Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Kaysette
Jan 5, 2009

~*Boston makes me*~
~*feel good*~

:wrongcity:
https://twitter.com/Darktide40K/status/1596161195152646144?s=20&t=uPzJGUeKZ2oHWRc5hYiTZA

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Broken Cog
Dec 29, 2009

We're all friends here

Diephoon posted:

The two times I had good teams that actually pressed Q I got an error saying they were running a different version of the game.

Yep, same. And all the others on the team said they got it as well.

Kobal2
Apr 29, 2019

Diephoon posted:

Ratlings means snipers which means randos in your games permascoping. I am willing to accept this if the Ogryn can use them for a Fastball Special.

Sadly, skav...ratlings are too big to throw. But then ska... RATLING teams already score easy enough. #EmprahBowl

Kobal2
Apr 29, 2019

CuddleCryptid posted:

The Ogryn heavy stubber is a real good time. Sucks at high range but my god it is great how it just cuts people in half with two shots. I was disappointed by the not-China Lake grenade launcher that was hyped up here but now I am saved.

:goonsay: not_M79, not not_China Lake. And yeah, I was disappointed by it also.

Al-Saqr
Nov 11, 2007

One Day I Will Return To Your Side.

Hell yes cant wait to finally equip the cosmetics I got with the imperial edition.

Enjoy
Apr 18, 2009

Fishstick posted:

Specials in general are way too comfortable dipping in and out of spawn closets, or setting up behind chain link fences in pitch black unaccessable areas theyre clearly not meant to hang out. Seeing 2 bombers dump grenades and duck back in their cubby, or snipers set p behind cover behind a chainlink area during the water supply finale so you cant hit em.

That makes them smart!

Kith
Sep 17, 2009

You never learn anything
by doing it right.

Exodee posted:

It's absolutely terrible at taking down specials or ranged troops at medium/long range. (though it will supress them I suppose) And there's a lot of those on Heresy+.

Great at clearing hordes though, so if there's ever a class that can carry two ranged weapons it would probably be the best secondary. But I just can't trust pubbies to take down specials fast enough to justify taking it as my only ranged weapon.

I haven't had much trouble handling Specials unless it was a very distant Sniper. Granted that sucks a lot to deal with, but usually I can Accuracy-Through-Volume-Of-Fire to handle those if I have a clear shot.

explosivo
May 23, 2004

Fueled by Satan

There's a fence near the health station at the extraction point in the new Raid mission with the AA defense gun finale that trappers can shoot through or hop over and immediately tag someone and it's annoying as hell.

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

explosivo posted:

There's a fence near the health station at the extraction point in the new Raid mission with the AA defense gun finale that trappers can shoot through or hop over and immediately tag someone and it's annoying as hell.

If I’m thinking of the same fence, it also doesn’t let poxbursters through but the game will still spawn them attempting to get through there, so they just run into the fence and explode before they can ever get to you. Saw it happen to 2 in a row lol

DeathSandwich
Apr 24, 2008

I fucking hate puzzles.

Kobal2 posted:

:goonsay: not_M79, not not_China Lake. And yeah, I was disappointed by it also.

The rumbler is my favorite ogryn gun at the moment. It's probably not as mechanically good as the stubber (which still has significant issues, it's got passible midrange but it's poo poo against long range and ogryns of all flavors), but there's nothing quite as satisfying as the grenade crunching off of armor / bones / faces, tumbling through the air for a second, and then detonating. Making the detonation straight impact would probably be more useful, but the crunch and the tumble for a beat is way more visually satisfying and funnier. It also lays out ogryn sized enemies and gives people time to beat on its rear end.

Orv
May 4, 2011
Poxbursters seem to have trouble climbing in general and I’m not exactly broken up about it.

explosivo
May 23, 2004

Fueled by Satan

Orv posted:

Poxbursters seem to have trouble climbing in general and I’m not exactly broken up about it.

Seeing poxbursters falling on their face instead of climbing down is really funny to me every time

CuddleCryptid
Jan 11, 2013

Things could be going better

DeathSandwich posted:

The rumbler is my favorite ogryn gun at the moment. It's probably not as mechanically good as the stubber (which still has significant issues, it's got passible midrange but it's poo poo against long range and ogryns of all flavors), but there's nothing quite as satisfying as the grenade crunching off of armor / bones / faces, tumbling through the air for a second, and then detonating. Making the detonation straight impact would probably be more useful, but the crunch and the tumble for a beat is way more visually satisfying and funnier. It also lays out ogryn sized enemies and gives people time to beat on its rear end.

The issue I have with it is more that it just doesn't do enough damage. Playing at level 2 difficulty I was smacking Gunner specials in the face and then having the grenade detonate at their feet, and it still wasn't enough to take them down without a second shot. For a gun with a long reload and a 19 shot total ammo capacity that's pretty bad, especially when if I'm using it it's because it's someone I can't just melee.

It has it's role, like you said it's good stagger and it can also detonate crowds well, it's just that I can also stagger with the F key and my cleaves are the size of Texas.

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

At least it gives you a chance to kill them when they spawn right ontop of you, lol

Broken Cog
Dec 29, 2009

We're all friends here
The worst special spawns are Reapers on the stairs up between the ventilation shaft and the indoor part on the Disruption map.
They will shoot down at you through the stairs, and there's basically no way for you to shoot back at them until you get up there.

Also, Heresy+ really highlights just how utterly broken Veterans are right now, a run with and without them is night and day.
Fortunately you'll almost never have a run without one. Often you will have 2, and sometimes you'll have 3.

Broken Cog fucked around with this message at 17:42 on Nov 28, 2022

Exodee
Mar 30, 2011

Damp and depressing.
It must be a goon in its
natural habitat!

Kith posted:

I haven't had much trouble handling Specials unless it was a very distant Sniper. Granted that sucks a lot to deal with, but usually I can Accuracy-Through-Volume-Of-Fire to handle those if I have a clear shot.
Try it on Heresy (with an appropiate power level weapon of course) and it'll take forever + half your magazine to take down a flamer guy 30 meters away. They just don't scale up very well against tougher enemies.

Nehru the Damaja
May 20, 2005

Weren't we supposed to have new missions cycling in? Need those espionage missions, whatever kind of dreg I'm somehow still missing, etc.

Mesadoram
Nov 4, 2009

Serious Business

Orv posted:

My favorite is when they randomly fall off of a ledge and blow up on impact without anyone lifting a finger :allears:.

Broken Cog
Dec 29, 2009

We're all friends here
How do you talk to your party while on the Mourningstar? Other than in all-chat

big cummers ONLY
Jul 17, 2005

I made a series of bad investments. Tarantula farm. The bottom fell out of the market.

Run in circles in place

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

DeathSandwich posted:

I don’t like the bounce because it can fly in the wrong direction and miss the center of the group you were aiming for. it would be better to fly straight up + down on impact always. But it’s important that it not explode on impact immediately because the sound when you bean someone with it is incredibly funny

For all their faults fatshark is insanely good at hit effects

Orv
May 4, 2011

Nehru the Damaja posted:

Weren't we supposed to have new missions cycling in? Need those espionage missions, whatever kind of dreg I'm somehow still missing, etc.

We were but I think things are even more hosed than Fatshark expected and we probably won’t get anything until Wednesday.

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

Orv posted:

TIDE megathread: things are even more hosed than Fatshark expected

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

I think the DPS for some guns is just way too high compared to melee. My Level 30 Zealot with a purple melee weapon does less DPS than my level 12 Veteran with a purple ranged weapon. Even against flak armor. I still love being in melee, my absolute favorite way to play the game, but they definitely have some balancing to do.

DeathSandwich
Apr 24, 2008

I fucking hate puzzles.

CuddleCryptid posted:

The issue I have with it is more that it just doesn't do enough damage. Playing at level 2 difficulty I was smacking Gunner specials in the face and then having the grenade detonate at their feet, and it still wasn't enough to take them down without a second shot. For a gun with a long reload and a 19 shot total ammo capacity that's pretty bad, especially when if I'm using it it's because it's someone I can't just melee.

It has it's role, like you said it's good stagger and it can also detonate crowds well, it's just that I can also stagger with the F key and my cleaves are the size of Texas.

See, I'm having the exact opposite thing and I'm in difficulty 3. Beaning a gunner generally is enough to kill him with the secondary explosion, and even if it doesn't he's going to have a lay down long enough for you to go tune up his friends and get back to him. It also extremely consistently one-shots trappers and bombers after the secondary goes off.

But I also say this noting that I've got a ilevel 489 legendary rumbler that has +25% to both flak and unarmored. It's far and away my best gun.

Edit: also keep in mind that in and after difficulty 4, very *very* few things will one shot tougher enemies anymore and that becomes the venue where increasing amounts of stun and knockdown become way more important. Even psyker head pops require Two on most specials.

DeathSandwich fucked around with this message at 17:43 on Nov 28, 2022

Nehru the Damaja
May 20, 2005

Internet Explorer posted:

I think the DPS for some guns is just way too high compared to melee. My Level 30 Zealot with a purple melee weapon does less DPS than my level 12 Veteran with a purple ranged weapon. Even against flak armor. I still love being in melee, my absolute favorite way to play the game, but they definitely have some balancing to do.

On the other side, I had a lasgun that took more than one headshot to kill walkers sometimes. It was horrible.

CuddleCryptid
Jan 11, 2013

I would imagine that is intentional and supposed to be gated behind both ammo availability and the fact that you have to actually aim a ranged weapon. Some of the weapons have massive ammo pools but you can definitely burn through them and in higher difficulties I imagine ammo pickups are much more scarce.

Orv
May 4, 2011
My experience with the Rumbler is also that it’s extremely stat dependent. Early ones are basically useless. A tricked out purple one will wreck shop.

Orv fucked around with this message at 17:40 on Nov 28, 2022

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

CuddleCryptid posted:

I would imagine that is intentional and supposed to be gated behind both ammo availability and the fact that you have to actually aim a ranged weapon. Some of the weapons have massive ammo pools but you can definitely burn through them and in higher difficulties I imagine ammo pickups are much more scarce.

Yeah, I was thinking this, too. But with the health also being a limited resource, melee is also gated to some degree. Especially with the toughness bleed-through. I guess having that extra damage is a bit of a reward for keeping your area near you clear. But still, it seems like then designing a class around using ranged weapons is just asking for trouble if they are that much more powerful. I guess we'll see!

Orv
May 4, 2011

Yeah, I was thinking this, too. But with the health also being a limited resource, melee is also gated to some degree. Especially with the toughness bleed-through. I guess having that extra damage is a bit of a reward for keeping your area near you clear. But still, it seems like then designing a class around using ranged weapons is just asking for trouble if they are that much more powerful. I guess we'll see!

Good thing the ranged class is also currently the best melee class! :yayclod:

Exodee
Mar 30, 2011

Damp and depressing.
It must be a goon in its
natural habitat!

Yeah I didn't use to feel this way, but I've just realized that this might be because I have an Eviscerator with the "+8% damage against elites" trait on it. That trait is bugged to deal way more damage than that 8% would imply, allowing me to one-shot everything short of Crushers when revved up.

I've since tried another Eviscerator with way better stats sans that trait and yeah it's bad lol, especially compared to Veterans with their Power Swords. The one saving grace that Eviscerators have is that the Momentum trait (+14% toughness when cleaving) is really good for survivability, which I don't think you can get on a Power Sword.

Edit: Although I didn't mean to say Eviscerators are bad, they feel quite well balanced actually. It's just that Power Swords are ridiculous

Exodee fucked around with this message at 17:55 on Nov 28, 2022

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

There's a handful of straight up broken poo poo right now. This build with a dagger is ridiculous. Even your stun grenade does bleed damage with the dagger equipped. I played a bit of this build yesterday with the Atrox axe with Shred, since that's a little less broken and I don't want that much of a crutch, and it's pretty crazy. Plus, I love the axe. Good attack pattern, nice to have that versatility, and great dodging.

https://www.reddit.com/r/DarkTide/comments/z55n04/the_immortal_zealot_build_over_4000_toughness_97/

(apparently their math is a little off, but it's still ridiculously good)

Internet Explorer fucked around with this message at 17:51 on Nov 28, 2022

DeathSandwich
Apr 24, 2008

I fucking hate puzzles.

Orv posted:

Good thing the ranged class is also currently the best melee class! :yayclod:

Not for long. I say this with no hesitation - the power sword is getting nerfed. It may not be today, it may not be on the 30th, but it's going to happen. There is no way that survives long term. It's not good for long term class balance. Infinite cleave and near infinite cleave in vt2 was extremely rare and was generally balanced with low damage and low armor piercing (see fire sword, mace/sword and shield, dual sword, ect), or just being attached to a slow weapon / cludgy charge attack (Warhammer, flail)

For whoever was calling for other weapons to be buffed to the same extent just no. There needs to be ways to differentiate between weapons.

Probably what you're going to see is a lot more aggressive damage dropoff on the Charged attack for the power sword, where it might still hitstun enemies but it's going to do 0 damage past the first couple of hits, kind of like the fire sword.

Edit: The melee horde dance is part of the intended challenge in melee. Short circuiting that with power sword just 'mouse 1+ W' - ing through everything breaks that over its knee.

DeathSandwich fucked around with this message at 18:01 on Nov 28, 2022

Orv
May 4, 2011
I did say currently for a reason, there’s no way it survives but it’s somewhat odd it got here in the first place. Only somewhat because Fatshark of course.

CuddleCryptid
Jan 11, 2013

To some degree, but also if you Get Gud with your shoves and dodges then you really shouldn't be getting hit that much, versus a ranged weapon where you burn through resources no matter what.

There is definitely some tuning issues, I don't disagree with you on that sense, it's just that the game is intentionally designed around ranged weapons being freely usable and powerful. Unless you get the auto pistol which is both weak and burns through ammo like an English football fan burns through cocaine.

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

Eh... sure. But without temp HP and with the toughness damage bleedthrough on melee damage, it's certainly seems less forgiving than VT2 to me.

big cummers ONLY
Jul 17, 2005

I made a series of bad investments. Tarantula farm. The bottom fell out of the market.

Yeah that's pretty much what I'm understanding. Just like VT2, don't get hit. But no temp HP means you have much less leeway to make mistakes. It's really making me realize how much I lean on temp HP on VT2.

One thing that helps me is forcing myself to not sprint up to groups of enemies, so I've got stamina for blocking and dodging. Hard to fight that instinct. Two charges of the zealot ult helps.

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

Weird balance at launch is nothing new but the fact that later unlocks are generally being reported as the most powerful options as a pattern makes me concerned that a lot of the imbalance is working as intended. as it stands it looks like there will be a tremendous amount of dead content as soon as you unlock the weapons that are Simply Better, which is not good for long term variety. I initially called bullshit on their claim that the game would ship with 70+ weapons based on the lack of variety I saw in the previous beta; it looks like I was wrong and there actually are going to be 70, except that’s counting a bunch of minor variants for which you’re going to find the Best One and then never use the others, and a bunch of absolute garbage like the tartolsky heavy sword.

I understand from an aesthetic standpoint that it would be weird for a shovel to be a competitive choice next to a magical power sword, but from a gameplay standpoint I don’t care, I want there to be a compelling use case for everything so that there are 70 weapons instead of 20 weapons + 50 “weapons.” I don’t have much experience at this point so maybe I’m misreading but this is my impression based on my current zealot unlocks and reports from others.

Panzeh
Nov 27, 2006

"..The high ground"
The main problem with the early small arms is that their ammo just doesn't scale up enough to be justifiable on higher difficulties given you have to use more ammo on them, even if they were a good idea. The shotgun especially suffers from this. Maybe the really high rarity early level guns should have some kind of ammo reserve increase or something.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CuddleCryptid
Jan 11, 2013

big cummers ONLY posted:

Yeah that's pretty much what I'm understanding. Just like VT2, don't get hit. But no temp HP means you have much less leeway to make mistakes. It's really making me realize how much I lean on temp HP on VT2.

One thing that helps me is forcing myself to not sprint up to groups of enemies, so I've got stamina for blocking and dodging. Hard to fight that instinct. Two charges of the zealot ult helps.

I keep seeing people say "no temp HP" but honestly the chip damage is that temp HP, it's just that you don't get absolute zero damage. At least through level 3 it's what, 1 damage from a hit from normal enemies? With 100 health that's still 100 hits if you keep your toughness topped off. Yeah that's obviously reductive and it will scale differently at higher levels, but it's functionally very similar, especially when you start boosting your total health.