Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

STING 64
Oct 20, 2006

Kosmo Gallion posted:

During War Raiders vs Aleister Black and Ricochet from Takeover New York in 2019, about five minutes into the match the audience, who had previously been cheering wildly go dead silent for a couple of minutes before letting out an almighty cheer and a "You deserve it" chant. It's nothing to do with what's going on in the match because Black has Rowe in an abdominal stretch. Were there ever any reports of what happened in the crowd? Did somebody get kicked out of the arena?

i mean its barclays center so probably.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bartok
May 10, 2006

Kosmo Gallion posted:

During War Raiders vs Aleister Black and Ricochet from Takeover New York in 2019, about five minutes into the match the audience, who had previously been cheering wildly go dead silent for a couple of minutes before letting out an almighty cheer and a "You deserve it" chant. It's nothing to do with what's going on in the match because Black has Rowe in an abdominal stretch. Were there ever any reports of what happened in the crowd? Did somebody get kicked out of the arena?

The last ROH show I went to some fan tried to grab Maria's rear end and they got a "You deserve it" chant when they were kicked out.

Lamuella
Jun 26, 2003

It's like goldy or bronzy, but made of iron.

What was the last national American wrestling brand to run on TV on Saturdays? Last I can remember is WWF with Shotgun Saturday Night but I didn't know if there were others.

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

Lamuella posted:

What was the last national American wrestling brand to run on TV on Saturdays? Last I can remember is WWF with Shotgun Saturday Night but I didn't know if there were others.

TNA on cable, ROH's main day in its syndication package was Saturday Nights.

CombineThresher
Apr 10, 2006

GIT R DONNE

Lid posted:

Was Reggie Bennett any good?

From what I've seen, yes.

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

How do wrestlers select their finisher?

Critical
Aug 23, 2007

Captain Foo posted:

pick a move they're good at doing and then add overly complicated bits until it looks like a contrived piece of poo poo. then someone tells them to knock it off and just do a cutter

little munchkin
Aug 15, 2010

Captain Foo posted:

you do a bunch of moves to your opponent, and when they can't get back up whatever move you just did is your finisher

RenegadeStyle1
Jun 7, 2005

Baby Come Back

little munchkin posted:

you do a bunch of moves to your opponent, and when they can't get back up whatever move you just did is your finisher

Shidded on them

History Comes Inside!
Nov 20, 2004

Depends what finishers they’ve unlocked tbh

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Triple Paul tells them they get to do the Overdrive

Pope Corky the IX
Dec 18, 2006

What are you looking at?
You have to purchase one at the Smackdown Mall.

Defenestrategy
Oct 24, 2010

Finishes are one of those things that felt contrived to me and then I actually learned combat sports and found near 90% of my submission finishes are via americana.

Is there currently a wrestler that doesnt have a designated finishing spot and just beats people with random moves? Like maybe one match is an octopus stretch, the next a superplex,etc,etc

Alaois
Feb 7, 2012

Defenestrategy posted:

Finishes are one of those things that felt contrived to me and then I actually learned combat sports and found near 90% of my submission finishes are via americana.

Is there currently a wrestler that doesnt have a designated finishing spot and just beats people with random moves? Like maybe one match is an octopus stretch, the next a superplex,etc,etc

bryan danielson

flatluigi
Apr 23, 2008

here come the planes
it usually ends up being 'this person has a lot of signature moves/finishers they can end a match with' than 'they don't have any of them'

I think danielson won with a different move in like his first dozen matches in AEW, and Jericho also basically has a free pick from the bucket of moves he's established as being powerful over the decades

Stealth Tiger
Nov 14, 2009

You have to start with the move name, then work backwards. And the move name has to be a pun on your name so if your name is Guy then your move is THE LASER GUYDED MISSILE or if your first name is Dawn then it's THE BREAK OF DAWN

Ganso Bomb
Oct 24, 2005

turn it all around

Defenestrategy posted:

Danielson kind of does this. He has the Lebell Lock, the knee, the elbows for a KO, the triangle choke, and maybe more? ZSJ is probably in this category as well, though I haven't watched New Japan in a while so I could be off there. He always just had a ton of submissions to dish out.

When I was in wrestling school, one of the main things I thought about when thinking about a finish was "Will this kill my body if I do it many times over and over again". I liked Diamond Dust as a move, but the idea of flipping onto my rear end over and over again made my spine want to crumble.

Lid
Feb 18, 2005

And the mercy seat is awaiting,
And I think my head is burning,
And in a way I'm yearning,
To be done with all this measuring of proof.
An eye for an eye
And a tooth for a tooth,
And anyway I told the truth,
And I'm not afraid to die.
Mr Small Package

STING 64
Oct 20, 2006

the judas effect is the best finisher because nobody has to bump for it

RenegadeStyle1
Jun 7, 2005

Baby Come Back
My finishers DVD because my wrestling moniker is Domestic Violence Dad.

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010

Defenestrategy posted:

Prior to signing with WWE, Adam Cole had 3 or 4 different moves but none of them seemed to take precedence

Shard
Jul 30, 2005

I'm interested in the fallout after Bruiser Brody died. Was it ever officially declared a murder by the promoter or is that just hearsay?

And was there ever any kind of retaliation from Brody's friends upset over his death or did business just march forward at that promotion as usual?

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

Shard posted:

I'm interested in the fallout after Bruiser Brody died. Was it ever officially declared a murder by the promoter or is that just hearsay?

And was there ever any kind of retaliation from Brody's friends upset over his death or did business just march forward at that promotion as usual?

There was a criminal investigation and trial. Dutch Mantel claims he received his summons after the trial was over. Or maybe he just says that. Hard to say! But the implication is Invader #1 got off because of a corrupt system. A bunch of wrestlers swore they'd never go back to Puerto Rico, some went back and worked with IWA instead of WWA, some never went back and I think a couple worked with Invader because it's wrestling.

RenegadeStyle1
Jun 7, 2005

Baby Come Back
In the DSOR episode on it I am pretty sure Tony Atlas said he never received a summons and I believe he was in the locker room right outside the showers when it happened.

karmicknight
Aug 21, 2011

JOHN CENA posted:

the judas effect is the best finisher because nobody has to bump for it

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

Corgis love bread. And Puro

Ganso Bomb posted:

Danielson kind of does this. He has the Lebell Lock, the knee, the elbows for a KO, the triangle choke, and maybe more? ZSJ is probably in this category as well, though I haven't watched New Japan in a while so I could be off there. He always just had a ton of submissions to dish out.

When I was in wrestling school, one of the main things I thought about when thinking about a finish was "Will this kill my body if I do it many times over and over again". I liked Diamond Dust as a move, but the idea of flipping onto my rear end over and over again made my spine want to crumble.

This is surprisingly forward thinking for a wrestler in training

Lily Catts
Oct 17, 2012

Show me the way to you
(Heavy Metal)

Ganso Bomb posted:

ZSJ likes to make up finishers so he could give them an obscure band-related name and make it difficult for the guy responsible for posting official match results.

I've seen Shingo Takagi end matches with both the Pumping Bomber and Made In Japan but those were against Young Lions or juniors.

I think it makes sense for most wrestlers to have a set finisher because you can build a match around successfully hitting that move. Just teasing it in the opening minutes of a match is enough to make the crowd pop. Although for the life of me I don't know what Toru Yano's finisher is lmao

SG Bamboo
Aug 21, 2013

Smile. Win. Yay!

Lily Catts posted:

Although for the life of me I don't know what Toru Yano's finisher is lmao

If I remember correctly it's a kneeling powerbomb

Shard
Jul 30, 2005

If I picked a finisher that wouldn't hurt me while I did it over the years I would totally pick the impaler DDT. It looks really cool and you can take it flat on your back.

SiKboy
Oct 28, 2007

Oh no!😱

A lot of years ago a couple of friends of mine were trainee wrestlers, and they were going to have their first match with the promotion associated with the school. Okay, they were mainly going to be warm bodies making up the numbers in a top rope battle royale, but they were tapped to at least get some offense in on other trainees before being eliminated by the guys whose names were on the poster. the evening of the show a visiting wrestler (whose name I wish I could remember, he'd had like a cup of coffee in the WWE in the 90s, and his best days were very much behind him. He looked a lot like a bald egg in a black singlet) asked what my pals finish was, and he said "Its a sort of arm trap sit out cutter" to which the veteran (whose finish was essentially the stone cold stunner) responded, and I'm told this is a direct quote "AS LONG AS MY ARSE POINTS SOUTH YOU WILL NOT BE USING A CUTTER AS A FINISH IN THIS OR ANY OTHER FED". So thats how my mate was assigned a submission finish which he had to make the best of for the rest of his (brief) wrestling career.

ETA: He was also billed as being i think 4 inches taller than my mates (shoot) height, despite being visibly much shorter than him.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Stealth Tiger posted:

You have to start with the move name, then work backwards. And the move name has to be a pun on your name so if your name is Guy then your move is THE LASER GUYDED MISSILE or if your first name is Dawn then it's THE BREAK OF DAWN

Untrue. Carlito's finisher was the Backstabber and not what it should have been, which is Carlito's Way. :colbert:

Dr. Quarex
Apr 18, 2003

I'M A BIG DORK WHO POSTS TOO MUCH ABOUT CONVENTIONS LOOK AT THIS

TOVA TOVA TOVA
Surely there cannot be many bald eggs who wrestled in the WWF in the 1990s whose finisher was the Stunner

It was Bastion Booger, surely

GEORGE W BUSHI
Jul 1, 2012

Lily Catts posted:

ZSJ likes to make up finishers so he could give them an obscure band-related name and make it difficult for the guy responsible for posting official match results.

I've seen Shingo Takagi end matches with both the Pumping Bomber and Made In Japan but those were against Young Lions or juniors.

I think it makes sense for most wrestlers to have a set finisher because you can build a match around successfully hitting that move. Just teasing it in the opening minutes of a match is enough to make the crowd pop. Although for the life of me I don't know what Toru Yano's finisher is lmao

Shingo also wins with the Ground Cobra a lot.

I think Taichi has the most established finishes of any wrestler I can think of. He's gotten wins with Black Mephisto, Seitei Jujiro, Gedo Clutch, Yokozuna Elbow and the Tensho Jujihou this year. I kinda love that the Tensho Jujihou has like a 1% hit rate but it almost always finishes the match if he actually hits it.

Lily Catts
Oct 17, 2012

Show me the way to you
(Heavy Metal)

GEORGE W BUSHI posted:

Shingo also wins with the Ground Cobra a lot.

I think Taichi has the most established finishes of any wrestler I can think of. He's gotten wins with Black Mephisto, Seitei Jujiro, Gedo Clutch, Yokozuna Elbow and the Tensho Jujihou this year. I kinda love that the Tensho Jujihou has like a 1% hit rate but it almost always finishes the match if he actually hits it.

I have no idea what Tensho Jujihou looks like (I know it's a Souther move from Fist of the North Star). Seitei Jujiro is just a Taichi-flavored Stretch Plum?

GEORGE W BUSHI
Jul 1, 2012

Lily Catts posted:

I have no idea what Tensho Jujihou looks like (I know it's a Souther move from Fist of the North Star). Seitei Jujiro is just a Taichi-flavored Stretch Plum?

Tensho Jujihou is the thrust kick after the pants rip. Seitei Jujiro is indeed the stretch plum

Lily Catts
Oct 17, 2012

Show me the way to you
(Heavy Metal)

GEORGE W BUSHI posted:

Tensho Jujihou is the thrust kick after the pants rip. Seitei Jujiro is indeed the stretch plum

I have seen that land exactly once, though I don't think it led to a pinfall. I'm just used to it getting countered because it comes from a mile away!

Hoss Corncave
Feb 13, 2012

Lily Catts posted:

I have seen that land exactly once, though I don't think it led to a pinfall. I'm just used to it getting countered because it comes from a mile away!

That's fitting because when Souther does it to Kenshiro he also gets countered from a distance.

Which now has me hoping we get Taichi vs Kawada which ends when Kawada shoots a laser from his fingers at Taichi.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Are there....hairy eggs....?

Deathlove
Feb 20, 2003

Pillbug

Endless Mike posted:

Are there....hairy eggs....?

Yeah, they're usually Deez grade.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ganso Bomb
Oct 24, 2005

turn it all around

forkboy84 posted:

This is surprisingly forward thinking for a wrestler in training

I was on the DDP Plan, so I didn't start wrestling school until my 30s. Meant my brain was primed for critical thinking and my body was primed for critical discomfort.