Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

COOKIE DELIGHT
Jun 24, 2006
I guess you could say..I was born naturally influent.
I've been trying to find a chicken of the woods ever since I learned they existed. I had been looking in the woods when out mountain biking, but in hindsight, it seems more obvious that they would be located around town where people often trim their oaks.

While out grabbing breakfast yesterday, I spotted a huge cluster on an oak, but the yard is gated off (in the historic district, huge property, mega expensive homes). Couldn't exactly hop the fence to knock and ask.

I'm planning to use Halloween as an excuse to go by there this evening and see if they will let me climb up and harvest it. It's about the size of a soccer ball and looks fresh as hell. So excited.

*editing my boring snipe to add pics from recent excursions in the woods. Completely new to this, no idea what any of this is.

COOKIE DELIGHT fucked around with this message at 18:27 on Oct 31, 2022

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dik Hz
Feb 22, 2004

Fun with Science

Just go knock and ask. Most people will say yes.

GodspeedSphere
Apr 25, 2008

Dik Hz posted:

Just go knock and ask. Most people will say yes.

If you do a good job explaining yourself you'll be fine. As soon as they figure out your not selling or preaching you'll be good. I even have a little mental script along the lines of "Hey, so sorry to be a bother but I'm super excited about mushrooms and here's a ton of details and by the way I think maybe just maybe you have something there!"

Dik Hz
Feb 22, 2004

Fun with Science

Also, make sure to say they’re culinary mushrooms. Not that you’re looking to get high.

COOKIE DELIGHT
Jun 24, 2006
I guess you could say..I was born naturally influent.
That's all helpful advice, appreciate that!

I've knocked twice but it was pretty obvious no one was home either attempt. It doesn't look as fresh at this point, but figure I might as well go try again today. I think I might leave a note just to give them a heads up that they have tree fungus in their big beautiful tree.

Looks small in the photo but this oak is an absolute monster. Had to zoom way in, so the quality is not that great.

Dik Hz
Feb 22, 2004

Fun with Science

That’s a beauty. That tree is dying though. Gonna be hella expensive for them.

elise the great
May 1, 2012

You do not have to be good. You only have to let the soft animal of your body love what it loves.
The WORST chanterelle season here in WA. Went out with a goon buddy over the weekend and found a few, but I’m not holding out hope for more.

Maybe next year…

Xand_Man
Mar 2, 2004

If what you say is true
Wutang might be dangerous

In weird jar news there's definitely both a grey mold and the oyster mycelium and since being moved outside the oyster mycelium is slowly winning. I may toss Fungus Thunderdome at some point but it's fun to observe; assuming the oysters win is there any problem with using the spawn for an outdoor bed?

big scary monsters
Sep 2, 2011

-~Skullwave~-

elise the great posted:

The WORST chanterelle season here in WA. Went out with a goon buddy over the weekend and found a few, but I’m not holding out hope for more.

Maybe next year…

Been a weird season here, the first few weeks seemed good for mushrooms and then we had ages of barely anything. Now suddenly in November we've been finding loads of huge chanterelles - usually the real deal are long gone by now and if you're lucky you'll find some funnel chanterelles. It's been pretty warm though, meant to finally cool down a bit to more usual temperatures this week so that could be the end of the season.

e:

That was from an evening dog walk a couple weeks back, wasn't even looking for any mushrooms.

big scary monsters fucked around with this message at 15:14 on Nov 15, 2022

sexy tiger boobs
Aug 23, 2002

Up shit creek with a turd for a paddle.

Good day out in the central oregon cascades.

A good chunk of them will be going into 2 batches of this stuffing (dressing). Made it several times now and it always turns out amazing.

https://whatsgabycooking.com/wild-mushroom-stuffing/

Arven
Sep 23, 2007
What are the red ones? I had them growing everywhere here in PA this year but couldn't ID them.

Scarodactyl
Oct 22, 2015

They look like russulas.

Tafferling
Oct 22, 2008

DOOT DOOT
ALL ABOARD THE ISS POLOKONZERVA
They definitely are russulas but here in Italy full bright red/fuchsia means peppery.
Usually I only go for violet or green ones and even then I taste proof every one, russulas are really variable.

sexy tiger boobs
Aug 23, 2002

Yeah I nibble test all the russulas too, they all checked out as mild tasting. They're color can be so variable I don't trust any of them. Was surprised that the bright red one wasn't spicy but here we are.

Scarodactyl
Oct 22, 2015

What causes pepperiness in mushrooms? Is it pleasant?

elise the great
May 1, 2012

You do not have to be good. You only have to let the soft animal of your body love what it loves.
It’s some chemical compound and it is NOT pleasant. We have some red/pink choice russulae in the states but you gotta nibble test them to rule out bitterness or MOUTH BURN AAAA. The spicy flavor isn’t tasty either, just foul and hot.

Scarodactyl
Oct 22, 2015

I'm seeing some references to using peppery bolete as a seasoning but maybe that was mostly a bad standin for black pepper. Does sound intriguing even if it's awful.

the yeti
Mar 29, 2008

memento disco

Scarodactyl posted:

What causes pepperiness in mushrooms? Is it pleasant?

With russulas and milk caps, It’s acrid and bitter underneath the pungency, unfortunately, otherwise I’d definitely try to infuse something or use it as seasoning.

It’s definitely interesting even if unpalatable; taste enough bitter milk caps or boletes and you can see some differences between species.

ThePopeOfFun
Feb 15, 2010

I’ve walked past many like Russulas. Never could tell if the red ones were good or Emetica.

Tafferling
Oct 22, 2008

DOOT DOOT
ALL ABOARD THE ISS POLOKONZERVA
Well, emetic russula are generally smaller and more slender than the good ones. There are good reddish russulae but not good enough to run the risk of ruining a dish. I'll keep picking cianoxantha and virescens.

sexy tiger boobs
Aug 23, 2002

I see folks in ID groups saying the peppery ones are edible too with the right preparation, I guess pickling or parboiling takes care of it but I'm not that motivated.

the yeti
Mar 29, 2008

memento disco

sexy tiger boobs posted:

I see folks in ID groups saying the peppery ones are edible too with the right preparation, I guess pickling or parboiling takes care of it but I'm not that motivated.

Yeah that’s theoretically an approach for a number of species including Amanita muscaria, but if you’re not subsistence eating or at least going to end up with something truly delicious (afaik muscaria so prepared tastes of nothing, dunno about russulas) it seems like a silly risk

Scarodactyl
Oct 22, 2015

A couple randos online say they like the peppery bolete, most that it's awful and inedible. Wonder if it's individual taste thing or intraspecies variations. Wish I was more up on shrooms and could try it myself.

the yeti
Mar 29, 2008

memento disco

Scarodactyl posted:

A couple randos online say they like the peppery bolete, most that it's awful and inedible. Wonder if it's individual taste thing or intraspecies variations. Wish I was more up on shrooms and could try it myself.

Some people can’t taste the bitter in a few of the common bitter boletes in Tylopilus, so it’s possible. The peppery bolete might exhibit some regional differences too for all I know.

Dik Hz
Feb 22, 2004

Fun with Science

My Russian friend said they’d boil twice and then pickle peppery boletes to make them edible, but it wasn’t worth the effort.

Never tried it myself.

Kuule hain nussivan
Nov 27, 2008

Boiling in milk is (apparently) a French method for them.

Tias
May 25, 2008

Pictured: the patron saint of internet political arguments (probably)

This avatar made possible by a gift from the Religionthread Posters Relief Fund
uhh trust me, getting the wrong russulas is NOT a stand-in for peppers or chilis. It's a harsh, very acrid burning sensation that tastes nothing like pepper.

Tias fucked around with this message at 17:12 on Mar 9, 2023

Arven
Sep 23, 2007
So this year all of the mushroom spore suppliers seem to be offering chicken of the woods spores and plugs! Just a year or two ago I read that chicken of the woods was under study for cultivation, so they must have figured it out. I ordered a set and I will post the results when I get some in a year or so.

GodspeedSphere
Apr 25, 2008

Got me some cotw and maitake substrate for inoculating logs from Field and Forest Products. Set it all up about three to four months ago and have been letting them do their thing downstairs. I'm hoping the snow will be done this month and I can bury these early to mid April. I'll take some photos for the thread of anyone is interested in watching me bumble through it.

MrOnBicycle
Jan 18, 2008
Wait wat?
I don't know anything about mushrooms except common stuff you find in the grocery store. My wife has a ton of plants, and we found these guys hiding under a big leaf. I've spent some time on various websites / apps trying to find what they are, but don't seem to find something that fully matches. Any clue? We're in Sweden if it helps, and the plants / soil should be from here.

Tias
May 25, 2008

Pictured: the patron saint of internet political arguments (probably)

This avatar made possible by a gift from the Religionthread Posters Relief Fund
Looks like Lepiota, likely L. Brunneoincarnata or L. Helveola. They're a kind of agaric, and likely very poisonous.

MrOnBicycle
Jan 18, 2008
Wait wat?

Tias posted:

Looks like Lepiota, likely L. Brunneoincarnata or L. Helveola. They're a kind of agaric, and likely very poisonous.

Thanks! Will be removing them just in case one gets dislodged and falls down (we have a dog).

freeedr
Feb 21, 2005

Mantle
May 15, 2004

Not the best condition when I found them but I picked two edible looking ones.

Hooplah
Jul 15, 2006

Hey, I also just found some shaggy ink caps! First time ever positively IDing them, but unfortunately these are in a high traffic area in the city so I won't be tasting them.

Still happy to add a species to my list!

freeedr
Feb 21, 2005

elise the great
May 1, 2012

Mica caps! 😍😍

Hooplah
Jul 15, 2006

i picked 10 morels last night. someone else definitely got to my spot first, but i guess that happens when you get out on sunday evening

wondering how good the flush must have been if i got the scraps and was still able to scrounge 10 from one little area

Radiation Cow
Oct 23, 2010

It's mushroom season and there are plenty of Amanitas floating around. Planning ok going actual mushrooming for some pine rings in the near future.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

freeedr
Feb 21, 2005

I love a rainy week.