Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Pleads
Jun 9, 2005

pew pew pew

xzzy posted:

Spotted on reddit, this kid obliterating entire teams.

https://i.imgur.com/tc03jb1.mp4
That is sub-optimal shot blocking technique right there.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kevlar v2.0
Dec 25, 2003

=^•⩊•^=

Pleads posted:

That is sub-optimal shot blocking technique right there.

Yeah all your best armor is in the front.

I've been drilled in the back of the legs by a teammate's slapshot and that's no fun.

calandryll
Apr 25, 2003

Ask me where I do my best drinking!

Pillbug
The only reason I can think they did that was to watch where the shot was going and wasn't expecting to get hit.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

It's instinct, in the normal world it would protect his face and/or junk. Kid just hasn't learned to let the pads take the shot.

Duke Chin
Jan 11, 2002

Roger That:
MILK CRATES INBOUND

:siren::siren::siren::siren:
- FUCK THE HABS -

JUST MAKING CHILI posted:

I live in Gig Harbor and have been considering getting into ice hockey after playing inline my whole life. But the rink situation sounds kinda grim, unless the Tacoma rinks host their own league with no other travel. There’s no way I’d drive to Everett or Lynwood on a work night.

SKAHL plays low level pretty much exclusively in Renton and Snoqualmie - and the "pond" team (3 on 3 small ice w/ goalie) Bradf0rd plays on with me now and then is entirely in renton and he lives out on a certain island that a way so he has to ferry in for everything. Ask him how much he likes it :v:

Verman
Jul 4, 2005
Third time is a charm right?
I'll never forgive bradford for stealing a championship away from my team.

j/k hes a great guy and why someone who plays hockey would choose to live on an island ...

Jhet
Jun 3, 2013

Verman posted:

j/k hes a great guy and why someone who plays hockey would choose to live on an island ...

Ngl, it is a reason that we stopped looking at living on an island.

Well that and having to spend a ton of time on the ferry.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

When we started talking about moving next year the first thing I did for every potential destination was check google maps for drive times to the nearest rink.

Jhet
Jun 3, 2013

xzzy posted:

When we started talking about moving next year the first thing I did for every potential destination was check google maps for drive times to the nearest rink.

Yeah, when we moved back we looked for the normal things like where the hockey programs were located and which one we thought looked like it would be the best for the kid. I think we ended up with a good program.

Oh, and schools I guess.

And then the Kraken built three sheets even closer. Drop in is very useful, but so much of it is scheduled at absolutely terrible times. It's been great for watching videos and then trying things out. The repetition in a game like situation and having to constantly make decisions has made it a lot more fun to learn and improve.

Hockles
Dec 25, 2007

Resident of Camp Blood
Crystal Lake

xzzy posted:

I did the same exact thing. I made a whole spreadsheet and everything.

I ended up moving 15 minutes further away from work. But 5-10 min closer to all the rinks I play at.

Pleads
Jun 9, 2005

pew pew pew

I played like absolute fuckin rear end for the first half of a game tonight, the first time as goalie I've ever felt personally responsible for a deficit. Sucks. 8 goals in the first ~25 minutes of play and I absolutely should have had 4 of them easily (the rest mostly whatever, other team was skating and passing better so not too torn up not making miracle saves). Terrible goals, butts and poo poo!

Had a really good second half but that basically just kept things vaguely respectable at 8-5 instead of like 16-5.

Parking lot beers made it all better, water under the bridge. Play again tomorrow. I will win the Vezina.

calandryll
Apr 25, 2003

Pillbug
Teammate brought his motorhome on Sunday since it was cold out. It was nice sitting in it and drinking beers. He also brought some drumsticks ala Shoresy, which I will say is pretty loving good after a game.

Vargatron
Apr 19, 2008

MRAZZLE DAZZLE

Pleads posted:

I played like absolute fuckin rear end for the first half of a game tonight, the first time as goalie I've ever felt personally responsible for a deficit. Sucks. 8 goals in the first ~25 minutes of play and I absolutely should have had 4 of them easily (the rest mostly whatever, other team was skating and passing better so not too torn up not making miracle saves). Terrible goals, butts and poo poo!

Had a really good second half but that basically just kept things vaguely respectable at 8-5 instead of like 16-5.

Parking lot beers made it all better, water under the bridge. Play again tomorrow. I will win the Vezina.

For me it's either this, or losing like 3-2 after facing 50 shots to the other goalie's 12.

Thufir
May 19, 2004

"The fucking Mayans were right."
League director scheduled us a “makeup” game on the Tuesday of thanksgiving week and then bitched at us for forfeiting with late notice when it turned out half the team was out of town and most everyone else was sick.

“Makeup” game for our first game of the season in which he scheduled us against a team that turned out not to exist.

Henrik Zetterberg
Dec 7, 2007

calandryll posted:

Teammate brought his motorhome on Sunday since it was cold out. It was nice sitting in it and drinking beers. He also brought some drumsticks ala Shoresy, which I will say is pretty loving good after a game.

This rules

Henrik Zetterberg
Dec 7, 2007

Thufir posted:

League director scheduled us a “makeup” game on the Tuesday of thanksgiving week and then bitched at us for forfeiting with late notice when it turned out half the team was out of town and most everyone else was sick.

“Makeup” game for our first game of the season in which he scheduled us against a team that turned out not to exist.

I have a game tonight (Wednesday) and one on Friday. It’s so insanely stupid. We also played on Halloween and like 6 skaters, who either don’t have kids or their kids were older and out of the house already, showed up.

gently caress playing beer league hockey on Halloween when you have little kids.

Henrik Zetterberg fucked around with this message at 18:35 on Nov 23, 2022

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

I got ice Thursday morning from 7a-9a for the best private skate of the year.

Also I cut my last fischer stick from "the sale" last night. The one it's replacing was falling apart at the toe+heel and looked like a safety hazard so off to hockey stick heaven it went.

Henrik Zetterberg
Dec 7, 2007

Check out last_shot_sports on eBay. He sells “demo” sticks for cheap. Like, the top end ones for $100. They show up with stick tape on them and maybe a scuff mark or two on it, but are otherwise in great condition. I’ve bought like 5-6 sticks and pretty much replaced most of my pads through from him and they’ve all been great.

RC Cola
Aug 1, 2011

Dovie'andi se tovya sagain

Henrik Zetterberg posted:

I have a game tonight (Wednesday) and one on Friday. It’s so insanely stupid. We also played on Halloween and like 6 skaters, who either don’t have kids or their kids were older and out of the house already, showed up.

gently caress playing beer league hockey when you have little kids.

We have a game at 11 PM December 23rd(Friday and we are a Tuesday team), and then on the 27th aka half our team will be gone.

Also my Tuesday teammates after our game last night were like "have you been doing stick and pucks dude? You are so much better than the start of the season" and that was the best thing anyone has said to me ever in my entire life. I missed multiple one timers across the crease to an empty net. BUT I connected with the puck at least and didn't whiff.
I backchecked hard and still wasn't able to stop a guy from getting a rebound goal though.
One guy on our team did a backhand top right shelf snipe during the game though. It was sick.
I felt really good though. I could receive passes, I did some really good tape to tape passes through traffic in the neutral zone.
Also I realized I'm really really fast. I can outsprint basically anyone on the ice, and everyone is telling me my form is awful and I lose a ton of speed from pushing backwards at full speed instead of to the side. So I think I can get faster? I kept getting breakaways and then pushing the puck a little too hard and losing it to the corner or the goalie. So that's something else I need to work on. But god drat hockey rules.

ALSO on our sunday league we got a sub who played AAA 8 years ago and dusted off his skates to play. He was the best person I have ever seen play (in beer league) by a lot. He effortlessly skated around all 5 of their players and just set up plays. I would be upset about him playing with us but we still lost 2-3. But it ruled to see how good he was on the ice. It was like magic how he was always in the perfect position, and he was very nice about passing it to everyone. He definately should not be allowed to play in D league though lmao

Jhet
Jun 3, 2013
^ Our youth hockey goalie coach played into the minors and was subbing last weekend waaaay down into Div8. He was nice about it and even got bored enough to let one in.

calandryll posted:

Also had someone bring drumsticks on Sunday (no RV though) so it’s clearly popular this week.

Jhet fucked around with this message at 18:04 on Nov 23, 2022

Verman
Jul 4, 2005
My team was supposed to have a game last night but the other team couldn't get enough players and forfeited. They used the ice time anyway and gave me a heads up. I placed up the skates for the first time in over a year since hurting my back (aside from a pair of stick and puck sessions) and had a great time.

Holy poo poo did I lose a lot though. I have zero speed and seemingly less stamina. My timing was way off, and my hands felt like bricks. Regardless it was fun and I had a great time even though it was just friendly 3/3.

I made sure to stretch a lot when I got home and I feel good so far but there was also little to no contact and nobody was really pushing the limit. I'm going to start trying to work out, run, strengthen up and maybe start playing again. Maybe.

Bradf0rd
Jun 16, 2008

Agent of Chaos

Verman posted:

Sorry, not sorry. Got another mug for it!

The island thing isn't too bad, unless you really want to play in leagues. I was playing on Duke's 3v3 team until work became too busy and I was commuting 3+ hours round trip and dealing with the ferry schedules for maybe 20 minutes of skating. I'm a goalie in a private small ice skate at the same time, on the same day, every week. So I can make the longer trip worth it since it's about 90 minutes of ice time. We even get a dry scrape at half thanks to the lovely Zam driver taking bribes in beer and giftcards. I could probably do leagues in Tacoma but I'm enjoying the drama-free skates with a group I've played with for five years now. If Duke ever gets another five or so championship mugs, I might return to get more glass.

calandryll
Apr 25, 2003

Pillbug

It did. Sticks are good after a game. Almost as good as beer.

RC Cola
Aug 1, 2011

We lost 3-6 to the team that beat us 3-12. Legit night and day. Now my tuesday team plays that same team on thursday because they are signed up for both leagues. I'm excited to see how my better Tuesday team does compared to my Sunday team.

Some of the people on the Sunday league are really really good. And some are so bad its probably better to just skate 4-5. I'm luckily not one of the ultra bads on the Sunday League, but I'm definately the worst person on my Tuesday team.
Its wild how 1 team has such disparity compared to my other team that is more average skilled players.

Edit: Also we lost on Sunday partly because our good players were getting slashed and slew footed and checked and tripped all game and nothing was called and they were getting pissed off. One of our goals was a penalty shot where one of their players took their stick and threw it like a spear at our best player. But like from behind their net right at him. How did that guy not get thrown in the box or something in addition to the penalty shot? That poo poo is dangerous

RC Cola fucked around with this message at 19:28 on Nov 28, 2022

Jhet
Jun 3, 2013

RC Cola posted:

We lost 3-6 to the team that beat us 3-12. Legit night and day. Now my tuesday team plays that same team on thursday because they are signed up for both leagues. I'm excited to see how my better Tuesday team does compared to my Sunday team.

Some of the people on the Sunday league are really really good. And some are so bad its probably better to just skate 4-5. I'm luckily not one of the ultra bads on the Sunday League, but I'm definately the worst person on my Tuesday team.
Its wild how 1 team has such disparity compared to my other team that is more average skilled players.

Edit: Also we lost on Sunday partly because our good players were getting slashed and slew footed and checked and tripped all game and nothing was called and they were getting pissed off. One of our goals was a penalty shot where one of their players took their stick and threw it like a spear at our best player. But like from behind their net right at him. How did that guy not get thrown in the box or something in addition to the penalty shot? That poo poo is dangerous

It's only a minor penalty/penalty shot (if it occurs in the defensive zone of the penalized player) if you throw your stick. You only get one. Unless you throw it outside the playing surface when it also becomes misconduct. It's stupid bush league poo poo though and the player should be embarrassed to be on skates. Doing it again would get them a misconduct. Spearing only occurs when they're still holding their stick.

calandryll
Apr 25, 2003

Pillbug
Throwing a stick should be an instant toss.

My daughter asked me after our game why I was in time out during it. Lol.

Jhet
Jun 3, 2013

calandryll posted:

Throwing a stick should be an instant toss.

My daughter asked me after our game why I was in time out during it. Lol.

It’s considered a stick infraction and is under 637. If it’s considered to be especially dangerous it would be a match penalty under 602 Attempt to Injure. That’ll get you an extra suspension as well.

Timeouts are for people who work extra hard and break the rules anyway. There’s some great unreliability inside competitive contact when it comes to how the game gets called because it can be really subjective to the level of play the ref is comfortable with and how they see the teams playing. That part gets extra annoying when you end up with refs who will call contact differently due to size or perception of gender.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Once during a rented ice game with a bunch of friends I threw a glove at the puck as the guy in possession blew past me on a 1 on 0 breakaway. He flubbed the shot and said the glove coming out of nowhere surprised him so much he ran out of time to pick a shot.

So if you're gonna throw something, use a glove. Still gonna get you a penalty but everyone will think it's funny.

JUST MAKING CHILI
Feb 14, 2008
I once saw Darcy Wakaluk throw his stick after misplaying a puck in the corner. Saved the goal but gave up a goal on the penalty shot that came after. Always throw equipment to stop a goal.

sellouts
Apr 23, 2003

Jhet posted:

Timeouts are for people who work extra hard and break the rules anyway. There’s some great unreliability inside competitive contact when it comes to how the game gets called because it can be really subjective to the level of play the ref is comfortable with and how they see the teams playing. That part gets extra annoying when you end up with refs who will call contact differently due to size or perception of gender.

you can just say women get calls sometimes, it’s what you mean anyways

sellouts
Apr 23, 2003

also I’ll just say it’s a lovely take because that’s what I meant

Jhet
Jun 3, 2013

sellouts posted:

you can just say women get calls sometimes, it’s what you mean anyways

They do. Though I was including it in the larger issue of calling penalties due to a size mismatch and not a lack of playing the puck. And the bigger the skater is, the more likely they're getting called for a body check or not getting one called in their favor and it's lovely.

sellouts
Apr 23, 2003

lack of playing the puck? what are you talking about??

truly sad that you think that “perceived gender” generates any calls on its own or is worth pointing out. goodness.

sellouts
Apr 23, 2003

a lower level player who can’t handle the level of play / physicality and gets their poo poo rocked will draw a penalty sometimes but:

I know a few women who would do that to almost every male poster in this thread including myself

and

If a player is woefully under skilled there are many officials who would use their discretion to not call a penalty because it’s the low skilled players fault that they are in over their skis. A bad player shouldn’t bring down the level of a skate via penalties or the avoidance of getting them because they can’t match the level of the game.

anyways it’s a really stupid and unfounded position and it’s the type of poo poo that infuriates women I do play with.

Verman
Jul 4, 2005
Well tonight's the night. One of the teams I sub with is short handed and needs bodies and they're playing at the rink at 9pm, which is 5 minutes from my house.

This will be my first actual game in more than a year after injuring my back.

I've been lacking on my physical therapy routine since my back has been feeling better these last few months but I try to stretch every day. I'm hoping this game goes well.

I went for a run today, I don't run regularly, just to see how the legs and lungs feel. Not great is the answer. I got COVID about two months ago and a respiratory infection two weeks later. My lungs were on fire and my legs felt like I started on empty. The hill didn't help. My legs felt like they weighed a thousand pounds.

I need to start a workout regimen of sorts. I hate working out just for the sake of just working out so it will take some willpower on my end but it needs to happen. During my recovery, I lost a lot of strength and all my cardio stamina. But if I want to play hockey again and ski season is starting, I'll enjoy both more if I do.

Im going to need to rearrange my budget to accommodate hockey again.

Lol jk. Games tomorrow. Thankfully I live close to the rink because I was trying to figure out what locker room we were in and didn't see it.

Verman fucked around with this message at 05:08 on Nov 29, 2022

Jhet
Jun 3, 2013

sellouts posted:

anyways it’s a really stupid and unfounded position and it’s the type of poo poo that infuriates women I do play with.

I think you think I’m on the other side of this when I’m not. There’s a ton of really awesome women I play with and against.

The refs we get on the other hand are less awesome and consistent. It’s not even the only sport I’ve been annoyed by this. Women are absolutely capable players, but there are still refs who call the game thinking they are not and it’s complete bullshit.

JUST MAKING CHILI
Feb 14, 2008

Verman posted:

Well tonight's the night. One of the teams I sub with is short handed and needs bodies and they're playing at the rink at 9pm, which is 5 minutes from my house.

I've been lacking on my physical therapy routine since my back has been feeling better these last few months but I try to stretch every day. I'm hoping this game goes well.

I went for a run today, I don't run regularly, just to see how the legs and lungs feel. Not great is the answer. I got COVID about two months ago and a respiratory infection two weeks later. My lungs were on fire and my legs felt like I started on empty. The hill didn't help. My legs felt like they weighed a thousand pounds.

I need to start a workout regimen of sorts. I hate working out just for the sake of just working out so it will take some willpower on my end but it needs to happen. During my recovery, I lost a lot of strength and all my cardio stamina. But if I want to play hockey again and ski season is starting, I'll enjoy both more if I do.

Lol jk. Games tomorrow. Thankfully I live close to the rink because I was trying to figure out what locker room we were in and didn't see it.

I just started a hockey specific workout today! Gary Robert's The Program he did with Nike a few years ago seems be be pretty popular online: http://www.hockeyeasternontario.ca/docs/NIKE_offseason_program.pdf. There's an in-season version too, but I'm trying out the offseason program for now.

sellouts
Apr 23, 2003

Jhet posted:

I think you think I’m on the other side of this when I’m not. There’s a ton of really awesome women I play with and against.

I’ll leave it alone but your comment sucks and you not seeing that is 100% the wrong side. How about supporting those women by not complaining that it’s their “perceived gender” (again, what) that gets them calls and instead bad officiating making bad calls on individual plays against hockey players?

It’s traditionally hostile enough for women in locker rooms and male dominated leagues, don’t patronize them by putting bad officiating on if they look loving feminine or not and call it being supportive.

Jhet
Jun 3, 2013

sellouts posted:

bad officiating making bad calls on individual plays against hockey players?

That is legit what I'm trying to say, but I'm clearly not saying it well.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RC Cola
Aug 1, 2011

Verman posted:

How did it go?