONGSIDE WITH THE MAIN CHARACTER, ISHMAEL.

CRIP EATIN BREAD posted:

aint no way im reading a manifesto

Kenny Logins
Jan 11, 2011

EVERY MORNING I WAKE UP AND OPEN PALM SLAM A WHITE WHALE INTO THE PEQUOD. IT'S HELL'S HEART AND RIGHT THEN AND THERE I STRIKE AT THEE ALONGSIDE WITH THE MAIN CHARACTER, ISHMAEL.
can you imagine

Dijkstracula
Mar 18, 2003

You can't spell 'vector field' without me, Professor!

all yall actin like you never read tarn's "ten years on the forums" manifesto, sheesh

teen phone cutie
Jun 18, 2012

last year i rewrote something awful from scratch because i hate myself
their manifesto is some real paranoid poo poo. it's a little insightful, but mostly "omg these guys are a bunch of wackadoodles"

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

teen phone cutie posted:

their manifesto is some real paranoid poo poo. it's a little insightful, but mostly "omg these guys are a bunch of wackadoodles"

what

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp
just a drive-by. ignore it

repugnant
Jun 29, 2005

You can only think of me.

Did I do something wrong or is cohost being weird? Pile of garbage posted a cute stuffed panda pic, and it's in my timeline 5 times, sometimes one after another.

Video Nasty
Jun 17, 2003

repugnant posted:

Did I do something wrong or is cohost being weird? Pile of garbage posted a cute stuffed panda pic, and it's in my timeline 5 times, sometimes one after another.

He quote-tweeted [rechosted] himself and made additional content updates each time. It seems odd in this format, for sure.

Pile Of Garbage
May 28, 2007

yeah sorry i kinda went overboard with the posting https://cohost.org/garbo/post/555109-more-pics-i-ll-neve

apparently there are greasemonkey scripts you can get that remove duplicates from your timeline. also i think they're working towards making the timeline better in general to avoid duplicates

hailthefish
Oct 24, 2010

yeah the combination of x posts per page + every person you follow who rechosts something causing the whole thing to be duplicated = any time a chost gets popular in your social circle it takes up entire pages of your timeline is not great and I'm glad it's something they're working on

Zamujasa
Oct 27, 2010

Bread Liar
you can (and should) turn on the "collapse long posts by default" option which turns any of those 10-plus shares into just three, which is still a ton of screen real estate but significantly less so

tumblr had a lot of the same problems

Neito
Feb 18, 2009

😌Finally, an avatar the describes my love of tech❤️‍💻, my love of anime💖🎎, and why I'll never see a real girl 🙆‍♀️naked😭.

hailthefish posted:

yeah the combination of x posts per page + every person you follow who rechosts something causing the whole thing to be duplicated = any time a chost gets popular in your social circle it takes up entire pages of your timeline is not great and I'm glad it's something they're working on

Probably comes from using Tumblr as the base idea; that's how your dashboard would look back in the day.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dijkstracula
Mar 18, 2003

You can't spell 'vector field' without me, Professor!

just made my first effortpost :toot: