Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Shinji2015
Aug 31, 2007
Keen on the hygiene and on the mission like a super technician.

BigglesSWE posted:

And yet, and *yet*, he is no Harrison Smith. The Jan 6th ep is borderline unlistenable just because of his wet towel of a voice.

The drops in quality between Alex, Owen, and Harrison are pretty significant

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Digital Jedi
May 28, 2007

Fallen Rib
*whines* Elon

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

Shinji2015 posted:

The drops in quality between Alex, Owen, and Harrison are pretty significant

Nothing illustrates why Alex is interesting like hearing any of the other dipshits on his network.

Xiahou Dun
Jul 16, 2009

We shall dive down through black abysses... and in that lair of the Deep Ones we shall dwell amidst wonder and glory forever.

Digital Jedi posted:

*whines* Elon

Eeeee~*~*~*~Loooooooon.

You could make that into the most annoying text tone of all time pretty easy.

FFT posted:

Keep listening. "Sweary Kerry" makes the title for #177, and that's the 9th Project Camelot episode

As far as the straight-up Protocols anti-semitism, I think that was only noticed late in the three dozen episodes covering Project Camelot

or maybe the fourth, #125:

Maybe I'll check it out tonight while I cook dinner. Half the problem is that the "lore" for Kerry just isn't as interesting as it is for Alex. It's got more interesting set dressing what with the spider people in Vietnam and chocolate-obsessed raptors, but she has problems trying to give any of it stakes so it feels very much like an episode of a show that's just gonna wind up being a dream.

Thanks.

tsob
Sep 26, 2006

Chalalala~
So I'm listening to "Formuliac Objections 09" at the moment, and almost every exchange they play from the courtroom where the lawyer is asking him a question has one or two people in the background, presumably Jones' lawyer(s) saying "objection" or "objection on/of the form" (I think that's it at least) and literally nothing coming of it, despite them saying it multiple times in almost every exchange. What's actually happening there? Are Jones' lawyers trying to object in really stupid ways so often that everyone, including but not limited to, the judge is just ignoring them?

Cat Puke
Apr 15, 2017
Objections in a deposition are decided on after the fact. Parts of the deposition can be withheld from the jury if the objections are sustained.

KitConstantine
Jan 11, 2013

Cat Puke posted:

Objections in a deposition are decided on after the fact. Parts of the deposition can be withheld from the jury if the objections are sustained.

This. Also depositions aren't held in court, they're essentially interviews done prior to trial for fact finding or (more frequently) confirmation of information provided in discovery

One thing to remember is that the depositions in this case are WAY more interesting (read: insane) than normal ones. Typically you get a bunch of yes or no answers, maybe a few sentence long explanations tops.

Piell
Sep 3, 2006

Grey Worm's Ken doll-like groin throbbed with the anticipatory pleasure that only a slightly warm and moist piece of lemoncake could offer

Young Orc
The depositions are great because every one of them follows the exact same process despite it being like five different people being deposed. The infowars person will say they haven't prepared and don't remember everything. They will then be lead down q path that leads to them directly claiming not to know something or straight out lying about something extremely specific, only to be hit with an email or prior deposition that directly proves they were lying. Despite falling for this once, they will then proceed to do it four or five or more times, its like they think because they didn't prepare that the other side wouldn't do so either. Mixed in with this will be several times where in trying to avoid a question they will freely offer up other information that is worse foe them than if they just answered the original question.

It happens every single time, it's like they share one brain

DemonTrigger
May 30, 2011

I'M MAKIN' IT GP RAIN

Dan posted:

I would like to remind the audience that Owen was defeated by a little girl that flipped him off

hell yeah :fut:

KitConstantine
Jan 11, 2013

New opening arguments today is about Alex Jones for anyone looking for a court case fix

teen witch
Oct 9, 2012
Can someone give me a time stamp as to when they cover Alex and not Owen.

That twerp irritates me far more than AJ does. I know of very, very few people like AJ, but far more that resemble the little pissant Owen.

rotinaj
Sep 5, 2008

Fun Shoe

teen witch posted:

Can someone give me a time stamp as to when they cover Alex and not Owen.

That twerp irritates me far more than AJ does. I know of very, very few people like AJ, but far more that resemble the little pissant Owen.

52 minutes in

Antigravitas
Dec 8, 2019

Die Rettung fuer die Landwirte:
Eeeelon. Eeeeelon.

:suicide:

I had to turn it off at that point. Jesus tapdancing christ.

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

It is remarkable how he is just straight up doing a bad Alex impression. The weird pauses, the word choice, the stumbling and false starting. He has literally nothing going on in his puppet brain at all.

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

KitConstantine posted:

This. Also depositions aren't held in court, they're essentially interviews done prior to trial for fact finding or (more frequently) confirmation of information provided in discovery

One thing to remember is that the depositions in this case are WAY more interesting (read: insane) than normal ones. Typically you get a bunch of yes or no answers, maybe a few sentence long explanations tops.

they can still get pretty insane tho

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PZbqAMEwtOE

Tree Dude
May 26, 2012

AND MY SONG IS...
When he talks around and around a thing or hints at something without saying it drawwwwwwing out the point or sometimes never even landing on one... it's just very insufferable.

Eeeeeeeeeelon

teen witch
Oct 9, 2012
Eeeeeeeelon

tsob
Sep 26, 2006

Chalalala~

Staggy posted:

#30: April 14, 2017

Wherein Jordan learns about the proud boys for the first time.

I'm grateful for the recs in general, but I do want to specifically thank you for this one because I'm nearly finished it at the moment (it's the only rec I've listend to yet) and it's been loving wonderful. Jordan is so angry and emotive throughout, for pretty understandable reasons, and the history/insights that Dan offers into the Proud Boys are great. They sound so harmless and silly in concept, for a group that are so loving virulent in reality.

Dan telling Jordan that this next clip will make him angry, before wondering if maybe he should just take the microphone away from Jordan instead of having him put it down and then hearing Jordan angrily screaming in the background as the interview plays :kiss:

I loved Jordan telling Dan that he can never see him in the same light after making him aware of this too, that even when they go out for drinks together and if they're having a good time, Jordan will still be having that good time with a little voice in the back of his head going "this guy told you about the Proud Boys; gently caress him".

Fentry
Mar 7, 2003

https://apnews.com/article/capitol-siege-biden-donald-trump-conspiracy-42affe1614425c6820f7cbe8fd18ba96

Stewart Rhodes was found guilty of seditious conspiracy and faces up to 20 years. Eat poo poo rear end in a top hat

ILL Machina
Mar 25, 2004

:italy: Glory to Italia! :italy:

Ayy!! This text is-a the color of marinara! Ohhhh!! Dat's amore!!

Fentry posted:

https://apnews.com/article/capitol-siege-biden-donald-trump-conspiracy-42affe1614425c6820f7cbe8fd18ba96

Stewart Rhodes was found guilty of seditious conspiracy and faces up to 20 years. Eat poo poo rear end in a top hat

I like to think of myself as an abolitionist, so I don't think jail fixes issues or people, it might actually make it worse. Justice being fully served is more complicated than this, but man...

KitConstantine
Jan 11, 2013

ILL Machina posted:

I like to think of myself as an abolitionist, so I don't think jail fixes issues or people, it might actually make it worse. Justice being fully served is more complicated than this, but man...

The place where ideals run up against reality is that there are genuinely some people - serial rapists, murderers, virulent active racists, etc - that are literally incorrigible. They won't stop unless they are forced to stop. They will hurt people and/or society if given access to them.

There has to be a way to deal with those people and unfortunately there's not so many ways to deny someone access to people or society without locking them up :(

Marsupial Ape
Dec 15, 2020
the mod team violated the sancity of my avatar

Fentry posted:

Correct me if I am wrong, but criminal conspiracy requires at least two persons to be a thing. The four other defendants in the case deemed to have not been in on the conspiracy. So…who’s the other conspirator and when does the dime drop on them?

Also, is this first time that the federal government has tacitly confirmed that Jan 6 was indeed a seditious conspiracy?

Xiahou Dun
Jul 16, 2009

We shall dive down through black abysses... and in that lair of the Deep Ones we shall dwell amidst wonder and glory forever.

Marsupial Ape posted:

Correct me if I am wrong, but criminal conspiracy requires at least two persons to be a thing. The four other defendants in the case deemed to have not been in on the conspiracy. So…who’s the other conspirator and when does the dime drop on them?

Also, is this first time that the federal government has tacitly confirmed that Jan 6 was indeed a seditious conspiracy?

I’m not a lawyer, just an rear end in a top hat who likes reading, but Pinkerton v US was about the ability to charge all members of a conspiracy, not the necessity. And just practically you’d want the ability to plead people out with something lower to rat out co-conspirators.

Plus all the strategic fuckery always present in prosecution is currently at the highest difficulty setting so I’m assuming tactical use of charging documents to be a big thing behind the scenes. But we won’t have the full picture on that for ages.

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

Yeah its mens rea and some sort of action qualifying as a predicate for the crime. So intention + the act of pursuing an element of a conspiracy = conviction.

Doesn't really matter if anyone else was a part of it, or depending on the predicate conspiracy charge, whether the act the conspiracy was undertaken for actually occurred.

ILL Machina
Mar 25, 2004

KitConstantine posted:

The place where ideals run up against reality is that there are genuinely some people - serial rapists, murderers, virulent active racists, etc - that are literally incorrigible. They won't stop unless they are forced to stop. They will hurt people and/or society if given access to them.

There has to be a way to deal with those people and unfortunately there's not so many ways to deny someone access to people or society without locking them up :(

This is generally the argument for jails, yes, I get that.

Shinji2015
Aug 31, 2007
This week's batch of episodes are chock full of people that are very hard to listen to so far. Might as cover Peterson or Shapiro for Friday's episode at this point just to round it out

KitConstantine
Jan 11, 2013

ILL Machina posted:

This is generally the argument for jails, yes, I get that.

Oh I tend to believe in prison abolition myself. I was just more venting frustration that there are those kinds of shitheads in the world making it harder to actually implement by providing a convenient counterargument as though the for-profit prison system in the US isn't a loving nightmarish abberation even among penal structures globally.

Apologies for coming off like I was explaining why prisons exist

BigglesSWE
Dec 2, 2014

How 'bout them hawks news huh!

Shinji2015 posted:

This week's batch of episodes are chock full of people that are very hard to listen to so far. Might as cover Peterson or Shapiro for Friday's episode at this point just to round it out

Throw in Angry Joe and Nostalgia Critic just for the hell of it.

Xiahou Dun
Jul 16, 2009

BigglesSWE posted:

Throw in Angry Joe and Nostalgia Critic just for the hell of it.

Pewdiepie.

tsob
Sep 26, 2006

Chalalala~

KitConstantine posted:

The place where reality could make some concessions to ideals is that maybe prisons don't need to be barren holes you shove a person in to abandon them for however long if you're not profiting off them instead, and perhaps prisoners deserve some compassion and help to overcome whatever issues landed them there in the first place. Alex Jones would undoubtedly scoff at the prospect of talking to counsellors or psychologists, but it's pretty obvious he's in need of some regardless as an example.

rotinaj
Sep 5, 2008

Fun Shoe
Yeah if yall didnt like listening to alex’s fill-in understudy, you will really dislike listening to pim tool, kanye west, and nick fuentes

Give it a skip if you don’t hate yourself

Mercury_Storm
Jun 12, 2003

*chomp chomp chomp*
I got a gigantic (medium, which is still huge, the large one would probably take up a whole wall) purple penguin tapestry from the Knowledge Fight guy's store, but does anyone know whose signature is on here?

https://www.teepublic.com/tapestry/11697589-purple-penguin?store_id=400246

Antigravitas
Dec 8, 2019

Die Rettung fuer die Landwirte:

rotinaj posted:

While I do hate myself, I don't hate myself enough for that. Definitely a skip for me. Cripes.

Xiahou Dun
Jul 16, 2009

rotinaj posted:

Yeah if yall didnt like listening to alex’s fill-in understudy, you will really dislike listening to pim tool, kanye west, and nick fuentes

As someone who listens to podcast while he smokes, this episode is doing great things for my lungs.

teen witch
Oct 9, 2012

rotinaj posted:

Thanks for the heads up, after this shooting something has snapped real bad in me and my tolerance for hearing some of this poo poo went from very minimal to nonexistence.

Alex I’m fully immunized to, he is a yammering steak goblin rotting from the inside out. I can handle his brand of brain worms.

The rest just disgust me in a way I can’t quite understand myself. I can hear their comments be read by Dan and I’m fine as I know they’re sort of second hand and defanged - I can’t hear the utter venom. But hearing it straight from the source, there’s that little extra bit of bile I burp up.

KitConstantine
Jan 11, 2013

teen witch posted:

Thanks for the heads up, after this shooting something has snapped real bad in me and my tolerance for hearing some of this poo poo went from very minimal to nonexistence.

Alex I’m fully immunized to, he is a yammering steak goblin rotting from the inside out. I can handle his brand of brain worms.

The rest just disgust me in a way I can’t quite understand myself. I can hear their comments be read by Dan and I’m fine as I know they’re sort of second hand and defanged - I can’t hear the utter venom. But hearing it straight from the source, there’s that little extra bit of bile I burp up.

The kanye/Pool portion of the ep doesn't touch on the shooting much - mostly it's just drama about ye's antisemitism and his inability to handle the slightest pushback. I haven't listened to the Fuentes focused portion yet.

As someone who watched the kanye thing unfold via HasanAbi's twitch coverage before the ep came out you aren't missing anything if you give this a pass - it's just a further demonstration of his slide deeper and deeper into the clutches of white nationalism and a lot of Jordan being righteously and correctly pissed about it. Jordan is also Bipolar so it hit him pretty hard :smith:

ILL Machina
Mar 25, 2004

I found the new ep to be pretty educational, esp regarding Fuentes who I had only heard a few things about. It sounds like these profiles are going to mostly be one offs, luckily.

KitConstantine posted:

Oh I tend to believe in prison abolition myself. I was just more venting frustration that there are those kinds of shitheads in the world making it harder to actually implement by providing a convenient counterargument as though the for-profit prison system in the US isn't a loving nightmarish abberation even among penal structures globally.

Apologies for coming off like I was explaining why prisons exist

No it's ok. It's just the very first counter argument any abolitionist gets: "What about rapists and serial killers and the really bad guys." I don't have a good answer but jail isn't it, at least not the current carceral system, as you and other have said.

Your Gay Uncle
Feb 16, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
Do the brain worms that conservatives have burrow into the part of the brain that controls having a nasaly voice? Why do they all talk like that

Everett False
Sep 28, 2006

Mopsy, I'm starting to question your medical credentials.

Mercury_Storm posted:

I got a gigantic (medium, which is still huge, the large one would probably take up a whole wall) purple penguin tapestry from the Knowledge Fight guy's store, but does anyone know whose signature is on here?

https://www.teepublic.com/tapestry/11697589-purple-penguin?store_id=400246

Pretty sure it's Lar DeSouza.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shinji2015
Aug 31, 2007

Your Gay Uncle posted:

Do the brain worms that conservatives have burrow into the part of the brain that controls having a nasaly voice? Why do they all talk like that

This is what's killing me about these assholes. For years I've heard conservatives complain about how soft-spoken people on NPR are and how bad they are to listen to, and they're going to recommend these people instead? Christ.

I do agree with Dan's assessment that he does need to pay attention to them outside of Alex, and I will listen, but... I'm going to need breaks, especially if he ever does an entire episode on Tucker