Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Hihohe
Oct 4, 2008

Fuck you and the sun you live under

They really dropped the ball in not having a cheer like Deeprock Galactic.

Press V to "For the Emperor"!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Orv
May 4, 2011
Ah the nightmare of live services. There's a phenomenal power sword in Melk's shop but I don't have enough bougie bucks. I could have enough! If I played way too much today.

Chopstick Dystopia
Jun 16, 2010

lowest high and highest low loser of: WEED WEE
k

Diephoon posted:

I had a sniper just loving vanish in front of me. Outplayed I guess.

https://i.imgur.com/qYGfaHI.mp4

we had a sniper shooting us from behind a wall last night

S.J.
May 19, 2008

Just who the hell do you think we are?

Chopstick Dystopia posted:

In the last section of one of the daemon killing missions, with the train interchange thing, there are a ton of snipers, bombers, gunners, and otherwise that can and do spawn behind fences where you can't reach or see them, and it really sucks.

Abroham Lincoln
Sep 19, 2011

Note to self: This one's the good one

Hihohe posted:

They really dropped the ball in not having a cheer like Deeprock Galactic.

Press V to "For the Emperor"!

It amazes me that TF2 is 15 years old and nobody else has done voice lines like it does

like not even just spamming funny ones but actual useful pings/responses. Darktide doesn't even let you text chat to your group out of missions, it's nuts

GoldStandardConure
Jun 11, 2010

I have to kill fast
and mayflies too slow

Pillbug
I hit a rager on the head with a charged up thunderhammer, and the shockwave managed to blow me out of the level killing me instantly.

It was equal parts loving hilarious and frustrating.

Arghy
Nov 15, 2012

Abroham Lincoln posted:

It amazes me that TF2 is 15 years old and nobody else has done voice lines like it does

like not even just spamming funny ones but actual useful pings/responses. Darktide doesn't even let you text chat to your group out of missions, it's nuts

I constantly type "rock and stone!".

So fun fact about weeklys, if you know you got the time keep rerolling for the higher complexity ones because they have bigger rewards. Anyone get the pysker soulfire on ult giving warp charges build to work? I tried with the purgatus staff and everything would die before i could trigger the soulfire proc so i'm back to 1/3/3/2/2--warp charges giving toughness is the most reliable since idk wtf counts as a warp attack because void staff kills don't, head pop procs don't, and staff light attacks don't. I've stared at my toughness not regenerating as soulfire procced head pops and my staff attacks did nothing. As far as i can tell the only warp attacks are you're force sword charge up and manual head pops which is loving insane if thats whats supposed to give me 10% toughness.

Pysker definitely needs some tweaking but atm the only reliable thing is the void staff and maybe the surge while relying on your allies giving you warp charges in coherency.

DeathSandwich
Apr 24, 2008

I fucking hate puzzles.
Any time Space Marines in Darktide come up I inherently do the "I DON'T WANT TO PLAY AS loving PONTUS" comic in real life but with Space Marines instead.

You are playing as an imperial penal legion press-ganged into Inquisitorial service. I don't see Space Marines / Skittari / ect ever being on the block for this game. Maybe Darktide 2 if it's a continuation of Interrogator Rannick and his merry bunch of whoever-the-gently caress-he-gets-his-hands-on.

Given that there are 5 character slots, I fully expect they do one more full 'class' or have one planned and / or mostly finished. Given the delays it wouldn't surprise me if it was already mostly done and we get an announcement for it on the 30th as the 'special surprise'. Probably either a Ratling (given how much in game chatter is about them) or some sort of scum/desperado, or a Commissar that can do like the Payday 2 mastermind thing of shouting people awake when they get knocked down.

After that, we probably get subclasses for the existing archetypes. Something like Sergeant (tough front liner) and Operative (stealth) for Veteran. Pyromancer (fire) and Diviner (gunnery trick shots + pre-emptive defense) for Psyker. Incinerant (ranged/fire) and Praecentor (support) for Zealot. Bullgryn (berserker) and Gun Lugger (Heavy gunnery) for Ogryn.

DeathSandwich fucked around with this message at 07:28 on Nov 28, 2022

big cummers ONLY
Jul 17, 2005

I made a series of bad investments. Tarantula farm. The bottom fell out of the market.

Ok fine but it's not impossible to add weird characters and it's fun to talk about. Its make-believe and they can write whatever "a wizard did it"-style excuse they want for a xenos team member or a chaos space marine boss. It seems like a very weird thing to argue about.

Arghy
Nov 15, 2012

Technically we're part of an ordo hereticus warband--which i got mix up with ordo xenos so no xenos but yes to space marines and sisters of battle.

Red Mundus
Oct 22, 2010
Beastman character would be fun, aren't they in the empire? Just copy the models for beastmen from VT2.

Mendrian
Jan 6, 2013

I mean "Kruber is gonna be a grail knight" was a long running rumor a lot of people didn't want to believe because it wouldn't "make sense" and then it turned out to be good and also funny.

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

Has Not Actually Done Cocaine

Red Mundus posted:

Beastman character would be fun, aren't they in the empire? Just copy the models for beastmen from VT2.

Beastmen do exist as a type of Abhuman in 40k but they almost never show up in anything

big cummers ONLY
Jul 17, 2005

I made a series of bad investments. Tarantula farm. The bottom fell out of the market.

Mendrian posted:

I mean "Kruber is gonna be a grail knight" was a long running rumor a lot of people didn't want to believe because it wouldn't "make sense" and then it turned out to be good and also funny.

Grail knight as fifth darktide character, literally copy pasted from vt2

boredsatellite
Dec 7, 2013

Overall Warhammer Fantasy had bigger leeway for bending the rules being you know a dead setting and all before they revived it.

Adding Space Marines is much more complicated because there will be issues from the fans and GW would most likely have a lot of restrictions on it.

Vargs
Mar 27, 2010

You can be a space marine, but he's comically terrible at being a space marine. Just an incredibly incompetent, clumsy moron that was sent here because his chapter was tired of dealing with him.

Every time you reload, you drop your gun/magazine and need to spend 5+ seconds on the ground looking for it. You constantly hit your head on overhanging level geometry and take damage. If a sniper lines you up, you are forced to stand there, squint, and look at him with a puzzled expression until he shoots you. There is a 50% chance upon arriving in a mission that you forgot your melee weapon in the dropship.

This puts him on a similar power level to the other classes.

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

The sound of the ogryn breech grenade launcher hitting a sniper in the face is music

Cease to Hope
Dec 12, 2011

Gay Rat Wedding posted:

The sound of the ogryn breech grenade launcher hitting a sniper in the face is music

i am pretty sure the rumbler isn't the optimal ogryn gun but it is the most satisfying by a lot

toasterwarrior
Nov 11, 2011
Nah the rumbler is, if anything, probably the top tier Ogryn gun. Handles hordes and donks most things on the head for heavy damage/kill, very ammo efficient, and shockingly fast reload. Can actually hit distant targets, unlike 3 out of 5 Ogryn guns.

Tehan
Jan 19, 2011
In the lore, alien allies of Rogue Traders and Inquisitors can be granted official legal status as Sanctioned Xenos. Same as how witches are bad but sanctioned psykers are okay, and mutants are bad but ogryns are okay.

Chimp_On_Stilts
Aug 31, 2004
Holy Hell.

big cummers ONLY posted:

Grail knight as fifth darktide character, literally copy pasted from vt2

Honestly just take every hero from VT and drop them into DT. "They came through the warp, a crazy demon did it." Kaboom, now it fits the lore and I can play the Dwarf again.

Abroham Lincoln posted:

The precedent goes back even further, Tribes 2 had what I still think is the best voice line system in any multiplayer game. Instead of having to memorize which number corresponds to each line like in TF2, in Tribes you pressed V to open the voice menu then a series of logically chosen letters to say something. Examples:

- vvt: Voice - Very Quick - Thanks
- vvy: Voice - Very Quick - Yes
- vsdf: Voice - Self - Defend - Flag ("I will defend the flag")
- vfg: Voice - Flag - Give ("Give me the flag!")
- vgcg: Voice - Global - Compliment - Game ("Good Game")
- vgtg: Voice - Global Compliment - "I am The Greatest"

See a full list here if you're curious.

I miss this system. And Tribes. I'm sad it wasn't used by other titles. vvs.

Chimp_On_Stilts fucked around with this message at 09:22 on Nov 28, 2022

deep dish peat moss
Jul 27, 2006

Vargs posted:

You can be a space marine, but he's comically terrible at being a space marine. Just an incredibly incompetent, clumsy moron that was sent here because his chapter was tired of dealing with him.

Every time you reload, you drop your gun/magazine and need to spend 5+ seconds on the ground looking for it. You constantly hit your head on overhanging level geometry and take damage. If a sniper lines you up, you are forced to stand there, squint, and look at him with a puzzled expression until he shoots you. There is a 50% chance upon arriving in a mission that you forgot your melee weapon in the dropship.

This puts him on a similar power level to the other classes.

isn't that the Ogryn

Chimp_On_Stilts
Aug 31, 2004
Holy Hell.

deep dish peat moss posted:

isn't that the Ogryn

Give the Ogryn a set of found, discarded Space Marine armor that's all hosed up and doesn't fit right.

Cease to Hope
Dec 12, 2011

Tehan posted:

In the lore, alien allies of Rogue Traders and Inquisitors can be granted official legal status as Sanctioned Xenos. Same as how witches are bad but sanctioned psykers are okay, and mutants are bad but ogryns are okay.

The Warhammer "lore" is, as ever, constantly contradictory on this sort of thing, but it is worth mentioning that the player characters in Darktide are part of an inquisitor's warband, and inquisitors get to break all the rules. (There's even some dialogue in DT about how we're all above the rules etc.) It would be possible for pretty much any reasonably-controllable character in 40K to end up in an inquisitor's warband, especially if that inquisitor is a radical.

This includes pretty much anyone who works for the Imperium, squats or other abhumans, just straight up mutants, mundane heretics (in the sense of ideological or theological disagreements with the Imperial Creed), Eldar of various sorts (esp Exodites, seers, Rangers, or possibly even a Harlequin), and various wild-rear end servitors. For particularly radical inquisitors (who are liable to be declared heretics at any given time), this can also include heretical warband members, like worshippers of Chaos, artificially-intelligent robots, demonhosts, or really anything that can be kept under control well enough to be useful.

Dan Abnett, who's credited as lead writer on Darktide, is best known in 40K circles for his books about the adventures of a radical inquisitor.

Valtonen
May 13, 2014

Tanks still suck but you don't gotta hand it to the Axis either.

Chimp_On_Stilts posted:

Honestly just take every hero from VT and drop them into DT. "They came through the warp, a crazy demon did it." Kaboom, now it fits the lore and I can play the Dwarf again.

The precedent goes back even further, Tribes 2 had what I still think is the best voice line system in any multiplayer game. Instead of having to memorize which number corresponds to each line like in TF2, in Tribes you pressed V to open the voice menu then a series of logically chosen letters to say something. Examples:

- vvt: Voice - Very Quick - Thanks
- vvy: Voice - Very Quick - Yes
- vsdf: Voice - Self - Defend - Flag ("I will defend the flag")
- vfg: Voice - Flag - Give ("Give me the flag!")
- vgcg: Voice - Global - Compliment - Game ("Good Game")
- vgtg: Voice - Global Compliment - "I am The Greatest"

See a full list here if you're curious.

I miss this system. And Tribes. I'm sad it wasn't used by other titles. vvs.

Planetside 1 had this exact same voice macro config, with few additions.

SplitSoul
Dec 31, 2000

Oh, the Boltgun works much better with the reload feat. :getin:

dogstile
May 1, 2012

fucking clocks
how do they work?
Wait until you stack it with the elite kill reload feat

CODChimera
Jan 29, 2009

i wanna play as a warp spider

deep dish peat moss
Jul 27, 2006

Abroham Lincoln
Sep 19, 2011

Note to self: This one's the good one

Finally really trying veteran and just got a recon lasgun and power sword and holy poo poo :blastu:

boredsatellite
Dec 7, 2013

Cease to Hope posted:

The Warhammer "lore" is, as ever, constantly contradictory on this sort of thing, but it is worth mentioning that the player characters in Darktide are part of an inquisitor's warband, and inquisitors get to break all the rules. (There's even some dialogue in DT about how we're all above the rules etc.) It would be possible for pretty much any reasonably-controllable character in 40K to end up in an inquisitor's warband, especially if that inquisitor is a radical.

Another group that does bend the rules are rogue traders. And can have a very esoteric group.

Which coincidentally has game coming out as well

raverrn
Apr 5, 2005

Unidentified spacecraft inbound from delta line.

All Silpheed squadrons scramble now!

drat, I must be pretty close!

Kenlon
Jun 27, 2003

Digitus Impudicus
Why is this game so bad at giving you actual, useful information in the UI? What does the special attack on Heavy Swords do, other than do a neat animation? What does the Combat Shotgun special even do, since the round you specifically insert doesn't seem to do a drat thing different than what your regular fire does?

CODChimera
Jan 29, 2009

Kenlon posted:

Why is this game so bad at giving you actual, useful information in the UI? What does the special attack on Heavy Swords do, other than do a neat animation? What does the Combat Shotgun special even do, since the round you specifically insert doesn't seem to do a drat thing different than what your regular fire does?

the shotgun alt fire loads a shell that fires a widespread burst for hordes. i only know this because someone here told me

Fishstick
Jul 9, 2005

Does not require preheating

Chopstick Dystopia posted:

Specials in general are way too comfortable dipping in and out of spawn closets, or setting up behind chain link fences in pitch black unaccessable areas theyre clearly not meant to hang out. Seeing 2 bombers dump grenades and duck back in their cubby, or snipers set p behind cover behind a chainlink area during the water supply finale so you cant hit em.

This combines with the jank rear end hitboxes for fences/railings to make it real frustrating sometimes. Why can they snipe me through railings but i can't even ping em, or hit them with a rumbler? I can literally see the projectile about to pass through railings but then just, bounce off.

Third World Reagan
May 19, 2008

Imagine four 'mechs waiting in a queue. Time works the same way.
I desire to play a necrumunda gang

deep dish peat moss
Jul 27, 2006

Fishstick posted:

This combines with the jank rear end hitboxes for fences/railings to make it real frustrating sometimes. Why can they snipe me through railings but i can't even ping em, or hit them with a rumbler? I can literally see the projectile about to pass through railings but then just, bounce off.

This may be a weapon-to-weapon thing, autoguns don't seem to be blocked by any fences.

Demiurge4
Aug 10, 2011

Dunno if this has been posted yet, but here's a website that collates weapon traits and gives a range of available percentages. It also implies the power sword cleave is bugged because there's a trait that specifically boosts energized cleaves.

https://darktide.gameslantern.com/

Ra Ra Rasputin
Apr 2, 2011

Fishstick posted:

Specials in general are way too comfortable dipping in and out of spawn closets, or setting up behind chain link fences in pitch black unaccessable areas theyre clearly not meant to hang out. Seeing 2 bombers dump grenades and duck back in their cubby, or snipers set p behind cover behind a chainlink area during the water supply finale so you cant hit em.

I'd be happy if they replaced the chainlink fence at water treatment with a actual door, hate whenever a sniper or bomber spawns behind that.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fishstick
Jul 9, 2005

Does not require preheating
Also really wish Vet's Volley Fire persisted for the full duration even if you switch to melee. Sometimes I pop it just to see where the next wave of specials is coming from, or to pop a flamer in a horde but have to switch to melee to block the magic poxwalker spawn behind me, and now all the bonus is gone and youre out an ult.