Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

field balm
Feb 5, 2012

Man reading the feedback for this game on reddit and other places is making me feel insanely out of touch, or maybe it's just a generational thing? Common points like

-the reward isn't good enough for playing harder difficulties so I'll just play level 2
-the weeklies are too hard
-i have to play a certain way or level for the weeklies
-I can't finish all the penances in the first week
-doing the penances encourage bad play

While I agree that the penances are dumb, just... don't do the dumb ones? Don't do the weeklies if you don't want to? You're not actually missing out on anything. Imagine playing a difficulty that's less fun just because they don't reward you enough for having more fun?

I don't get it at all, I already have a job, I'm not gonna grind out dumb poo poo and I don't feel like I'm missing out. Shooting stuff is it's own reward!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DeathSandwich
Apr 24, 2008

I fucking hate puzzles.

Kaysette posted:

I think you’re the only one who thought it worked the first way. It’s real easy, you just have to not reload.

Nehru the Damaja posted:

What's the trick for five kills with the last shot in the mag for Marksman penance? Bolter? Plasma? (I assume it means five with one shot, and not killing one guy with your last shot five times through the mission, but who knows?) Managing plasma's ammo is a bastard and a half and I can only get it down to even numbers rather than 1. Bolter I can get there but not sure what it would take to drop five walkers with one shot.

Also, I keep seeing people talking Ogryn builds/strategy bringing up how one weapon or another automatically counts all strikes as heavy melee attacks. For which weapons is that true, and where is it documented?

@Kaysette: I think my point still stands.

@Nehru: As to best weapon to use for that feat. I did it with laspistol just shooting myself dry constantly, but easiest would be shotgun or revolver since you can reload those one bullet at a time, cancel the reload, and blow someone away.

explosivo
May 23, 2004

Fueled by Satan

People love bitching about stuff, for the love of god don't dare check the steam discussion forum.

Wheeee
Mar 11, 2001

When a tree grows, it is soft and pliable. But when it's dry and hard, it dies.

Hardness and strength are death's companions. Flexibility and softness are the embodiment of life.

That which has become hard shall not triumph.

For anyone curious, yes you can refund this on Steam prior to release regardless of how many hours you've played.

My refund was just processed in under an hour, as were some of my friends who bought this and are already over it.

Kaysette
Jan 5, 2009

~*Boston makes me*~
~*feel good*~

:wrongcity:

DeathSandwich posted:

@Kaysette: I think my point still stands.

You’re right!

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

I'm going to shoot my gun as little as possible with the zealot, penance or not

deep dish peat moss
Jul 27, 2006

Here is my case for braced autoguns as a viable long range weapon:
https://i.imgur.com/pmcfyE7.mp4
This isn't a fluke either, this is just my experience with using them at long range - it almost always goes like this.

Broken Cog
Dec 29, 2009

We're all friends here

pain

raverrn
Apr 5, 2005

Unidentified spacecraft inbound from delta line.

All Silpheed squadrons scramble now!

field balm posted:

While I agree that the penances are dumb, just... don't do the dumb ones?

While I agree with most of what you just said, some of the penances are required to advance the game. Like the Zealot one that gives you an armor set that has lit candles on the shoulder. You simply can't progress without it. The fit is too good.

hemale in pain
Jun 5, 2010

Phlegmish posted:

Which key did you end up picking? In Vermintide 2 I have jumping bound to shift, but obviously that's sprinting in Darktide.

Kept it to space like Kaddish did but put jump on Alt. I still keep messing the keys up but will eventually relearn.

Flavahbeast
Jul 21, 2001

Captain Oblivious posted:

Hmmm that has absolutely not been my experience with the flamer and I’ve been using it for some time now. Are you just never using the left click puff of flame?

I think it did work like that but was fixed a patch or two ago

ZombyDog
Jul 11, 2001

Ere to fix yer gubbinz
I finally got Abhor the Mutant. I just side stepped a charging mutant, and as he bounced of the wall I peppered him with some autogun rounds, I closed in switching to my eviscerator as he turned around, started my swing as he started his next charge and I hit my charge, scoring the kill, the penance and also unlocked the stupid looking cowl.

hemale in pain posted:

Kept it to space like Kaddish did but put jump on Alt. I still keep messing the keys up but will eventually relearn.
I've done the same, because mistiming my dodges and prancing about taking hits was getting old fast.

ZombyDog fucked around with this message at 01:14 on Nov 29, 2022

deep dish peat moss
Jul 27, 2006

field balm posted:

Man reading the feedback for this game on reddit and other places is making me feel insanely out of touch, or maybe it's just a generational thing? Common points like

-the reward isn't good enough for playing harder difficulties so I'll just play level 2
-the weeklies are too hard
-i have to play a certain way or level for the weeklies
-I can't finish all the penances in the first week
-doing the penances encourage bad play

While I agree that the penances are dumb, just... don't do the dumb ones? Don't do the weeklies if you don't want to? You're not actually missing out on anything. Imagine playing a difficulty that's less fun just because they don't reward you enough for having more fun?

I don't get it at all, I already have a job, I'm not gonna grind out dumb poo poo and I don't feel like I'm missing out. Shooting stuff is it's own reward!

Even other threads in this forum are very sour on this game and I don't understand because this is mechanically the best-feeling FPS I have ever played and I would argue the best looking game I have ever played (I'm sure Cyberpunk beats it in some technical aspects or whatever but the art direction and the use of effects in the thick of the action here is superb)

Enjoy posted:

Isn't rating more a quick indicator of value rather than a real weapon stat? It's the sum of the five bars, plus an amount for each property/trait from the rarity/colour

Damage is purely from the damage bar plus any modifiers from character and item properties

I do not believe this is true. I have nothing to base this on other than my own anecdotal experiences (and the confirmation of the two people I play with who said the game got infinitely easier after I told them this) but your overall damage dealt and damage taken is influenced by your total Rating value. For example, equipping a higher rating melee weapon will make your ranged weapon hit harder and will make you take less damage, even when you are not actively holding the melee weapon.

But that being said some weapon types are so good that they're worth using even if their rating is much lower than your other gear. IF you are actually using them. If you never swap to melee, then you absolutely want the highest rating melee weapon you can find no matter what type it is.

Since I haven't actually tested this theory I just went to the meat grinder.
Loadout 1: 422 rating Autogun. 405 rating Eviscerator. 240 rating from curios (all 100% defensive stats). 1067 total rating.
Gun does 156 damage per shot to a poxhound.

Loadout 2: 422 rating Autogun. 205 rating Heavy Sword. Curios all swapped out to green ones for 107 rating. 734 rating total.
Gun does 87 damage per shot to a poxhound. Same exact gun as the above test.

This is IIRC the same way it worked in Vermintide so it makes sense here. The same principle works in reverse to make a lower-rating weapon fairly viable if it's the one you're holding all the time, because it's being buffed up by the inflated rating on your other gear.

deep dish peat moss fucked around with this message at 01:28 on Nov 29, 2022

Jimbot
Jul 22, 2008

Do you get more cleave if you turn or dodge side-to-side when you swing a weapon? I can't tell if it works or not.

Edit: I love this game, bugs and horrible crap all. Getting disconnected/crashing is a pain in the rear end, especially towards the end where you can't rejoin and you lose out but the combat is so drat satisfying and the art direction is incredibly strong, I just can't stop. I know they're going to Fatshark it up too and take all the good stuff and nerf it to the levels of the trash and I'll still play the poo poo out of the game.

Will still use the force sword when they nerf it to the point where the activation causes your character to fart and each swing saps 10% of 1 wound per second up to 2% of health per minute after strike.

Jimbot fucked around with this message at 01:28 on Nov 29, 2022

Flavahbeast
Jul 21, 2001

deep dish peat moss posted:

Even other threads in this forum are very sour on this game and I don't understand because this is mechanically the best-feeling FPS I have ever played and I would argue the best looking game I have ever played (I'm sure Cyberpunk beats it in some technical aspects or whatever but the art direction and the use of effects in the thick of the action here is superb)

The disconnect/crash issues hit some people really hard, some setups basically can't play at all despite having great connections/hardware. Probably a third of the games Im in have 1+ people disappear halfway through, presumably due to a crash or disconnect. I'm having zero issues and I think the game is great

S.J.
May 19, 2008

Just who the hell do you think we are?

big cummers ONLY posted:

The comments say there is a drop down ledge above that spot. If there's literally no way for an enemy to get there without teleporting, I'd believe it, but idk if I'm convinced. Someone confirming there's no drop down above them would be enough to convince me. The monster closet shenanigans are clearly observable and some bullshit, though, for sure.

I've literally seen mobs teleport in out of thin air multiple times. Like literally watched them spawn. Not a monster closet or ledge, just the middle of a room.

NoEyedSquareGuy
Mar 16, 2009

Just because Liquor's dead, doesn't mean you can just roll this bitch all over town with "The Freedoms."

deep dish peat moss posted:

Thinking about all the WH40K games where lasguns have felt like shining a laser pointer compared to the satisfying crack of the lasguns in Darktide. So far the only letdown has been the Zealot's flamethrower though there's probably a case to be made for it as a crowd control weapon.

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

I'm not like other posters
It’s not complicated why this game is getting beat on hard. It’s got good fundamentals but it’s transparently incredibly unfinished even by Fatshark standards. The crashes are out of hand for a lot of people, the best ranged class is also the best melee class, weapon balance is non-existent, laughably straightforward things like “the basic crafting from the previous game” won’t be fully implemented by launch, the UI problems with bar graphs everyone has noted…

This game has been in development for quite a while and it still feels remarkably undercooked. They kinda brought this on themselves.

Sab Sabbington
Sep 18, 2016

In my restless dreams I see that town...

Flagstaff, Arizona

Jimbot posted:

Do you get more cleave if you turn or dodge side-to-side when you swing a weapon? I can't tell if it works or not.

Yes, as far as I can tell, unless they changed it for some reason. That's absolutely how it worked in VT2. Your weapon has hit frames as long as the attack animation is playing, so if you reposition or swing your camera around like a goofy rear end in a top hat you will hit more enemies with a cleave.

Exodee
Mar 30, 2011

Damp and depressing.
It must be a goon in its
natural habitat!
So here's a case where the Eviscerator is a better armor-killer compared to the Thunder Hammer:
https://i.imgur.com/wDSG0lK.mp4
Since the revved attack doesn't stick until it hits a sufficiently armored target, you can cleave through zombies and hit Maulers in one fell swoop. With the hammer I wouldn't have been able to pick off those Maulers that easily. (buff the hammer please Fatshark)

Also the reward for getting two grimoires on Heresy+ is so lovely, they're not worth it at all lol

Jimbot posted:

You don't get extra cleave (that's fixed based on weapons/attack types/etc.), but it can let you hit extra targets that are just out of reach. It's also a good idea to 180 swing every once in a while to check if there's anything behind you.

Sharkopath
May 27, 2009

It’s not complicated why this game is getting beat on hard. It’s got good fundamentals but it’s transparently incredibly unfinished even by Fatshark standards. The crashes are out of hand for a lot of people, the best ranged class is also the best melee class, weapon balance is non-existent, laughably straightforward things like “the basic crafting from the previous game” won’t be fully implemented by launch, the UI problems with bar graphs everyone has noted…

This game has been in development for quite a while and it still feels remarkably undercooked. They kinda brought this on themselves.

Seems like people mostly like it, to me.

field balm
Feb 5, 2012

raverrn posted:

While I agree with most of what you just said, some of the penances are required to advance the game. Like the Zealot one that gives you an armor set that has lit candles on the shoulder. You simply can't progress without it. The fit is too good.

Lmao. I guess I rolled vet and since they're all just different coloured pants/flak jackets I haven't really been bothered.

Pharmaskittle
Dec 17, 2007

arf arf put the money in the fuckin bag

raverrn posted:

even in death I still serve looks

Jerkface
May 21, 2001

HOW DOES IT FEEL TO BE DEAD, MOTHERFUCKER?

The last round penance just means getting 5 kills in a round with the last round its very easy with bolter.

I think some of the complaints about certain things like penances and weeklies and rewards per mission are justifiable. The game is positioning itself as a live service game. That comes with some rules between the developer and the players. The players are committing to spend money on your game long term (cosmetics, dlcs, etc ) and the game must respect your time at least a baseline amount.

Case in point:
You should be gaining something when level 30 for the XP that a mission gives - maybe convert it into dockets? Or provide prestige levels with some bonuses or whatever.
Currency should be shared between accounts so you can play what you want and buy up gear/cosmetics for any class
Weeklies should be shared between classes and some of them should be toned down - this goes back to respecting time. Currently they're not shared between classes and some of them require like 15-20 hours of gameplay in a week and you could have weeklies for every class? What?
Many of the penances are very difficult to achieve without griefing your teammates or requiring a group to help and that sucks! It just sucks!! This is a COOP game I dont want people griefing because they want to look cooler with cosmetics, and you put cosmetics in your game to get people interested and wanting to play

The obvious retort is "just don't do them!" but this is a live service game, they are putting these weekly challenges and penances in to get you to play the game! Part of that contract should be to respect your play time and the way the game is actually played. If they are saying "we want players to play this game for 12 hours a week" then make it so doing 4-5 sets of weeklies consumes 12 hours, not that doing 4 sets of weeklies consumes 60 hours lol Penances should be doable within a COOP environment. Like realistically they should be achievable within ~10ish hours of play? Probably? At least the first 2 levels of gear that doesnt require going up to 5 difficulty?

Its just basic stuff that games like Destiny have struggled with and addressed over time - learned lessons that any developer should already realized have been solved and act accordingly.

Jerkface fucked around with this message at 01:42 on Nov 29, 2022

Flavahbeast
Jul 21, 2001

Jerkface posted:

You should be gaining something when level 30 for the XP that a mission gives - maybe convert it into dockets? Or provide prestige levels with some bonuses or whatever

level 30 Curios can roll +exp perks, so I wouldn't be surprised if something that uses xp past 30 is in the works, but I also wouldn't be surprised if it isn't

big cummers ONLY
Jul 17, 2005

I made a series of bad investments. Tarantula farm. The bottom fell out of the market.

Exodee posted:

You don't get extra cleave (that's fixed based on weapons/attack types/etc.), but it can let you hit extra targets that are just out of reach. It's also a good idea to 180 swing every once in a while to check if there's anything behind you.

To clarify because it's kind of confusing: you can extend the arc of your swing by swinging your camera too. But there is a cap on how many bodies you will actually be able to "cleave" through.

Jimbot
Jul 22, 2008

Exodee posted:

So here's a case where the Eviscerator is a better armor-killer compared to the Thunder Hammer:
Since the revved attack doesn't stick until it hits a sufficiently armored target, you can cleave through zombies and hit Maulers in one fell swoop. With the hammer I wouldn't have been able to pick off those Maulers that easily. (buff the hammer please Fatshark).

I'm surprised, now having used the force sword, the thunder hammer's activation doesn't behave the same way.

Exodee
Mar 30, 2011

Damp and depressing.
It must be a goon in its
natural habitat!

Jimbot posted:

I'm surprised, now having used the force sword, the thunder hammer's activation doesn't behave the same way.
Nope, the hammer discharges on the very first target it hits and that was that. No cleave, no collateral, nothing, so any lovely zombie is enough to stop it in its tracks. Edit: Oh wait I read your post wrong, yeah I agree it should work more like the sword, especially activation-speed wise.

raverrn
Apr 5, 2005

Unidentified spacecraft inbound from delta line.

All Silpheed squadrons scramble now!

Exodee posted:

Nope, the hammer discharges on the very first target it hits and that was that. No cleave, no collateral, nothing, so any lovely zombie is enough to stop it in its tracks. Edit: Oh wait I read your post wrong, yeah I agree it should work more like the sword, especially activation-speed wise.

Well, no, not nothing. It also locks you into a recoil animation so you can't block the other eight zombies.

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

I will never go out of my way to do a penance or a weekly goal thingy. I never care about that stuff in games. I'm going to play to have fun and the progression will either come with it or it won't. I literally cannot understand people going to the penance list and trying to do the more ridiculous ones. My brain does not grok it.

Jimbot
Jul 22, 2008

I'll have to get that silly nonsense Zealot penance before they patch it. That armor is rad and no way will I ever accomplish that one without cheesing it (and even cheesing it is kinda difficult). There are several like this and I don't understand why they're so difficult. Even people with a combine playtime of 500k hours of the tide games will have trouble with some of them.

deep dish peat moss
Jul 27, 2006

somehow despite all of these minor complaints I have already played more hours of this game than I did of Vermintide and I am still playing this game, and it doesn't even release for another two days.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Internet Explorer posted:

I will never go out of my way to do a penance or a weekly goal thingy. I never care about that stuff in games. I'm going to play to have fun and the progression will either come with it or it won't. I literally cannot understand people going to the penance list and trying to do the more ridiculous ones. My brain does not grok it.

It's fun to play like an rear end in a top hat

Tagichatn
Jun 7, 2009

People want their characters to look cool, other people are completionists.

Kaysette
Jan 5, 2009

~*Boston makes me*~
~*feel good*~

:wrongcity:
I need more scrolls and wax seals on my top. Only reason I care about cheevos.

Russian Remoulade
Feb 22, 2009
I mean, wasn't Fatshark's justification for not going with premade characters that you would get to make your own mans and customize them to your liking? Seems like people are taking that to heart. There aren't exactly a ton of cosmetics at present and I can't blame people for badly wanting to graduate from red potato sack to red armored potato sack.

Kith
Sep 17, 2009

You never learn anything
by doing it right.

Exodee posted:

Try it on Heresy (with an appropiate power level weapon of course) and it'll take forever + half your magazine to take down a flamer guy 30 meters away. They just don't scale up very well against tougher enemies.

I have tried it on that difficulty, and it definitely isn't that hard if you use Focus Fire to extend your range and accuracy. You might be having difficulties reproducing that behavior because A) you probably don't play like me, who saves Focused Fire for thos exact situations and B) from the recording you posted, you appear to be using them on a Zealot rather than a Veteran.

The Braced Autogun family in the hands of a Veteran is, in my opinion, one of the most versatile and effective weapon families in the game. It's got a ton of ammo, it handles both armored and unarmored normals, and Focused Fire gives it the additional punch it needs to take out specials. If you get your hands on a Graia pattern, the braced stance increases your DPS drastically, which can then be combined with Focused Fire and the Crucian Roulette perk to make a boss's health evaporate.

S.J.
May 19, 2008

Just who the hell do you think we are?

Is the Critical Bonus on the atrox VII axe a bonus to crit damage or crit chance? I stg Fatshark

rideANDxORdie
Jun 11, 2010
Which braced autogun and which accatran lasgun do people like on veteran? I hate the way some weapons have different uses/feels but only a small change in name (MKII vs MK VII) or whatever. I'm getting close to 30 on veteran and haven't really engaged with the upgrading crafting but want to start setting aside good versions of these guns to upgrade eventually

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

big cummers ONLY
Jul 17, 2005

I made a series of bad investments. Tarantula farm. The bottom fell out of the market.

I will ignore them for months and then I'm ready to try weird poo poo. But this is how I've always been with games I love. I would do no-boss-weapon runs of Mega Man X when I was 10, final fantasy 1 with four white mages, beating Diablo with a paladin that only uses bows. If your team can't carry you while you do whatever dumbass poo poo you need to do for some new pants, they don't deserve to play with you