Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
How many quarters after Q1 2016 till Marissa Mayer is unemployed?
1 or fewer
Her job is guaranteed; what are you even talking about?
View Results

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos
Won't somebody think of the high-net-worthed? :qq:

https://twitter.com/ZackBornstein/status/1596681739157786625

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

EMAIL... THE INTERNET... SEARCH ENGINES...

Main Paineframe posted:

I'm not inclined to be that charitable to the founder of Post. Here he is in early 2021 complaining about how Google's corporate culture was too politically correct and the employees were too entitled:

Incidentally, he spends another chunk of the article complaining about spending time on legal, policy, and privacy requirements - all things that are very important for social media sites.

Dude is techbros.txt

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Scholars are some of the most pompous and pedantic people I've ever had the joy of meeting.

Main Paineframe posted:

I'm not inclined to be that charitable to the founder of Post. Here he is in early 2021 complaining about how Google's corporate culture was too politically correct and the employees were too entitled:

Incidentally, he spends another chunk of the article complaining about spending time on legal, policy, and privacy requirements - all things that are very important for social media sites.

Oh boy a social media site founded by someone who still lives in a 90s techbro mindset. What a joy of a person he must be to work for.

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

*Israeli Government-affiliated poster
Elon having a normal one.

https://twitter.com/elonmusk/status/1597183438779342849
https://twitter.com/elonmusk/status/1597165510595989504

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Scholars are some of the most pompous and pedantic people I've ever had the joy of meeting.
Once again a big thank you to Grimes for shattering this rich shithead’s brain.

Owling Howl
Jul 17, 2019

Leon Trotsky 2012 posted:

Elon having a normal one.

Let's check in with his sycophants

"Washington Post posted:

Complete with what appear to be flames that shoot from the rocket, the statue was commissioned by the cryptocurrency company Elon GOAT Token. The company was delivering it to Tesla’s Gigafactory in Austin on Saturday, during what it dubbed “Goatsgiving.” The Elon GOAT Token ($EGT) sculpture was created to honor Musk’s “many accomplishments and commitment to Cryptocurrency,” the company said on its website.
It's a 12000 pound $600,000 piece of art.

The plan is
1) Deliver statue and get publicity
2) Musk nerd army buy the crypto causing a spike in valuation
3) Profit

In fairness
1) That might work
2) Musk didn't present to receive the statue leaving them camping out in a parking lot with a goat/Musk/rocket statue

Nenonen
Oct 22, 2009

Mulla on aina kolkyt donaa taskussa
I hope they'll run it under a low bridge.

ponzicar
Mar 17, 2008
It's like https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nathan_Bedford_Forrest_Statue but slightly more subtle with the bigotry.

Epic High Five
Jun 5, 2004

Nenonen posted:

I hope they'll run it under a low bridge.

Someone needs to change the gigafactory address to somewhere the route to which will have to pass under the 11-foot-8 bridge live feeds

Anno
May 10, 2017

I'm going to drown! For no reason at all!

Isn’t that a replica of the .357 revolver from the new Deus Ex games? Feels like there should probably be some commentary there somewhere.

NotJustANumber99
Feb 15, 2012

somehow that last av was even worse than your posting
he should get a cleaner

Mr. Grumpybones
Apr 18, 2002
"We're falling out of the sky! We're going down! We're a silver gleaming death machine!"
And coasters

DeathSandwich
Apr 24, 2008

I fucking hate puzzles.

Anno posted:

Isn’t that a replica of the .357 revolver from the new Deus Ex games? Feels like there should probably be some commentary there somewhere.

Could be. There's a lot of gun manufacturers and custom Fudd shops that make cheap lovely space-gun looking revolvers for cyberpunk nerds. I would of guessed this was like one of the larger Taurus revolvers with a custom wheel.

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

DeathSandwich posted:

I would of guessed this was like one of the larger Taurus revolvers with a custom wheel.

First thing I thought was "that's a piece of poo poo Taurus that somebody tarted up, isn't it?"

Perestroika
Apr 8, 2010

Anno posted:

It's seems to be specifically a replica of a Team Fortress 2 gun patterned after that Deux Ex gun: https://wiki.teamfortress.com/wiki/Diamondback. And not a particularly well-made one, either.

DeathSandwich
Apr 24, 2008

I fucking hate puzzles.

Perestroika posted:

It's seems to be specifically a replica of a Team Fortress 2 gun patterned after that Deux Ex gun: https://wiki.teamfortress.com/wiki/Diamondback. And not a particularly well-made one, either.

The diamondback is already basically a taurus with the serial numbers filled off. So basically:

Motronic posted:

First thing I thought was "that's a piece of poo poo Taurus that somebody tarted up, isn't it?"

:hfive:

OctaMurk
Jun 21, 2013

Anno posted:

Its also a sidearm in Crysis 2

PhazonLink
Jul 17, 2010
lol at game nerds rushing to post about the gun's id info.

also i think we're forgetting the important question is what aug upgrade path does Musk order Enrique to do?

cat botherer
Jan 6, 2022

I am interested in most phases of data processing.
Isn't that caffeine-free diet coke? I guess he gets enough stimulant from the white kind of coke.

DeathSandwich
Apr 24, 2008

I fucking hate puzzles.
Also something pointed out in the gbs musk thread that I didn't see initially - that gun has no trigger.

Neito
Feb 18, 2009

😌Finally, an avatar the describes my love of tech❤️‍💻, my love of anime💖🎎, and why I'll never see a real girl 🙆‍♀️naked😭.

PhazonLink posted:

also i think we're forgetting the important question is what aug upgrade path does Musk order Enrique to do?

Isn't there one where you can hack people to do poo poo for you?

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

DeathSandwich posted:

Also something pointed out in the gbs musk thread that I didn't see initially - that gun has no trigger.

It's paired with Neuralink so it could fire totally at random

Jaxyon
Mar 7, 2016
I’m just saying I would like to see a man beat a woman in a cage. Just to be sure.

PhazonLink posted:

lol and steadfastly ignoring the flintlock

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

Jaxyon posted:

lol and steadfastly ignoring the flintlock

A flintlock in a cheesy display box is certainly not a toy and is absolutely definitely a serious reproduction that will work flawlessly.

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

The whole picture is kind of amazing.

The flintlock pistol, the video game gun, the multiple cans of caffeine-free coke, and the half empty "premium" water bottle.

Also, Elon is apparently reading a book called "The 6 Pillars of Civility," which is about :

quote:

During times of stress, confusion, and resistance, this collection of short essays provides the reader with an opportunity for self-reflection. When we live in a state of fear, rational thinking is impossible. When we take some time for ourselves, we can reach a state of calmness, which allows clearer thinking and healing to occur. As we discover which areas of our lives are out of balance, we can begin to regain that balance through the simple self-reflective exercises following each chapter. We need to commit to this process regularly to live a more balanced life in a chaotic world. The common-sense messages contained within each essay reflect my personal experiences and can serve as reminders that we are not alone, that our feelings are both valid and essential, and that there is a path to a life filled with joy and grace.

And he installed a tiny mirror behind his nightstand for some reason.

I'm not sure what the weird gom jabbar replica in the bottom corner is supposed to be.

Edit: Apparently, the gom jabbar this is a replica of:

quote:

Vajra. The ultimate weapon made by the Hindi god Indradev, it was the most dangerous weapon ever made and it can destroy everything.

Leon Trotsky 2012 fucked around with this message at 20:49 on Nov 28, 2022

DeathSandwich
Apr 24, 2008

I fucking hate puzzles.

The whole picture is kind of amazing.

The flintlock pistol, the video game gun, the multiple cans of caffeine-free coke, and the half empty "premium" water bottle.

Also, Elon is apparently reading a book called "The 6 Pillars of Civility," which is about :

And he installed a tiny mirror behind his nightstand for some reason.

I'm not sure what the weird gom jabbar replica in the bottom corner is supposed to be.

It's like "divorced nerd man child" starter kit.

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

https://twitter.com/stokel/status/1597297390544859136

Jaxyon
Mar 7, 2016
I’m just saying I would like to see a man beat a woman in a cage. Just to be sure.
Absolutely LOL at twitter missing payroll like it's a mom and pop that's bout to go under.

MrNemo
Aug 26, 2010

"I just love beeting off"

From the sound of that it wasn't a case of but being able to pay employees due to lack of funds but some sort of automation failure. People were getting their salaries 1 at a time, likely manually. So it's really worse, Twitter had the money they had just fired the people who knew how to make the payments.

Leon Sumbitches
Mar 27, 2010

Dr. Leon Adoso Sumbitches (prounounced soom-'beh-cheh) (born January 21, 1935) is heir to the legendary Adoso family oil fortune.

Edit: Apparently, the gom jabbar this is a replica of a vajra

It's also a Tibetan Buddhist icon used as a teaching tool. My guess is that Grimes left it behind when she dumped him.

Tibalt
May 14, 2017

What, drawn, and talk of peace! I hate the word, As I hate hell, all Montagues, and thee

MrNemo posted:

From the sound of that it wasn't a case of but being able to pay employees due to lack of funds but some sort of automation failure. People were getting their salaries 1 at a time, likely manually. So it's really worse, Twitter had the money they had just fired the people who knew how to make the payments.
Maybe, but payroll should be pretty automatic for a company of this size - they shouldn't need manually cut checks for people.

I suspect that the be actual root cause is that funds weren't moved into the payroll account, which might indicate just disorganization, but I suspect indicates cash flow issues. If you've got an outstanding bill with Twitter, you might want to encourage payment sooner rather than later.

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

Tibalt posted:

Maybe, but payroll should be pretty automatic for a company of this size - they shouldn't need manually cut checks for people.

What? No to the the first part, and the second part has little to do with regular payroll.

Checks/ACH/EFT don't just "go out" on a schedule like your consumer bank account billpay for your rent and poo poo. Every payroll cycle requires multiple people to do multiple things.

blunt
Jul 7, 2005

Motronic posted:

What? No to the the first part, and the second part has little to do with regular payroll.

Checks/ACH/EFT don't just "go out" on a schedule like your consumer bank account billpay for your rent and poo poo. Every payroll cycle requires multiple people to do multiple things.

Is this one of those "banking is different in America compared to the rest of the world" situations?

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

The payroll software they used at a government job I used to have had a 2-week lag, but was set up to basically be automatic unless you manually entered changes to a specific employee ID number.

Tibalt
May 14, 2017

What, drawn, and talk of peace! I hate the word, As I hate hell, all Montagues, and thee

If you're company has someone manually doing payroll transactions, let me know so I can get a cut of the Workday commission.

Yiggy
Sep 12, 2004

"Imagination is not enough. You have to have knowledge too, and an experience of the oddity of life."

Symbol/tool for Tibetan Buddhism / vajrayana buddhism. The culturally ascendant form of Buddhism in the west that has cache due to the Dalai llama and the exiled Tibetan community. The big difference from other buddhisms being it takes ritual and magic shortcuts to achieve enlightenment. Could be a grimes memento. Though the shortcut to enlightenment thing probably has appeal to an impulsive person like Musk.

You know, part of your tech overlord kit next to your kitschy implements of death.

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

blunt posted:

Is this one of those "banking is different in America compared to the rest of the world" situations?

No, not at all. This has everything to do with generally accepted accounting practices and controls. poo poo like that isn't just set on automatic. That's monstrously irresponsible.

Maybe Workday/whatever does it, but this is not how things work in general. Paychex, etc don't just release payroll without any input form you. Because typically poo poo changes - someone gets married or divorced, changes elections, changes retirement poo poo, was out sick, was on PTO.........all of these things need to be accounted for in payroll.

I's about total compensation including sick and vacation time, not just sending out checks.

Mr. Fall Down Terror
Jan 24, 2018

by Fluffdaddy

blunt posted:

no, any organization of size is going to have a team managing people and their individual situations to make sure everyone's paycheck is correct when it arrives, or can be quickly mobilized to fix pay issues

the payment processing would be the relatively automated or outsourceable part, but one of the things HR/accounting handles is all the little edge cases which add up as your employee count rises

there's nowhere in the world where this process is automatic unless everyone gets exactly the same pay at exactly the same time with no variations for bonuses, sick time, expense adjustments, etc.

you especially want to make sure all this poo poo is correct ahead of time because employees will talk to each other about late/missing payroll and this can very rapidly snowball into a situation where your employees lose faith in your organization as a viable concern and head for the exits

e: the above advice applies to normal companies which aren't being actively deconstructed by a guy having the global scale divorce tantrum

Mr. Fall Down Terror fucked around with this message at 01:15 on Nov 29, 2022

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

AFAIK the entire payroll department hosed off over the 'hardcore pledge' thing. So there's some intern in there trying to figure out which buttons to push.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

duz
Jul 11, 2005

Come on Ilhan, lets go bag us a shitpost

Tibalt posted:

I suspect that the be actual root cause is that funds weren't moved into the payroll account, which might indicate just disorganization, but I suspect indicates cash flow issues. If you've got an outstanding bill with Twitter, you might want to encourage payment sooner rather than later.

Elon is already refusing to pay for any bills from before he bought the company because he wants to negotiate better deals.