Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: fart simpson)

genericnick
Dec 26, 2012

indigi posted:

I’m sorry for challenging the honor of the thread where people sincerely discuss how getting covid is worse than getting hiv

No one is claiming getting covid is worse than getting hiv as far as I can tell. Well, I guess there's at least one shovelbums rereg.

indigi posted:

I hope China doesn't abandon covid zero. I remember some people speculating that they would drop it immediately after the party congress and that didn’t happen so maybe they'll stay the course, though the tragic fire may give openers enough fuel within the party to start loosening restrictions

They did shorten the entry quarantine which I'd read as giving in to pressure from, in no particular order, middle class tourists, people with business travel expense accounts and academics that miss conferences. But overall it's the cheapest and most effective measure so that's not indicative of them having a good plan for continuing their zero covid policy. Or they'll do a sharp turnaround once they see it doesn't work out.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zodium
Jun 19, 2004

Mantis42 posted:

just don't get covid

it's that simple

mawarannahr
May 21, 2019

genericnick posted:

No one is claiming getting covid is worse than getting hiv as far as I can tell. Well, I guess there's at least one shovelbums rereg.

actually the discussion originated from epidemiologists who study HIV, HIV positive people, science editor of HIV magazine POZmagazine, and doctors who were discussing how it’s both a reasonable comparison and worse in some ways. it wasn’t just some random poster.

y’all are showing your whole asses right now

cenotaph
Mar 2, 2013

There are always a few posters in every big thread that take poo poo way too far, like that due in the coolzone who kept predicting the downfall of western civilization within six months, and people from outside the thread latch on to those takes and then decide everyone who read and posts in that thread believes that exact thing. It's really tedious. The covid thread has helped me, and I've helped my elderly grandparents and my aunt who takes the same DMARDS as I do get good masks.

lobster shirt
Jun 14, 2021

Mantis42 posted:

just don't get covid

done. ticket closed.

unwantedplatypus
Sep 6, 2012

Ardennes posted:

Maybe COVID was a no win scenario in the first place.

Loser mentality, no wonder the west is a failing civilization

mawarannahr
May 21, 2019

every thread has its own culture. Glenn greenwald is not r word alone. the only thread that startles me is the trump one.

ModernMajorGeneral
Jun 25, 2010

Mirello posted:

As someone who lives in china until very recently, and very pro lockdown (and locked down myself for a combined 21 days + a month of nothing being open in my city), I think covid 0 is over. People are pissed. It's the worst of both worlds, constant lockdowns and it's still ravaging the population. Destroying the economy. Thousands of people will die unnecessarily (way more than that fire) but china will follow the rest of the world. Omicron makes covid 0 impossible. It worked with alpha and delta, but omicron is just too much.

You are probably right, but on the other hand every western pundit screaming for China to abandon covid zero is probably good evidence it is the right policy

I like how occasionally a western article about how the ccp is terrorising the people with zero covid drops something like this in and then moves on without further reflection

quote:

Like in Australia during the zero COVID period earlier in the pandemic, people in China have largely supported the policies to live without having to worry about the virus.

There are many, perhaps even a majority who still do, particularly in smaller cities and rural areas.

'probably most people are still fine with the policy, who knows, doesn't matter, Xi is finished'

ModernMajorGeneral
Jun 25, 2010
also framing the current situation in china as the 'worst of both worlds' because there are harsh restrictions and ~30000 infections still happening a day is dumb. The worst of the covid open world isn't tens of thousands of cases, it's hundreds of thousands of cases and tens of thousands of deaths, which current Chinese policy is still continuing to avoid

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

alright, china...xi for biden - we trade straight up

Ardennes
May 12, 2002

ModernMajorGeneral posted:

also framing the current situation in china as the 'worst of both worlds' because there are harsh restrictions and ~30000 infections still happening a day is dumb. The worst of the covid open world isn't tens of thousands of cases, it's hundreds of thousands of cases and tens of thousands of deaths, which current Chinese policy is still continuing to avoid

Millions of lives were saved the question what to do next if a total lockdown policy isn’t possible.

Throatwarbler
Nov 17, 2008

by vyelkin

mawarannahr posted:

actually the discussion originated from epidemiologists who study HIV, HIV positive people, science editor of HIV magazine POZmagazine, and doctors who were discussing how it’s both a reasonable comparison and worse in some ways. it wasn’t just some random poster.

The mortality rate of acute HIV is practically zero. With current antiviral meds we've reduced the impact of chronic HIV in rich countries to a level almost negligible, certainly less than say diabetes.

COVID also wipes out naive T-cells and causes immune dis regulation, just like HIV. The long term effect is obviously unknown but the parallels are there, unless you think the current wave of respiratory illness among children in developed countries is causes by masks or "lockdowns" or something else that definitely happened in west. This is on top of all the organ damage, measurable and observable brain and cognitive damage, blood clotting and massive increases in stroke and cardiovascular disease that we are now already observing. There's some indication that long courses of paxlovid might be beneficial for chronic covid but who knows.

It's not at all an unreasonable comparison for anyone who knows anything about either COVID or HIV.

Cup Runneth Over
Aug 8, 2009

She said life's
Too short to worry
Life's too long to wait
It's too short
Not to love everybody
Life's too long to hate

indigi posted:

I’m sorry for challenging the honor of the thread where people sincerely discuss how getting covid is worse than getting hiv

I know you don't like to read too much so I'll keep it simple: didnt happen

Zodium posted:

it's that simple

respirator crew :krad:

strange feelings re Daisy
Aug 2, 2000

Westerners equate all Chinese protests to imminent regime change. It happens every single time.

We have protests all the time in the US and sometimes people get killed at them! Imagine if every time some Qanon chuds displayed a MAGA banner on a highway overpass the foreign press was like "Wow, the brave Americans are finally rising up to overthrow their evil government!"

The other thing is, foreign support directly undermines the protests. NGO activists always want to get involved and "help". Americans were freaking out when Russia bought lovely facebook ads to influence us. Imagine if an American protest movement was found to receive funding and strategic advice from China, Iran, or Russia. The protest would be declared a subversion op and the protestors would be declared dupes or traitors.

unwantedplatypus
Sep 6, 2012

Throatwarbler posted:

The mortality rate of acute HIV is practically zero. With current antiviral meds we've reduced the impact of chronic HIV in rich countries to a level almost negligible, certainly less than say diabetes.

COVID also wipes out naive T-cells and causes immune dis regulation, just like HIV. The long term effect is obviously unknown but the parallels are there, unless you think the current wave of respiratory illness among children in developed countries is causes by masks or "lockdowns" or something else that definitely happened in west. This is on top of all the organ damage, measurable and observable brain and cognitive damage, blood clotting and massive increases in stroke and cardiovascular disease that we are now already observing. There's some indication that long courses of paxlovid might be beneficial for chronic covid but who knows.

It's not at all an unreasonable comparison for anyone who knows anything about either COVID or HIV.

But if that was true; that would mean things are really bad. But they don't seem bad. I can still get my treats, so obviously you're just hysterical.

genericnick
Dec 26, 2012

mawarannahr posted:

If I'm not totally off the claim was that T-cell depletion in acute covid cases looks in some ways worse than aids. Of course we don't know longterm outcomes, but at this point It'd be a stretch to expect the outcome of a single infection to be as severe as an HIV infection. Not impossible, but still a stretch. Of course, it makes very little sense to talk about a single infection for a single person. And in terms of social impact it's vastly worse.

Ardennes posted:

Millions of lives were saved the question what to do next if a total lockdown policy isn’t possible.

Well, is it though?

lobster shirt
Jun 14, 2021

covid might not be worse than aids but these posts definitely are

Lostconfused
Oct 1, 2008

Time to lock down this thread until the outbreak is contained.

AnimeIsTrash
Jun 30, 2018
Probation
Can't post for 3 hours!

lobster shirt posted:

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

quote:

Recently, news of sporadic protests across China are gaining attention both in Reddit and elsewhere. There are massive protests in both Shanghai and Tsinghua University over the CCP's handling of the COVID situation.

Many Chinese are now asking the CCP to step down. While it may seem unlikely, I want to know. How will the downfall of the CCP in China affect the Philippines?

When the Soviet Union fell down in 1991, it had a tremendous effect not just in Europe and Asia but in the whole world as well. So I am sure CCP's downfall will affect us too, but in what way?
Really quite incredible how quickly the media can forge a narrative that people will uncritically swallow

genericnick
Dec 26, 2012

Not gonna post in the china thread about covid if they get it back under control. These are my demands.

DiscountDildos
Nov 8, 2017

I had COVID once and I'd give it a 7/10. Haven't been able to get my hands on AIDS yet but make sure to check out my YouTube channel for my full review after I do.

Gorman Thomas
Jul 24, 2007
President Xi, my people yearn to see Avatar 2 in 3D at the theater

mawarannahr
May 21, 2019

if China goes COVID positive I’m going to stop reading theory

Lostconfused
Oct 1, 2008

https://twitter.com/nexta_tv/status/1596913624601473024

paul_soccer12
Jan 5, 2020

by Fluffdaddy
F*CK COVID :hai: :colbert:

Majorian
Jul 1, 2009
Probation
Can't post for 3 hours!

mawarannahr posted:

if China goes COVID positive I’m going to stop reading theory

Look, if you can think of a better way to heighten the contradiction, BY ALL MEANS...

AnimeIsTrash
Jun 30, 2018
Probation
Can't post for 3 hours!
kazakhstan hosed my rear end

Lostconfused
Oct 1, 2008

Qazaqstan

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
https://china.usc.edu/looking-protesting-china

quote:

The Chinese government reported the number of "mass incidents" grew from 8,700 in 1993 to over 87,000 in 2005, the last year it released an official count. Sun Liping 孙立平, a sociology professor at Tsinghua University, estimated that there were up to 180,000 in 2010—or 490 protests every day.

Ah yeah I'm sure these protests are completely unprecedented and herald the coming fall of the CCP

DiscountDildos
Nov 8, 2017

"A rare example of dissent in Communist China" I write in each of my roughly monthly articles about some sort of protest in China

Antonymous
Apr 4, 2009

to be fair this one seems bigger (or at least my middle class friends are actually talking about it like it matters somehow) and the CIA or whoever has already had people leading chants and throwing in slogans like 'we want elections' 'we want freedom' 'xi jinping step down'

that banner that was held before the people's congress is getting quoted a lot

I'm sure it's nothing tho

crepeface
Nov 5, 2004

r*p*f*c*
https://twitter.com/quanyi_li2/status/1596785284221267968?t=d6L_SV-8TtS1FBB4Rpo8Eg&s=19

mila kunis
Jun 10, 2011

gradenko_2000 posted:

Really quite incredible how quickly the media can forge a narrative that people will uncritically swallow

im sure theres people but like how many.

Atrocious Joe
Sep 2, 2011

gradenko_2000 posted:

https://china.usc.edu/looking-protesting-china

Ah yeah I'm sure these protests are completely unprecedented and herald the coming fall of the CCP

I wonder how the NED types who track and publicize every protest in China for their day job feel when one gets boasted by the media throughout the West. Probably a little bitter but happy to get some time to shine and act like an expert.

crepeface
Nov 5, 2004

r*p*f*c*

Throatwarbler posted:

:words:

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

bad shoot majorian

Lostconfused
Oct 1, 2008

If only someone would invent a vaccine against modbrain.

tristeham
Jul 31, 2022

lobster shirt posted:

mawarannahr
May 21, 2019

China will grow larger https://twitter.com/yaneerbaryam/status/1596922071786741760

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA
:xickos:

DiscountDildos posted:

"A rare example of dissent in Communist China" I write in each of my roughly monthly articles about some sort of protest in China