Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

joedevola
Sep 11, 2004

worst song, played on ugliest guitar

barnold posted:

For a VHS-C project, I would just get a Diamond VC500. It's a known good USB converter, won't break the bank, and will work great for what you are trying to do. I have one that I've used for regular VHS as well as DVCAM recordings and it handles interlaced video no problem at all.

Oh good shout, thanks!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ArfJason
Sep 5, 2011
having to put my window blinds down so i can properly color grade footage... a sad tale

greazeball
Feb 4, 2003

Hello, thread. I need some advice on editing for pre-production so I hope that's still ok. Plus it's been about a million years since I did anything properly with video :ohdear:

What's a good tool to make an animatic/plan a branching video? I'm developing an online course and I've got access to a pretty nice video recording studio to make instructional videos. The final output will be an H5P video (you can add interactive elements like menus or quizzes). Basically, I'll be giving instructions for each class session, with buttons users can click to go to another set of instructions if they want them. I have an Adobe Creative Cloud license through the school and a reasonable Windows gaming PC from 2018 at home to work on.

I work best when I can work with the work in progress, if that makes sense. I'm not someone who can really visualise a final product, I needto do a lot of workshopping. Obviously, I don't want to do this with studio time! So I'm looking for something where I can read a script over some basic sketches to figure out what works best and then build a shot list from that. Thanks for any ideas!

the_lion
Jun 8, 2010

On the hunt for prey... :D

greazeball posted:

Hello, thread. I need some advice on editing for pre-production so I hope that's still ok. Plus it's been about a million years since I did anything properly with video :ohdear:

What's a good tool to make an animatic/plan a branching video? I'm developing an online course and I've got access to a pretty nice video recording studio to make instructional videos. The final output will be an H5P video (you can add interactive elements like menus or quizzes). Basically, I'll be giving instructions for each class session, with buttons users can click to go to another set of instructions if they want them. I have an Adobe Creative Cloud license through the school and a reasonable Windows gaming PC from 2018 at home to work on.

I work best when I can work with the work in progress, if that makes sense. I'm not someone who can really visualise a final product, I needto do a lot of workshopping. Obviously, I don't want to do this with studio time! So I'm looking for something where I can read a script over some basic sketches to figure out what works best and then build a shot list from that. Thanks for any ideas!

Storyboarder by wonderunit is free and good for storyboarding. You can even use 3d models if you can't draw and it's easy to use. Links up with Photoshop if you want it to.

The branching part, you may be better with adobe xd. It's easy to set up clicks and things.

Alan_Shore
Dec 2, 2004

Please help me, I'm at my wit's end!

Green screen. Resolve 18. Paid project (but not much!).

This puppet is giving me so much grief. Whatever I try it ends up looking awful.

- 3D Keyer on Edit tab: leaves ugly gray lines around both person and puppet that I can't get rid of (I believe because the puppet has a yellow "aura" around it? See pic)
- Delta keyer on Fusion tab: Person looks great, puppet is transparent in parts and no amount of fiddling looks good
- Tracking in Color tab: constantly misses parts, making it transparent

Is there anything I can do to make the green screen work quickly and efficiently?

Aix
Jul 6, 2006
$10
Oof, that looks like someone touched the lens, what was this shot on?

Lizard Combatant
Sep 29, 2010

I have some notes.

Alan_Shore posted:

Is there anything I can do to make the green screen work quickly and efficiently?

I've never used resolve or fusion to key a shot, but general tip number 1:

Split your subjects up, one key will rarely work for everything. Put loose mattes around the person, the puppet and scenery as separate layers (or nodes).

Hopefully someone with actual experience with fusion can chime in, but in something like after effects, just the chroma removal tool is often just the first step. There's also tools that help refine your key, particularly when you have soft edges like that puppet there.

YouTube is your friend.

Is it just the one shot? Because if you get REALLY stuck and are at a make or break time crunch, shoot me a PM and i might be able to take a look for you.

the_lion
Jun 8, 2010

On the hunt for prey... :D

Alan_Shore posted:

Please help me, I'm at my wit's end!

Green screen. Resolve 18. Paid project (but not much!).

This puppet is giving me so much grief. Whatever I try it ends up looking awful.

- 3D Keyer on Edit tab: leaves ugly gray lines around both person and puppet that I can't get rid of (I believe because the puppet has a yellow "aura" around it? See pic)
- Delta keyer on Fusion tab: Person looks great, puppet is transparent in parts and no amount of fiddling looks good
- Tracking in Color tab: constantly misses parts, making it transparent

I use the 3d keyer in Davinci but then use either simple matte choker or refine hard matte (or refine soft matte) effects in After effects to remove the halo.

What it does is bring the edge pixels in a little, removing the halo around it. If you use refine hard hard matte, the control you want is called shift edge and you want to move it into the minus direction from memory (ie -2 for example).

the_lion fucked around with this message at 07:55 on Nov 28, 2022

Lizard Combatant
Sep 29, 2010

I have some notes.

the_lion posted:

I use the 3d keyer in Davinci but then use either simple matte choker or refine hard matte (or refine soft matte) effects in After effects to remove the halo.

What it does is bring the edge pixels in a little, removing the halo around it. If you use refine hard hard matte, the control you want is called shift edge and you want to move it into the minus direction from memory (ie -2 for example).

If you're using AE anyway, you might wanna just use keylight as well. By pre-rendering out of resolve you're losing a lot of information that refine matte can use to bring back detail like hair etc...

Alan_Shore
Dec 2, 2004

Thanks, everyone! This was shot on Black Magic believe it or not. Oof yeah, all those extra steps and fiddling are definitely not worth what the pay is, but thankfully they realise their green screen problems and are getting rid of it and have kindly offered to give me another project without the green screen.

thunderspanks
Nov 5, 2003

crucify this

Alan_Shore posted:

Thanks, everyone! This was shot on Black Magic believe it or not. Oof yeah, all those extra steps and fiddling are definitely not worth what the pay is, but thankfully they realise their green screen problems and are getting rid of it and have kindly offered to give me another project without the green screen.

In the future, advise them that having the shot in focus is a tremendous help. On a more serious note, if they aren't adverse to it for whatever technical reasons, increasing the shutter speed will reduce motion blur and make the process a little easier. It's a tradeoff though as they'll lose light doing it and may have to decide between stopping up or adjusting gain (or the lights themselves). It's a balancing act but you've just seen why it's an important conversation to have, no one wins when you just throw a green up and hope for the best.

magiccarpet
Jan 3, 2005

Can anyone recommend some internal SSDs for cutting? I have an OWC raid box that needs to get put back together and I have a large multicam 4k project coming up.

Thanks!

El Jeffe
Dec 24, 2009

How do I turn a 1920x1080 video into a vertical aspect ratio video using Davinci Resolve?

Basically I want to turn what I have on the left to what's depicted on the right, with cropped sides and empty space on top and bottom:

I know how to render it with a custom resolution of 1080x1920 but that doesn't crop the sides, and if do crop it manually before rendering, it leaves empty spaces on the sides.

powderific
May 13, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Are you putting the clip/clips in a timeline that's set to the aspect ratio you want and then scaling the clip to how you want or doing something else for the crop? Cause I don't see why that shouldn't work fine

El Jeffe
Dec 24, 2009

powderific posted:

Are you putting the clip/clips in a timeline that's set to the aspect ratio you want and then scaling the clip to how you want or doing something else for the crop? Cause I don't see why that shouldn't work fine

Ahh nope, didn't even know that was a thing. Thanks!

d0grent
Dec 5, 2004

Has anyone ever had issues with parts of their Premiere timeline just disappearing? This seems to happen to me like once every 3 months and I'm completely confounded every time as to how it's even possible. I'll be working on something I have parked at the ~17 min mark and then when I'm done and scroll out, I notice that a bunch of audio and video clips earlier in the project are just gone. There's not much rhyme or reason to it either - it won't be an entire chunk missing, just a handful of clips.

Skunkduster
Jul 15, 2005

I'm using Fairlight in the free version of Davinci Resolve 17 and I am an absolute beginner. I have an audio track that I cut a section out and repasted it a handful of times to simulate a skipping record. I want to do a fade-out over all of the repeats. I've been struggling with this for two days and it seems that what I need to do is create a compound clip to merge all my cut and paste edits together. The problem is that the "Clip>New Compound Clip" is grayed out. Is that option only available in the paid version, or am I missing a step somewhere?

powderific
May 13, 2004

Grimey Drawer
You could bounce it to a new track and do the fade on that. I don’t think compound clip is exclusive to studio or anything though. Have you tried doing the same thing from the edit page instead? Saw someone posting something bout trying that.

Alan_Shore
Dec 2, 2004

SkunkDuster posted:

I'm using Fairlight in the free version of Davinci Resolve 17 and I am an absolute beginner. I have an audio track that I cut a section out and repasted it a handful of times to simulate a skipping record. I want to do a fade-out over all of the repeats. I've been struggling with this for two days and it seems that what I need to do is create a compound clip to merge all my cut and paste edits together. The problem is that the "Clip>New Compound Clip" is grayed out. Is that option only available in the paid version, or am I missing a step somewhere?

Why not render the cut out parts as a new audio, then import that in and fade it?

powderific
May 13, 2004

Grimey Drawer
I just tested this in Resolve and you do indeed have to do it from the edit panel and can't do it in Fairlight if you want a compound clip.

And just FYI bouncing the track is basically what Alan_Shore is describe except it just does it in the panel instead of going through deliver and then re-importing.

Skunkduster
Jul 15, 2005

powderific posted:

I just tested this in Resolve and you do indeed have to do it from the edit panel and can't do it in Fairlight if you want a compound clip.

And just FYI bouncing the track is basically what Alan_Shore is describe except it just does it in the panel instead of going through deliver and then re-importing.

Thanks for the replies. This will give me something to try tonight when I get home. Is bouncing the track something that can be done from Fairlight, or is that also done from the Edit panel?

powderific
May 13, 2004

Grimey Drawer
You do it in Fairlight.

Skunkduster
Jul 15, 2005

I just went into the edit tab and created a compound clip. That solved my problem. Two days of struggling with this in Fairlight and all it took was switching to the edit tab. I figured it was something easy that I was missing. Thanks all!

BonoMan
Feb 20, 2002

Jade Ear Joe

SkunkDuster posted:

I just went into the edit tab and created a compound clip. That solved my problem. Two days of struggling with this in Fairlight and all it took was switching to the edit tab. I figured it was something easy that I was missing. Thanks all!

Hey just a heads up that you can use something called "Automations" in Fairlight to animate the fader level which will prevent you from having to do compound clips or anything. (It's also just a powerful thing to learn).

It's kind of annoying that the fader isn't keyframable in the properties panel. But you can definitely do it with automations and this would solve your issue.

Schwarzwald
Jul 27, 2004

Don't Blink
I'm an amateur messing around with Vegas Pro (ver 18) and I've encountered a conundrum.

This is what I'm trying to do: have a full screen static background image (png), on top of which is a moving grid (separate .veg file), on top of which is a static foreground image (png).

Vegas reports that all of these are 1440x1080, which agrees with my project file. However, Vegas displays the images as wider than the video, unless I turn off "Maintain Aspect Ratio" in their video fx menus.

Now, it's easy enough to do that so this isn't necessarily a problem , but I'm very confused that the program would necessitate this. All three sources should be the same size already. Can anyone shed some light on why it behaves this way?

powderific
May 13, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Do you have a non-square pixel aspect ratio somewhere perhaps?

Edit: like, this is separate from the frames aspect ratio it’s the actual pixels being stretched or whatever.

Kingo Ligma
Aug 24, 2019

Ask me about calling people racist because I failed geography.

Schwarzwald posted:

Can anyone shed some light on why it behaves this way?

A somewhat reductive but 100% accurate answer

Schwarzwald
Jul 27, 2004

Don't Blink

powderific posted:

Do you have a non-square pixel aspect ratio somewhere perhaps?

Edit: like, this is separate from the frames aspect ratio it’s the actual pixels being stretched or whatever.

Huh, I'm not quite positive where I would look to check that...

edit: sonuva bitch

Kingo Ligma posted:

A somewhat reductive but 100% accurate answer

oh no

Schwarzwald fucked around with this message at 05:30 on Feb 22, 2023

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

I guess it’s defaulting to non-square pixels because it wrongfully thinks 1440px wide must be HDV even in 2023.

At least you get the joy of just changing that setting and going on your merry while other fools (like myself) are stuck in a world of multiple aspect ratios because the world used to be an awful place.

barclayed
Apr 15, 2022

"I just saved your ass... with MONOPOLY!"
Hello! Wanted to ask what video editing software is best for a college student going into film production classes, or what my professors will be expecting me to know. The course description just says I should be familiar with sound and video editing (as well as cameras and lighting, but that’s a different story), and I’ve got the whole summer to learn.

VelociBacon
Dec 8, 2009

barclayed posted:

Hello! Wanted to ask what video editing software is best for a college student going into film production classes, or what my professors will be expecting me to know. The course description just says I should be familiar with sound and video editing (as well as cameras and lighting, but that’s a different story), and I’ve got the whole summer to learn.

DaVinci Resolve, absolutely no question. It's free and does everything you'll need. Some advanced stuff is behind a paywall but you won't need that stuff at this point. Have fun and good luck!

Kingo Ligma
Aug 24, 2019

Unless you want to work as an actual editor, then stay as far away from resolve as possible

Something Else
Dec 27, 2004

to ride eternal, shiny and chrome

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2022
If the course description didn’t mention a particular program, then they just want you to understand fundamentals of non-linear editing. Resolve is the best free option for this. Adobe Premiere would be the next best option, particularly with student discounts that Adobe might offer. Avid is not worth learning on your own though if the school trains you on it, it is useful to know professionally. No other program is worth your time.

BonoMan
Feb 20, 2002

Jade Ear Joe

Kingo Ligma posted:

Unless you want to work as an actual editor, then stay as far away from resolve as possible

What? Why? Resolve is great. You get an easy to access taste of editing, audio work and finishing right there. It's fantastic for free!

Babysitter Super Sleuth
Apr 26, 2012

my posts are as bad the Current Releases review of Gone Girl

The interface is different across all of them but the fundamentals of NLE carry across resolve and premiere, the only real curveball is if they get to the class and theyre expecting you to know FCPX or something

Kingo Ligma
Aug 24, 2019

BonoMan posted:

What? Why? Resolve is great. You get an easy to access taste of editing, audio work and finishing right there. It's fantastic for free!

No professional narrative or doco has ever been made in resolve, the workflow sucks and teaches you bad habits that will actively gently caress up real world workflows.

If you want to edit for a living, start on media composer. Don't waste time loving around with consumer grade stuff. There is a free version that is only limited in track number and export type.

If anyone in this thread that's recommended resolve actually edits long form for a day job I'll red text myself.

VelociBacon
Dec 8, 2009

Kingo Ligma posted:

No professional narrative or doco has ever been made in resolve, the workflow sucks and teaches you bad habits that will actively gently caress up real world workflows.

If you want to edit for a living, start on media composer. Don't waste time loving around with consumer grade stuff. There is a free version that is only limited in track number and export type.

If anyone in this thread that's recommended resolve actually edits long form for a day job I'll red text myself.

He's taking like intro to film 101 and probably will be learning how to change project settings, cut clips together, level audio, apply crossfades, understand rendering, etc. At that level it's all basically transferable knowledge and resolve is so similar to premier and similar tools that I think it's completely fine. OP if you're a disgraced James Cameron who is trying to make his next film by himself then yeah you *might* need something more complex.

Kingo Ligma
Aug 24, 2019

The beginning of my post said "if you want to edit as a career", that seems pretty clear.

BonoMan
Feb 20, 2002

Jade Ear Joe

Kingo Ligma posted:

The beginning of my post said "if you want to edit as a career", that seems pretty clear.

Actually it says "Unless you want to work as an actual editor, then stay as far away from resolve as possible"

Which I think means the opposite of what you intended lol.

I don't edit long form, but I do use it every day on short form stuff and I'd love to know what bad habits it teaches you for long form editing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

powderific
May 13, 2004

Grimey Drawer
You should just email one of the professors and find out what you'll be using instead of guessing.