Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Football or Football?
Real :911: Football
Fake-o Euro Soccer
View Results

Backdoor Delivery
Nov 15, 2004

one cool dude

2 Time TRP Sack Race Champion
I feel so lucky Musah chose to play for us.
No more Yedlin or Moore, please.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mr. Mambold
Feb 13, 2011

Aha. Nice post.

FullLeatherJacket posted:

Wales would have to score like 8 goals to win the group, but not just to go through

If Iran and the USA draw and Wales beat England, then everyone is on 4 points except the USA (who go home in disgrace)

England currently have a goal difference of +4
Wales currently have a goal difference of -2
Iran currently have a goal difference of -2

Wales winning would put them ahead of Iran by right, but they would need to win by four to overtake England, which they would need to do if there's a winner in the Iran/USA game

Disgrace, hah! Americans will cheer their UNBEATEN SIDE. because we are dumbs

And everyone knows Wales can't beat England's 2nd side....

Turrurrurrurrrrrrr
Dec 22, 2018

I hope this is "battle" enough for you, friend.

You idiots, you're supposed to goal!

zenguitarman
Apr 6, 2009

Come on, lemme see ya shake your tail feather

USA playing actual decent soccer, not sure what to make of this

Her Dryer
Oct 15, 2012
It wouldn't surprise me if USA pull a 2010 New Zealand, drawing all three games and going out at the groups while technically being undefeated

TDepressionEarl
Oct 28, 2010

I'm trying to win the World Cup
but I'm dummy thicc
and the clap of my ass cheeks
keeps playing Argentina onside

Her Dryer posted:

It wouldn't surprise me if USA pull a 2010 New Zealand, drawing all three games and going out at the groups while technically being undefeated

Would not surprise me either, but that New Zealand team was quite a bit more defensively oriented while USMNT have great midfield touches and control. They haven't had on-ball handles or the vision to create offensively in nearly forever, used to be US resorted to counters and relying on hotshot finishers.

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

Why don't you perform zazen, facing a wall?

surf rock posted:

I realize that England is widely considered the superior team, so a draw for the U.S. is kind of a win. But, on the other hand, LOL at the people who went all the way to Qatar to watch two straight draws, including one against a country the size of Arkansas.

edit: are there any young players in the U.S. who are considered especially gifted shooters? Is there, like, a 16-year-old striker averaging a goal a game who'll be ready for the next World Cup? I think this team is actually pretty decent in an all-around sense, but nobody can pull a rabbit out of their hat.

Next World Cup we’ll probably bring Ricardo Pepi unless he’s injured or burns out. I was surprised they didn’t bring him to this one tbh, he’s not great but he’s the best young forward we have and the older players picked instead are uninspiring to say the least.

Strikers who average a goal a game are incredibly rare, and in international competitions they’re virtually non-existent (because scoring goals is harder when you’re in a team you only train with a couple times a year). If the US had one coming up you’d already have heard about it, he would be the hottest prospect the country has ever had, by miles. If we had a striker who could score even in every other game, this would be a pretty good team.

greazeball
Feb 4, 2003

lol I just looked up the massive hype victim Freddy Adu, who ultimately scored two (2) goals for the USMNT

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

Why don't you perform zazen, facing a wall?

greazeball posted:

lol I just looked up the massive hype victim Freddy Adu, who ultimately scored two (2) goals for the USMNT

Adu is such a weird and pretty sad story, he got the whole pathetic US soccer media pushing him yet never accomplished anything at any senior level. Idk if it was age fraud or what, or who was running his career for him when he was 14, but whatever adult(s) had responsibility for him should be ashamed

Omnikin
May 29, 2007

Press 'E' for Medic
I liked the way we looked v England, and I think Iran are in for a rude loss on Tuesday. Gonna be a good one.

t a s t e
Sep 6, 2010

Lol

https://mobile.twitter.com/FB_Bentley/status/1596369981301727232

Total Meatlove
Jan 28, 2007

:japan:
Rangers died, shoujo Hitler cried ;_;

skasion posted:

Adu is such a weird and pretty sad story, he got the whole pathetic US soccer media pushing him yet never accomplished anything at any senior level. Idk if it was age fraud or what, or who was running his career for him when he was 14, but whatever adult(s) had responsibility for him should be ashamed

skasion posted:

when he was 14

:lol:

Mr. Mambold
Feb 13, 2011

Aha. Nice post.

skasion posted:

Next World Cup we’ll probably bring Ricardo Pepi unless he’s injured or burns out. I was surprised they didn’t bring him to this one tbh, he’s not great but he’s the best young forward we have and the older players picked instead are uninspiring to say the least.

Strikers who average a goal a game are incredibly rare, and in international competitions they’re virtually non-existent (because scoring goals is harder when you’re in a team you only train with a couple times a year). If the US had one coming up you’d already have heard about it, he would be the hottest prospect the country has ever had, by miles. If we had a striker who could score even in every other game, this would be a pretty good team.

Leaving Pepi off, including Wright and Morris was a big mistake. Pepi's been scoring for his club team, a thing this 1 goal in 2 matches side could definitely use.

Shrapnig
Jan 21, 2005

Haji Wright is scoring more, in a better league. Jordan Morris I've never understood and he's been getting caps for 8 years.

Akbar
Nov 22, 2004

Hubba-
Hubba.

Shrapnig posted:

Haji Wright is scoring more, in a better league. Jordan Morris I've never understood and he's been getting caps for 8 years.

US Soccer loves their homegroan

Mr. Mambold
Feb 13, 2011

Aha. Nice post.

Shrapnig posted:

Sorry, I meant that ginger playing for MLS. Agreed on Wright.

scourgeofthe7bees
Jun 21, 2008

Mr. Mambold posted:

Can’t tell if you trolling

Cpt. Mahatma Gandhi
Mar 26, 2005

Mr. Mambold posted:

If you mean Sargent, he plays in England

binge crotching
Apr 2, 2010

Morris hasn't been very good for Seattle this season after tearing his other ACL last year, so I'm not surprised he's not been great for the US this year either.

Crazy Ted
Jul 29, 2003

skasion posted:

It also turned out that his first manager at DC United, Piotr Nowak, was quite racist, which I'm sure was great for a teenage immigrant from Africa, and also enjoyed assaulting his own players during practice after mistakes or perceived lack of attention.

Just the manager you want to bring a 14-year-old professional with a shitload of hype and pressure on him into the senior ranks.

Mr. Mambold
Feb 13, 2011

Aha. Nice post.

scourgeofthe7bees posted:

Can’t tell if you trolling

Half the time neither can I. :mrgw::coffee::hf::coffee::corsair:

trem_two
Oct 22, 2002

it is better if you keep saying I'm fat, as I will continue to score goals
Fun Shoe
https://twitter.com/nytimes/status/1596968783553261569

PerniciousKnid
Sep 13, 2006
Should've taken the offer instead of getting expelled by Iran on Tuesday just for sucking.

SLICK GOKU BABY
Jun 12, 2001

Hey Hey Let's Go! 喧嘩する
大切な物を protect my balls

Team Iran going to have to take matters in their own hands and drop a couple bombs in the net to take USA out of the tournament... Don't rely on a government to handle your problems.

whypick1
Dec 18, 2009

Just another jackass on the Internet
https://twitter.com/the_bonnfire/status/1597003952771502080

:shepicide:

Taco Duck
Feb 18, 2011

100% win rate against ME nations

habeasdorkus
Nov 3, 2013

Royalty is a continuous shitposting motion.

Taco Duck posted:

Look at a map ya rube.

ozmunkeh
Feb 28, 2008

hey guys what is happening in this thread

habeasdorkus posted:

Look at a map ya rube.

listen, I dont make the rules, there’s desert and they speak arabic

whypick1
Dec 18, 2009

Just another jackass on the Internet

Taco Duck posted:

Also quoting this to increase the shame

trem_two
Oct 22, 2002

Fun Shoe
Seems that the social media stunt is making things a bit uneasy in camp

quote:

The atmosphere at Sunday’s news conference, meanwhile, was tense. Zimmerman and fellow defender Tim Ream chose words carefully. They were asked a half-dozen soccer questions, but also a half-dozen questions about the federation’s social media posts and the situation in Iran. They reiterated multiple times that they “support women’s rights,” as Ream said, and they “empathize” with the Iranian people, but they’re focused on “preparing for what is a crucial game.”

At one point during the news conference, Iranian reporters in the front row with their hands raised accused USMNT press officer Michael Kammarman of silencing them, by not calling on them. When one finally got a question, the last of the news conference, he said: "I just want to point out, media officer of U.S. national soccer team should respect international media. This is World Cup, this is not MLS Cup."

The edginess continued as the USMNT’s 8:30 p.m. training session began. As the open portion of it concluded, one communications staffer yelled at another. It’s unclear if the tension has penetrated the players’ bubble, but the atmosphere around them was uneasy.

habeasdorkus
Nov 3, 2013

ozmunkeh posted:

listen, I dont make the rules, there’s desert and they speak arabic

I'm guessing you're just trolling since Iran neither speaks Arabic or is mainly desert.

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011

habeasdorkus posted:

I'm guessing you're just trolling since Iran neither speaks Arabic or is mainly desert.

I think they were talking about Algeria, which is only part of the Middle East if you use the expansive MENA cultural definition rather than the much stricter geographical one.

habeasdorkus
Nov 3, 2013

That does make more sense.

Total Meatlove
Jan 28, 2007

:japan:
Rangers died, shoujo Hitler cried ;_;
The US need to lose to Iran so their recent results can spell PIGGY.

Jean-Paul Shartre
Jan 16, 2015

this sentence no verb

Total Meatlove posted:

The US need to lose to Iran so their recent results can spell PIGGY.

But that would be Haram op

trem_two
Oct 22, 2002

Fun Shoe
https://twitter.com/meg_swanick/status/1597197686079651841

https://twitter.com/meg_swanick/status/1597207378256334849

https://twitter.com/meg_swanick/status/1597219849524375553

https://twitter.com/meg_swanick/status/1597220958384705536

Having a great time!

Shrapnig
Jan 21, 2005

Maybe Saudi Arabia had it right with the whole murdering of journalists

trem_two
Oct 22, 2002

Fun Shoe
https://twitter.com/timothypmurphy/status/1597229610365861888

habeasdorkus
Nov 3, 2013

Tutting a footballer for mispronouncing Iran is gauche and asinine. The followup is just really awful. Who the gently caress even asks that? Was it someone from an Iranian outlet? Because at least then I can see the (lovely) reasoning behind it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

habeasdorkus
Nov 3, 2013

This is good twitter, tho.