Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Twerk from Home
Jan 17, 2009

This avatar brought to you by the 'save our dead gay forums' foundation.
My wife's Pixel 5a just had the display completely fail in a way that exactly matches this: https://support.google.com/pixelphone/answer/11833075?hl=en

It was purchased from the Google store 14 months ago, so it's out of warranty but should be covered by Googles extended 1 year repair program for this specific issue. Am I going to get a better quality repair out of Google mail in service or Asurion physical service? I'm pretty skeptical of Asurion repairs, but worried mail would take forever.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

hmmxkrazee
Sep 9, 2006
why
Telephoto all the way. Especially since I prefer portrait shots w/ the telephoto way more than the wide lens.

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

*Israeli Government-affiliated poster
Just got my first new phone in about 11 years - Google Pixel 6 (based on recommendations from here) replacing my Samsung Galaxy S3.

Questions:

1) Is there any way to make the "feed" of random news stories when you swipe right useful or stop giving me notifications?

2) Is there a way to make it so I can swipe left and use another page on the home screen for apps or is swiping left/other pages just not a thing?

3) Is there a way to use "forward" when browsing on chrome? There is a back swipe motion, but no forward that I can tell.

4) Is there anything worth doing with my old Samsung Galaxy S3 and partner's S4? Or are they so useless that they aren't worth selling or doing anything with except maybe throwing them in a recycling bin?

5) Does the Google Pixel line get the same Android updates and features as other Android phones or are there any differences in terms of scheduling/functionality? Some of the default android apps are replaced with Google branded versions, but not sure if there is any actual functional difference? The Pixel OS look and Apps seem to be slightly different from other Android UIs, but not sure how much is functionally different or what I should know.

codo27
Apr 21, 2008

Oh boy. Yes yes no discard Google is the default Android apps/experience

SalTheBard
Jan 26, 2005

I forgot to post my food for USPOL Thanksgiving but that's okay too!

Fallen Rib

quote:

1) Is there any way to make the "feed" of random news stories when you swipe right useful or stop giving me notifications?

As you use your phone it will start to learn what stories you do and don't like and will start to tailer for that. It took me awhile but generally I find it useful to read.

quote:

2) Is there a way to make it so I can swipe left and use another page on the home screen for apps or is swiping left/other pages just not a thing?

Yes you can! If you grab an app icon and move it to the right side of the screen it will create a new screen for you to use.

quote:

3) Is there a way to use "forward" when browsing on chrome? There is a back swipe motion, but no forward that I can tell.

Not that I know of

quote:

4) Is there anything worth doing with my old Samsung Galaxy S3 and partner's S4? Or are they so useless that they aren't worth selling or doing anything with except maybe throwing them in a recycling bin?

If you have a baby you can use it as a baby monitor, I don't know what else you would use it for.

quote:

5) Does the Google Pixel line get the same Android updates and features as other Android phones or are there any differences in terms of scheduling/functionality?

Pixel phones are the default Android experience and get the updates the day Google releases them.

quote:

5) Some of the default android apps are replaced with Google branded versions, but not sure if there is any actual functional difference?

I haven't used a Samsung phone in a long time but my guess is that functionally they are the exact same.

quote:

5) The Pixel OS look and Apps seem to be slightly different from other Android UIs, but not sure how much is functionally different or what I should know.

The Pixel phones are very gesture based (swipe up for app locker, half swipe for app manager, tap to turn on screen, etc) so I would suggest looking at the gestures part of seeing because it can be very helpful.

SalTheBard fucked around with this message at 16:24 on Nov 27, 2022

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

Gummy Bear Heaven ... It's where I go when the world is too mean.

Leon Trotsky 2012 posted:

Tap the three dots in the upper right and there is a forward arrow that you press.

docbeard
Jul 19, 2011

SalTheBard posted:

As you use your phone it will start to learn what stories you do and don't like and will start to tailer for that. It took me awhile but generally I find it useful to read.

What is your secret, because it just gives me stupid clickbait articles about TV shows, and I do not like stupid clickbait articles about TV shows even if they are TV shows I enjoy.

I would just like the feed and its notifications to go away forever.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

Then turn the feed and notifications off?

withoutclass
Nov 6, 2007

Resist the siren call of rhinocerosness

College Slice

docbeard posted:

What is your secret, because it just gives me stupid clickbait articles about TV shows, and I do not like stupid clickbait articles about TV shows even if they are TV shows I enjoy.

There are innumerable launcher replacements available thankfully!

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

Why would you use a different launcher to get rid of the feed rather than just turning it off?

Seriously, all this stuff is configurable.

docbeard
Jul 19, 2011

bull3964 posted:

Then turn the feed and notifications off?

Well we'll see if that actually works this time, as opposed to the last few times I've tried it.

withoutclass
Nov 6, 2007

Resist the siren call of rhinocerosness

College Slice

bull3964 posted:

Why would you use a different launcher to get rid of the feed rather than just turning it off?

Seriously, all this stuff is configurable.

I didn't know it could be turned off, welp.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

docbeard posted:

Well we'll see if that actually works this time, as opposed to the last few times I've tried it.

So you are saying the built in toggles don't work? That "Swipe to access Google app" turns itself back on? That notification settings reset themselves?

I have like 3 billion Android devices across a bunch of manufacturers and I've never seen that behavior.

docbeard
Jul 19, 2011

withoutclass posted:

I'm still not convinced it can, but it looks like the notifications can be configured (under the Google app in the Notifications settings), which is the main issue. Assuming they stay configured and Google doesn't decide it knows what I want better than I do, which is, you know, their entire business model.

docbeard
Jul 19, 2011

bull3964 posted:

So you are saying the built in toggles don't work? That "Swipe to access Google app" turns itself back on? That notification settings reset themselves?

I have like 3 billion Android devices across a bunch of manufacturers and I've never seen that behavior.

I'm saying I have disabled these notifications in the past and later started getting them again. Maybe updating to a new version of android reset those settings, I dunno.

SalTheBard
Jan 26, 2005

I forgot to post my food for USPOL Thanksgiving but that's okay too!

Fallen Rib

docbeard posted:

I'm very liberal with using "this story interests me, this story doesn't interest me".

Managing interests and whatever can help THE ALGORITHM to tailor news and stories that interest you.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

docbeard posted:

I'm saying I have disabled these notifications in the past and later started getting them again. Maybe updating to a new version of android reset those settings, I dunno.

Just saying that I've never seen that happen, ever.

Pixel, Galaxy S, Z Fold, OnePlus. When the notification channel for the thing I don't want to see is turned off, I stop seeing that thing and it's never reset.

Are you sure you aren't confusing the notification channel types? For example, Weather has two different notification channels, Current Weather Conditions and Changes and Forecast. You have to turn off both to stop seeing all weather related notifications.

I have all the ones for Shopping, Travel, Entertainment, Sports, Finance, and Stories about Your Interests turned off and never see any notifications for that stuff from that point forward.

docbeard
Jul 19, 2011

It's possible I'm also frustrated with Google for completely unrelated reasons right now after they sent the trade-in kit for my old phone to the wrong address twice.

Still love my new phone though.

docbeard
Jul 19, 2011

bull3964 posted:

Just saying that I've never seen that happen, ever.

Pixel, Galaxy S, Z Fold, OnePlus. When the notification channel for the thing I don't want to see is turned off, I stop seeing that thing and it's never reset.

Are you sure you aren't confusing the notification channel types? For example, Weather has two different notification channels, Current Weather Conditions and Changes and Forecast. You have to turn off both to stop seeing all weather related notifications.

I have all the ones for Shopping, Travel, Entertainment, Sports, Finance, and Stories about Your Interests turned off and never see any notifications for that stuff from that point forward.

Yeah, I've done that now but I feel like I've done it before too. Honestly I suspect at this point that it must have been a settings reset between Android versions, or between versions of the feed itself. Or I did it myself without realizing it.

I do remember at one point it actually had good and useful things in it (though I still laugh at how long it took to figure out that I almost exclusively use public transportation back in the day).

Skarsnik
Oct 21, 2008

I...AM...RUUUDE!

Liberal use of the dont show me poo poo from this source goes a long way to taming it

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

Skarsnik posted:

Liberal use of the dont show me poo poo from this source goes a long way to taming it

Yeah, since clickbait articles are from clickbait factories and are rarely useful beyond that. Killing sources like GIANT FREAKING ROBOT from my feed eliminated like 95% of the clickbait entertainment articles.

FistEnergy
Nov 3, 2000

DAY CREW: WORKING HARD

Fun Shoe
I'm still loving my Pixel 7 and I think it's the best Google phone yet

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

I am discovering that case + curved screen = massive dirt and dust trap along the edges.

smoobles
Sep 4, 2014

My 7's camera bar is an absolute dust magnet and is already scuffed even though I have no recollection of dropping it.

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

smoobles posted:

My 7's camera bar is an absolute dust magnet and is already scuffed even though I have no recollection of dropping it.

1) it's no different in terms of dust collecting than any other camera piece jutting out from a phone body
2) wash your pants, pull the pockets out when you do, that will help clean lint out
3) use a case

Skarsnik
Oct 21, 2008

I...AM...RUUUDE!

I've been using a pela case on my 7, same as I had on my 4a

Can recommend though getting it shipped from canadia to brexitland rather wiped out its green credentials

CaptainSarcastic
Jul 6, 2013

withoutclass posted:

The only way I can get to it is to hit the "G" in the (frustratingly undismissable) Google search widget on my home screen. I only ever access it by accident, and it's remained turned off on my Pixel 6. I already had it turn off on my Pixel 6, and after some trial and error finding it I turned it off on my Motorola One 5G Ace just now, too.

Soul Glo
Aug 27, 2003

Just let it shine through
The Android Thread - wash your pants

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

withoutclass posted:

I think you couldn't turn it off when it first came out? I've been using a custom launcher for years, so my memory could be off!

BonoMan
Feb 20, 2002

Jade Ear Joe

Leon Trotsky 2012 posted:

Some of the default android apps are replaced with Google branded versions, but not sure if there is any actual functional difference? The Pixel OS look and Apps seem to be slightly different from other Android UIs, but not sure how much is functionally different or what I should know.

I think you are looking at this backwards (unless I'm misreading).

The Pixel phones are the pure vanilla Android experience. It's everything else that uses their own apps/reskins/etc. Also you probably are having vastly different OS version experiences if you're coming from an S3.

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

BonoMan posted:

I think you are looking at this backwards (unless I'm misreading).

The Pixel phones are the pure vanilla Android experience. It's everything else that uses their own apps/reskins/etc. Also you probably are having vastly different OS version experiences if you're coming from an S3.

They're technically not. They are Google's take on Android. They have a bunch of stuff/apps other Android phones do not. There's a vanilla Android out there that is the basis for all of the other versions. I think it is without the Google apps, but could be wrong.

repiv
Aug 13, 2009

Yeah the Nexus and Android One phones shipped very close to pure AOSP, but the Pixels have steadily diverged from AOSP and "Pixel Android" is now a skin in its own right. It's a relatively light skin, but a skin nonetheless, things like the launcher and camera app are proprietary to Pixel phones and no other manufacturers can ship them even if they wanted to.

sharkytm
Oct 9, 2003

Ba

By

Sharkytm doot doo do doot do doo

Fallen Rib

Twerk from Home posted:

My wife's Pixel 5a just had the display completely fail in a way that exactly matches this: https://support.google.com/pixelphone/answer/11833075?hl=en

It was purchased from the Google store 14 months ago, so it's out of warranty but should be covered by Googles extended 1 year repair program for this specific issue. Am I going to get a better quality repair out of Google mail in service or Asurion physical service? I'm pretty skeptical of Asurion repairs, but worried mail would take forever.

Mine did the same thing on Wednesday. Drove up to ubreakifix and they swapped on a new screen with no change. Tried a second screen after verifying that their screen worked: no change. They're replacing the motherboard under warranty. I've already bought a Pixel 7 and I'm swapping the 5a as a trade-in for a $350 credit. I would go to a store to get it replaced if you have one locally. Mine is 45 minutes away, and they gave me a loaner 4XL, which is really nice. I'm pretty disappointed because I baby my devices and this is the first one I've ever had fail.

sharkytm
Oct 9, 2003

Ba

By

Fallen Rib
Double post because it's not directly related.

I'm buying a Pixel 7, see above. Does anyone make a case that's like the old 2XL Spigen Thin Fit, where the case is just a hard plastic shell with minimal thickness? Spigen changed their cases and everything is TPU, which I'm not fond of.

Soul Glo
Aug 27, 2003

Just let it shine through

sharkytm posted:

Double post because it's not directly related.

I'm buying a Pixel 7, see above. Does anyone make a case that's like the old 2XL Spigen Thin Fit, where the case is just a hard plastic shell with minimal thickness? Spigen changed their cases and everything is TPU, which I'm not fond of.

The official Google cases for the 7 are essentially this, but they are nearly as slippery as the naked phone

BonoMan
Feb 20, 2002

Jade Ear Joe

repiv posted:

Yeah the Nexus and Android One phones shipped very close to pure AOSP, but the Pixels have steadily diverged from AOSP and "Pixel Android" is now a skin in its own right. It's a relatively light skin, but a skin nonetheless, things like the launcher and camera app are proprietary to Pixel phones and no other manufacturers can ship them even if they wanted to.

Interesting... I always thought that was the *point* of Pixels. To be the pure Android experience. I knew they had exclusive software features to the Pixels, but I always thought the skin/launcher was essentially base Android! Huh.

Twerk from Home
Jan 17, 2009

sharkytm posted:

Mine did the same thing on Wednesday. Drove up to ubreakifix and they swapped on a new screen with no change. Tried a second screen after verifying that their screen worked: no change. They're replacing the motherboard under warranty. I've already bought a Pixel 7 and I'm swapping the 5a as a trade-in for a $350 credit. I would go to a store to get it replaced if you have one locally. Mine is 45 minutes away, and they gave me a loaner 4XL, which is really nice. I'm pretty disappointed because I baby my devices and this is the first one I've ever had fail.

Yours was out of warranty and they did all that? Worth looking at.

I might turn my 6 into a 7, it looks like for $70 after tax you can do that because a pixel 6 trades for $479 and a 7 costs $499.

Edit: trade value on a 5a is only $325 now, and much less of you trade for a 6a.

BonoMan
Feb 20, 2002

Jade Ear Joe
Just got my 7 setup from trading in my 6.

I posted a while back about not being able to tell the 6s screen was 90hz. But for some reason I can definitely feel it on the 7. That makes no sense.

sharkytm
Oct 9, 2003

Ba

By

Fallen Rib

Twerk from Home posted:

Yours was out of warranty and they did all that? Worth looking at.

I might turn my 6 into a 7, it looks like for $70 after tax you can do that because a pixel 6 trades for $479 and a 7 costs $499.

Edit: trade value on a 5a is only $325 now, and much less of you trade for a 6a.

It was under warranty, bought last Black Friday. Trade in on the 5a was $350, which made it a no brainer. I just checked and it says $350 trade-in credit. The 4a 5G is $325 trade-in.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Twerk from Home
Jan 17, 2009

sharkytm posted:

It was under warranty, bought last Black Friday. Trade in on the 5a was $350, which made it a no brainer. I just checked and it says $350 trade-in credit. The 4a 5G is $325 trade-in.

Thanks, I had misread because Google calls it a "Pixel 5a with 5G" in some places, including the 1 year repair program.

Mine is out of warranty, purchased Sep 2021. I guess the next question I have is "is the Pixel 6a better than the 5a"? My wife and I both preferred the ergonomics and the camera on the 5a, the only reason I have a 6 is because it was hundreds cheaper than the 5a due to trade in deal bullshit.

Google store will let you trade in a 5a for a 6a for just the sales taxes right now.