Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

TotalHell
Feb 22, 2005

Roman Reigns fights CM Punk in fantasy warld. Lotsa violins, so littl kids cant red it.

I brought my Drake posted:

More people need to be posting that 7th edition greed art in response. Much as I love the Izzy art, it's not so much somebody barfing up gold as it is the western paladin reclining on a gigantic pile of gold airing out his junk.

I’m leaning toward that Foglio “guy hoarding as many coins as he can fit in front of him but eyeing another coin that he wants”

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kashuno
Oct 9, 2012

Where the hell is my SWORD?
Grimey Drawer

I brought my Drake posted:

More people need to be posting that 7th edition greed art in response. Much as I love the Izzy art, it's not so much somebody barfing up gold as it is the western paladin reclining on a gigantic pile of gold airing out his junk.

the one reply with Pot of Greed that was like 'since you're going to yugioh influencers now' was perfect

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

Black summer was the best summer.

mcmagic posted:

It would be amazing if zero sold lol

MTG finance weirdos won't be able to help themselves on the "investment". The 1k pricetag is the only limiting factor for that types. Their brainworms won't allow anything else.

FTX will do more to curb mtg30 sales than self control will.

Fuzzy Mammal
Aug 15, 2001

Lipstick Apathy
I know we all know it's effectively breaking the reserved list but just to be clear the reprint policy actually only ever applied to 'tournament legal' cards so these not having the magic back is their loophole.

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!

Sickening posted:

FTX will do more to curb mtg30 sales than self control will.

lol thanks LR!

Aniodia
Feb 23, 2016

Literally who?

First off, :aloom: at how much people hated the M30 poo poo.

Secondly, there's been a decent amount of cube talk scattered over the past few pages, and I've been kinda interested in getting one set up at some point. The more I think about it, though, the more I realize I know next to nothing about how to actually go about getting one set up. I know that the concept is taking a bunch of cards, sorting them into "packs" of 15 cards, and drafting with those. At the same time, though, that's pretty much all I know, outside of knowing that's not enough. Even simple poo poo like how many cards to put into the cube as a whole, should I keep basic lands on the side or slot it in like regular packs, simple introductory poo poo that would be nice to know, I'm clueless on. Long and short of it, is there a resource (youtube videos, websites, etc) that can hold my hand and walk me through babby's first cube, with hopefully more than just "copy this cube list and go", but provide actual cube construction theory and methodology to be used when trying to make a cube myself?

odiv
Jan 12, 2003

Aniodia posted:

Long and short of it, is there a resource (youtube videos, websites, etc) that can hold my hand and walk me through babby's first cube, with hopefully more than just "copy this cube list and go", but provide actual cube construction theory and methodology to be used when trying to make a cube myself?
Here's an article on Wizards' site.
https://magic.wizards.com/en/news/feature/building-your-first-cube-2016-05-19
There's probably better out since, but start off with 360 singleton imo, not including basic lands.

You don't sort them into packs of 15. You shuffle them in packs of 15 later on before you draft or do sealed or whatever. Yes, you keep the basic lands separate.

Oh right, and there's a cube thread:
https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3560252

odiv fucked around with this message at 21:13 on Nov 28, 2022

ilmucche
Mar 16, 2016

What did you say the strategy was?
The cube I drafted had 450 so that some of the cards seen would change every time. Don't put basic lands in, nobody will draft them since you add them in deckbuilding anyway

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

Silhouette posted:

To be fair, we don't hate everything about it, every sane mtg fan is thrilled at the soft breaking of the reserve list but appalled at everything else :v:

Yeah I would totally buy a pack of 30th anniversary edition for $7

Edit: and I mean this as a person who doesn't really buy magic cards. If the 30th anniversary cards had a normal price I would have bought a case or two to draft for nostalgia sake. I always wanted a ForceField and Gauntlet of Might and Time Vault. I started playing Magic during revised edition :argh:

Rutibex fucked around with this message at 21:26 on Nov 28, 2022

Eej
Jun 17, 2007

HEAVYARMS
drat they just left Billions on the table...

https://twitter.com/horizonpoint23/status/1597286811801640960

Fuzzy Mammal
Aug 15, 2001

Lipstick Apathy
Cubetutor.com has shut down but I think cubecobra.com has taken up the mantle. There should be articles on all sorts of things including the basics.

My tips for a great cube: Don't be a slave to the 1-of rule. Esp for things like fetches which are universally useful. Or have rules like if you draft a squadron hawk you actually get 4 of them, etc.

Strong Sauce
Jul 2, 2003

You know I am not really your father.

Fuzzy Mammal posted:

I know we all know it's effectively breaking the reserved list but just to be clear the reprint policy actually only ever applied to 'tournament legal' cards so these not having the magic back is their loophole.

Nah Maro said on his blog that they would never reprint it regardless of backs. Obviously corporate has decided that's not the case.

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy
I don't think the reserve list is any kind of enforceable contract, I doubt any black lotus owners would be able to sue

generatrix
Aug 8, 2008

Nothing hurts like a scrape

I only saw one person in that thread saying they bought it… they also had an NFT avatar and had paid for a checkmark.

Aniodia
Feb 23, 2016

Literally who?

Cool, thanks for the info and links. Looks like I have some reading to do.

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!

Huh? Is 99 bucks a pack all that much better than 250 a pack?

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

mcmagic posted:

Huh? Is 99 bucks a pack all that much better than 250 a pack?

I think he is saying $100 for a case of 12 packs. Which would be just about where I would have bought a poo poo load

Eej
Jun 17, 2007

HEAVYARMS
Greed is bad, I say to a megacorp as I advise them on how to best fleece people out of Billions on cardboard

Serf
May 5, 2011

For $99 you'd have to sweeten the pot in some way to get me to even think about buying one. Alpha cards largely sucked anyways, do a special 30 years of Magic product that is the countdown kit on steroids. Random boosters filled with the most iconic cards from all 30 years or something. Tournament legal too, because lol at buying anything from WotC that you can't put into a deck and play at a sanctioned event.

LifeLynx
Feb 27, 2001

Dang so this is like looking over his shoulder in real-time
Grimey Drawer
Ironically it'll be the stores that do well on this, since every store is getting one. Everyone here knows that one whale at their LGS who will buy it for a "deal" if it's shoved in front of them. Or four who'll buy a pack for $200ish each.

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

Rutibex posted:

I don't think the reserve list is any kind of enforceable contract, I doubt any black lotus owners would be able to sue

There are a bunch of internet would-be lawyer magic commenters who are 100% certain that this is a legally binding contract and can quote various legal principles for a suit. I am very skeptical but I am not a lawyer so I can't really say with certainty that they're all totally wrong. I think a suit, especially a class-action suit, is very unlikely because I don't think Wizards is altruistic enough to just totally repudiate the reserve list and start printing all those cards in a tournament-legal form, ever. They know that FOMO and an investor/speculator mentality accounts for a lot of the collecting of cards that their huge customer base engages in, and intentionally and flagrantly undermining that by driving down the value of the most valuable cards would risk killing off the appetite for new collectible and rare cards.

This is why I don't think speculating about it is especially worthwhile. The company has no incentive to completely break the promise of the reserve list, and every incentive both socially and financially to preserve it. Trying to read the tea leaves of the occasional sorta-relevant blog post by a Wizards insider or the flirtation with the reserve list we've seen with absurdly expensive releases is just fanning the flames of argumentation, nobody can actually predict the future.

Cactrot
Jan 11, 2001

Go Go Cactus Galactus

Strong Sauce posted:

Nah Maro said on his blog that they would never reprint it regardless of backs. Obviously corporate has decided that's not the case.

The actual quote is much more opaque and even if Tumblr posts were somehow legally binding it would still let them do Magic 30th anniversary edition.

https://markrosewater.tumblr.com/post/165693606868/if-you-were-making-a-cube-product-i-think-a#notes posted:

We are unwilling to reprint Reserved List cards at normal card size regardless of border or back.

Also Maro demonstrates here that he doesn't actually know how the reserved list works.

Basically don't trust Maro as a source for anything not related to design, and even then maybe not on designs he didn't do, and even then maybe just don't.

Cactrot fucked around with this message at 22:06 on Nov 28, 2022

Silhouette
Nov 16, 2002

SONIC BOOM!!!

Serf posted:

For $99 you'd have to sweeten the pot in some way to get me to even think about buying one. Alpha cards largely sucked anyways, do a special 30 years of Magic product that is the countdown kit on steroids. Random boosters filled with the most iconic cards from all 30 years or something. Tournament legal too, because lol at buying anything from WotC that you can't put into a deck and play at a sanctioned event.

You just described Masters 25, and it mostly sucked

AngryBooch
Sep 26, 2009

Aniodia posted:

Cool, thanks for the info and links. Looks like I have some reading to do.

Pretty much my favorite MtG podcast overall at the moment is the Cube focused Lucky Paper Radio and they had a recent episode on building a cube from an existing collection:

https://luckypaper.co/podcast/99/

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty

Pablo Nergigante posted:

It sold out. Lol

Serf
May 5, 2011

Silhouette posted:

You just described Masters 25, and it mostly sucked

I would simply make it good and not bad.

PunishedEnzoMatrix
Jul 29, 2022

by Hand Knit
If it sold out they'd have said it sold it, not that it was "unavailable for purchase." They've obviously pulled it

A big flaming stink
Apr 26, 2010
about to do something incredibly dumb on BRO draft

its like im gaming in 1994

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007
For me the fact that they found an easy way to tap into the secondary market to profit directly from it's ludicrousness is all I need to know, to know they won't reprint RL cards in a normal fashion. Have they tried doing Magic Arena Secret Lairs yet? I would expect an Arena-only power 9 re-release or secret lair or something before I'd expect a paper one.

In my dreamworld they revisit the earliest sets, but with modern design knowledge and take the concepts of cards and make em playable again, make the set draftable. Is that kinda what they're doing with the next big release dominaria remastered, or is that just curating existing cards and repacking em essentially?

Speaking of old lovely cards, is upkeep as a mechanic ever interesting? Was it interesting back in the day when many minions had it and you might not have the choice to use anything else. Does it ever get more interesting than paying upkeep costs during upkeep phase, like, it's hard to imagine playing with it today where keeping open mana is for surprise spells on opponent turn, not holding back so you can pay your taxes start of turn. Still, curious if a commander pod playing all upkeep-based decks would be a fun novelty or a tedious waste of time.

fadam
Apr 23, 2008

Khanstant posted:

Speaking of old lovely cards, is upkeep as a mechanic ever interesting? Was it interesting back in the day when many minions had it and you might not have the choice to use anything else. Does it ever get more interesting than paying upkeep costs during upkeep phase, like, it's hard to imagine playing with it today where keeping open mana is for surprise spells on opponent turn, not holding back so you can pay your taxes start of turn. Still, curious if a commander pod playing all upkeep-based decks would be a fun novelty or a tedious waste of time.

I play with Mystic Remora a decent amount and the cumulative upkeep on that card makes it kind of interesting. Just so you know, you get to untap your lands before you pay so you don’t have to hold mana up between turns.

LGD
Sep 25, 2004

Khanstant posted:

upkeep isn't a particularly interesting mechanic inherently, though "ongoing costs for above rate [thing]" is certainly workable design space, its just that most upkeep stuff wasn't particularly good/above rate (otoh cards with ongoing disadvantages that were above rate did see extensive play: i.e. Ernham, Juzam, Serendib)

cumulative upkeep definitely has a lot more going for it as a mechanic since the timing component makes it inherently interesting and scaling stuff (or not) is easy and has a bunch of mechanical space to work with (plus stuff like Psychic Vortex where the "upkeep" is an advantage) - but by default it's also harsh enough that the payoff needs to be really good to make it worth playing (Mystic Remora is a pretty good example of most of these aspects)

echo and fading/vanishing cover a lot of the same space respectively and imo generally do it better

A big flaming stink
Apr 26, 2010
that one cold snap card, jotun grunt or something had a neat design space for cumulative upkeep where it required you to exile cards from a graveyard

Katana Gomai
Jan 14, 2007

"Thus," concluded Miyamoto, "you must give up everything you have to be my disciple."

LifeLynx posted:

Ironically it'll be the stores that do well on this, since every store is getting one. Everyone here knows that one whale at their LGS who will buy it for a "deal" if it's shoved in front of them. Or four who'll buy a pack for $200ish each.

The owner of my LGS said he's going to rip one for tournament prizes and sell the other three boosters. NGL I really want to win one of those cards just to say I own a piece of the most hosed up MTG product ever released. Maybe I'll win a proxy basic land! :allears:

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty

Khanstant posted:

For me the fact that they found an easy way to tap into the secondary market to profit directly from it's ludicrousness is all I need to know, to know they won't reprint RL cards in a normal fashion. Have they tried doing Magic Arena Secret Lairs yet? I would expect an Arena-only power 9 re-release or secret lair or something before I'd expect a paper one.
they actually have put the power nine in arena already, in the form of an alchemy card:

I love it, it might be my favorite alchemy design. it's unwieldy but also just a really fun design. likely not competitive at all(thought that hasn't stopped jim davis from trying to force it multiple times), but the idea of playing that turn 3 and then turn 4 micromancer to immediately get ancestral recall is a neat combo.

A big flaming stink
Apr 26, 2010

Captain Invictus posted:

they actually have put the power nine in arena already, in the form of an alchemy card:

I love it, it might be my favorite alchemy design. it's unwieldy but also just a really fun design. likely not competitive at all(thought that hasn't stopped jim davis from trying to force it multiple times), but the idea of playing that turn 3 and then turn 4 micromancer to immediately get ancestral recall is a neat combo.

i play a really jank historic deck thats basically vintage paradoxical outcome with that, mythic urza, and emry as well as a bunch of eggs to turbo out bolas' citadel

e: it turns out paradox engine is insane in this deck since you can whir for it and have infinite mana/infinite emry activations

A big flaming stink fucked around with this message at 23:35 on Nov 28, 2022

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

Black summer was the best summer.

In a surprise to absolutely no one, Cedric still not understanding this meme.

https://twitter.com/CedricAPhillips/status/1597288180457218048?s=20&t=MBPr5QgGXZBIYg2HrLea1g

Psully having the good take, also not a surprise.
https://twitter.com/BasicMountain/status/1597314396551753728?s=20&t=MBPr5QgGXZBIYg2HrLea1g

Pablo Nergigante
Apr 16, 2002

https://twitter.com/ssomers55/status/1597298045367918592?s=20&t=ceoNLz0xgBjBczhrM94EPg

ilmucche
Mar 16, 2016

What did you say the strategy was?
Cumulative upkeep on glacial chasm is an interesting use of it. Trading life to avoid damage. The card itself can make for some really boring games though

Samael
Oct 16, 2012

I think I have definitely peaked in BRO limited.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Simply Simon
Nov 6, 2010

📡scanning🛰️ for good game 🎮design🦔🦔🦔

Captain Invictus posted:

I played against this deck twice, once even with the Micromancer combo, they made big turns (two in a row even!), played a bunch of Lotuses and Moxen, then eventually I did get a turn and my lovely zombie deck ate their face. I think they forgot to put in a wincon, unless it's "lol I ancestral recall into time warp", which is p win tbf