Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Zopotantor
Feb 24, 2013

...und ist er drin dann lassen wir ihn niemals wieder raus...

Roblo posted:

Although it seems super backwards (it is) its not as much of an issue as it might seem. I dont think many trains do it these days so its not like there is poo poo everywhere, well no more than normal anyway.

Apparently it used to mean lots of tomato plants grew inbetween the rails from all the BLT sandwiches people had eaten on trains.

When the train is moving fast enough the flushed poo poo just becomes a thin mist that settles on everything close to the rail line.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7-KQKNHHMrc

VictualSquid
Feb 29, 2012

Gently enveloping the target with indiscriminate love.

Chopstix posted:

Trying to “re-rail” back onto the topic of historical facts, apparently old west trains used “hopper” toilets where they just dumped it onto the tracks, and it is still being done that way in England apparently

https://www.theguardian.com/uk-news/2019/nov/03/uk-railway-firms-faiil-to-clean-up-waste-dumping-act
I think they still use them most places. Germany stopped buying new trains with such toilets around 30 years ago, but you can still use them on old cars.
You can recognize them because they got a polite sign on the toilet, to please not flush while the train is parked in a station.

barbecue at the folks
Jul 20, 2007

The last time I saw those toilets in a Finnish train was in the 2010s when they sometimes still used old rolling stock from the 1970s to help with rush hour. I got a giggle out of watching the ground whizz by underneath. We still say "toimii kuin junan vessa" ("works like a train toilet") to give praise to something that's simple and effective.

RFC2324
Jun 7, 2012

http 418

Biplane posted:

They banned that poo poo like 30 years ago here in norway but I remember flushing the train toilet aa a child over and over again just to see the tracks speed by through the shitter lol

I have a vague memory of doing this on a bus ride, tho I'm not entirely sure I was a child

Tristesse
Feb 23, 2006

Chasing the dream.
I've worked for 2 companies based out of Boston while I live in the Philly area. One of those companies had a weird travel policy where they preferred to book your trip by train and so I have had the direct experience of going from Philly to Boston by train and by plane.

My conclusion is that some kind of higher up in the company had such an incredible phobia of flying that they dictated that policy, they were series train nerds, or someone was smuggling drugs or something.

Train pros- Views were cool for like 70% of the trip. Cool cityscapes you get to check out at eye level and later the Connecticut coast was alternatingly beautiful and filled with crazy industrial ruins so that was neat. There are zero security screens of any kind for passengers or luggage if you want to be shady. Train stations are cool sometimes and the station had a bar with good beer that wasn't even overpriced.

Train cons- The trip takes 10-15 hours depending on whatever voodoo makes trains go fast or slow. You can sleep if you're brave or read a bunch I guess.

Seriously the plane trip takes 2 hours and costs 200 bucks less usually.

Zopotantor
Feb 24, 2013

RFC2324 posted:

I have a vague memory of doing this on a bus ride, tho I'm not entirely sure I was a child

Were you travelling with the Dave Matthews Band?

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
The Dave Matthews Band Chicago making GBS threads incident broke on the Something Awful forums before it hot the press.

Cacafuego
Jul 22, 2007

Tristesse posted:

I've worked for 2 companies based out of Boston while I live in the Philly area. One of those companies had a weird travel policy where they preferred to book your trip by train and so I have had the direct experience of going from Philly to Boston by train and by plane.

My conclusion is that some kind of higher up in the company had such an incredible phobia of flying that they dictated that policy, they were series train nerds, or someone was smuggling drugs or something.

Train pros- Views were cool for like 70% of the trip. Cool cityscapes you get to check out at eye level and later the Connecticut coast was alternatingly beautiful and filled with crazy industrial ruins so that was neat. There are zero security screens of any kind for passengers or luggage if you want to be shady. Train stations are cool sometimes and the station had a bar with good beer that wasn't even overpriced.

Train cons- The trip takes 10-15 hours depending on whatever voodoo makes trains go fast or slow. You can sleep if you're brave or read a bunch I guess.

Seriously the plane trip takes 2 hours and costs 200 bucks less usually.

10-15 hours from Philly to Boston by train?!? That’s nuts! It’s like 6 hours by car. I’ve driven it enough to know.

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

Trains are great if you have a proper sleeper car where you can lock a door and lie down for a nap.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KG53Pr3pFg4

Though this still isn't exactly a utopia. The berth he takes is about $220 and some of the lower level rooms are too short to even stand up in, and the cheapest "seats" are actually empty spaces of carpet on the floor with a small blanket and barely any separation between berths.

Gravitas Shortfall
Jul 17, 2007

Utility is seven-eighths Proximity.

There's a new Arrows Vs. Armour video and it's pretty incredible how well the plate stands up to the arrows and the chain gets punched through like it wasn't there (with the exception of the aventail).

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ds-Ev5msyzo

Such Fun
May 6, 2013

Gravitas Shortfall posted:

There's a new Arrows Vs. Armour video and it's pretty incredible how well the plate stands up to the arrows and the chain gets punched through like it wasn't there (with the exception of the aventail).

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ds-Ev5msyzo

I really enjoyed watching that, thanks!

Any archery experts here who could comment on the stance of the archer in the video? He’s clearly a great shot, but it looks very awkward with his chest way out of the center of gravity.
Or is that how you actually fire a 160 pound bow, and film and tv just stepped away from the ‘pooping with a herniated disk’ look?

ThisIsJohnWayne
Feb 23, 2007
Ooo! Look at me! NO DON'T LOOK AT ME!

Such Fun posted:

Any archery experts here who could comment on the stance of the archer in the video? He’s clearly a great shot, but it looks very awkward with his chest way out of the center of gravity.
Or is that how you actually fire a 160 pound bow, and film and tv just stepped away from the ‘pooping with a herniated disk’ look?

That stance makes it apparently easier to draw heavy bows, and from what I understand catches a lot of angry posturing :dadjoke: in that world. Ie young/weak etc. archers get to shoot heavier bows than they 'can handle' and it's a big status thing or something. It is an old technique in any case

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

Such Fun posted:

That's bogus; you're supposed to hold it like a Tommy Gun:

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
Joe Gibbs is generally considered to be a pretty good archer, yeah.

DaysBefore
Jan 24, 2019

Such Fun posted:

Dunno about that stance but I do know that actual longbowmen were like insanely jacked, though only in one arm, so it may be hard to draw those things accurately without the proper Hulk-esque right shoulder those guys had.

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

DaysBefore posted:

Dunno about that stance but I do know that actual longbowmen were like insanely jacked, though only in one arm, so it may be hard to draw those things accurately without the proper Hulk-esque right shoulder those guys had.

*left

Whooping Crabs
Apr 13, 2010

Sorry for the derail but I fuckin love me some racoons

Cacafuego posted:

10-15 hours from Philly to Boston by train?!? That’s nuts! It’s like 6 hours by car. I’ve driven it enough to know.

According to Google it is 5 hours and 40 minutes by Amtrak. Although my 4.5 hour train from Philadelphia to Charlottesville, VA took 36 hours (train departure delayed for 24 hours then had to wait an extra 8 hours for a freight train that had broken down in front of us to get repaired - original repair crew left because they had worked too many hours in a row already).

Also gently caress Amtrak, due to this and other bullshit delays I'm driving if it's under 8 hours.

Cacafuego
Jul 22, 2007

DaysBefore posted:

I’m sure Rob Liefeld could take a stab at it

Tristesse
Feb 23, 2006

Chasing the dream.

Cacafuego posted:

Yup, a few of our coworkers drove and beat us there AND had their own car to drive around in. Taking the train was really a lose-lose situation. The trip wasn't supposed to take that long but another feature of being on trains is that they like to stop for reasons. We got stuck on the way back just north of NYC for several hours because of power issues or some poo poo and sometimes you reach a station and chill for a while. I was expecting a 6ish hour journey and felt every minute it went beyond this as I didn't have a sleeper car.

bunnyofdoom
Mar 29, 2008

I've been here the whole time, and you're not my real Dad! :emo:

chitoryu12 posted:

Trains are great if you have a proper sleeper car where you can lock a door and lie down for a nap.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KG53Pr3pFg4

Though this still isn't exactly a utopia. The berth he takes is about $220 and some of the lower level rooms are too short to even stand up in, and the cheapest "seats" are actually empty spaces of carpet on the floor with a small blanket and barely any separation between berths.

Ngl This channel shows some pretty cool trains in Japan and elsewhere

Also, one day I need to do an effort post for the thread on the 1837 rebellions in Canada. One was a rousing doomed moral victory with climatic gunfights with British soldiers, war crimes, and a hell of a lot of bloodshed, and the other was a bloodless farce

Beastie
Nov 3, 2006

They used to call me tricky-kid, I lived the life they wish they did.

Whooping Crabs posted:

According to Google it is 5 hours and 40 minutes by Amtrak. Although my 4.5 hour train from Philadelphia to Charlottesville, VA took 36 hours (train departure delayed for 24 hours then had to wait an extra 8 hours for a freight train that had broken down in front of us to get repaired - original repair crew left because they had worked too many hours in a row already).

Also gently caress Amtrak, due to this and other bullshit delays I'm driving if it's under 8 hours.

I took a train from Chicago to Whitefish, Montana. It was supposed to be about 28 hours. It ended up being 36 because a few times were were stopped waiting for traffic for multiple hours.

I didn't get a sleeper room. Just brought my sleeping bag, some ambien, and a whole bunch of tequila. I was hoping to hang out in the dining / viewing car and meet some young folks who were drinking and wanted to chat. Instead it was all old people and two young newlywed evangelicals.

It was a really fun ride though. Got to see lightning striking the Rockies at night from a distance.

ChubbyChecker
Mar 25, 2018

Such Fun posted:

yeah, you kinda lean against the bow. most of the stuff is done with back muscles

Red Bones
Aug 9, 2012

"I think he's a bad enough person to stay ghost through his sheer love of child-killing."

Whooping Crabs posted:

iirc in the US freight rail always takes priority, and this is the other major reason why the passenger trains run into so many delays. Its weird reading about it as a European, where (at least in north/west Europe) the trains aren't always amazing but it's normally a pretty feasible option to get a train between cities or large towns.

DACK FAYDEN
Feb 25, 2013

Bear Witness

DaysBefore posted:

enjoy some vintage 1991 era scott adams classism

plainswalker75
Feb 22, 2003

Pigs are smarter than Bears, but they can't ride motorcycles
Hair Elf

Red Bones posted:

iirc in the US freight rail always takes priority, and this is the other major reason why the passenger trains run into so many delays. Its weird reading about it as a European, where (at least in north/west Europe) the trains aren't always amazing but it's normally a pretty feasible option to get a train between cities or large towns.

US law says that passenger trains always take priority over freight, but the rail lines are owned by the freight companies and they don't give a poo poo at all about jamming their trains ahead of passenger service. I think enforcement of current law was one of the provisions of the infrastructure bill passed last year, so I guess we'll see where that goes.

Zopotantor
Feb 24, 2013

DACK FAYDEN posted:

enjoy some vintage 1991 era scott adams classism

Don’t need to go bowling, I’m still pumped from using the mouse.

SgtScruffy
Dec 27, 2003

Babies.

Red Bones posted:

There is one place in the US where this isn't the case, and that's the Northeast Corridor, which goes from DC to Boston. Having taken the train from DC to New York a ton and to Boston as well, I can say that was a one-off where it took 12 hours and is an unreliable hellscape. It sounds like there were technical issues with the train that caused a large delay, which I totally get. The Northeast Corridor is the one part of the country where rail travel is actually pretty ideal - I drove from baltimore to Boston and back in the past week and it took 11.5 hours each way; we're going to take the train next time.

Asterite34
May 19, 2009

DaysBefore posted:

Cool to know that medieval longbowmen and fiddler crabs had a similar warrior tradition

ThisIsJohnWayne
Feb 23, 2007
Ooo! Look at me! NO DON'T LOOK AT ME!

HAmbONE posted:

In rural Glasgow where advanced diabetes testing simply wasn’t available, communities would “hire” a local idiot to do it the old fashioned way. Diabetic urine is sweet and so they taste a bit the piss with a clear mouth and get a shot of whiskey after. Some took their jobs seriously and with practice could estimate blood glucose levels. So every now and then you would see someone walking in town carefully trying to hide a glass of piss while they tracked down the “sweet blood man.” This is where the term “Taking the piss” originated

:ironicat:

ThisIsJohnWayne has a new favorite as of 20:58 on Nov 28, 2022

Peanut Butler
Jul 25, 2003

SgtScruffy posted:

There is one place in the US where this isn't the case, and that's the Northeast Corridor, which goes from DC to Boston. Having taken the train from DC to New York a ton and to Boston as well, I can say that was a one-off where it took 12 hours and is an unreliable hellscape. It sounds like there were technical issues with the train that caused a large delay, which I totally get. The Northeast Corridor is the one part of the country where rail travel is actually pretty ideal - I drove from baltimore to Boston and back in the past week and it took 11.5 hours each way; we're going to take the train next time.

it's not bad in the flat middle part IF there happens to be a route

Chicago-KC is a lovely trip through rolling fields and farms that you don't get to see from the highway (for real! it's different when you're right up next to the crops), it was cheaper than driving solo in my 35mpg car, and was 12hrs vs 8hrs drive, a fine payment to not have to drive in either city

Skios
Oct 1, 2021
A large portion of the classic joke/novelty shop repertoire was invented by a man named Soren Sorensen Adams, born in Denmark as Søren Adam Sørensen. As a young man, he worked for a company that made dyes. He noticed that a by-product of the production process was prone to making the workers sneeze. He made his initial fortune selling this derivative under the name Cachoo Sneezing Powder. He also invented stink bombs, itching powder, ice cubes with flies in them, the dribble glass, the spring-loaded snake in a nut can, and the joy buzzer, among other things. When a representative of a rubber company approached him to ask him if he was interested in selling what would later become the whoopee cushion Adams refused, worried that the item would be unsellable because it was too vulgar.

Foxfire_
Nov 8, 2010

plainswalker75 posted:

US law says that passenger trains always take priority over freight, but the rail lines are owned by the freight companies and they don't give a poo poo at all about jamming their trains ahead of passenger service. I think enforcement of current law was one of the provisions of the infrastructure bill passed last year, so I guess we'll see where that goes.
The other thing that happens is that only scheduled passenger trains get priority. Once a passenger train is delayed for any reason, it doesn't get to bump freight trains from their original scheduled slots, so any delay becomes a long delay

BasicLich
Oct 22, 2020

A very smart little mouse!

Skios posted:

A large portion of the classic joke/novelty shop repertoire was invented by a man named Soren Sorensen Adams, born in Denmark as Søren Adam Sørensen. As a young man, he worked for a company that made dyes. He noticed that a by-product of the production process was prone to making the workers sneeze. He made his initial fortune selling this derivative under the name Cachoo Sneezing Powder. He also invented stink bombs, itching powder, ice cubes with flies in them, the dribble glass, the spring-loaded snake in a nut can, and the joy buzzer, among other things. When a representative of a rubber company approached him to ask him if he was interested in selling what would later become the whoopee cushion Adams refused, worried that the item would be unsellable because it was too vulgar.

Sorry, this guy was the inventor of stink bombs but called the whoopee cushion too vulgar? I think this guy's just the Thomas Edison of General Pranks

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

Skios posted:

Isn't the dribble glass like thousands of years old?

Samovar
Jun 4, 2011

When I want to relax, I read an essay by Engels. When I want something more serious, I read Corto Maltese.

3D Megadoodoo posted:

Isn't the dribble glass like thousands of years old?

There was a goblet in the antiquities-age that was designed so if you over-filled it, it would start spilling it's contents.

And before anyone thinks of saying, well yeah, that's the lip of the cup, it was some kind of interior capillary action.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

Samovar posted:

capillary action

:wrong:

It uses a siphon.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ISfIT3B4y6E

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

Siphon deez nuts lmao gotem.

Imperador do Brasil
Nov 18, 2005
Rotor-rific

SgtScruffy posted:

I can do my house to Baltimore in under 3 hours, and my house to Boston in just under 6. What route did you take that was almost 3 hours longer?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ChubbyChecker
Mar 25, 2018

could you share more information about how fast you local trains are?