Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

boz
Oct 16, 2005

mllaneza posted:

I've heard on scale model chats that what you really need is a gloss coat. That protects the paint from the enamel wash, helps the panel liner's capillary action, and eases cleanup. It's truly amazing to see the panel liner just flow to where it's needed, it's like modelling magic. You just touch the brush with liner on it to a section of panel lines and it just flows. Again, like magic.

This isn't perfect, but...

I ended up stripping and re-doing the wings. Goddamn this kit is a fussy build.

What you are talking about lines up completely with that kit. I bet it felt great watching that capillary action on it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

War and Pieces
Apr 24, 2022

DID NOT VOTE FOR FETTERMAN

Moai Ou posted:

FWIW, I've built 100+ kits with Tamiya panel wash with zippo lighter fluid for clean-up & never had anything become brittle. I don't paint it on, just let it run into the panel lines, then clean up 10 minutes later.

Not discounting anybody that had it happen; maybe I'm just lucky & my next kit will crumble like it has gold plastic syndrome :shrug:

it's a bit of a technique for sure, just don't let it pool up

CommunityEdition
May 1, 2009

Chromatics posted:

which of their primers did you use? I have not heard of it doing that on games workshop PS for example

Probably held it too close when trying to get spots I missed - the melting only occurred where there were drips, as far as I can tell

Monaghan
Dec 29, 2006

Almost done scribing my pg wing zero so now have to go the seam lines.

The fact despite it being a perfect grade that there is a seam line across line across each twin buster rifle and each back wing, is just one of the many aggravating things about this kit.

GreenBuckanneer
Sep 15, 2007

gf's brother wanted gundam for xmas, when I asked for details he didn't give any, so I guess he's getting some random ones

then his shipment shipped before mine :negative:

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

mllaneza
Apr 28, 2007

Veteran, Bermuda Triangle Expeditionary Force, 1993-1952

boz posted:

What you are talking about lines up completely with that kit. I bet it felt great watching that capillary action on it.

Magic. It was absolute magic in action.
I really shouldn't have started that kit when I did, but it's about half done so...

parabolic
Jul 21, 2005

good night, speedfriend

I thought I was done collecting HGAC kits as I don't really like the Geminass but god damnit I guess I have to get these, too. But I will say I'm a little salty that we're getting G-Unit HGs instead of the gorgeous line of AC Grunts they passed over like the Aries, Virgo, or Serpent.

JoeGlassJAw
Apr 9, 2010

if you're in the US, Walmart of all places has about the best price on the RG Nu right now when accounting for shipping, which is free and incredibly fast. I ordered mine yesterday and it'll be here tomorrow. I had been waiting to pick this up for a while and this did it for me
https://www.walmart.com/ip/Char-s-Counterattack-GUNDAM-Bandai-RG-1-144/119391193?wmlspartner=wlpa&selectedSellerId=0

edit: didnt realize this kit came out three years ago. outing myself as a no backlog guy

JoeGlassJAw fucked around with this message at 20:41 on Nov 29, 2022

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

JoeGlassJAw posted:

outing myself as a no backlog guy

Read that as "neo backlog" at first, and if they ever make another Gundam Breaker that should be the final boss.

Argas
Jan 13, 2008
SRW Fanatic

Neo Backlog is the protagonist country in the upcoming G Gundam Breaker game, duh

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe
It used to be Neo Wholelog until the Lumber Gundam got to it

SnakesRevenge
Dec 29, 2008

Remember the basics of CQC, Snake!
The boss of Neo Backlog will be a Nightingale Ver.Ka

e: or an MG Neo Zeong in a box the size of a car

BisbyWorl
Jan 12, 2019

Knowledge is pain plus observation.

SnakesRevenge posted:

MG Sinanju not included.

Count Thrashula
Jun 1, 2003

Death is nothing compared to vindication.
Buglord
On one hand, this White Dingo Jim sniper rules, I love the color scheme. (Even if I still have a long way to go with lining, decals, and weathering)

On the other hand, I loving hate MP hands

JuffoWup
Mar 28, 2012

SnakesRevenge posted:

The boss of Neo Backlog will be a Nightingale Ver.Ka

More likely a PGU...

Stairmaster
Jun 8, 2012

Is it normal to see parts and pieces when you close your eyes

Kaiju Cage Match
Nov 5, 2012

Stairmaster posted:

Is it normal to see parts and pieces when you close your eyes

Yes.

RillAkBea
Oct 11, 2008

You should probably shake your eyelids out just in case though :v:

MechaX
Nov 19, 2011

"Let's be positive! Let's start a fire!"
Can’t say I’m at the point where I’m seeing parts, but I have definitely had a dream or two where I completed some really badass kit only to wake up and remember 1) I don’t even own that kit, and/or 2) I have barely completed a head on the thing I am working on

Tin Tim
Jun 4, 2012

Live by the pun - Die by the pun

Say hello to the first of my chunky bois

This is the Type-48 Fencer from Kotobukiya's Frame Arms line. Though I think Fencer is a bit of a misnomer since there is nothing graceful about this lad. It's the RE:2 version btw which means some improvements to the inner frame and a few new armor parts compared to previous releases. I've put a normal sized Labello stick in the picture to convey how hefty the kit is. It's 1/100 scale but I did expect it to be a little less big tbh :v:

Here are side shots for a peek at some details and the one "transformation" the kit has

You can plop down some wheels and lift the back skirt with the booster unit to enter go-fast mode. Fairly mundane thing when it comes to mecha kits I think but it would have been a nice touch if the wheels could actually move instead of being a stiff part.

Chunky bois get chunky toys so let's dress him up

The shoulder mounted rifle is very optional. The rifle itself looks good imo but the shoulder mount is a little janky and the rifle does get in the way of the sword. Putting it on the other side does not help btw because it then collides with the shield.

I like this better :black101:

Also take note of the little sub-arm you can fold out to support the sword. It's a nifty thing and does help a lot with stability. Also it makes it look a little less silly imo because holding the sword just by the dainty wrist would be a bit much. Though we're talking about a huge gently caress-off sword with boosters at the back of it so I'm not sure if the amount of silly can be reduced to begin with.

Here's the setup with the rifle but it's not for me. The base version of the Type-48 is made for shooting and this is made for smashing. Also you can not store the sword without buying or making extra 3mm connector pegs.

I do love my new boi but I also have to say that the actual build was a bit exhausting. It took me the majority of a Sunday and two more evenings with 3-4 hours of building each. The kit has a lot of parts and I had to do a fair bit of sanding on each nub on those parts. The kit is made from PS but most of the parts were made from a pretty tough form of PS. Significantly harder than the Bandai PS in the 30 Minute Mission kit I built a little while ago. This did not only increase the time I needed for sanding but also produced a lot of dust that I had to keep cleaning from my tools and the parts. The red plastic was the worst offender in that regard! Also I had to glue the hip joints in place because it uses a part of the basic inner frame upside down for that. Upside down ball-joints do not like to stay together when there's a bunch of weight on top of them. I will eventually paint this kit and then do another pass for spots I didn't sand enough and maybe even close some of the seam lines.

I do have the sniper variant of this sitting in my box pile but I'm going to let some time pass before I build that and do something easier next :v:

Bloody Pom
Jun 5, 2011

Rocket-boosted melee weapons are always a plus in my book, that thing looks sick. Nice work!

War and Pieces
Apr 24, 2022

DID NOT VOTE FOR FETTERMAN

1/100 scale??? My god just how large is this lady?

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

War and Pieces posted:

1/100 scale??? My god just how large is this lady?

Probably about the same size as Mobile Doll May.

RillAkBea
Oct 11, 2008

chiasaur11 posted:

Probably about the same size as Mobile Doll May.

And if that's 1/100 then... :stonk:

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

You may have a model kit in your pocket RIGHT NOW:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wbTvEVq9muI

GreenBuckanneer
Sep 15, 2007

I got the MH-03 and other tools and I'm trying it out on some resin minis and omg, it's like a hot knife through butter.

Going to try it out on Sandrock soon...

edit: So far the snips are better, but it's hard to say that it causes less disress on the plastic, maybe slightly. They're certainly sharper, of course, but not what I was hoping to see. I think the Raser Origin is nice, but it's a bit too large for a $23 glass file, though the texture was unexpected and it seems to leave a gloss finish, which is interesting and I kind of like it. The sanding pads are a lot larger than I expected, and seem like a good value for what they are.

I'm thinking maybe this process would be better if I didn't cut flush with the edge of the model, but then that means I'm leaving a nub and having to sand down a nub until it's not there anymore, which doesn't feel as good as straight clipping and moving on, but even if I did, the Raser Origin is still kind of big for some of the areas that these HGAC models have their nub marks (such as on a helmet or something small) and maybe a glass nail file with a sharp point would work, but until then the back of my hobby knife well enough in those situations. In looking at this it certainly cuts better, but I'm not convinced doubling my cost from the MH-03 -> Godhands would make any difference here, it would be a process change, one I'm not as willing to make.

Then it got me thinking as well, some of this, along with the Raser Plus, some of this would be way easier with MG or 1/100+ models, not because the parts are too small to see/handle (as one guide suggested, that MG were better for older builders because "bad eyesight once you hit your 40s+") but because the tools were larger than was suited for the 1/144 scale itself. One of those "you can make it work but" situations. That's actually one of the problem with the "moldline scrapers" in the mini community, where some companies make tools that should be able to help with that issue, but then the tool ends up being too big or unweildly or doesn't work as well as you hoped for the cost investment, compared to the tiny areas to navigate in, compared to a regular old hobby knife. One of these days I'll have an MG and I can compare some of these tools to that, but otherwise I'm not as wow'd as I had hoped.

GreenBuckanneer fucked around with this message at 08:36 on Dec 3, 2022

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"
:siren: The MODEROID Aestivalis Aerial and Ground Battleframe kits are up for preorder on HLJ! :siren:

Get to burning preordering if you want one!

boz
Oct 16, 2005

GreenBuckanneer posted:

edit: So far the snips are better, but it's hard to say that it causes less disress on the plastic, maybe slightly. They're certainly sharper, of course, but not what I was hoping to see. I think the Raser Origin is nice, but it's a bit too large for a $23 glass file, though the texture was unexpected and it seems to leave a gloss finish, which is interesting and I kind of like it. The sanding pads are a lot larger than I expected, and seem like a good value for what they are.

I'm thinking maybe this process would be better if I didn't cut flush with the edge of the model, but then that means I'm leaving a nub and having to sand down a nub until it's not there anymore, which doesn't feel as good as straight clipping and moving on,

What I typically do is use the hobby knife on anything too tight to reach with the Rase. Even if it doesn't come out perfect, a lot of times if it is in such a small physical area where I can't sand it with the file it means I won't be able to see that spot anyway, so little imperfections aren't as noticeable.

For the second part, I find the best results is if you leave a super tiny piece of nub, and then take the Raser or hobby knife to it. That seems to leave the least stress on plastic. I was originally cutting flush with the nippers then trying to sand, but a lot of times you still have that bit of white stress when you do it that way.

Tin Tim
Jun 4, 2012

Live by the pun - Die by the pun

boz posted:

For the second part, I find the best results is if you leave a super tiny piece of nub, and then take the Raser or hobby knife to it. That seems to leave the least stress on plastic. I was originally cutting flush with the nippers then trying to sand, but a lot of times you still have that bit of white stress when you do it that way.
Yeah that's also where I've arrived at. I think with Godhands you can get away with flush cuts but with the nippers I've tried so far (Dspiae 3.0, Mr.Hobby MT106) it's still a little dicey I feel because aside from stress marks you can also end up with little cuts or pitting at the base of the nub. Currently I'm doing 2 snips and leave a little bit that I take off with a good hobby knife and then sand as needed. Works for me but imo you kinda have to explore the process and settle on what feels best for you. There really isn't one true way to go about it.

Also I want to point out that a good hobby knife is something worthwile to get. I mean there are many cheapo options out there but my work has improved significantly after getting one from Olfa. There are other good brands out there I'm sure but the AK-1 is reasonably cheap and came with 25 blades which will last me for a good while. Cuts and handles really well for me!

JoeGlassJAw
Apr 9, 2010

god what a good kit. deserves all the hype it's gotten. i usually get burned out at some point in a build which usually leads to me skipping some accessories, but i really never hit that point with this one. fun all the way through and looks fantastic

BisbyWorl
Jan 12, 2019

Knowledge is pain plus observation.

JoeGlassJAw posted:

god what a good kit. deserves all the hype it's gotten. i usually get burned out at some point in a build which usually leads to me skipping some accessories, but i really never hit that point with this one. fun all the way through and looks fantastic

:yeah:

Also if you have some excess action base bits, you can trim some of those funky four prong holders and use them to pose the Fin Funnels.

JoeGlassJAw
Apr 9, 2010

BisbyWorl posted:

:yeah:

Also if you have some excess action base bits, you can trim some of those funky four prong holders and use them to pose the Fin Funnels.

oh sick! I definitely do, thanks, I will give that a shot!

LawfulWaffle
Mar 11, 2014

Well, that aligns with the vibes I was getting. Which was, like, "normal" kinda vibes.
I recently revived a long-dormant interest in model-making and find myself kind of at the same problem I was at two decades ago: I love giant robots but I have no affinity to any of the figures there are models of. I watched some Gundam on Toonami ages ago, that’s about it. I like that the 30 Minute Mission models are property agonistic and I like their style, but they aren’t very complex. I’m sure I’ll find cool kits, I just wish there were more video game robot kits to match all the anime ones.

wdarkk
Oct 26, 2007

Friends: Protected
World: Saved
Crablettes: Eaten

LawfulWaffle posted:

I recently revived a long-dormant interest in model-making and find myself kind of at the same problem I was at two decades ago: I love giant robots but I have no affinity to any of the figures there are models of. I watched some Gundam on Toonami ages ago, that’s about it. I like that the 30 Minute Mission models are property agonistic and I like their style, but they aren’t very complex. I’m sure I’ll find cool kits, I just wish there were more video game robot kits to match all the anime ones.

There are a few, but I feel like they're much more expensive.

GreenBuckanneer
Sep 15, 2007

LawfulWaffle posted:

I agree, there's tons of models out there but I don't know most of them.

I'd like to see some non-Gundam mecha that isn't like, NGE, like maybe a Gurren Lagann or Code Geass set of kits or something

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

GreenBuckanneer posted:

I agree, there's tons of models out there but I don't know most of them.

I'd like to see some non-Gundam mecha that isn't like, NGE, like maybe a Gurren Lagann or Code Geass set of kits or something

They did Akito the Exiled kits! And not Code Geass related, but 86 got a line of kits, and Goodsmile is doing a lot of stuff, including Dougram, Martian Succesor Nadesco, Big O, Pop Team Epic…

JoeGlassJAw
Apr 9, 2010

LawfulWaffle posted:

not really to speak much for complexity, but Kotobukiya may have some stuff you'd be interested in. video game wise they have both Metal Gear Rex and Ray, one or both of which I believe were recently reprinted. they also have made/are making a bunch of megaman x kits. they also made the bike from death stranding if you're into that; no norman reedus though, you'd have to grab the figma action figure for that.

bandai has some stuff like star wars, if you want like a boba fett or a stormtrooper or something.

you're right that 30mm aren't very complex but they look great and it's a lot of fun to mix and match, helped a lot by the fact that they're dirt cheap.

plaiobot made some gurren lagann kits, greenbuckanneer, but as a ttgl fan myself and one that has a collection of the revoltechs, the design of the kits is not to my personal taste

wdarkk
Oct 26, 2007

Friends: Protected
World: Saved
Crablettes: Eaten

Gripweed posted:

They did Akito the Exiled kits! And not Code Geass related, but 86 got a line of kits, and Goodsmile is doing a lot of stuff, including Dougram, Martian Succesor Nadesco, Big O, Pop Team Epic…

There's Dragonar and L-Gaim kits too.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

Today's G-Witch episode gave me a premonition of a Premium Bandai expansion kit for the Aerial