Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Should I step down as head of twitter
This poll is closed.
Yes 420 4.43%
No 69 0.73%
Goku 9001 94.85%
Total: 9490 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

repiv
Aug 13, 2009

kazil posted:

I'm not going to look, but I assume half of the replies to Elon right now are calling for him to buy Apple

they're calling for him to release the miracle teslaphone they imagined he must be capable of releasing on short notice

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

OneEightHundred
Feb 28, 2008

Soon, we will be unstoppable!
Is this the public naming and shaming he was threatening earlier? Yesssssss.

Hardcastlemccormik posted:

I would pay money to listen into the execs at Apple trying to figure out what Musk will do next and if they have to respond now or not.

The strongest we get from Apple would be an open letter in the style of Jobs’ rant against Flash or DRM. I doubt it though. This won’t affect them.
I would say they could retaliate with capricious App Store rule changes that forces Twitter's depleted engineering staff to waste precious time doing nonsense to stay on, but that'd be indistinguishable from what they already do.

Hardcastlemccormik
Jul 19, 2022

kazil posted:

I'm not going to look, but I assume half of the replies to Elon right now are calling for him to buy Apple

I glanced at the comments. It’s a loving mess. Spam bots, reply guys, people screaming about censorship.

TulliusCicero
Jul 29, 2017

kazil posted:

Yeah about that

Reality posted:

Apple net worth as of November 25, 2022 is $2356.15B.

Twitter is chump change and so is Elon compared to actual big tech

Stoatbringer
Sep 15, 2004

naw, you love it you little ho-bot :roboluv:

Libs won't give me all their money! :qq:

Steadiman
Jan 31, 2006

Hey...what kind of party is this? there's no booze and only one hooker!

silly sevens

kazil posted:

I mean it's one apple Elon, what could it cost?

Rigel
Nov 11, 2016

I'm guessing that Elon's sudden anger and hostility to Apple which may seem to us to be coming from nowhere, is probably due to some recent directive from Apple we don't know about commanding Twitter to make some changes that Elon doesn't like. Given Elon's sudden free speech tirade against Apple, my guess is that Apple said "get rid of the nazis and the hate speech or else"

BigglesSWE
Dec 2, 2014

How 'bout them hawks news huh!
How long till he actually re-bans Trump in a tearful rage over how incredibly NOT upset he is that he wouldn’t tweet?

lifetime supply of Pocky
Aug 19, 2003

Elmo is mangosteening so hard right now

TulliusCicero
Jul 29, 2017

Rigel posted:

I'm guessing that Elon's sudden anger and hostility to Apple which may seem to us to be coming from nowhere, is probably due to some recent directive from Apple we don't know about commanding Twitter to make some changes that Elon doesn't like. Given Elon's sudden free speech tirade against Apple, my guess is that Apple said "get rid of the nazis and the hate speech or else"

It's almost surely this behind the scenes

Pissbaby is mad someone with more power than him is telling him what to do, because that should not be possible.

repiv
Aug 13, 2009

https://twitter.com/elonmusk/status/1597295832759382016

A GIANT PARSNIP
Apr 13, 2010

Too much fuckin' eggnog

BigglesSWE posted:

How long till he actually re-bans Trump in a tearful rage over how incredibly NOT upset he is that he wouldn’t tweet?

Trump probably thinks he can buy Twitter after Elon runs it into the ground

MrQwerty
Apr 15, 2003

LOVE IS BEAUTIFUL
(づ ̄ ³ ̄)づ♥(‘∀’●)

https://twitter.com/elonmusk/status/1597297717704728577

if Apple delists, Google should immediately follow suit.

Hardcastlemccormik
Jul 19, 2022

Rigel posted:

If that was the issue, I think Elon would just post about that specifically.

I’m inclined to take him at face value - he wants a big advertiser target that will rile up his right wing fan base, who are already prepped to hate tech companies/employees and “woke” Apple.

Edit; well shows what I know.

TulliusCicero
Jul 29, 2017

Lmao even loving Meta is worth way more than Twitter

Yeah, Elon'sworld: release that phone, try to buy Apple and Samsung :lol:

Steadiman
Jan 31, 2006

silly sevens

@timcook, I showed you my poll. plz respond

TheOneAndOnlyT
Dec 18, 2005

Well well, mister fancy-pants, I hope you're wearing your matching sweater today, or you'll be cut down like the ugly tree you are.

Rigel posted:

Yeah, my guess is that Elon's trying to get out in front of things by painting Apple as some horrible censor before they inevitably delist the Twitter app. Unfortunately, Twitter needs Apple wayyyyyy more than Apple needs Twitter. 🤣🤣🤣

BigglesSWE
Dec 2, 2014

LoL yeah he be mad about some back room talk for sure. And like the big strong man he is, he flails about on Twitter about it.

A GIANT PARSNIP
Apr 13, 2010

Too much fuckin' eggnog

Steadiman posted:

@timcook, I showed you my poll. plz respond

@timcook is this thing even on???

Clouseau
Aug 3, 2003

My theories appall you, my heresies outrage you, I never answer letters, and you don't like my tie.

Rigel posted:

Yeah something like that I bet. Apple dramatically damaged Facebook's ad revenue by completely making its audience targeting useless, I'm sure Apple similarly has some leverage on Twitter even beyond just delisting it.

TulliusCicero
Jul 29, 2017

MrQwerty posted:

...He just...Tweeted it out...

We are watching a man post through a Nervous Break Down :munch:

Victory Lap
Feb 25, 2001
I mean, when one of the advertising platforms you use goes through massive changes it just makes sense to pause for a bit and see how things shake out? Likely a lot of the internal people at twitter that Apple folks dealt with aren't there anymore as well, making it tougher for them to get the info they want about whatever advertising people care about.

Elon trying to make a perfectly rational business decision by Apple seem nefarious but it's reaaaally hard to see it working out well... Do I advertise on this place, where I'll be personally called out every time I scale back my ad budget, or just do business with one of my many other options who don't threaten me?

Serious_Cyclone
Oct 25, 2017

I appreciate your patience, this is a tricky maneuver
The "I bring paradise" --> "Time to weed out the unfaithful" --> "iT's A cOnSpIrAcY" arc is so textbook cult behavior that it's almost underwhelming to watch Elon go through it in real time.

Hardcastlemccormik
Jul 19, 2022

MrQwerty posted:

Google almost always does the same thing, with a few exceptions. Hell I could see Google banning them first.

TulliusCicero
Jul 29, 2017

AHAHAHAHAHA :yeshaha:

Apple and Google don't give a poo poo about your polls Eloin

Stoatbringer
Sep 15, 2004

naw, you love it you little ho-bot :roboluv:

MrQwerty posted:

I'm sure the shareholders will love this new twist.

MrQwerty
Apr 15, 2003

LOVE IS BEAUTIFUL
(づ ̄ ³ ̄)づ♥(‘∀’●)

Posting through the beginning of the end of my monthlong, $44bn white supremacy experiment. Just harassing the poo poo out of people with way more actual influence and real power than me. Announcing to the world my business is gonna get b&. This is true power.

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

IShallRiseAgain posted:

lol at Elon provoking the company that could completely destroy twitter if it wanted to.

I don't think Apple will do anything because they don't want to be perceived as unstable, fragile ego-ed lunatics who put petty grievances and lack of understanding over their users' experiences.

But it'll be loving hilarious if they do.

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Im glad my instant dislike in you has been validated again and again.

TheOneAndOnlyT posted:

Yeah, my guess is that Elon's trying to get out in front of things by painting Apple as some horrible censor before they inevitably delist the Twitter app. Unfortunately, Twitter needs Apple wayyyyyy more than Apple needs Twitter. 🤣🤣🤣

I think apple called and told him to clean out the hardline nuts or they will delist and walk, if they do then way more big names will walk too. Lol.

Rigel
Nov 11, 2016

This paints Elon's dramatic proclamations last week of "look at how much hate speech is declining (because we ignore it so we don't see it), we are doing good!" in a different light. Elon probably didn't give even half a poo poo about moderation until Apple threatened him.

The Awesomesaurus
Feb 15, 2006

I'm too cool to be extinct.

lol if he breaks out his dumb Latin poo poo again.

repiv
Aug 13, 2009

elons replies have been flooded with this exact scam template since he took over and they still haven't got it under control

Hardcastlemccormik
Jul 19, 2022

Decon posted:

https://twitter.com/LBRYcom/status/1597293336184094720

Apparently one of their pings was for Pepe the Frog. A ban that went into place in 2017.

If Pepe the Frog is enough for Apple to drop an app, all they need to do is look at the CEO’s profile.

Hardcastlemccormik fucked around with this message at 19:45 on Nov 28, 2022

MrQwerty
Apr 15, 2003

LOVE IS BEAUTIFUL
(づ ̄ ³ ̄)づ♥(‘∀’●)

Random Stranger posted:

I don't think Apple will do anything because they don't want to be perceived as unstable, fragile ego-ed lunatics who put petty grievances and lack of understanding over their users' experiences.

They won't be? The rules of their store specifically say apps can't host the kind of content that Twitter has almost entirely turned into, which is why they are backchannel threatening him.
He was supposed to bend over and make moderation changes, not start making unhinged tweets at the CEO while announcing the app is on the chopping block.

TulliusCicero
Jul 29, 2017

Apple and Google de-listing is truly the beginning of the end

Just lmao

I was going to skip this thread for a week but I would have missed some quality lols

Oh, and if there is one thing companies love it is when you put private dealings into the public eye. They LOVE that!

BigglesSWE
Dec 2, 2014

Rigel posted:

This paints Elon's dramatic proclamations last week of "look at how much hate speech is declining (because we ignore it so we don't see it), we are doing good!" in a different light. Elon probably didn't give even half a poo poo about moderation until Apple threatened him.

You see free speech makes moderation illegal. That is why every mod on this forum is committing a felony every time someone posts in C-SPAM.

Rigel
Nov 11, 2016

Stoatbringer posted:

I'm sure the shareholders will love this new twist.

They'll look back fondly at the days when their debt was valued at 60 cents on the dollar. Maybe Prince Bonesaw should give Elon a call, he's about to lose him a lot of money.

sure okay
Apr 7, 2006

Tim Apple will not respond at all until it costs him 1 more dollar being silent than not silent, after which he will act immediately and with finality.

Hope to see it

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Im glad my instant dislike in you has been validated again and again.

Random Stranger posted:

Nah, it’s clear Twitter is going to poo poo and that apple would probably view pulling the plug as a lesser risk then staying on while the site becomes 8chan.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Steadiman
Jan 31, 2006

silly sevens
Twitter agreed to Apple's terms in order to use the appstore so I'm not really sure what he's so mad about if his app is breaking those terms (and the absolutely breathtaking influx of racism, threats, and hate is definitely something Apple frowns on). They're pretty clear about what is and isn't allowed and give quite a few chances for the app maker to make adjustments to comply. If Elon doesn't want to do that then that's kind of on Elon, not Apple.