Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute
Joker and Makoto essentially co-lead the group, with Makoto being the logical brains and Joker being the emotional heart. Joker needs Makoto since he's not immune to being a brain dead moron on occasion, and likewise Makoto needs Joker because she's not immune to giving into despair or losing sight of the group's higher purpose. It would be really nice if Joker was less of a silent protag to really hammer this dynamic home but self inserts gotta self insert.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

lunar detritus
May 6, 2009

Yoshizawa's rank 10 is very charming

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
since they pretty much go by the phansite posts from summer onwards, the co-lead for the PTs is actually Mishima

goethe.cx
Apr 23, 2014

akechi/joker is the top fanfic pairing. fujoshis, man

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute
it is pretty funny that the phansite is instrumental to the group and Mishima gets zero respect for it, like even as everybody is constantly scrolling through it in Hawaii everybody whines about how Mishima won't shut the gently caress up about it.

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

Good, gently caress Mishima

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

goethe.cx posted:

Sounds like they have a better read on the game than most.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
Mishima is almost worse than Teddy

I've had royal for a while but never played past the intro until now. I didn't realize just how many little things they added that make it so much less of a pain. And the extra money at the beginning so I can just ignore money grinding is awesome

Space Cadet Omoly
Jan 15, 2014

~Groovy~

Janitor Ludwich IV posted:

if it's unethical to date someone who therapises you why is the school therapist always trying to lure children into his office with treats, especially the main character

Spoiler: Because he's not a very good therapist.

Lord_Magmar
Feb 24, 2015

"Welcome to pound town, Slifer slacker!"

Yoshizawa is Cinderella and Joker is Prince Charming.

Akechi/Joker is the better pairing though.

HootTheOwl
May 13, 2012

Hootin and shootin

Space Cadet Omoly posted:

Spoiler: Because he's not a very good therapist.

Has anyone ELSE tried rewriting reality to simple erase trauma?

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute

goethe.cx posted:

If Joker or Akechi were genderswapped it would be the top het pairing instead. This is because Akechi/Joker is good actually.

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
het pairings, are fail

Pwnstar
Dec 9, 2007

Who wants some waffles?

It's a very simple gag but I still love Akechi trying to be cool by casually grabbing your food but accidentally eating the ultra spicy piece.

Space Cadet Omoly
Jan 15, 2014

~Groovy~

Akechi sucks, but in a fun way.

Mailer
Nov 4, 2009

Have you accepted The Void as your lord and savior?

Ytlaya posted:

I've weirdly found myself almost never recruiting demons on this playthrough. I just fuse them all (which is easier because of how easy it is to get money in Royal). I don't think I've recruited a single demon using dialogue since the first Palace.

Early game you're hard limited by level, so unless you completely ignore recruiting and Momentos you wind up just being capped. Mid-game, with access to endless money and the Strength fuse-above-your-level thing, means anything you recruit is probably three fuses away from being something you might not have. Before I was 70 I was rocking all level 85+ personas. I'm halfway through January with a 90-something percent compendium just from fusing as much as I can and that bright red NEW tag is becoming increasingly rare.

I don't really have an objection to it. Despite their attempts at making it less random the negotiation is still pretty drat random. Eventually, on both versions, you're running over everything anyway and just praying you can fuse something new.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

Feels Villeneuve posted:

het pairings, are fail

Jokers bumble profile says "poly and partnered, here for the gays and theys"

Morphogenic96
Oct 30, 2013

HootTheOwl posted:

Has anyone ELSE tried rewriting reality to simple erase trauma?

Naturally the therapist is the one who most requires therapy.

ZepiaEltnamOberon
Oct 25, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
drat I think I might be overleveled, I'm just instakilling the enemies in the December Palace.

Also for some reason I can't get Futunshi or whatever to show up while fusing. Also couldn't get Cu Chulain to show up when fusing the Faith Personas a tier above and under him together for some reason, even though it worked with Network fusion.

Fusioning is confusioning.

Dramatika
Aug 1, 2002

THE BANK IS OPEN
I'm loving the hell out of this game - been itching to play it since I finished P4G when it was first released for PC. Unfortunately, I hosed up and locked in the Makoto romance before I realized that Haru is the absolute best. Her showtime animation with Makoto is the best, the "adieu" AOA splash is the best, everything owns.

Dumb question (mid-January) - when my rank 10 dudes start asking to hang out after school and I'm assuming they do the final Persona upgrade - do I need to talk to them on the day they come up to me and ask to hang out, or can I just do it whenever I have time? Also, are there enough free days to get all of them upgraded, hit mementos to finish up one quest, take Sumire to 10, and have four last second levels? Yosuke is still at 9, Tower is at 7, but everything else is maxed,

Hunt11
Jul 24, 2013

Grimey Drawer

Dramatika posted:

I'm loving the hell out of this game - been itching to play it since I finished P4G when it was first released for PC. Unfortunately, I hosed up and locked in the Makoto romance before I realized that Haru is the absolute best. Her showtime animation with Makoto is the best, the "adieu" AOA splash is the best, everything owns.

Dumb question (mid-January) - when my rank 10 dudes start asking to hang out after school and I'm assuming they do the final Persona upgrade - do I need to talk to them on the day they come up to me and ask to hang out, or can I just do it whenever I have time? Also, are there enough free days to get all of them upgraded, hit mementos to finish up one quest, take Sumire to 10, and have four last second levels? Yosuke is still at 9, Tower is at 7, but everything else is maxed,

You can do it whenever you want.

Mailer
Nov 4, 2009

Morphogenic96 posted:

Naturally the therapist is the one who most requires therapy.

I kinda wanted to hold off on it for a few days until I'm truly finished with the game but this new ending segment feels a little hamfisted. Like I'd get it if it was Sumire - a young girl so tormented that she went down the weirdest possible path - would be naive enough to think as long as she can just fix this one thing the world would be perfect and that should apply to everyone. Maruki doesn't get a pass on this. In his years of research he never once stopped to think about the What If God Answered Every Wish problem? He never considered what would happen when life poo poo on someone more than once? Happiness for two people meaning conflicting things? He got some random high school kid to consult with him but just skipped all the thinking aside from that?

The PT crew are equally baffling on this. There's this existential question of dicking with free will sitting there but that's the Phantom Thief job description so welp. There's definitely a spot for are we the baddies? to come up. Sure Maruki needs to be stopped but we should also put down this power as it is inherently just as bad. Instead of any of this, the reason they all jump to is (paraphrasing) "We're just not gonna play by your rules, man" and that's... it. They're effectively just attacking the guy who did their job better.

goethe.cx
Apr 23, 2014

Haru in the third semester is particularly sad, since in the altered reality her father is not only still alive, but is the caring and attentive dad he never was to her. It's very :smith:

ZepiaEltnamOberon
Oct 25, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
I'm wondering if I hosed up with my members' skills.

Like I removed healing from Ann cause I figured I could replace her healing with items.

I took Makoto's single Physical skill away instead of getting rid of her, uh, status effect.

Haru is jam packed with both Psy & Gun Boost/Amps, so all she has is her Psy spells, her Gun skill, and Evade Nuke.

Also not too sure how Boost, Amp, and Magic Ability work together.

Vargs
Mar 27, 2010

Started playing Strikers and while I'm not sure if the gameplay style is for me, it's hard not to get pumped when that Last Surprise remix is playing.

hobbez
Mar 1, 2012

Don't care. Just do not care. We win, you lose. You do though, you seem to care very much

I'm going to go ride my mountain bike, later nerds.

ZepiaEltnamOberon posted:

drat I think I might be overleveled, I'm just instakilling the enemies in the December Palace.

Yea idk I’m only on the second palace but I have yet to really encounter anything very challenging. If I make a mistake it’s punished pretty severely, the enemies hit hard, but I can usually wipe them in a turn or two so it doesn’t matter all that much

I’m only on normal difficulty though so maybe it’s my fault. Tbh I’m more enjoying this game for the chill escapism anyway so whatever I don’t feel the need to pump things up too much

Paracaidas
Sep 24, 2016
Consistently Tedious!

I've not found the game to be so unforgiving that you need to optimize every little thing (or, in fact, most things), so I wouldn't sweat it much so long as it doesn't get in the way of you playing in a way you find fun :)

That said, you can restore forgotten thieves skills at the church.

ajkalan
Aug 17, 2011

Like I removed healing from Ann cause I figured I could replace her healing with items.

I took Makoto's single Physical skill away instead of getting rid of her, uh, status effect.

Haru is jam packed with both Psy & Gun Boost/Amps, so all she has is her Psy spells, her Gun skill, and Evade Nuke.

I've made pretty much the same moves and feel no worse for the wear. Makoto doesn't learn a physical skill stronger than medium anyway, so I gave her an accessory letting her use Gigantomachia and that was that.

Mailer
Nov 4, 2009

I did all those things, except for Haru where I removed Psy Boost for... Debilitate or something. You didn't screw up and you'll never need to min/max hard. The real super tryhard death machine builds all require Jazz Club skills and building up everyone would take a bunch of NG+ cycles anyway. I'm perfectly fine with each character being a single damage type cranked up and maybe one misc support skill.

As far as I know, unless it specifically says it doesn't stack (Counter, Counterstrike, etc) then passives stack multiplicatively until they cap at 2x. So for a persona all in on nuclear damage you'd want Nuke Boost and Nuke Amp and Magic Ability to hit the cap.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

Vargs posted:

Started playing Strikers and while I'm not sure if the gameplay style is for me, it's hard not to get pumped when that Last Surprise remix is playing.

A version of Royal but the palaces play like Strikers would be so freaking good

Sapozhnik
Jan 2, 2005

Nap Ghost
Took the opportunity to start a second playthrough on PC on Merciless and it feels pretty well tuned. I had to make several attempts at the first palace boss and even had to go back and grind a bit in the palace but I think that's because I was sneaking past the red shadows instead of fighting them. You are very clearly supposed to get everyone to level 11 and gain all the skills that unlock with it but once that's in hand it went pretty smoothly. Would be nice if there was a list of required levels for each boss somewhere.

Merciless definitely keeps you on your toes and kills you the moment you get sloppy but it hasn't required any metagaming or nontrivial optimization yet. Just enough bite to make victories feel earned. I'd recommend it for anybody who has already played through either version of the game at least once.

Also drat I still haven't got over how lovely the uncapped framerate looks :aaa:

hobbez
Mar 1, 2012

Don't care. Just do not care. We win, you lose. You do though, you seem to care very much

I'm going to go ride my mountain bike, later nerds.
I will say immediately after saying normal was a breeze I got popped by a security guard in Madarme's palace before I could ambush and the group basically one shotted joker, forcing me to re-run the entire section.

poo poo can definitely go wrong pretty fast if you gently caress up

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

That's my experience with all Nu Persona games on the highest difficulty in the early game. Perhaps 3 more than 4 but you absolutely do not want an enemy to get a turn at all or someone will probably die.

I dunno what, if any, gameplay changes they'll make to the P3P port but it's the last Persona game I played a decent bit of. It's pretty brutal at the start.

I'm still annoyed enemies weak to Light/Dark will dodge Hama/Mudo pretty regularly, while whenever they used them on my party, they almost always hit. Of course, P3P tweaked the Tired mechanic so it's no longer a real problem.

mmkay
Oct 21, 2010

Just started 3rd semester in Royal yesterday and :stare: jesus christ Kasumi, I didn't expect that at all. Also Akechi being more blood frenzy sure is something (especially in combination with his Showtime with Joker)

YaketySass
Jan 15, 2019

Blind Idiot Dog

NikkolasKing posted:

Going from P4, where the idea was that Shadows are a distorted caricature of who you are, to P5 where the message seems to be these are who in fact they really are, was always strange to me.

I like that the rules change a little every game but here I'm pretty sure the common tread is repression. Shadows are your own unconscious narrative you can't accept, they only have a distant relationship to true and false or right and wrong.

The big exception here is the Bank Palace guy, who is seemingly exactly the same personality on the inside as the one he projects on the outside. But then he's easily the flattest antagonist of the lot so I'm willing to ignore him to fit the theory.

Weird Pumpkin
Oct 7, 2007

YaketySass posted:

I like that the rules change a little every game but here I'm pretty sure the common tread is repression. Shadows are your own unconscious narrative you can't accept, they only have a distant relationship to true and false or right and wrong.

The big exception here is the Bank Palace guy, who is seemingly exactly the same personality on the inside as the one he projects on the outside. But then he's easily the flattest antagonist of the lot so I'm willing to ignore him to fit the theory.

Aren't the palaces and treasures basically just obsession to the point of it being a twisted impulse? And the shadows are just the manifested part of themselves that fuel that obsession

Like it's how they see themselves as justified because they're the "King" of the school or the artist businessman, or I guess in Kaneshiro's case the stereotypical money obsessed Mafia guy?

Honestly Kaneshiro seems like the odd one out of a lot of things. Feels like they added him in late in the development to give Makoto a reason to join earlier or something

HootTheOwl
May 13, 2012

Hootin and shootin

mmkay posted:

Just started 3rd semester in Royal yesterday and :stare: jesus christ Kasumi, I didn't expect that at all. Also Akechi being more blood frenzy sure is something (especially in combination with his Showtime with Joker)

Akechi also does all the work in the showtime and Joker just shoots the enemy at the end

DLC Inc
Jun 1, 2011

Mirello posted:

this is such poor writing imo. same thing with ryuji, and hell, most of the phantom thieves. party member s-links should flesh out their chracters, not be totally contradictory. ryuji in his s link is so chill and has such a good head on his shoulders, and in the story is unbelievably stupid.

makoto is a great example as well I think. other than the fact that her introductory palace has nothing to do with her, her awakening scene is so cool. but then right afterwards she basically goes right back to being a goodie two shoes. constantly badgering people about doing well on their grades. then her s link is also not really about her, where she learns that actually being a total busy body towards random students you don't know is the correct thing to do. it's very oddly done. I feel like her original palace boss was supposed to be the principal. that would've made much more sense, especially with his (nonsensical) prominance in the story. I still don't understand why this random school principal and school are part of the biggggg conspiracy.

late to this a bit but on replay of the game via Royal it really has hit me just how poorly/stupidly the game was written or constructed and makes me understand why some SMT fans legit view Persona as the babybrain game of the overarching IP

Tired Moritz
Mar 25, 2012

wish Lowtax would get tired of YOUR POSTS

(n o i c e)
tbh it's mostly p5 that has that problem. p4 have a dumb mystery but the cast is mostly stupid (literal) teenagers anyway and the p1/p2/p3 cast act like normal people.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dr Kool-AIDS
Mar 26, 2004

It's kind of amazing that Persona 5 ended up being as good as it is once you realize what a stitched together mess of discarded ideas it is.