Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

No Dignity
Oct 15, 2007

ThatWhiteGuy posted:

I’m sure this question has been asked a thousand times, but is there a good guide out there for early game armor sets? Elden Ring is the first From game
I’ve sunk time into and I’m having a great time with it so far, but I think I’ve reached a point where the armor I’ve scrounged together in Limgrave isn’t going to cut it anymore.

I’ve gotten through Stormveil and I’m exploring the lake area north of the castle, but just got wrecked by a dragon in the middle of the lake. I haven’t quite figured out what kind of build I’m going for, but I think I’m going to focus on Int and Strength. I’m level 42 now and was spreading my stats around pretty evenly, but my buddy told me that’s a bad idea so I’m starting to focus on just those two. Any tips are super appreciated!

If you want a decently bulky plate set the Knight set from the Roundtable Hold is a good starting point until you can find something with more flair

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

Why don't you perform zazen, facing a wall?
Most good armor is later in the game. Dragons will probably wreck you no matter what you wear also, you should avoid their breath attacks with the horse rather than try to take them on the chin.

BigDumper
Feb 15, 2008

No Dignity posted:

If you want a decently bulky plate set the Knight set from the Roundtable Hold is a good starting point until you can find something with more flair

Thanks! I’ll check that out, I went to the Roundtable Hold once but never went back.

No Dignity
Oct 15, 2007

But also one of your best sources of not dying is having lots of HP so don't sleep on your vigor stat either!

Epic High Five
Jun 5, 2004

You'll also get a lot more mileage from vigor up until about 30 or so than damage stats, at your level especially damage is going to be determined almost entirely by your weapon upgrade level

Last Celebration
Mar 30, 2010
Yeah, if you’re taking too much damage better armor can be nice, but that’s if it’s not gonna bump you down to Heavy Roll status where you just kinda do a sad pathetic attempt at a roll instead of the one that you can use to I-frame through moves. HP is generally a much better use of levels in that regard than endurance unless armor fits your playstyle in an offensive sense, like if you’re swing big weapons or trying to get enough poise to guard counter attacks and siphon the life back with that one talisman after the critical hit.

Catgirl Al Capone
Dec 15, 2007

ThatWhiteGuy posted:

I’m sure this question has been asked a thousand times, but is there a good guide out there for early game armor sets? Elden Ring is the first From game
I’ve sunk time into and I’m having a great time with it so far, but I think I’ve reached a point where the armor I’ve scrounged together in Limgrave isn’t going to cut it anymore.

I’ve gotten through Stormveil and I’m exploring the lake area north of the castle, but just got wrecked by a dragon in the middle of the lake. I haven’t quite figured out what kind of build I’m going for, but I think I’m going to focus on Int and Strength. I’m level 42 now and was spreading my stats around pretty evenly, but my buddy told me that’s a bad idea so I’m starting to focus on just those two. Any tips are super appreciated!

armor doesn't really get obsoleted as such, they've all got different weight classes, resistances, and poise. it's a matter of considering the tradeoffs between resisting specific sources of damage marginally better, having longer distance rolls, being able to take hits without flinching, and being able to accommodate heavy weapons and shields without being too heavy to effectively dodge, among other considerations (the most important being style).

BigDumper
Feb 15, 2008

I’ve also been hoarding smith stones, it’s probably time to start using them. My main weapon so far has been the Bloodhound’s Fang, but I’ve only upgraded it twice. There’s a good chance I’ve nerfed my damage output because I keep thinking that I’ll find a better weapon that I’ll need to upgrade.

Gort
Aug 18, 2003

Good day what ho cup of tea

ThatWhiteGuy posted:

I’ve also been hoarding smith stones, it’s probably time to start using them. My main weapon so far has been the Bloodhound’s Fang, but I’ve only upgraded it twice. There’s a good chance I’ve nerfed my damage output because I keep thinking that I’ll find a better weapon that I’ll need to upgrade.

Yeah, just spend the smith stones as you get them on whatever you happen to be using at the moment. A +25 garbage sword you found in a bin is going to be much better than a +2 Sword of Gods, and low-level smith stones are trivial to get later in the game.

MasterBuilder
Sep 30, 2008
Oven Wrangler
I've been out of the loop since I finished my runs at release but did they make the early game easier or this the halberd a beast? I've never been able to kill the golden knight without summons or waiting until I was leveled but I got him down in 5 tries or so. And every other enemy just gets chain mini stunned.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012
The Carian Knight Set is a very good earlygame set of armour. It's found in the Academy of Raya Lucaria (the main legacy dungeon in Liurnia of the Lakes) and has an excellent balance of poise, resistances, and weight while looking extremely classy. The next upgrade from there if you want to stick with full plate is the Gelmir Knight Set, found in the Mt. Gelmir Hero's Grave.

Generally, though, your survivability derives more from your stats than from your armour, which is why Vigour should always be one of the main stats you level (alongside Endurance and whatever your main offensive stats are).

Analytic Engine
May 18, 2009

not the analytical engine

Lethemonster posted:

I'm not sure how to phrase my question. Has the game settled on a level for general coop? I remember when I played a previous game I was told to stick around level 120 (I think it was bloodborne?) and that kept me busy.

I'm level 126 in Elden Ring and it's taking surprisingly long to get any summons even using the near/far summoning pool option. I want to sit around and help people kill bosses.

This game has the worst online of any souls game, even past-its-prime Bloodborne. The huge map and nonlinear progression is awesome for single player but completely destroyed my enjoyment of MP. Waiting time frustration is super nonlinear, and I got sick of guessing which grace might have more interested people.

That said, when it works it works *great*. The sentinel fight outside Lyndell is incredibly fun when you summon a PC & Tragoth because it guarantees an invader. Fight recklessly and it's going to be a close competition between teams

Sindai
Jan 24, 2007
i want to achieve immortality through not dying
I would bet it's not the world's fault (far summoning took care of that), and more that spirit ashes are enough for most people who would be summoning to beat most fights.

Sindai fucked around with this message at 20:17 on Nov 28, 2022

Phenotype
Jul 24, 2007

You must defeat Sheng Long to stand a chance.

Darth Walrus posted:

The Carian Knight Set is a very good earlygame set of armour. It's found in the Academy of Raya Lucaria (the main legacy dungeon in Liurnia of the Lakes) and has an excellent balance of poise, resistances, and weight while looking extremely classy. The next upgrade from there if you want to stick with full plate is the Gelmir Knight Set, found in the Mt. Gelmir Hero's Grave.

Generally, though, your survivability derives more from your stats than from your armour, which is why Vigour should always be one of the main stats you level (alongside Endurance and whatever your main offensive stats are).

The Carian Knight set is good for resistances but lacks poise and defense IIRC compared to similar weighted armor. And the Gelmir Knight set is conveniently all in one place (if you can call "inside a horrible dungeon" convenient) but it's got the same stats as the gear that drops off of all the other knights, so if you want something that heavy you can get the Godrick Knight versions much earlier.

War Wizard
Jan 4, 2007

:)

Analytic Engine posted:

This game has the worst online of any souls game, even past-its-prime Bloodborne. The huge map and nonlinear progression is awesome for single player but completely destroyed my enjoyment of MP. Waiting time frustration is super nonlinear, and I got sick of guessing which grace might have more interested people.

Use the banana crucifix to mass lay down summon signs across the whole world then? You're gonna have a bad time picking a random grace to be at considering the massive level range anyone can be at at any point in the game. Once some DLC comes out I'm sure the player count will rocket back up as well.

Earwicker
Jan 6, 2003

Sindai posted:

I would bet it's not the world's fault (far summoning took care of that), and more that spirit ashes are enough for most people who would be summoning to beat most fights.

yeah, the mimic is just as good as most rando co-op people in my experience, but i still summon because i enjoy the variety

personally i thought bloodborne had the most fun co-op experience of all the souls games, and it seemed a lot more reliable for a longer period of time than the others

as for elden ring's world, i am pretty sure that the grace in the main entry of raya lucaria is the unofficial "main" location for pvp dueling but i dont know if there are any particular associations with other areas. you can show activity on the map but it doesnt really seem to correspond with more summons showing up

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

Phenotype posted:

The Carian Knight set is good for resistances but lacks poise and defense IIRC compared to similar weighted armor. And the Gelmir Knight set is conveniently all in one place (if you can call "inside a horrible dungeon" convenient) but it's got the same stats as the gear that drops off of all the other knights, so if you want something that heavy you can get the Godrick Knight versions much earlier.

Does it? Seemed to me that the Gelmir set has better all-around stats than most lordsworn knight armour.

No Dignity
Oct 15, 2007

I think all of the elite knight sets more or less break even, they just shuffle a few points of different defenses and poise around but basically function the same

Nihilarian
Oct 2, 2013

I loved watching the Mimic Tear run around blasting all the spells I never used because i just used basic spells 98% of the time (the 2% was meteorite)

Analytic Engine
May 18, 2009

not the analytical engine

War Wizard posted:

Use the banana crucifix to mass lay down summon signs across the whole world then? You're gonna have a bad time picking a random grace to be at considering the massive level range anyone can be at at any point in the game. Once some DLC comes out I'm sure the player count will rocket back up as well.

True that you can eventually summon somewhere, but I want to do what every other game supported and practice against a specific boss or help people through an area I found hard

Paracelsus
Apr 6, 2009

bless this post ~kya

Earwicker posted:

yeah, the mimic is just as good as most rando co-op people in my experience, but i still summon because i enjoy the variety

Mimic is probably better than most humans, since it can face-tank massive amounts of damage rather than just dying to one badly judged attack, it doesn't inflate the boss's stats, and its strategy is coordinated with yours.

I'm shameless about using spirit ashes. Try the greatshield crew against Godfrey's golden ghost some time, they completely lock him down.

Jay Rust
Sep 27, 2011

The legless turret lady solo'd the fire giant for me (well I had to keep his attention)

Mustached Demon
Nov 12, 2016

Banished knight set is good if you've got the endurance to not fat roll. Just don't wear the pants since they look like you have duck shoes on. Few good places to farm knights.

Darth Nat
Aug 24, 2007

It all comes out right in the end.
It's insane that you can only get the unaltered Banished Knight chest piece from one enemy in a late game area.

Jay Rust
Sep 27, 2011

Yeah idk why some armours are off limits for our good boy Bok

turn off the TV
Aug 4, 2010

moderately annoying

Darth Nat posted:

It's insane that you can only get the unaltered Banished Knight chest piece from one enemy in a late game area.

and you can't even alter it to prevent it from clipping with its own helmet

turn off the TV fucked around with this message at 01:18 on Nov 29, 2022

UnbearablyBlight
Nov 4, 2009

hello i am your heart how nice to meet you

MasterBuilder posted:

I've been out of the loop since I finished my runs at release but did they make the early game easier or this the halberd a beast? I've never been able to kill the golden knight without summons or waiting until I was leveled but I got him down in 5 tries or so. And every other enemy just gets chain mini stunned.

The halberd is good and the vagabond class starts with more hp than the other classes, which makes a big difference. They released a patch that made all weapons do more poise damage, so in a way the early game did get easier, but also if this is your second or third run you probably just got better.

MasterBuilder
Sep 30, 2008
Oven Wrangler

Esme posted:

The halberd is good and the vagabond class starts with more hp than the other classes, which makes a big difference. They released a patch that made all weapons do more poise damage, so in a way the early game did get easier, but also if this is your second or third run you probably just got better.

I see, but based on my recent dark souls replay I do not get better from experience. Obligatory gently caress o&s.

Mustached Demon
Nov 12, 2016

Darth Nat posted:

Two isn't it? The halberd ghost with the wolves and the dual wielding murder ghost. I would not suggest farming the murder ghost.

Mazerunner
Apr 22, 2010

Good Hunter, what... what is this post?
I like to summon poop lad to tank while I charge my kamehameha

War Wizard
Jan 4, 2007

:)

Mazerunner posted:

A sound stratagem.

Gearhead
Feb 13, 2007
The Metroid of Humor

Mazerunner posted:

I am a complete noob at this game, I think that I'd be lost without The Legendary Sword of Night and Flame.

Buschmaki
Dec 26, 2012

‿︵‿︵‿︵‿Lean Addict︵‿︵‿︵‿
The DLC will, god-willing, add a zone with covenant auto-invasions and revitalize pvp

UnbearablyBlight
Nov 4, 2009

hello i am your heart how nice to meet you

Buschmaki posted:

The DLC will, god-willing, add a zone with covenant auto-invasions and revitalize pvp

That and add a fifth player slot, Miyazaki please. Leave the PS4 peasants behind if you must.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012
Man, my samurai run has had its ups and downs, but me, Bernahl, and my poop puppet completely dumpstered the Godskin Duo. Slashing damage and bleed buildup just annihilate them.

CAPT. Rainbowbeard
Apr 5, 2012

My incredible goodposting transcends time and space but still it cannot transform the xbone into a good console.
Lipstick Apathy
Two great tastes that taste great together soon! Elden Ring and... smooth jazz.

https://eldenringlive.com

WoodrowSkillson
Feb 24, 2005

*Gestures at 60 years of Lions history*

War Wizard posted:

a simple matchmaking system would fix all of this and From's stubborn refusal to do it continues to irk me. Just put in a menu where players put in a request for help on a boss, and let everyone see it.

Buschmaki
Dec 26, 2012

‿︵‿︵‿︵‿Lean Addict︵‿︵‿︵‿
It seems shitloads of people just unplug their router when they get invaded now lmao

Jay Rust
Sep 27, 2011

? And lose their co-op partner?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Glimpse
Jun 5, 2011

My internet is sometimes kind of spotty and whenever I’ve lost my connection I’ve got booted back to the menu screen.