Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Burden
Jul 25, 2006

Picked up that Frugal deal for $37 a year this morning. Switching off of Super news and tweaknews as my backup. Hopefully it's good with the bonus backups.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rexxed
May 1, 2010

Dis is amazing!
I gotta try dis!

Some of the nzb sites are also doing renewal discounts. I re-upped on on .su recently (no discount afaik) so I'm not doing it, but dog sent me an email about tacking a few months on for each renewal yesterday. I forget why I let VIP lapse on dog but they're kind of dickheads, this is their current deal:
code:
Renew On	        3 Year Renewal	        1 Year Renewal
November 25th	12 additional months	4 additional months
November 26th	9 additional months	3 additional months
November 27th	6 additional months	2 additional months

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

Drunkenslug and nzbgeek are also doing deals

DS is 18 instead of 12 months on VIP
Nzbgeek has 5 year for $30 and lifetime for $60 and discounts on smaller plans

Those two have really become my go to for the past few years. I believe DS opened registrations today too.

Henrik Zetterberg
Dec 7, 2007

Nice, I just did 18 months x2 at Slug and now have another 3 years. Cheers.

PitViper
May 25, 2003

Welcome and thank you for shopping at Wal-Mart!
I love you!
I've been running exclusively Frugal with the bonus Farm backup, plus a bunch of Farm block that I'd purchased prior to them linking up with Frugal. I very rarely have anything fail, and run through probably 400-600GB/ month.

willroc7
Jul 24, 2006

BADGES? WE DON'T NEED NO STINKIN' BADGES!
I only use 100-150gb per month, so the blocks are much more economical for me. I ended up getting newsgroupdirect for my main provider with a 500gb block of vipernews as a backup.

Volguus
Mar 3, 2009

willroc7 posted:

I only use 100-150gb per month, so the blocks are much more economical for me. I ended up getting newsgroupdirect for my main provider with a 500gb block of vipernews as a backup.

Thanks for making me look. I downloaded 120GB this month, as per SABNzbd. Typical month I'd say. I'll be better served by a block account.

ILikeVoltron
May 17, 2003

I <3 spyderbyte!

willroc7 posted:

Thanks for the link. Any thoughts on what 2 blocks would give the best coverage?

I use the following 5:

ILikeVoltron fucked around with this message at 23:11 on Nov 30, 2022

Vykk.Draygo
Jan 17, 2004

I say salesmen and women of the world unite!
I didn't realize Astraweb was even still around. I feel like I haven't heard that name in a decade. Can't remember why I dumped them, but I'm pretty sure they were doing something shady at the time.

Super-NintendoUser
Jan 16, 2004

COWABUNGERDER COMPADRES
Soiled Meat
Is there a Calibre ebook thread? I'm trying to figure out some stuff with it but I can't find a good place to get help.

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

ILikeVoltron posted:

I use the following 5:

I'm going to spare your otherwise pristine rap sheet, but you've been around since 2003 and should know better. Posting a screenshot of the exact filez you're downloading is definitely stepping over the "no filez" line.

I'll remind the thread of the rules in the OP:
Don't talk about the specific contents of specific newsgroups.
Don't talk about things you want to download from Usenet, things you've already downloaded from Usenet, or ask for help with utilizing things you've downloaded from Usenet.
Don't post direct links to NZBs, collections of NZBs, or Newzbin reports of copyrighted material.
Don't post screenshots or logs that haven't been sanitized. Black bars, use them.
Don't request invites to any invite-only sites. (modnote)

Internet Explorer fucked around with this message at 04:09 on Nov 29, 2022

Warbird
May 23, 2012

America's Favorite Dumbass

Super-NintendoUser posted:

Is there a Calibre ebook thread? I'm trying to figure out some stuff with it but I can't find a good place to get help.

Not sure. If you’ve got questions feel free to ask here or in the self hosting threads and we can see what we can do.

Aware
Nov 18, 2003

Probably the best place is the eReader thread -

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3366619&pagenumber=289&perpage=40

Keito
Jul 21, 2005

WHAT DO I CHOOSE ?

Installing KOReader on my Kindle and just deleting Calibre made things a lot better for me.

cr0y
Mar 24, 2005

What's the "proper" way to deal with shows that are reported to TVDB(?) In the format SeasonYearExx as opposed to SeasonEXx (ie the "season" is a 4 digit year instead of a two digit season starting at 01). Sonarr has no idea how to search for these things and it's rare enough that I never learned how to contend with it.

I hope that question is clear and someone knows what I mean.

Burden
Jul 25, 2006

cr0y posted:

What's the "proper" way to deal with shows that are reported to TVDB(?) In the format SeasonYearExx as opposed to SeasonEXx (ie the "season" is a 4 digit year instead of a two digit season starting at 01). Sonarr has no idea how to search for these things and it's rare enough that I never learned how to contend with it.

I hope that question is clear and someone knows what I mean.

Is it a show that airs daily by chance? If it is, when you add the show to Sonarr change the series type from Standard to daily and that should fix the issue.

cr0y
Mar 24, 2005

Burden posted:

Is it a show that airs daily by chance? If it is, when you add the show to Sonarr change the series type from Standard to daily and that should fix the issue.

It's not, oddly the daily shows that aren't even tagged as such work just fine most of the time.

Violator
May 15, 2003

There’s no real benefit to the Frugal package that includes BlockNews blocks since they use the same backbone, right?

vivica
Feb 22, 2005

The Calibre forums are the best place to get help, the devs post there.

Methylethylaldehyde
Oct 23, 2004

BAKA BAKA
So is NZBget still the go-to for *arr downloading? I notice that there doesn't seem to be much ongoing development on it.

Burden
Jul 25, 2006

Methylethylaldehyde posted:

So is NZBget still the go-to for *arr downloading? I notice that there doesn't seem to be much ongoing development on it.

Development has ended on NZBget. I saw that a few days ago on Reddit. NZBget still works fine, but SABnzbd is the only one I know of at the moment that is still in development.

The Gillman
Jul 8, 2004
Beaten with a sack of sweet Valencia oranges
Grimey Drawer
NZBget is very much still functional

deong
Jun 13, 2001

I'll see you in heck!
Weird
I jumped from sabnzbs because it seemed to be less functional than nzbget. I see no need for updates on nzbget as is tho.

Takes No Damage
Nov 20, 2004

The most merciful thing in the world, I think, is the inability of the human mind to correlate all its contents. We live on a placid island of ignorance in the midst of black seas of infinity, and it was not meant that we should voyage far.

Grimey Drawer
I've only ever used SAB, but I believe at one point there was some Netscape/Explorer rivalry thing going on, and early on Get was better. Then development stalled and SAB pulled ahead in updates and features. Last I heard they were both fine, use whichever one works best for your system.

more falafel please
Feb 26, 2005

forums poster

I used NZBget for a while, but I switched back to SABnzbd and I like it better. Maybe I'm just more used to it, maybe it's that the switch back corresponded to me switching from self-hosted to a seedbox with an extremely fat pipe, but it just seems to work nicer.

Aware
Nov 18, 2003
I could never get the arrs to play nice with get so that drove me to sab.

more falafel please
Feb 26, 2005

forums poster

Aware posted:

I could never get the arrs to play nice with get so that drove me to sab.

Yeah, iirc this was part of it for me, I had to do everything through blackhole folders. The arrs are much nicer if they can actually talk to your downloader API, otherwise they're not a huge upgrade over SickBeard.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

Hmm I’ve been using sonarr and radarr with get for years and don’t have to use black holes or anything like that. I’ll try screenshot some of my setup tomorrow and see if there’s anything I do differently.

Aware
Nov 18, 2003
I don't really have a reason to move away from SAB so don't bother on my behalf. I never even log into it now it's setup.

Dead Goon
Dec 13, 2002

No Obvious Flaws

I found using nzbget vs SAB like sitting 2-inches off the ground in a kit-car doing 150 mph vs the same in a Porsche.

It might feel faster and be more exhilarating, but it's so much more comfortable in the Porsche.

:iiaca:

Dyscrasia
Jun 23, 2003
Give Me Hamms Premium Draft or Give Me DEATH!!!!
On my machine sab used 20-25% cpu vs 10% for nzbget at full speed. I use nzb360 on my phone to manage things, I suppose I don't see the nzbget ui too often.

As far as arrs, both downloaders worked identically for me.

Keito
Jul 21, 2005

WHAT DO I CHOOSE ?
Tried to use NZBget for a period probably about a decade ago since I wanted something more lightweight on my awful hardware, but since it would fail on stuff that downloaded just fine in SABnzbd I moved back. The latter has since worked on offloading most CPU-intensive functionality to binary components so it's pretty impressive how well it stacks up against the C++ "competitor" nowadays.

ILikeVoltron
May 17, 2003

I <3 spyderbyte!

Internet Explorer posted:

I'm going to spare your otherwise pristine rap sheet, but you've been around since 2003 and should know better. Posting a screenshot of the exact filez you're downloading is definitely stepping over the "no filez" line.

I'll remind the thread of the rules in the OP:
Don't talk about the specific contents of specific newsgroups.
Don't talk about things you want to download from Usenet, things you've already downloaded from Usenet, or ask for help with utilizing things you've downloaded from Usenet.
Don't post direct links to NZBs, collections of NZBs, or Newzbin reports of copyrighted material.
Don't post screenshots or logs that haven't been sanitized. Black bars, use them.
Don't request invites to any invite-only sites. (modnote)

Apologies I assed (assumed) the work was public domain, corrections have been applied. Please have a nice day.

Rufus Ping
Dec 27, 2006

I'm a Friend of Rodney Nano
:pwn:

Dyscrasia
Jun 23, 2003
Give Me Hamms Premium Draft or Give Me DEATH!!!!

Keito posted:

Tried to use NZBget for a period probably about a decade ago since I wanted something more lightweight on my awful hardware, but since it would fail on stuff that downloaded just fine in SABnzbd I moved back. The latter has since worked on offloading most CPU-intensive functionality to binary components so it's pretty impressive how well it stacks up against the C++ "competitor" nowadays.

Cool, I'll have to try out SAB again then. It's been about 2 years since I last checked it.

rufius
Feb 27, 2011

Clear alcohols are for rich women on diets.

Dyscrasia posted:

Cool, I'll have to try out SAB again then. It's been about 2 years since I last checked it.

I got it setup for good measure on my machine and it’s doing goofy poo poo with placing stuff into folders. I’m gonna have to figure out how to get it to behave like NZBGet with the folder structuring.

Silly Burrito
Nov 27, 2007

SET A COURSE FOR
THE FLAVOR QUADRANT
NZBGeek is running a special that ends in seven hours for those that are interested.

•6 Month Subscription - $4.00 USD (Save $2.00 USD)
•1 Year Subscription - $9.00 USD (Save $3.00 USD)
•5 Year Subscription - $30.00 USD (Save $10.00 USD)
•Lifetime Subscription - $60.00 USD (Save $20.00 USD)

more falafel please
Feb 26, 2005

forums poster

NZBGeek is so good I've set my weights in Sonarr to only use anything else as a last resort. Highly recommend.

8-bit Miniboss
May 24, 2005

CORPO COPS CAME FOR MY :filez:
I bought lifetime for it last year at full price. It gets everything I want. No complaints.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

withoutclass
Nov 6, 2007

Resist the siren call of rhinocerosness

College Slice
Dang, the deal is already gone :(

Edit I guess that makes sense as it's way over 7 hours, welp.