Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

big cummers ONLY
Jul 17, 2005

I made a series of bad investments. Tarantula farm. The bottom fell out of the market.

What program do yall use to record game footage? I've never done it before but got a new comp and want to dabble.

E: I would put gameplay footage here to avoid a shameful snipe if I had any

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Edmond Dantes
Sep 12, 2007

Reactor: Online
Sensors: Online
Weapons: Online

ALL SYSTEMS NOMINAL
If you have an Nvidia card, just use Shadowplay, works great (source: I made like 3 LPs with it :v: )

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

big cummers ONLY posted:

What program do yall use to record game footage? I've never done it before but got a new comp and want to dabble.

E: I would put gameplay footage here to avoid a shameful snipe if I had any

OBS replay buffer

Exodee
Mar 30, 2011

Damp and depressing.
It must be a goon in its
natural habitat!
I've got a Radeon card and it has the same function, except it's called "Instant Replay".

deep dish peat moss
Jul 27, 2006

Exodee posted:

That's the actual Braced Autogun version I tried, I swear you're trying to gaslight me here.

But to put money where my mouth is, I've bought a Braced Autogun with high damage and stability and tested it against a bunch of other guns at around 25 meters: (which is quite reasonably short ranged given the typical engagements in this game)
https://i.imgur.com/XBOGzvP.mp4
Against specials it's similar or even worse for the bomber with their smaller hitbox.
I don't know how to record videos without going through a huge process to upload them to youtube and gently caress that, but you're comparing (1) taking your time lining up headshots against stationary enemies with two precision weapons to (2) trying to... do the same thing with an autoaim Smartgun SMG with huge fire rate. There's also an enormous difference in Rating between the Braced AG you're testing vs. the other two.

I was going to record a video of me wildly spinning my view around with a rapid fire bolter and killing nothing as evidence of how any gun is bad when you use it in a bad way :smith:

I do agree that the autogun feels bad in the "enemies don't move" hologram simulator but I use a 315 Rating MK2 Braced Autogun in 4* right now over ~430 rating options in other weapons because it's the only one that actually feels worthwhile. Everything else is worse than switching to melee and running in, in my experience. It has the mobility, the accuracy, autoaim to compensate for enemy movement, enough damage in 1 mag to take down 2 ragers + a scab, near-instant switching, near-instant reloading, enormous ammo efficiency, etc.

Cowcaster
Aug 7, 2002

i was going to say, isn't the point of the braced autoguns to magdump with reckless abandon

CuddleCryptid
Jan 11, 2013

Things could be going better

Re: crashing at end of round

https://twitter.com/DarktideComms/status/1597317757837934592?t=7IbR8s4ZvBpz3Rg7qMlmwg&s=19

This launch is going to be a complete shitshow and I'm here for it. Just what the gently caress guys

Exodee
Mar 30, 2011

Damp and depressing.
It must be a goon in its
natural habitat!

deep dish peat moss posted:

I don't know how to record videos without going through a huge process to upload them to youtube and gently caress that, but you're comparing (1) taking your time lining up headshots against stationary enemies with two precision weapons to (2) trying to... do the same thing with an autoaim Smartgun SMG with huge fire rate. There's also an enormous difference in Rating between the Braced AG you're testing vs. the other two.

I was going to record a video of me wildly spinning my view around with a rapid fire bolter and killing nothing as evidence of how any gun is bad when you use it in a bad way :smith:

I do agree that the autogun feels bad in the "enemies don't move" hologram simulator but I use a 315 Rating MK2 Braced Autogun in 4* right now over ~430 rating options in other weapons because it's the only one that actually feels worthwhile. Everything else is worse than switching to melee and running in, in my experience.
If I go full auto on the braced autogun then it's going to be even worse, even magdumping will leave the enemy still standing. Also the rating doesn't really matter much - I had a white lasgun XII at one point and it performs about the same on Heresy enemies, like the exact same amount of damage even.

Orv
May 4, 2011
This is why the braced Graia is best. Not damage wise, not in accuracy but in dakka.

explosivo
May 23, 2004

Fueled by Satan

CuddleCryptid posted:

https://twitter.com/DarktideComms/status/1597317757837934592?t=7IbR8s4ZvBpz3Rg7qMlmwg&s=19

This launch is going to be a complete shitshow and I'm here for it. Just what the gently caress guys

Oof.

deep dish peat moss
Jul 27, 2006

Frankly I am not sure what you are doing wrong as magdumping on my Mk2 braced is enough to kill 2-3 specials (it does not have any +%bonus to specials traits either)

e: It's worth noting that the MK2 braced literally seems to autoaim at enemies while firing full-auto.

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

CuddleCryptid posted:

simply:
lol

Sharkopath
May 27, 2009

Tenchrono posted:

Plasma gun for vet is cool but I am not sure how much more useful it is compared to the bolter. It reload slows and I can kill specials and elites just as fast with volley + bolter.

Plasma doesn't have the ready up time the bolter does which makes it better for quick popping dangerous specials, it has even higher total damage output which makes it better at killing ogryn, it has more ammo in its magazine so by taking damage to refresh heat you can suppress enemy range squads with way more consecutive normal shots than the bolter can, and the line pierce is genuinely like 50-60 feet long so you can take out any special or gunner or elite no matter how far behind a horde they are hiding, versus a bolter impacting and exploding immediately on first contact.

The Plasma also remembers where your reload is between 3 stages, so it can reready faster if something forces you to change.

At this point what the bolter does better is rapid fire at close range in a short burst, the aoe damage vs line damage, better enemy knockdown which is still huge and useful, and the total ammo pool is much larger than plasmas, a vet running plasma is very ammo hungry.

All in all I say plasma is better but requires more skill to use. Having messed around with both a lot.

Sharkopath fucked around with this message at 21:47 on Nov 28, 2022

Exodee
Mar 30, 2011

Damp and depressing.
It must be a goon in its
natural habitat!

Frankly I am not sure what you are doing wrong as magdumping on my Mk2 braced is enough to kill 2-3 specials (it does not have any +%bonus to specials traits either)

e: It's worth noting that the MK2 braced literally seems to autoaim at enemies while firing full-auto.
What traits do you have on yours then? Because if you have the "+8% damage against elite enemies trait" then that might explain it; that trait is bugged and does way more damage than it's supposed to.

Cowcaster
Aug 7, 2002

CuddleCryptid posted:

this is entirely what i expected from day 1 when they announced this open beta period and i still went and bought the game early anyway. i am the reason fatshark keeps getting away with it. i'm sorry.

Orv
May 4, 2011

Cowcaster posted:

this is entirely what i expected from day 1 when they announced this open beta period and i still went and bought the game early anyway. i am the reason fatshark keeps getting away with it. i'm sorry.

I’m hooked on this game in a way a L4D style game has never managed so thank you and all the other suckers for keeping Fatshark alive through their two bad rat games so I can play this bad zombie game.

big cummers ONLY
Jul 17, 2005

I made a series of bad investments. Tarantula farm. The bottom fell out of the market.

I love fatshark. What a great bug. It's very rare that you have a game this much fun to play that is also bugged to poo poo in hilarious ways. It's endearing

CuddleCryptid
Jan 11, 2013

Cowcaster posted:

If the game wasn't fun then that would be one thing, but a fun game that has all kinds of dumbass jank circles back around it being funny.

deep dish peat moss
Jul 27, 2006

Exodee posted:

What traits do you have on yours then? Because if you have the "+8% damage against elite enemies trait" then that might explain it; that trait is bugged and does way more damage than it's supposed to.

ok here's a video

https://i.imgur.com/OVogfAz.mp4
Putting in very minimal effort here, but 3x special kills per mag.
(Note how the reticle moves over them on its own, I don't even have to aim directly)

Here's a 422 rating Graia autogun with bonus special damage:
https://i.imgur.com/ZalPTaU.mp4

e: I didn't even have the +4% damage per hit zealot feat enabled for these.

deep dish peat moss fucked around with this message at 22:06 on Nov 28, 2022

Moose King
Nov 5, 2009

Kaldaris posted:

I can't solo queue for 3* missions anymore. There's so many level 5-10's that just blunder on blindly ahead, don't tag enemies, don't know what pushing is, and either abandon teammates that get jumped or get jumped themselves and die four hallways off. :shrug:

I feel like a ton of Tide series vets playing solo queue are all coming back to this exact realization around the same time. Any time I try a 3* mission it's exactly how you describe, meanwhile my 2* games are all level 10+ with maybe one new guy in the starter prison rags who all stick together, call specials out, and just generally smash their way through the level in 15 minutes.

Acebuckeye13
Nov 2, 2010
Probation
Can't post for 23 minutes!
Ultra Carp

Sharkopath posted:

Plasma doesn't have the ready up time the bolter does which makes it better for quick popping dangerous specials, it has even higher total damage output which makes it better at killing ogryn, it has more ammo in its magazine so by taking damage to refresh heat you can suppress enemy range squads with way more consecutive normal shots than the bolter can, and the line pierce is genuinely like 50-60 feet long so you can take out any special or gunner or elite no matter how far behind a horde they are hiding, versus a bolter impacting and exploding immediately on first contact.

The Plasma also remembers where your reload is between 3 stages, so it can reready faster if something forces you to change.

At this point what the bolter does better is rapid fire at close range in a short burst, the aoe damage vs line damage, better enemy knockdown which is still huge and useful, and the total ammo pool is much larger than plasmas, a vet running plasma is very ammo hungry.

All in all I say plasma is better but requires more skill to use. Having messed around with both a lot.

I just finally got a good plasma gun and it is really clicking with me in a way that the bolter does not. Being able to pull the plasma out and immediately fire is by itself a huge advantage over the boltgun imo.

Cowcaster
Aug 7, 2002

in the grim darkness of the far future there is only hamwar

big cummers ONLY
Jul 17, 2005

Moose King posted:

I feel like a ton of Tide series vets playing solo queue are all coming back to this exact realization around the same time. Any time I try a 3* mission it's exactly how you describe, meanwhile my 2* games are all level 10+ with maybe one new guy in the starter prison rags who all stick together, call specials out, and just generally smash their way through the level in 15 minutes.

I'm exclusively solo queue and while the players aren't good, I'm barely ever failing in 3*. Don't even need to clutch in most games.

ChickenHeart
Nov 28, 2007

Take me at your own risk.

Kiss From a Hog
imo pistols should come in pairs for maximum akimbo action, then the alt-fire to swap to a single sidearm for precision shots

Kaysette
Jan 5, 2009

~*Boston makes me*~
~*feel good*~

:wrongcity:

CuddleCryptid posted:

Amazing. I came here partly to complain about these crashes today but now I'm grinning???

Exodee
Mar 30, 2011

Damp and depressing.
It must be a goon in its
natural habitat!

ok here's a video

https://i.imgur.com/OVogfAz.mp4
Putting in very minimal effort here, but 3x special kills per mag.
Well yeah, it's really good close range which I never doubted. What I find lacking in that gun (which is what this was about from the start in case you forgot) is when you're stuck in medium ranged (25 meters) gunfights with a bunch of ranged troops on catwalks and poo poo, which happens quite commonly.

But anyways, here it is against specials at 25 meters and I'll concede it's a little bit better on full auto, though still unreliable:
https://i.imgur.com/9gkJgxy.mp4

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

Level 3 missions (malice) feel very reliable to me. You don't need a team of superstars to get through them, IMO.

Cowcaster
Aug 7, 2002

i've got about a 50-50 track record on level 3 missions so far but i've been playing them at level 9-12 and it sounds like that's too low? i'm operating on deep rock galactic's scale of "1-autopilot mode for children, 2-super easy, 3-normal, 4-hard but good, 5-forget about it"

explosivo
May 23, 2004

Fueled by Satan

My friends have frustratingly not all quite realized the importance of the coherency bonus despite my repeated attempts at reminding them and we've wiped on the last two Malice attempts we've done. :smith:

Phlegmish
Jul 2, 2011

This enemy decided to get stuck in an ammo locker

big cummers ONLY
Jul 17, 2005

Cowcaster posted:

i've got about a 50-50 track record on level 3 missions so far but i've been playing them at level 9-12 and it sounds like that's too low?

Its probably too low for someone ignoring all the mechanics but just by reading this thread I'm sure you're pulling your weight. Maybe it's different for different classes. Zealots get a good toughness regen talent right at level 5 so I was loving GOOD to GO

deep dish peat moss
Jul 27, 2006

Exodee posted:

Well yeah, it's really good close range which I never doubted. What I find lacking in that gun (which is what this was about from the start in case you forgot) is when you're stuck in medium ranged (25 meters) gunfights with a bunch of ranged troops on catwalks and poo poo, which happens quite commonly.

But anyways, here it is against specials at 25 meters and I'll concede it's a little bit better on full auto, though still unreliable:
https://i.imgur.com/9gkJgxy.mp4

There is nowhere in the game where you are forced into a long-distance gunfight, and ranged enemy AI (very intentionally and in a heavily telegraphed way) completely breaks down when you get close to them. I don't understand wanting to fight anything in this game from that kind of distance when everything about the game design funnels me into "sprint at them" as the best course of action. The only time ranged enemies are a problem in this game is when you try to fight them at range.

They literally put their guns away when you get within like 10 meters of them.
(edit: You can quickswap to melee to get them to swap to melee then quickswap back to gun and keep shooting)

e: I concede that there are weird one-off edge cases where a sniper has me pinned but I have +sniper resistance on every curio now for exactly that reason, plus snipers are extremely easy to dodge if you pay attention to the sound cues so if they're hitting me it's my own fault.

also regarding catwalks: just jump and melee them through the floor. Geometry doesn't block melee attacks in this game :getin:

deep dish peat moss fucked around with this message at 22:16 on Nov 28, 2022

Wipfmetz
Oct 12, 2007

Sitzen ein oder mehrere Wipfe in einer Lore, so kann man sie ueber den Rand der Lore hinausschauen sehen.

big cummers ONLY posted:

I love fatshark. What a great bug. It's very rare that you have a game this much fun to play that is also bugged to poo poo in hilarious ways. It's endearing
And that even happened without a clientside update.

Exodee
Mar 30, 2011

Damp and depressing.
It must be a goon in its
natural habitat!
I think the matchmaker puts similary levelled players on your team as well, so you start getting better teammates as you level up. Even Heresy is starting to feel a bit easy for me now that I'm level 30, since I'm getting fairly reliable teammates.

edit:

There is nowhere in the game where you are forced into a long-distance gunfight, and ranged enemy AI (very intentionally and in a heavily telegraphed way) completely breaks down when you get close to them. I don't understand wanting to fight anything in this game from that kind of distance when everything about the game design funnels me into "sprint at them" as the best course of action. The only time ranged enemies are a problem in this game is when you try to fight them at range.

They literally put their guns away when you get within like 10 meters of them.
Yeah exactly, and that's why I don't like the braced autogun that much - if I'm in range where it's good, I'm also in range to just whip out my Eviscerator and go to town.

Exodee fucked around with this message at 22:16 on Nov 28, 2022

CuddleCryptid
Jan 11, 2013

Internet Explorer posted:

Level 3 missions (malice) feel very reliable to me. You don't need a team of superstars to get through them, IMO.

Yeah they're very doable so long as the people you're playing with have halfway decent weapons and know how to handle specials. Level 3 is the top of the difficulty curve for four people playing the game in proximity of each other rather than working as a team, so long as you don't hog the resources and pick up your teammates when they drop you can contribute all you need to by hacking and slashing your heart out.

Moose King
Nov 5, 2009

big cummers ONLY posted:

I'm exclusively solo queue and while the players aren't good, I'm barely ever failing in 3*. Don't even need to clutch in most games.

To be fair I'm playing Psyker and I only just recently got a lightning staff and force sword so maybe I was the undergeared newbie after all

Propaganda Hour
Aug 25, 2008

after editing wikipedia as a joke for 16 years, i ve convinced myself that homer simpson's japanese name translates to the "The beer goblin"

CuddleCryptid posted:

Hahahah yesss. I loving love Fatshark

deep dish peat moss
Jul 27, 2006

Exodee posted:

I think the matchmaker puts similary levelled players on your team as well, so you start getting better teammates as you level up. Even Heresy is starting to feel a bit easy for me now that I'm level 30, since I'm getting fairly reliable teammates.

edit:

Yeah exactly, and that's why I don't like the braced autogun that much - if I'm in range where it's good, I'm also in range to just whip out my Eviscerator and go to town.

Personally I swap from Eviscerator to Braced AG to take down specials - particularly on 4* the Eviscerator starts having a lot of problems with even flak armored specials in my experience and I need a quick swap to delete those. None of the other ranged zealot weapons fill that niche because they all take so long to swap to and reload.

But I think it's cool that this game supports so many different playstyles, people have been arguing viability of different weapons since the start but it seems like at least someone out there has been able to take any of the weapons and turn them into a powerhouse just by using them right, and that's rad. My only experiences with lasguns and infantry AGs have had me feeling like they were just plain bad, because they just don't jive with the way I use guns in this game, and I can see the same being true of the braced AG on the other end of the spectrum.

Abroham Lincoln
Sep 19, 2011

Note to self: This one's the good one

hey isn't there supposed to be a patch tod

you know what nevermind take your time there fatshark

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Exodee
Mar 30, 2011

Damp and depressing.
It must be a goon in its
natural habitat!

Personally I swap from Eviscerator to Braced AG to take down specials - particularly on 4* the Eviscerator starts having a lot of problems with even flak armored specials in my experience and I need a quick swap to delete those. None of the other ranged zealot weapons fill that niche because they all take so long to swap to and reload.

But I think it's cool that this game supports so many different playstyles, people have been arguing viability of different weapons since the start but it seems like at least someone out there has been able to take any of the weapons and turn them into a powerhouse just by using them right, and that's rad.
Yeah that's true. I'll also concede that I'm fully abusing the bugged +damage against elites trait, which makes using the Eviscerator a lot smoother even when there's a bunch of Ragers in the mix. (Although personally I feel like it's quite balanced even with that trait)