Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Should I step down as head of twitter
This poll is closed.
Yes 420 4.43%
No 69 0.73%
Goku 9001 94.85%
Total: 9490 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

kazil
Jul 24, 2005

Derpmph trial star reporter!

Frank Frank posted:

It’s funny as gently caress that these chuds are treating him like a moderator and tattle to him at every opportunity

I mean why not? It seems to work

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

digital penitence
Jan 3, 2008

https://twitter.com/elonmusk/status/1596925202184564736?s=20&t=j1Wg106q-GdeinkF0UYvJQ

big black turnout
Jan 13, 2009

Fallen Rib
LeAdErShIp

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Let's get drunk and kiss each other all night.
It'd be weird at this point to see a post where musk isn't coming across as a secret nazi BoTh SiDeS!@ scumfuck

MysticalMachineGun
Apr 5, 2005

To think that the richest man in the world would most likely have been banned from SA, downvoted on Reddit and shitcanned from every other platform for his smug-rear end posting. What a poo poo.

Steadiman
Jan 31, 2006

Hey...what kind of party is this? there's no booze and only one hooker!

silly sevens
Lol that Elon musk, richest man in the world, spent 44 billion to become a QCS mod.

MysticalMachineGun
Apr 5, 2005

Steadiman posted:

Lol that Elon musk, richest man in the world, spent 44 billion to become a QCS mod.

And he can't even quit! He can't step down and change username and disappear, he's holding the bag forever now.

Time_pants
Jun 25, 2012

Now sauntering to the ring, please welcome the lackadaisical style of the man who is always doing something...

Frank Frank posted:

It’s funny as gently caress that these chuds are treating him like a moderator and tattle to him at every opportunity

Funnier still is that he's fully embracing it.

Songbearer
Jul 12, 2007

Fuck you say?
I think Elon is a bad man and if terrible things happened to him I would not feel sorry about it :colbert:

Good Sphere
Jun 16, 2018

Elon is working on special privileges for blue checkmark accounts that allow them to engage in civil discourse.

https://twitter.com/elonmusk/status/1596981968662822913?s=46&t=T1qnpaonOA0OHuLFSVRCWg

Edwardly
Jun 28, 2011

Dang, they're banned for that amusing tweet that some people may refer to as comedy.

Comfy Fleece Sweater
Apr 2, 2013

You see, but you do not observe.

I find it interesting that non-English-speaking twitter is 99.9% unaware of what a shithead Elon is. Things seem to carry on as usual. I wonder what will happen, now that twitter closed a bunch of international twitter HQs. Not sure what exactly they did - moderation, local law lobbying?
Journalists definitely don’t want to leave, holding on to their precious followers for dear life.

Also, the people predicting twitter failure the moment the World Cup started… where you at

Olanphonia
Jul 27, 2006

I'm open to suggestions~

Good Sphere posted:

Elon is working on special privileges for blue checkmark accounts that allow them to engage in civil discourse.

https://twitter.com/elonmusk/status/1596981968662822913?s=46&t=T1qnpaonOA0OHuLFSVRCWg

So Elon wants Twitter D&D?

koshmar
Oct 22, 2009

i'm not here

this isn't happening

Good Sphere posted:

Working on this thing I only just now heard about...

Edit: Idiots in the replies comparing this to opting into PvP

big black turnout
Jan 13, 2009

Fallen Rib

Good Sphere posted:

Twitter is going to have PvE and PvP servers

e: ^ lol

Frank Frank
Jun 13, 2001

Mirrored
Civil discourse mode will be moderated by Sargon of Akkad

Bad Purchase
Jun 17, 2019

i don't think he's dumb enough to actually create a wall between paid and unpaid accounts, but i'm not certain of that and i hope he tries

koshmar
Oct 22, 2009

i'm not here

this isn't happening

Bad Purchase posted:

i don't think he's dumb enough to actually create a wall between paid and unpaid accounts, but i'm not certain of that and i hope he tries

He totally is, he's been talking about doing it since he took over

Sanctum
Feb 14, 2005

Property was their religion
A church for one

MysticalMachineGun posted:

And he can't even quit! He can't step down and change username and disappear, he's holding the bag forever now.
Elon could just like stop posting. Tweeting, twitting, whatever.

He won't though, you're right. If you came here and told bird with big dick that you don't believe his dick is big or that he's really a bird, do you think bird with big dick would care what you think about him? But if you tell lil Musky that he isn't the most specialest, smartest richboy there ever was then he's gonna keep on tweeting at you until he is satisfied he has proven himself right. Normal, rational people don't give a poo poo what strangers say about them on the internet. Musk on the other hand always has something to prove. Cuz he's insecure as poo poo. :smithfrog: :tipshat:

Steadiman
Jan 31, 2006

silly sevens

Bad Purchase posted:

I think he said from the first moment the Twitter blue thing came up, that he wanted the blue responses to take priority, essentially burying any responses from people who didn’t buy Twitter blue. So he kinda is that dumb.

kazil
Jul 24, 2005

big black turnout posted:

Twitter is going to have PvE and PvP servers

e: ^ lol

Make everyone pick a side, like horde vs alliance poo poo.

Even corporations. Which side of civil discourse you gonna be on Wendys?

Good Sphere
Jun 16, 2018

Steadiman posted:

I think he said from the first moment the Twitter blue thing came up, that he wanted the blue responses to take priority, essentially burying any responses from people who didn’t buy Twitter blue. So he kinda is that dumb.

It immediately gives a competitor the upper hand who will be smart enough to know not to make verified accounts behind a paywall, never mind let paid accounts have more power in what they say over accounts that don’t.

I’m not saying there is a space in the eco system for Twitter, but it seems a whole lot smaller than what someone else could offer.

DaveWoo
Aug 14, 2004

Fun Shoe
just lol at the idea of elon re-introducing content moderation, except now you have to pay to get it

Hardcastlemccormik
Jul 19, 2022

Comfy Fleece Sweater posted:

I find it interesting that non-English-speaking twitter is 99.9% unaware of what a shithead Elon is. Things seem to carry on as usual. I wonder what will happen, now that twitter closed a bunch of international twitter HQs. Not sure what exactly they did - moderation, local law lobbying?
Journalists definitely don’t want to leave, holding on to their precious followers for dear life.

Also, the people predicting twitter failure the moment the World Cup started… where you at

I was never super sure Twitter would go down during the World Cup but the theory of massive traffic taking the site down was very plausible. Honestly this is a huge testament to the design the Twitter 1.0 engineers left behind.

I mean the site is barely working in major ways, reportedly notifications are mostly broken, 2FA may or may not be still busted, the advertisers portal was reportedly not functional, the site really chugs and doesn’t load at all at times. But these are all extremely preferable failure states to a fail whale.

It’s still possible the site does down at some point, especially when Elon’s minions get to work next week and do live development on prod while being tasered by middle management prison wardens.

smoobles
Sep 4, 2014

He went into sarcastic Spongebob voice at the end there, much respect

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

koshmar posted:

Working on this thing I only just now heard about...

Edit: Idiots in the replies comparing this to opting into PvP

"Thank you, this was my idea actually"

*cuts off attribution, puts in powerpoint and sends to #general in slack* Do by Friday

1000 Sweaty Rikers
Oct 13, 2005

wtf is going on here?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EFqgBO0hqk0

sharknado slashfic
Jun 24, 2011

I didn't read the last 1500 posts but mastodon has a series engagement problem if it wants to be the twitter successor beyond the niche server communities that already existed pre Elon. Scrolling through the federated feed (basically showing posts from all different servers) 99% of the posts regardless of content have zero replies and zero boosts (retweets).

Cant imagine people are going to stick very long considering half the point of social media is attention seeking.

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

I hate listening to him talk, he sounds like a mumbling moron

Steadiman
Jan 31, 2006

silly sevens

Good Sphere posted:

It immediately gives a competitor the upper hand who will be smart enough to know not to make verified accounts behind a paywall, never mind let paid accounts have more power in what they say over accounts that don’t.

I’m not saying there is a space in the eco system for Twitter, but it seems a whole lot smaller than what someone else could offer.

Yeah Twitter is simply not big enough for paywalls. It just doesn’t provide enough value for the vast majority of its users, who have a few followers and just post drunken memes and follow dril. Most terminally online Twitter users seem to forget that it’s really not that big of a platform, it just has some high profile users. And it’s certainly not worth $8 a month just so you can post “todays vibe is a bit chonky” to your 12 followers.

Mal-3
Oct 21, 2008

One of the most ridiculously pervasive (and just plain ridiculous) scams on YouTube today: Create a channel claiming to be a Musk-company-official one, then stream a looped recording of Elon rambling about something, usually cryptocurrency, with a couple crytobros nodding along in other windows. Fill the chat with bots shilling the shitcoin of your choice. Continue until YT finds you and chases you off, then repeat.

wireframeskull
Dec 3, 2006

Crypto scam. Whenever you see something puzzling with Musk's dome attached to it, it's always a crypto scam.

Cthulu Carl
Apr 16, 2006

Data Graham posted:

I hate listening to him talk, he sounds like a mumbling moron

What do you mean "like" ?

kazil
Jul 24, 2005

Hardcastlemccormik posted:

I was never super sure Twitter would go down during the World Cup but the theory of massive traffic taking the site down was very plausible. Honestly this is a huge testament to the design the Twitter 1.0 engineers left behind.

I mean the site is barely working in major ways, reportedly notifications are mostly broken, 2FA may or may not be still busted, the advertisers portal was reportedly not functional, the site really chugs and doesn’t load at all at times. But these are all extremely preferable failure states to a fail whale.

It’s still possible the site does down at some point, especially when Elon’s minions get to work next week and do live development on prod while being tasered by middle management prison wardens.

I mean, the World Cup is still going on too. There's still plenty of time for it to tank Twitter.

(it's also a poo poo show even for the world cup but that's a different argument)

Adenoid Dan
Mar 8, 2012

The Hobo Serenader
Lipstick Apathy

Steadiman posted:

Yeah Twitter is simply not big enough for paywalls. It just doesn’t provide enough value for the vast majority of its users, who have a few followers and just post drunken memes and follow dril. Most terminally online Twitter users seem to forget that it’s really not that big of a platform, it just has some high profile users. And it’s certainly not worth $8 a month just so you can post “todays vibe is a bit chonky” to your 12 followers.

Other social media premium uptake is around 1% of total users for all sites, and his version doesn't even get rid of advertising. That leaves what, 2-4 million Twitter blue subscribers? Something around 20 million in new revenue a month?

kazil
Jul 24, 2005

Imagine a Netflix subscription that's just Nazis posting movie reviews

Castor Poe
Jul 19, 2010

Jar Jar is the key to all of this.
https://twitter.com/elonmusk/status/1596925202184564736?s=20

https://twitter.com/elonmusk/status/1596960741080596480?s=20

I think I hate Elon Musk??!

bird with big dick
Oct 21, 2015

Did Elons new phone really go into production already

Nice Van My Man
Jan 1, 2008

sharknado slashfic posted:

I didn't read the last 1500 posts but mastodon has a series engagement problem if it wants to be the twitter successor beyond the niche server communities that already existed pre Elon. Scrolling through the federated feed (basically showing posts from all different servers) 99% of the posts regardless of content have zero replies and zero boosts (retweets).

Cant imagine people are going to stick very long considering half the point of social media is attention seeking.

What we need is more mastodon bots!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Klyith
Aug 3, 2007

GBS Pledge Week

sharknado slashfic posted:

I didn't read the last 1500 posts but mastodon has a series engagement problem if it wants to be the twitter successor beyond the niche server communities

It doesn't want to be that.