Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

FreudianSlippers
Apr 12, 2010

Shooting and Fucking
are the same thing!

Is the Evil Dead The Game game any good?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pope Guilty
Nov 6, 2006

The human animal is a beautiful and terrible creature, capable of limitless compassion and unfathomable cruelty.
I tried it out but the controls feel balky and clumsy to me.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

FreudianSlippers posted:

Is the Evil Dead The Game game any good?

It is or was free on epic store so you can possibly just try it.

I bought it day one as a pact with goons and we played it for a whopping 45 minutes before forgetting about it. I hear it’s actually decent though

TheWorldsaStage
Sep 10, 2020

thebardyspoon posted:

I like the Suffering quite a bit from that era. Dunno how it'd feel these days.

Getting it to emulate has been a pain for me.

On the game itself, they went way waaaaay harder on the voice acting than anyone could expect.

Hector Delgado
Sep 23, 2007

Time for shore leave!!
drat Shibitos (Siren) and their amazing reach. How the hell can one strangle me with the same hand that's holding a flashlight?!? Show me those fingers, gotta be pretty long, maybe hot dog fingers...

BisbyWorl
Jan 12, 2019

Knowledge is pain plus observation.

Captain Hygiene posted:

That one came to mind as something interesting to see a perspective on, coming into it fresh now. Does it have particular emulation issues? That popped into my head for some reason, but I could easily be conflating it with some other game from that era.

I had one issue where the flat image past a room transition in one room in the entire game ended up covering most of the screen, forcing me to do a room semi-blind, but that was several years ago so its probably been fixed since then.

TheWorldsaStage
Sep 10, 2020

Found a cool spoiler free interview with the creative heads of the Dark Pictures games posted today!

https://www.rockpapershotgun.com/urban-legends-and-modern-myths-supermassive-on-how-the-dark-pictures-anthology-ties-together

CuddleCryptid
Jan 11, 2013

Things could be going better

I'm almost done with Devil In Me, and it's pretty good now that the patch has come out, but I do have an issue with some of the later game traps.

There are several times when you have to choose between characters and there isn't a way out, but then the game goes *psych* it actually was totally escapable for reasons you didn't have access to!

oh, you have to pick between two people in an asphyxiation chamber? well the seals on one of the windows is bad so the one you didnt pick gets saved and then it's never brought up again. oh, you have to choose between two characters with a crushing wall? well we decided that the character will just accidentally break the glass at the last second.

it's fine, I guess, and it's good to keep people alive despite the "mandatory" deaths that the killer has set up to actually take them down, but I don't feel like you really have any agency with those decisions.

Blockhouse
Sep 7, 2014

You Win!
The premise of Devil in Me just reminds me that H.H. Holmes could have gotten away with all of those murders and disappeared if he hadn't stopped to inexplicably steal a horse

Pope Guilty
Nov 6, 2006

The human animal is a beautiful and terrible creature, capable of limitless compassion and unfathomable cruelty.

Blockhouse posted:

The premise of Devil in Me just reminds me that H.H. Holmes could have gotten away with all of those murders and disappeared if he hadn't stopped to inexplicably steal a horse

Some things you just do for the love of the game.

Bogart
Apr 12, 2010

by VideoGames
stands for Horse Horse Holmes

FreudianSlippers
Apr 12, 2010

Shooting and Fucking
are the same thing!

A classic example of a psychopath being arrested for something minor because they have no impulse control and just do whatever comes into their head.

Trickortreat
Oct 31, 2020
I just finished act one of Little hope. How much time do I have left? I'm wondering if I can binge through the whole game.

man nurse
Feb 18, 2014

The dark pictures games are relatively short, probably 3-4 hours.

CV 64 Fan
Oct 13, 2012

It's pretty dope.
Haunting Ground is the best Clock Tower imo.

Montague Tigg
Mar 23, 2008

Previously, on "Ronnie Likes Data":

Bogart posted:

stands for Horse Horse Holmes

Hungry Hungry Holmes

CuddleCryptid
Jan 11, 2013

Things could be going better

Montague Tigg posted:

Hungry Hungry Holmes

Misread this and now I'm imagining a HGTV show about murder houses.

"Today on Hungry Hungry Homes: She wants an acid bath, but he wants a meat Grinder. Can they find a place that satisfies both of them?"

Read After Burning
Feb 19, 2013

"All this, for me? 💃Ah, you didn't have to! 🥰"

Disposable Scud posted:

Haunting Ground is the best Clock Tower imo.

I was obsessed with Daniella when I was a kid. :allears: I thought she was so badass and creepy.

Ineffiable
Feb 16, 2008

Some say that his politics are terrifying, and that he once punched a horse to the ground...

Okay Little Hope platinum trophy is in the bag. I'm thinking of revisiting Resident Evil 7 and trying for all the trophies.

I feel like the stragety here is do the 4 hour run (I'm doing a collectible run to refamiliar myself) because the speedrun gives you plenty of goodies (has the best ones actually) then I go do madhouse and then cleaning up anything else is easy.

Montague Tigg
Mar 23, 2008

CuddleCryptid posted:

"Today on Hungry Hungry Homes: She wants an acid bath, but he wants a meat Grinder. Can they find a place that satisfies both of them?"

:sickos:

Dienes
Nov 4, 2009

dee
doot doot dee
doot doot doot
doot doot dee
dee doot doot
doot doot dee
dee doot doot

College Slice

CuddleCryptid posted:

Quit pitching a second season of SurrealEstate.

brap
Aug 23, 2004

Grimey Drawer
I have to say that RE3 remake might be the biggest possible letdown after playing RE2 remake. The removal of sub-weapons and replacement with the dodging system is maybe the most galling bit. In the original, knives were a get out of jail free card if you get attacked. You could recover it with reduced durability if you went on to kill your attacker. It also makes it easier to pack more functions into the controller instead of just assigning all weapons to the dpad.

Now you kinda just press a dodge button and hope. The only way to discover the timings as far as I can tell is trial and error. But this is supposed to be survival horror, not Hades. I particularly hate that the screen goes *whoosh* like the game wants to make sure you know that you did something cool.

There are also a surprising number of one hit kill attacks in RE3. The big fish guys, the Hunters, etc. these can OHKO even on the Assisted mode, which I switched to because I wasn’t having fun on Normal mode. The only case of such OHKOs in RE2, outside of special events/bosses, are the Ivys..which can be prevented with a sub-weapon.

BTW, I came into this game having just completed Hardcore S+ runs for both Leon and Claire. So I know RE2’s mechanics well. This game just seems purpose built to frustrate me, particularly when I try to play to get decent at it, be able to dodge things, hit the right spots and reliably stun and all that kind of thing.

Also, I just hate that items are in crates now. It’s just so goofy and it doesn’t fit the tone of a horror game. Like they know the knife is useless now that you can’t protect yourself with it, so just carry it to break boxes without using ammo.

brap fucked around with this message at 02:55 on Nov 28, 2022

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007
stories untold had an interesting first chapter and then ended up being a guilty coma dream

I. AM. GRABBING. ALL. HORROR. DEVELOPERS. BY. THE. NECK. AND. TELLING. THEM. WITH. GREAT. VEHEMENCE. TO. CUT. THIS. poo poo. OUT.

Ineffiable
Feb 16, 2008

Some say that his politics are terrifying, and that he once punched a horse to the ground...

brap posted:

I have to say that RE3 remake might be the biggest possible letdown after playing RE2 remake. The removal of sub-weapons and replacement with the dodging system is maybe the most galling bit. In the original, knives were a get out of jail free card if you get attacked. You could recover it with reduced durability if you went on to kill your attacker. It also makes it easier to pack more functions into the controller instead of just assigning all weapons to the dpad.

Now you kinda just press a dodge button and hope. The only way to discover the timings as far as I can tell is trial and error. But this is supposed to be survival horror, not Hades. I particularly hate that the screen goes *whoosh* like the game wants to make sure you know that you did something cool.

There are also a surprising number of one hit kill attacks in RE3. The big fish guys, the Hunters, etc. these can OHKO even on the Assisted mode, which I switched to because I wasn’t having fun on Normal mode. The only case of such OHKOs in RE2, outside of special events/bosses, are the Ivys..which can be prevented with a sub-weapon.

BTW, I came into this game having just completed Hardcore S+ runs for both Leon and Claire. So I know RE2’s mechanics well. This game just seems purpose built to frustrate me, particularly when I try to play to get decent at it, be able to dodge things, hit the right spots and reliably stun and all that kind of thing.

Also, I just hate that items are in crates now. It’s just so goofy and it doesn’t fit the tone of a horror game. Like they know the knife is useless now that you can’t protect yourself with it, so just carry it to break boxes without using ammo.

Hey re7 has stuff in crates too (and re8).

Resident Evil is a mixed bag of games, they're all really different in their own ways. Do I regret playing Re3 remake? No, I appreciate getting to play it(I've played the original psx classic once) and the re:sistance game was pretty fun for a few hours (if you played it at launch when nobody knew like anything about it, it was really fun to try and make it or try to kill all the survivors. Now everyone use meta OP level max stuff)

Doomykins
Jun 28, 2008

Didn't you mean to ask about flowers?

brap posted:

So I know RE2’s mechanics well. This game just seems purpose built to frustrate me,

The most dramatic change I found is that RE3R rewards you for killing 100% of enemies. It was particularly dumb in instances like the sewers, where I liked the design and intense horror of the big hunter gammas that trigger the "oh god don't touch me" reflex but hated that you're immediately given the grenade launcher, ammo that one-shots the hunters, and enough shots to clear the sewers with leftovers. Why not a tense, claustrophobic section with little maze alcoves like the fly nest? poo poo, imagine if they tied the reusable key mechanic in that same section to it so you had to fight after trapping yourself to access something, or you had to toggle a path to prevent an overwhelming patrol.

But that's 3R, which admittedly does mirror the original RE3s pressing of more action yeaaaahhh!! for the series. I liked it but see missed potential everywhere.

Montague Tigg
Mar 23, 2008

Callisto Protocol is out on Friday and I'm loving hyped

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

You mess with the crabbo...

Montague Tigg posted:

Goddammit, I just finished up buying and playing through other expensive new games :negative:

Vermain
Sep 5, 2006

Montague Tigg posted:

praying my new rig actually arrives in time to be able to play it by then. extremely eager to see what glen and his team have cooked up this time

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

RE3 remake is great imo. It's the best show of balancing Resident Evil between horror and action entries. Instead of reinventing the wheel when no one wanted it like RE6, it's basically a punched up RE2 Remake. I think playing them back to back makes RE3 extra fun because it feels like a victory run power fantasy game. It also looks fantastic.

My only critisim of it is that it was over priced as a $60 title with how short and low on extras it is.

WaltherFeng
May 15, 2013

50 thousand people used to live here. Now, it's the Mushroom Kingdom.
Not having a Mercenaries type of time attack mode in RE3R was the biggest downside.

BisbyWorl
Jan 12, 2019

Knowledge is pain plus observation.

WaltherFeng posted:

Not having a Mercenaries type of time attack mode in RE3R was the biggest downside.

Especially when Mercenaries started in RE3!

Bumhead
Sep 26, 2022

REmake is the best remake of a game ever, still. It takes away nothing and everything it adds enhances the experience. Other than nostalgia or to savour that superb dialogue, nobody needs to play the original ever again.

REmake 2 is a great game in its own right and a very serviceable remake. Everybody should play RE2:R. But it doesn't fully replace the original game, and the original still has some things worth seeing that the remake doesn't do. They are both brilliant and can and should co-exist.

REmake 3 is a decent game but a bad remake. It's a fun time. A really short but sharp slice of Resident Evil possibly at its absolute best in terms of action. It's only a surface level interpretation of RE3 though. Like its drawn from memory. Too many lost moments and this version of Nemesis ain't it. It's the only one of the 3 where I outright prefer the original game no questions asked.

Anyway, ignoring what I just said about RE1, I'm begging Capcom to bundle that original trilogy on Steam etc. Assuming we're done with remakes after 4 (this Code Veronica remake begging isn't serious, surely?) it seems like the biggest/easiest pot of money still left on the table for them with RE. None of them deserve to be lost to time just because of the remakes and at least 2 of the 3 are still highly recommended to play regardless.

TheWorldsaStage
Sep 10, 2020

I know I want a Code Veronica remake.

Tired Moritz
Mar 25, 2012

wish Lowtax would get tired of YOUR POSTS

(n o i c e)
same but only because im very curious to how they will yassify Steve like what they did with Carlos

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

You mess with the crabbo...

TheWorldsaStage posted:

I know I want a Code Veronica remake.

That's come up quite a bit in the RE thread. I'm gonna play and (presumably) enjoy the 4 remake, but I would've picked CV to do instead because I never played the original and will never go back to do so. Not to mention, 4 is at the point where a remake will change things substantially less compared to the older games, whereas every time I see praise for CV it's tempered by pretty major complaints about some of its design decisions.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

4 is the most popular RE title and CV probably doesn’t crack the top ten. I could see it getting a remake if they just keep on doing all of the old ones but I wouldn’t be surprised to see RE1 get another remake first. If they do a CV remake it’ll probably be that and Zero because they ran out of stuff to remake.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

Personally I think they should just call it good on the remakes after 4 and make all new games in both the style of the remakes and others in the style of re7

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

FEAR MY SHARK ROCKET IT REALLY SUCKS AND BLOWS

veni veni veni posted:

Personally I think they should just call it good on the remakes after 4 and make all new games in both the style of the remakes and others in the style of re7

I tend to think they're looking to have future games having 3rd and 1st person available as options, with the RE8 DLC opening that door.

TheWorldsaStage
Sep 10, 2020

veni veni veni posted:

4 is the most popular RE title and CV probably doesn’t crack the top ten. I could see it getting a remake if they just keep on doing all of the old ones but I wouldn’t be surprised to see RE1 get another remake first. If they do a CV remake it’ll probably be that and Zero because they ran out of stuff to remake.

How are we defining popular? 7 sold the most out of them all

TheWorldsaStage fucked around with this message at 19:01 on Nov 28, 2022

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MMF Freeway
Sep 15, 2010

Later!
Pretty much any definition puts RE4 high and CV low