Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Antonymous
Apr 4, 2009

Tsai's films can go from slow, almost dead silent scenes of really sad and lonely people trying to figure themselves out, that seem to be going nowhere, to this

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ak27LeQJ64I

and back. the whiplash is so good. And they always end with an absolutely insane sexual and/or romantic act to relieve the loneliness that also stands in stark contrast to how slow and subdued the rest of the film is. They are very slow but it pays off

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Soup du Jour
Sep 8, 2011

I always knew I'd die with a headache.

tristeham posted:

Winslow Erik Wright is a writer and activist whose interests include disability rights, the struggle for authenticity under capitalism, and participatory democracy. Neurodivergent and disabled, he lives in government-subsidized housing with his cat, Peanut, thinking of ways to make the world a better place for all creatures. Follow him on Twitter.

what are the odds that if I click on this guys twitter I’ll find him talking about how the library cat is ableist

loquacius
Oct 21, 2008

I still haven't seen Andor but I'm not sure "Winslow Erik Wright" is the best source on this particular topic

loquacius
Oct 21, 2008

to me, nothing says "this guy is probably not jewish" like his middle name being Erik, with a K

Serf
May 5, 2011

grate deceiver posted:

But that wasn't actually Mark Hamill I think? His body doesn't match anymore, Luke in that scene barely speaks and his voice probably doesn't sound the same either, so I'm guessing they got a stunt guy and permission from Hamill and just straight up deepfaked it.

from what i've seen they de-aged his face and voice, but yeah someone else provided the body

tbh they should stop doing this poo poo, but if you insist on going back to that well just re-cast these people. same thing with indiana jones. i love pulp stories, and those movies are some of my favorites, but i don't want to see ancient harrison ford pretending he's still got it. recast that guy, or better yet just make a new character because no one can hold a candle to ford. lara croft and nathan drake exist in the same mold, just make up a new person

HashtagGirlboss
Jan 4, 2005

Anyone else getting a captcha prompt for YouTube embeds all the sudden?

A Buttery Pastry
Sep 4, 2011

Delicious and Informative!
:3:

mastershakeman posted:

Overbearing mothers can only be Jewish - salon

Apparently livia soprano was an antisemitic stereotype since syrils mom is basically a carbon copy of her
modern italians and ashkenazi jews share a common ancestry, so she was antisemitic-by-proxy

KomradeX
Oct 29, 2011

Serf posted:

from what i've seen they de-aged his face and voice, but yeah someone else provided the body

tbh they should stop doing this poo poo, but if you insist on going back to that well just re-cast these people. same thing with indiana jones. i love pulp stories, and those movies are some of my favorites, but i don't want to see ancient harrison ford pretending he's still got it. recast that guy, or better yet just make a new character because no one can hold a candle to ford. lara croft and nathan drake exist in the same mold, just make up a new person

Yeah but people not see new IP, people know and will see old IP so only old IP gets made. Remember capitalism is a sysytem that encourages new thinking and innovation

Cpt_Obvious
Jun 18, 2007

A Buttery Pastry posted:

modern italians and ashkenazi jews share a common ancestry, so she was antisemitic-by-proxy

....Africa?

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

what I really love about the criterion channel is that it actually feels curated to some degree. every movie I've watched on it has been good or, at the very least, interesting.

mawarannahr
May 21, 2019

Srice posted:

what I really love about the criterion channel is that it actually feels curated to some degree. every movie I've watched on it has been good or, at the very least, interesting.

yes everything I’ve seen looks good or part of a set (like, a directors whole output including the stinkers). I might just cancel the other crap and become more cultured while sitting in the same place watching the same screen.

Substandard
Oct 16, 2007

3rd street for life

Srice posted:

I had Criterion Channel back when it came out, and it is pretty good, but I love trash. Unfortunately Criterion are not doing the type of work they've left to Vinegar Syndrome, like 4k restorations of Texas Chainsaw Massacre 2 and Roadhouse.

Substandard has issued a correction as of 00:54 on Nov 29, 2022

MeatwadIsGod
Sep 30, 2004

Foretold by Gyromancy
In addition to the other Criterion recs, definitely watch some Satyajit Ray, Larisa Shepitko, and Francesco Rosi

theflyingexecutive
Apr 22, 2007

Serf posted:

they de-aged him. they've basically perfected their ghoulish tech they tried out in rogue one and soon actors will never be able to leave roles or truly die

they de-aged a photo double of him, doubly hilarious because the guy they cast looks exactly like young Mark Hamill, just blowing millions of dollars to make a creepy fake version of someone they already have

Atrocious Joe
Sep 2, 2011

Disney was ready to just recast actors but then Solo failed to live up to expectations. Any decision made during the production of Solo was therefore reversed. Recasting was over and digital de-aging was the new way forward.

Alden Ehrenreich still hasn't had a film role since Solo and his next movie is apparently Cocaine Bear.

Teriyaki Hairpiece
Dec 29, 2006

I'm nae the voice o' the darkened thistle, but th' darkened thistle cannae bear the sight o' our Bonnie Prince Bernie nae mair.
I saw The Menu and it was super fun

Serf
May 5, 2011

Atrocious Joe posted:

Disney was ready to just recast actors but then Solo failed to live up to expectations. Any decision made during the production of Solo was therefore reversed. Recasting was over and digital de-aging was the new way forward.

Alden Ehrenreich still hasn't had a film role since Solo and his next movie is apparently Cocaine Bear.

it turns out not just anyone can replace one of the most charismatic actors ever

Mameluke
Aug 2, 2013

by Fluffdaddy

Srice posted:

Chungking Express has Faye Wong secretly going into a guy's apartment while he's working so she can move stuff around. It owns.

Chungking Express is naked copaganda soz

Faye Wong doesn't know what cops do to their partners

uber_stoat
Jan 21, 2001

Pillbug

Knight
Dec 23, 2000

SPACE-A-HOLIC
Taco Defender

Mameluke posted:

Chungking Express is naked copaganda soz

Faye Wong doesn't know what cops do to their partners
Tony Leung has been a lot of cops

Jazerus
May 24, 2011

is the implication that this is supposed to be a downgrade role from solo? because i'm not really seeing it

Femur
Jan 10, 2004
I REALLY NEED TO SHUT THE FUCK UP

Serf posted:

it turns out not just anyone can replace one of the most charismatic actors ever

The rumors they were throwing out back then completely hosed him and the attress, through I guess she had higher to fall. All because they couldn't control their dog.

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

new indiana jones looks great

Atrocious Joe
Sep 2, 2011

For some reason the Marvel Star Wars comic authors decided that Emilia Clarke's character from Solo is the coolest person in the galaxy. There's been like three miniseries about how that character is the one person who scares the Emperor. She can beat Darth Vader in a sword fight, is immune to mind reading, and has a whole fleet of warships. This isn't a Solo tie-in either, this is the storyline happening right now.

Was there a segment of Star Wars fans demanding more Qi'ra?

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

Do not trust in hope- it will betray you! Only faith and hatred sustain.

Femur posted:

The rumors they were throwing out back then completely hosed him and the attress, through I guess she had higher to fall. All because they couldn't control their dog.

its also really funny bc they were basically pretending he was literally his character from hail caesar (which he's pretty good in!)

uber_stoat
Jan 21, 2001

Pillbug
would that it were so simple.

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

https://twitter.com/DUALIPA/status/1284928447912050688?t=-mDLGHg-UkmJrUk-IxnCsQ&s=19

We stan a nationalist queen

Atrocious Joe
Sep 2, 2011

Atlantic Council has stepped up it's op game in recent years

https://twitter.com/DUALIPA/status/1459635171167064066?s=20&t=1C9yBcrWcFRVINeZuUDRLQ

War and Pieces
Apr 24, 2022

DID NOT VOTE FOR FETTERMAN
Let her play Cleopatra

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

Antonymous
Apr 4, 2009

Hey Vsauce, Michael here

Some Guy TT
Aug 30, 2011
Probation
Can't post for 2 hours!
so are people actually trying to cancel bach for having too many kids or did tar use this as a plot point because of how absurd it sounds

Justin Tyme
Feb 22, 2011

so according to the author the actress that plays that mallcop's mom shouldn't get any work because she's "too jewish presenting", very woke

McCloud
Oct 27, 2005

Atrocious Joe posted:

For some reason the Marvel Star Wars comic authors decided that Emilia Clarke's character from Solo is the coolest person in the galaxy. There's been like three miniseries about how that character is the one person who scares the Emperor. She can beat Darth Vader in a sword fight, is immune to mind reading, and has a whole fleet of warships. This isn't a Solo tie-in either, this is the storyline happening right now.

Was there a segment of Star Wars fans demanding more Qi'ra?

No, just sounds like someone took a liking to the character and decided to go full Mary Sue

A Buttery Pastry
Sep 4, 2011

Delicious and Informative!
:3:

Cpt_Obvious posted:

....Africa?
Italy, 7000BC

Some Guy TT
Aug 30, 2011
Probation
Can't post for 2 hours!

mawarannahr posted:

I kept going with Jarmusch and put on Night on Earth (1991) which starts with a really young, boyish Wino giving a taxi ride to some old Hollywood star. It’s just vignettes in a cab but there’s some great dialogue.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=bgi1qBgi5sA

this is the most unsurprising film I’ve seen by jarmusch so far. I think he is “directorly” in the way a painter can be painterly, but avoids self parody in the way of Wes Anderson. one of the ways he does this is by branching out into different genres. after seeing a few of his movies, you might be able to tell from some things that you’re watching a movie by him, but it’s not knocking you over the head. I think the movie is unsurprising because it’s a concept that I’ve seen done many times in the general art house category, but also because it has almost nothing but dialogue about stuff happening off screen — often the best part of all his movies.

whoa i actually remember seeing this movie it was decades ago and i only remember two of the vignettes the opener about the agent trying to recruit the cab driver who just goes nah id rather be a mechanic and the closer about the blind woman who keeps getting mad at the cab driver for thinking he can get away with poo poo just because shes blind

i imagine the other three vignettes i didnt spoil are about as interesting but since ive seen this movie and i havent seen chungking express i guess ill watch chungking express instead

Bear Retrieval Unit
Nov 5, 2009

Mudslide Experiment

Atrocious Joe posted:

is that a chewbacca spin-off?

Maximo Roboto
Feb 4, 2012

McCloud posted:

No, just sounds like someone took a liking to the character and decided to go full Mary Sue

So then the question is who would win in a fight, her or Ahsoka?

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dT0kexzmU7A

I'm just a smol bean CIA agent uwu

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Frosted Flake
Sep 13, 2011

Semper Shitpost Ubique

This sucks.