Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Quixotic1
Jul 25, 2007

If all manner of ghouls can get a Nobel prize in economics ( i know it's a fake Nobel), why not this man the real one?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Negostrike
Aug 15, 2015

He should be a guest in Iron Chef

harperdc
Jul 24, 2007

Negostrike posted:

He should make a cameo on the New Years Gaki no Tsukai in a couple years.

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose

Negostrike posted:

Him and John Hinckley, yes.

Lammasu
May 8, 2019

lawful Good Monster
I know it's a long shot but how do pardons work in Japan?

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

After a Speaker vote, you may be entitled to a valuable coupon or voucher!

Lammasu posted:

I know it's a long shot but how do pardons work in Japan?
https://www.japaneselawtranslation.go.jp/en/laws/view/3201/en#je_at1 seems to be the relevant law

Apparently under the old system the Emperor could just do it but it was usually a kind of celebratory "okay, everyone in for three years for vagrancy or having a sour face can go home now" thing on marriages and new accessions.

stephenthinkpad
Jan 2, 2020

Quixotic1 posted:

If all manner of ghouls can get a Nobel prize in economics ( i know it's a fake Nobel), why not this man the real one?

The nobel peace prize is probably more of a joke than nobel economic.

Korea should just build a bronze statue reenact the shooting in the fashion of the headbutt statue.

LyonsLions
Oct 10, 2008

I'm only using 18% of my full power !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

So, um, is SGI going to be included in this, or did they secure an exemption for themselves?

Sylvian Wastes
Jan 3, 2022

by Hand Knit
The assassination continues to succeed.

https://twitter.com/NikkeiAsia/status/1594884195268042752

Charlz Guybon
Nov 16, 2010
Huh...I'm going to guess this wouldn't have gone so well given what we've seen in Ukraine.

https://twitter.com/Newsweek/status/1595828588581904384

Silver2195
Apr 4, 2012

Charlz Guybon posted:

Huh...I'm going to guess this wouldn't have gone so well given what we've seen in Ukraine.

https://twitter.com/Newsweek/status/1595828588581904384

Modern Newsweek should be taken with a spoonful of salt. It could be true, but I’d want confirmation from a better source. Especially since the Anpo commits the US to defending Japan; even contemplating such a thing would be reckless enough even for Putin to justify some skepticism.

Rochallor
Apr 23, 2010

ふっっっっっっっっっっっっck
Even assuming it's true, it sounds more like it would just be Russian ships posturing aggressively in the Kurils than an actual conflict. It's possible they war-gamed out an invasion, but every country does that. Japan would be an order of magnitude more complex than Ukraine and directly invokes US involvement. (Also Russia has a... less than stellar track record when it comes to naval maneuvers against Japan.)

captkirk
Feb 5, 2010

Rochallor posted:

Even assuming it's true, it sounds more like it would just be Russian ships posturing aggressively in the Kurils than an actual conflict. It's possible they war-gamed out an invasion, but every country does that. Japan would be an order of magnitude more complex than Ukraine and directly invokes US involvement. (Also Russia has a... less than stellar track record when it comes to naval maneuvers against Japan.)

Czar Nicholas just never gonna live that down.

tractor fanatic
Sep 9, 2005

Pillbug
Even ignoring the nonsense source, Russia has no reason to attack Japan anyways since they already control the Kurils

Qtotonibudinibudet
Nov 7, 2011

Omich poluyobok, skazhi ty narkoman? ya prosto tozhe gde to tam zhivu, mogli by vmeste uyobyvat' narkotiki
random FSB analysts should also be taken with a grain of salt. one came out to the press after the 2022 Ukraine invasion saying something to the effect of "yeah, they ask us to run bullshit scenarios all the time, they don't make sense but we do them anyway. nobody expected them to actually go through with the invasion, we thought it was yet more garbage and wrote our usual bullshit analysis"

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

tractor fanatic posted:

Even ignoring the nonsense source, Russia has no reason to attack Ukraine anyways since they already control Crimea and basically the eastern areas too

tractor fanatic
Sep 9, 2005

Pillbug

Are you serious with this comparison?

Mr. Fix It
Oct 26, 2000

💀ayyy💀

that's... a bold take.

Rochallor posted:

gently caress yeah, the battle of tsushima is way overdue for a sequel or reboot

j/k, please don't fight near my home

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

Given current Russian ability you'd probably just end with control of Sakhalin / Karafuto again.

Bel Shazar
Sep 14, 2012

Tesseraction posted:

Given current Russian ability you'd probably just end with control of Sakhalin / Karafuto again.

I don't know, there are troubling signs related to Japan's forces:

Japan Tractor Production Reaches 15-Year Low in 2020

https://www.agequipmentintelligence.com/articles/5101-japan-tractor-production-reaches-15-year-low-in-2020?v=preview

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

tractor fanatic posted:

Are you serious with this comparison?
My bad, thought I was in the gbs thread. I think Putin might consider it but would reject it, not least from a lack of naval resources. (Even at the time)

BoldFace
Feb 28, 2011
https://twitter.com/azureScapegoat/status/1597796352003825665

Rochallor
Apr 23, 2010

ふっっっっっっっっっっっっck

What badge does she give you

Tuxedo Gin
May 21, 2003

Classy.

Rochallor posted:

What badge does she give you

The red one.

Kale
May 14, 2010

So after a solid decade at least of hammering away at it and abusing Japan's weird hard on for voting LDP majorities in with every election on top of ensuring that the PM candidate is always a Nippon Kaigi fucker.....it looks like that branch of the government is finally getting it's long awaited wish for a military buildup since there's apparently enough public support in the wake of real Chinese and Russian aggression to bump it's spending on defense up from 1 to 2 percent of the national budget. Like I kind of get it since it's based on actual current events and not JUST pure conspiracy or "Nippon Banzai!" Imperial era Japan horseshit , but gently caress Nippon Kaigi shitlords all the same. I doubt I'll be seeing relinquishing their iron grip on Japanese politics in my lifetime and will continue to work to shift the whole country even further to the far-right and nationalist bullshit over the next decade as well. Like all they have to do is ensure that the PM candidate is always a Nippon Kaigi diehard and will appoint a cabinet from that wing of the LDP and since that party wins every single election regardless that's enough to ensure eternal power for the hardliners.

harperdc
Jul 24, 2007

I would say “not so fast” on public support - there might be support for a military build-up, but a surprise increases on taxes for normal people in the midst of bad inflation is not exactly popular. Just as Kishida was trying to trend upwards in public opinion, he goes and does this out of nowhere.

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

Sorry, I've been out with covid this week so am more behind on external politics than usual. What happened in Japan? I thought that Kishida was from the relatively less braying warhawk side of the party?

Kale
May 14, 2010

Tesseraction posted:

Sorry, I've been out with covid this week so am more behind on external politics than usual. What happened in Japan? I thought that Kishida was from the relatively less braying warhawk side of the party?

He knows how to be a more mask on than Suga and Abe basically but is very much from the Nippon Kaigi far right wing of the LDP. The LDP as I understand it is supposed to be more of a center right conservative party and that's what Japan prefers to vote for when they inevitably vote them into power every single election but Abe and his successors have made sure to handpick their cabinets and other key people from the ultra nationalist right wing Nippon Kaigi faction who among other things want to revert Japan to the Empire of Japan outlook where the emperor enjoyed godlike descended from Amaterasu status.

stephenthinkpad
Jan 2, 2020
As I understand it, US allow Japan increase her military spending to 2% with the condition of using most of it on American Tomahawk missile.

icantfindaname
Jul 1, 2008

To be sure there's a big chunk going to American military industry complex but Japan's own domestic military industrial complex is actually pretty big, they have domestic tanks and planes and shipbuilding and stuff, probably moreso than the average Euro country. I interpret this as a handout to them

Lammasu
May 8, 2019

lawful Good Monster
Wait, Japan's central bank did what?

Mr. Fix It
Oct 26, 2000

💀ayyy💀

Lammasu posted:

Wait, Japan's central bank did what?

the bank of japan fucks with both the short term and long term bond rate, whereas other central banks only control the short term by setting the discount rate, or so i gather. they had set the range allowed for 10 year bonds to be -.25% to .25%, and they broadened the range to -.5% to .5%. this sent the 10 year rate to around .4%, leading to a bunch of buying of yen and those bonds, increasing the value of the yen. they kept the discount rate at -.1%. don't really know how this "yield curve control" works exactly, tho. this feels like something that npr's planet money or indicator will cover once they're back from break.

harperdc
Jul 24, 2007

Yen getting stronger is not something I will complain about.

Lammasu
May 8, 2019

lawful Good Monster

harperdc posted:

Yen getting stronger is not something I will complain about.

Remember in Shadow Run how the money is in yen because Japan controls everything.

Kale
May 14, 2010

Didn't realize Kishida was already polling barely at 30% . My god the LDP may not gain and even lose a seat or two in its majority in the next election if this keeps up

Lammasu
May 8, 2019

lawful Good Monster

Kale posted:

Didn't realize Kishida was already polling barely at 30% . My god the LDP may not gain and even lose a seat or two in its majority in the next election if this keeps up

Religion is always the bad guy in JRPGs for a reason.

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Public school teachers are callous dictators who won't lift a finger to stop children from peeing in my plane

Lammasu posted:

Religion is always the bad guy in JRPGs for a reason.

Hopefully Japan will finally kill God IRL, generations have been prepared for this task by JRPGs!

Kale
May 14, 2010

PT6A posted:

Hopefully Japan will finally kill God IRL, generations have been prepared for this task by JRPGs!

Never gonna happen. The strong tradition is to vote LDP and "not rock the boat" even though the boat already started taking on a poo poo ton of water in the 90's before Abe and his Abenomics that they've tried what feels like a half dozen times, before the Nippon Kaigi cabinet stacking and before the Unification Church ties got way out of control. The societies just not really built for serious democracy it feels like the way they cling to traditions like "Just Vote LDP" despite brutal approval ratings for the last 3 PM's they've had from the party and clearly not much getting better for it.

It's crazy though the LDP has hosed up constantly and consistently and is evidently corrupt as poo poo with cronyism and cult ties and yet tradition saves them every time, but the DPJ has one term, things didn't immediately work out and they ran into some headwinds with internal party fighting over policy implementation and some events beyond their direct control like the tsunami and subsequent Fukushima disaster and it's immediately out with them and just LDP forever and lets have PM's like Suga.

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

Just how many mistakes have you suffered on the way here?

An uncountable number, to be sure.
My understanding is that the problem is less tradition and more voter apathy. People who've internalized that it doesn't matter who's in power because all politicians are the same, so they completely ignore politics and don't pay attention to elections.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

stephenthinkpad
Jan 2, 2020
God as in the moscot emperor?