Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

I got the tude now
Jul 22, 2007

symbolic posted:

im endorsing Trump 2024 now

Sick

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

That Little Demon
Dec 3, 2020
the SNES version of 3 is truly beautiful. I just woke up the sleeping town and it has some unique mode 7 quasi 3d parts.

Punished Chuck
Dec 27, 2010

Man 8 is kind of a jump in difficulty, I didn’t have a single party wipe in 7 but I managed it on the first boss of 8, and the boss I just beat before going to bed last night critted frequently for 85 HP when I’ve got one character with a max HP of 90 and one with a max HP of 80. Maybe it’s because without a job system like 6 and 7 I just haven’t been obsessively grinding like I did in those games but it’s really keeping me on my toes

rodbeard
Jul 21, 2005

Started playing Dragon Quest Builders last night and ended up staying up until 330 in the morning.

Plebian Parasite
Oct 12, 2012

rodbeard posted:

Started playing Dragon Quest Builders last night and ended up staying up until 330 in the morning.

it's so loving good

Bonaventure
Jun 23, 2005

by sebmojo

Chuck Buried Treasure posted:

Man 8 is kind of a jump in difficulty, I didn’t have a single party wipe in 7 but I managed it on the first boss of 8, and the boss I just beat before going to bed last night critted frequently for 85 HP when I’ve got one character with a max HP of 90 and one with a max HP of 80. Maybe it’s because without a job system like 6 and 7 I just haven’t been obsessively grinding like I did in those games but it’s really keeping me on my toes

the first time I played 8 there was a boss fight I found so difficult that I took half a year break before continuing the story because I was so worn out

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

It's got a harder start bc of how long it takes to get the full team but you'll get godly in time

mysterious loyall X
Jul 8, 2003

The first boss is the only real hard one because u dont really have any spells or skills. I guess theres a couple later that can be a little tuff. I guess you can also make the game harder on yourself by idk dumping everyones points into fisticuffs

Arch Nemesis
Mar 27, 2007

I wiped on the last boss of DQ2 twice last night. Just finally realized this morning that you can use the power shield in battle as an item to fullheal yourself for free. That's a huge game changer and also makes me feel like I've been playing on hard mode for quite a while

extremebuff
Jun 20, 2010

do we think the III remake is just gonna be raw DQ3 but pretty?

i hope they dont touch anything because its aged so well. the final dungeon had some absolute bastard enemies in it but thats a dq staple.

P-Mack
Nov 10, 2007

extremebuff posted:

do we think the III remake is just gonna be raw DQ3 but pretty?

i hope they dont touch anything because its aged so well. the final dungeon had some absolute bastard enemies in it but thats a dq staple.

the only thing i think might be nice is some kind of shared exp system- it has the whole mechanic with making new party members at any time but realistically you usually aren't gonna want to go back and level a new teammate up from 1.

Arch Nemesis
Mar 27, 2007

Just finished DQ2. Very cool to see how far the series came in just a short time, really looking forward to playing the rest of the series. I'm planning to try to finish some other games first before picking up 3 but I wasn't able to resist starting this one so we'll see. Probably switch to SNES for that one.

Game had some amazing moments. Fondest one is still landing in Alefgard and hearing that DQ1 music again. As others have said, it drags a bit towards the end, and I wish there was more to distinguish the characters a bit. The prince of Cannock ended up just feeling like he was filling space, especially towards the end. The cave dungeon on the way to Rendarak was a bitch and a half. I almost cleared it on my first attempt, somehow only falling through the floor in the maze room once but ran out of mana. Second time through I think I fell through the floor in 15 new places.

I'm enjoying the victory laps. They're cute.

Also lol that everyone seems to know that the prince of Cannock sucks, family included

Good soup!
Nov 2, 2010

I found the fight with Dhoulmagus was just brutal at times but I'm guessing I'm just under leveled everytime I make it to him. I know that's not super late in the game or anything but he just gets so many drat turns

welcome
Jun 28, 2002

rail slut

Evil Eagle posted:

he's such a joke that I think I just found official art of him in a coffin lol

Lol

welcome
Jun 28, 2002

rail slut
S+: 3, 4, 5
S: 7, 8, 11
A: 2
B: 1, 6

Fungah!
Apr 30, 2011

welcome posted:

A: 2
B: 1

:magemage:

welcome
Jun 28, 2002

rail slut
2 kicks rear end!

tmfc
Sep 28, 2006

referring to the dragon quest games only by number, like how guidos refer to the godfather films, ftw

tmfc
Sep 28, 2006

2 is great but c'mon, 1 is an all-time classic, hard to top

That Little Demon
Dec 3, 2020
no one in my party can use the loving golden claw!

Wormskull
Aug 23, 2009

Hype that you can just hold down A in battles.

P-Mack
Nov 10, 2007

Going back to 7 to finally finish it, years after I got burnt out in Chapter 3. Maribel ftw.

P-Mack
Nov 10, 2007

Lol I looked it up and I have literally two dungeons left. Could have kept pushing

That Little Demon
Dec 3, 2020

I got the tude now
Jul 22, 2007

Lol

extremebuff
Jun 20, 2010

----------------
This thread brought to you by a tremendous dickhead!

Fungah!
Apr 30, 2011

lol

Pablo Nergigante
Apr 16, 2002

Lunchmeat Larry
Nov 3, 2012

Sub-Actuality
Apr 17, 2007

lol

extremebuff
Jun 20, 2010

P-Mack posted:

the only thing i think might be nice is some kind of shared exp system- it has the whole mechanic with making new party members at any time but realistically you usually aren't gonna want to go back and level a new teammate up from 1.

im proud I got my monk+priest+mage squad thru the whole game without needing to switch. the SAGE mechanic is cool, making you work to earn that omni mage slot

the game is a lot rougher than modern DQ and not afraid to wipe your party. mimics arent neat minibosses that drop good loot they are just a trap designed to deliver you a game over lol. its little things like this I wonder if theyll keep in tact, or reserve for a 'classic' mode or something

----------------
This thread brought to you by a tremendous dickhead!

EpicCareMadBitch
Dec 20, 2008

herculon
Sep 7, 2018

Lol

Evil Eagle
Nov 5, 2009

Friggin mushrooms killed my wizard right next to the last chest in the Dream Ruby cave so I couldn't cast Outside, just barely made it out lol

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

Evil Eagle posted:

Friggin mushrooms killed my wizard right next to the last chest in the Dream Ruby cave so I couldn't cast Outside, just barely made it out lol

Incredible journey

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

the class system in IX is really robust and I'm excited to build my team. However the unlock quests for new jobs can suck my nutsack.

Fungah!
Apr 30, 2011

most unforgivable sin of th phone port of 2, you dont hit your head if you zoom in a building

Sub-Actuality
Apr 17, 2007

Fungah! posted:

most unforgivable sin of th phone port of 2, you dont hit your head if you zoom in a building

what the gently caress

Arch Nemesis
Mar 27, 2007

Fungah! posted:

You can zoom out of like, houses in town but you still hit your head if you zoom in a dungeon. Assuming they didn't put it back for the Switch version.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

That Little Demon
Dec 3, 2020
holy gently caress... the hotto theme from 12 is Zipangu from 3 lol... goddamn I love DQ.... and now it all makes even more sense. Hori FTMFW

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ggxDKZdbf7E&t=2s

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3ioF8fJUzq4

it sounds so loving good in all versions!!!