Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

neaden
Nov 4, 2012

A changer of ways

fadam posted:

Thinking about throwing a cube together. What was that site that sells the cool reusable booster packs?

Cubeamajigs

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

born on a buy you
Aug 14, 2005

Odd Fullback
Bird Gang
Sack Them All
If only there was a group of people that could moderate forum content

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

W.T. Fits posted:

"Attack Left" was a house rule your group decided to run with, because that's what you all liked. Commander defaults to "free-for-all" or "chaos" as it was sometimes referred to in the early days of tcgs. Politics is just something that comes up organically in a free-for-all multiplayer environment, and you as an individual player are free to go along with it if it suits you, or simply ignore it and focus on trying to win by outplaying the rest of the table.

Regardless, Commander is not just people making things up as they go, and your labeling it as "Calvinball" comes across as you being rudely dismissive because it doesn't take into account that a lot of time and thought goes into deck construction, and that piloting these 100 card singleton decks takes a surprising amount of careful planning and skill because of how many potential interactions there are between such a huge pool of cards from across 30 years of the game's history. The whole point of the format is finding an interesting Legendary creature and saying, "Can I build a cool deck based around this card's abilities that does something awesome within the limitations of the format? And if I do, can I win with it against all these other crazy decks out there?"

This is a good post about Commander.

Let's stop having another rehash of "commander: bad? or not bad?" in the thread, thanks. It's been done to death, and there's also a separate Commander thread.

born on a buy you posted:

If only there was a group of people that could moderate forum content

If only.

Guys I'm kind of sick and have been busy with family stuff and my sick cat so I'm sorry this thread got ignored for like three days. Please don't use a gap in the attention of mods as an opportunity to be assholes to each other.

Vidmaster
Oct 26, 2002

Leperflesh posted:

Guys I'm kind of sick and have been busy with family stuff and my sick cat so I'm sorry this thread got ignored for like three days. Please don't use a gap in the attention of mods as an opportunity to be assholes to each other.

Get well soon, Leperflesh and Lepercat!

fadam
Apr 23, 2008

Thanks!

Fantastic Foreskin
Jan 6, 2013

A golden helix streaked skyward from the Helvault. A thunderous explosion shattered the silver monolith and Avacyn emerged, free from her prison at last.

Orange Fluffy Sheep posted:

I prefer Raffine, Scheming Seer to all of you, because when was the last time any of you jerks let me Connive X, where X is the number of attacking creatures?

Last week? See if I do it again if this is how you're going to pay me back.

Han Yolo
Feb 14, 2012

fadam posted:

Thinking about throwing a cube together. What was that site that sells the cool reusable booster packs?

Cubeamajigs? https://cardamajigs.com/collections/cubeamajigs

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012

Leperflesh posted:

Sorry for the leprosy

Terratina
Jun 30, 2013
Meanwhile I'm just quietly seething at the newest member of a playgroup, who brought out a Durnan commander deck only to reveal his true colours with Niv Mizzert + Charisma and an Oathbreaker Geyadrone Dihada deck consisting of only of counters and removal.

Heck, after our first meetup, he was like "now I can reveal my true villainous self mwahaha" and boosted about winning a Scars of Mirrodin block draft.

Of course, I am totally not salty about him being welcomed with his flavour of decks while folks object to Void Winnower in Rakdos, Lord of Riots or being accidentally locked out of the game by Reidanne by only running snow lands. :V

MrL_JaKiri
Sep 23, 2003

A bracing glass of carrot juice!
Played my first paper magic in about 5 years (other than against people using decks I've built) yesterday, it's Good Fun and I can Recommend

W.T. Fits posted:

"Attack Left" was a house rule your group decided to run with, because that's what you all liked.

Attack Left was a very widely used semi-official rule that has been codified in the MTG Comprehensive Rules since the section "Multiplayer Rules" was added (Rule 604 back in 2005, Rule 803 now) fwiw

Pocky In My Pocket
Jan 27, 2005

Giant robots shouldn't fight!

When multiplayering we tended to either do pentagram (5 players sit in a star, you win if you elimate the two players opposite you) or assassin (you have an identification card and a secret target card, you can only target cards of and attack your target. if your target dies you gain their target card. If you have your own target card you can target anyone. If you or your permanents are targeted you can retaliate for one turn)

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

Pocky In My Pocket posted:

When multiplayering we tended to either do pentagram (5 players sit in a star, you win if you elimate the two players opposite you) or assassin (you have an identification card and a secret target card, you can only target cards of and attack your target. if your target dies you gain their target card. If you have your own target card you can target anyone. If you or your permanents are targeted you can retaliate for one turn)

That assassin mode is pretty neat.

Fuzzy Mammal
Aug 15, 2001

Lipstick Apathy
So for shits and giggles I checked out the 30th anniversary sale webpage. Zero queue to get to checkout, unlike for the advent calnedar which was like 30 minutes. I think there is very little demand.

th3t00t
Aug 14, 2007

GOOD CLEAN FOOTBALL
Just checked the MTG 30 website and I was able to add a pack to my cart. I assume that since it's not already sold out that basically nobody is buying this crap?

Dysgenesis
Jul 12, 2012

HAVE AT THEE!

Just checked it out for myself. Once the page had loaded no queue at all.

Also lmao at the packs containing 3 basic lands.

Archenteron
Nov 3, 2006

:marc:
I miss Conspiracy

weekly font
Dec 1, 2004

Everytime I try to fly I fall
Without my wings
I feel so small
Guess I need you baby...

Looks like it’s sold out now. Whales gonna whale.

Devor
Nov 30, 2004
Lurking more.

weekly font posted:

Looks like it’s sold out now. Whales gonna whale.

It would be barely cynical at all to assume they pulled the listing to maintain the air of exclusivity

The only thing worse than buying it today, would be buying it today, and then seeing that there's a big pile of them that no one wants to buy at the price you just paid

HootTheOwl
May 13, 2012

Hootin and shootin
Was it not print to order?

Ego Trip
Aug 28, 2012

A tenacious little mouse!

Can't have a limited supply of them if it's print to order.

I brought my Drake
Jul 10, 2014

These high-G injections have some serious side effects after pulling so many jumps.

According to this PleasantKenobi video, Wizards is paying other non-Magic TCG content creators to open Magic 30 stuff. https://youtu.be/mQKjMrcL0v8

HootTheOwl
May 13, 2012

Hootin and shootin

Ego Trip posted:

Can't have a limited supply of them if it's print to order.

Secret Lairs try it.

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012
Gonna laugh real hard if any of those $1000 fake magic packs have print errors and somebody gets 15 shivan dragon or w/e out of theirs

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy
I hope every pack has 15 foil black lotus, and nothing else

generatrix
Aug 8, 2008

Nothing hurts like a scrape

Dysgenesis posted:

Also lmao at the packs containing 3 basic lands.

Increases the authenticity of opening packs of Beta.

imweasel09
May 26, 2014

I brought my Drake posted:

According to this PleasantKenobi video, Wizards is paying other non-Magic TCG content creators to open Magic 30 stuff. https://youtu.be/mQKjMrcL0v8

I've definitely been hearing from friends into Yu-Gi-Oh that they got the YouTubers for that game to do pack openings because they apparently couldn't get magic people to touch it with a 10ft poll.

Judgy Fucker
Mar 24, 2006

imweasel09 posted:

I've definitely been hearing from friends into Yu-Gi-Oh that they got the YouTubers for that game to do pack openings because they apparently couldn't get magic people to touch it with a 10ft poll.

https://twitter.com/SaffronOlive/status/1597264683408691201?s=20&t=vfLHdClRl-t2STfkhrnXyw

I won't claim to be an expert on the MTG content creator sphere or anything but I always got the impression that Saffron Olive tends to be a bit more on the positive side of things, so, yeesh

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy
I wonder if anyone is gonna attempt to draft it.

Strong Sauce
Jul 2, 2003

You know I am not really your father.

Singaporeans are saying they never buy from wizardsofthecoast account on this site.. but lol at 791 available...

https://shopee.sg/Magic-The-Gathering-30th-Anniversary-Edition-i.520514080.21861499451

Pablo Nergigante
Apr 16, 2002

Judgy Fucker posted:

https://twitter.com/SaffronOlive/status/1597264683408691201?s=20&t=vfLHdClRl-t2STfkhrnXyw

I won't claim to be an expert on the MTG content creator sphere or anything but I always got the impression that Saffron Olive tends to be a bit more on the positive side of things, so, yeesh

It sold out. Lol

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Lots of speculation they paused the sale and it didn't actually sell out, based on order numbers or some nerd poo poo idk

Strong Sauce
Jul 2, 2003

You know I am not really your father.

their wording is all in the passive tone

LGD
Sep 25, 2004

Pablo Nergigante posted:

It sold out. Lol

but did it? peep that wording

https://twitter.com/wizards_magic/status/1597284108228755456?s=20&t=SCeNwptfRy9zwuxcYxL3CQ
(comments are p funny)

e: also some anecdotal evidence given reported low queue times vs. random secret lairs (even with rubber necking), simultaneous pull of product in all markets, and few/no sales via observable channels

https://twitter.com/forestsfailyou/status/1597298447593672704?s=20&t=SCeNwptfRy9zwuxcYxL3CQ

otoh that's all circumstantial and people have incentive to engage in some motivated reasoning, and speculation is difficult/impossible b/c of how incredibly cagey Wizards has been about the amount printed/etc.

LGD fucked around with this message at 19:52 on Nov 28, 2022

CatstropheWaitress
Nov 26, 2017

Odd moment of solidarity across mtg fans that everyone seems on the same page about how much they hate this product and everything it means.

CatstropheWaitress fucked around with this message at 20:05 on Nov 28, 2022

Silhouette
Nov 16, 2002

SONIC BOOM!!!

To be fair, we don't hate everything about it, every sane mtg fan is thrilled at the soft breaking of the reserve list but appalled at everything else :v:

HootTheOwl
May 13, 2012

Hootin and shootin
A breaking of the reserved list is a breaking of the reserved list and while its hilarious this is how they did it, maybe next time I'll get a trop...

I brought my Drake
Jul 10, 2014

These high-G injections have some serious side effects after pulling so many jumps.

More people need to be posting that 7th edition greed art in response. Much as I love the Izzy art, it's not so much somebody barfing up gold as it is the western paladin reclining on a gigantic pile of gold airing out his junk.

Reynold
Feb 14, 2012

Suffer not the unclean to live.
I really want this to be a huge flop. gently caress everything about this 30th anniversary product. It was a huge slap to the face for anyone who has enjoyed this game. I've posted before about how just hearing about the cost of this bullshit drove me away from buying expensive singles and into the arms of a print shop. I'll be interested to see the effects this release has on products in the future.

Serf
May 5, 2011

I think the signal is that if they ever break the reserved list for real they will do so in a way that still charges you far more than is reasonable (reasonable is 33 cents a card btw).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!
It would be amazing if zero sold lol