Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

FlocksOfMice
Feb 3, 2009

mbt posted:

lol where is this?

There's a water cave along the river just south of Vivec on the mainland on the uh east side I think, has a fun quest where you to go Sheo's plane for a bit and scrabble around in confusing fun house maze. The spear of the jock is in there to help you jump up a rotated room and you can get the wabbajack for completing it, but afaik it has no scripts or enchantments.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shibawanko
Feb 13, 2013

my endgame outfit is usually a plain black robe, gondoliers hat and a single pauldron for style

FlocksOfMice
Feb 3, 2009
Monochrome shirt and pants, ashfall straw hat, onion scarf, pauldron and gauntlet on the right, the only color I wear being a bright red colovian left glove

mbt
Aug 13, 2012

FlocksOfMice posted:

There's a water cave along the river just south of Vivec on the mainland on the uh east side I think, has a fun quest where you to go Sheo's plane for a bit and scrabble around in confusing fun house maze. The spear of the jock is in there to help you jump up a rotated room and you can get the wabbajack for completing it, but afaik it has no scripts or enchantments.

thank you. the spear has been drawn and quartered

Lunchmeat Larry
Nov 3, 2012

lol rip

Guildenstern Mother
Mar 31, 2010

Why walk when you can ride?

Shibawanko posted:

my endgame outfit is usually a plain black robe, gondoliers hat and a single pauldron for style

There's a great mod that lets you go take a quiz on vivec canton locations to become an officially licensed gondolier and then gives you the outfit as a reward.

Node
May 20, 2001

KICKED IN THE COOTER
:dings:
Taco Defender

Guildenstern Mother posted:

There's a great mod that lets you go take a quiz on vivec canton locations to become an officially licensed gondolier and then gives you the outfit as a reward.

Does it let you work as a gondolier, and let you taxi people from canton to canton for five septims? Because that would be neat. gently caress being the nerewhatever I just want to work minimum wage in Vivec.

Guildenstern Mother
Mar 31, 2010

Why walk when you can ride?
If it did I would have been making GBS threads up the thread demanding it's inclusion at the very top of the OP with sirens and blingee gifs.

Lunchmeat Larry
Nov 3, 2012

STEER past the cantons
And SLOW down for Bretons
I SLAM down the oars on my gondola

Shibawanko
Feb 13, 2013

imo the gondoliers hat should be earned through an honorable right of passage, by picking a gondolier and hewing him down on the street

Node
May 20, 2001

KICKED IN THE COOTER
:dings:
Taco Defender

Shibawanko posted:

imo the gondoliers hat should be earned through an honorable right of passage, by picking a gondolier and hewing him down on the street

Mods??????

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

Node posted:

Mods??????

Aside from that mod, how the gently caress else are you able to get the hat?

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

mbt posted:

lol where is this?

Somewhere on the river thirr, little cave with a guy who worships sheogorath, you go through a series of crazy rooms and one of them has "the jock's lance" which has drain personality, magicka, and silence, but 5 restore fatigue and 30 spear skill and jumping enchantment, you need it to complete one of the rooms which has a jumping puzzle you (probably) can't do otherwise, the end reward is supposedly wabbajack but it just appears to be a normal but expensive staff.

It's a really neat little dungeon but the spear is by far the most useful reward because I've just been running around with it as a mobility aid. Also tbh the inherent skill makes it among the more effective weapons too because it hits far more often than others even if it does very little damage.

OwlFancier fucked around with this message at 22:01 on Nov 28, 2022

mbt
Aug 13, 2012

OwlFancier posted:

Somewhere on the river thirr, little cave with a guy who worships sheogorath, you go through a series of crazy rooms and one of them has "the jock's lance" which has drain personality, magicka, and silence, but 5 restore fatigue and 30 spear skill and jumping enchantment, you need it to complete one of the rooms which has a jumping puzzle you (probably) can't do otherwise, the end reward is supposedly wabbajack but it just appears to be a normal but expensive staff.

It's a really neat little dungeon.

apparently it has a massive enchanting capacity. also the scripted version wasn't attached correctly. maybe that'll be fixed at some point

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Ahh that could be useful then, I admit I didn't actually know if it did anything scripted because the brief time I carried it I couldn't actualy hit anything with it because I have no blunt skill.

Very happy with the spear though, although I also wish I had some soul gems for the two golden saints that show up in the dungeon, presumably weakened.

Shibawanko
Feb 13, 2013

Skwirl posted:

Aside from that mod, how the gently caress else are you able to get the hat?

there is no other way to get it. you pick a gondolier, kill him and take his hat

mbt
Aug 13, 2012

Shibawanko posted:

there is no other way to get it. you pick a gondolier, kill him and take his hat

disintegrate armor, calm spell, pickpocket

Lunchmeat Larry
Nov 3, 2012

If a gondolier loses his hat he drowns himself in the canal out of shame anyway

Shibawanko
Feb 13, 2013

mbt posted:

disintegrate armor, calm spell, pickpocket

no, that's cruel

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

Shibawanko posted:

no, that's cruel

but not a real gondolier's hat (that's cruel)

SniperWoreConverse
Mar 20, 2010

Gun Saliva
Console yourself

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

this kills the gondolier

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

I feel like whoever built necrom looked at vivec's approach to urban planning and said "hold my sujamma"

It looks very cool but my god is it oversized and a pain in the arse to navigate, especially as the only thing I have used it for is the silt strider > boat connection.

If there was a man who would move me between the silt strider and the docks he would be the richest man in morrowind.

WhiskeyWhiskers
Oct 14, 2013

"هذا ليس عادلاً."
"هذا ليس عادلاً على الإطلاق."
"كان هناك وقت الآن."
(السياق الخفي: للقراءة)
Isn't it just go into the dockmaster's office, head up, come out the door, up a ramp and then literally one right and a bit of a walk and you're at the silt strider? I haven't even played in months. Surely it's not that hard to visualise Necrom?

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

It took me a while to figure that out because I was expecting a ramp rather than it being through a building, also it's still a long walk and the travel boat is at the very furthest end of the dock. I didn't even see the docks on the first time in so I wasn't sure which end of the city they were on.

WhiskeyWhiskers
Oct 14, 2013

"هذا ليس عادلاً."
"هذا ليس عادلاً على الإطلاق."
"كان هناك وقت الآن."
(السياق الخفي: للقراءة)
You're right though, it is awkward to have a bunch of very similar looking doors with none that shout out that they're the correct way into Necrom.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

It stands out compared to all the other settlements I've visited which are much denser, I suppose as a necropolis the scale is intentional, it's not a place for people to live in rather than a big monument, but that does make it stick out compared to everywhere else.

Shibawanko
Feb 13, 2013

sjw's in their faux chitin "gondoliers" hats complaining about my real one that i got by killing a gondolier. do you also not eat kagouti meat snowflake?

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Also playing TR is really making me want to make a khajiit bill sherman and just obliterate the entire province with levitate and fireballs. Place is full of fuckin assholes.

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

should have picked four fingers

Shibawanko posted:

sjw's in their faux chitin "gondoliers" hats complaining about my real one that i got by killing a gondolier. do you also not eat kagouti meat snowflake?

Sounds like the kinds of people who'd say "why ride when you can walk"

SniperWoreConverse
Mar 20, 2010

Gun Saliva

OwlFancier posted:

Also playing TR is really making me want to make a khajiit bill sherman and just obliterate the entire province with levitate and fireballs. Place is full of fuckin assholes.

Shoulda picked the lady sign, cat

Slugworth
Feb 18, 2001

If two grown men can't make a pervert happy for a few minutes in order to watch a film about zombies, then maybe we should all just move to Iran!

OwlFancier posted:

I guess I like MR's changes because I've never really gotten on with how morrowind does stuff in a lot of ways. Like being able to find endgame gear just laying around the place. Like just getting your hands on a glass weapon or something and you're like "oh I guess that whole element of the game is basically pointless now because I have virtually the best weapon" or it being seemingly very easy to just get endless money by doing basic soul trapping
What's funny is, you just described perfectly why I like Morrowind so much. There's something satisfying about how the world doesn't constantly scale to keep challenging you, and you don't necessarily always need to wait and grind to get the good gear. It feels a lot more like a real world that way to me.

I haven't played in like 20 years, so I forget the details, but I have fond memories of being an ineffective low level character and figuring out a way to steal some fancy sword from a guard tower, and then eventually sneaking onto a slave plantation and stealing an even better sword, and feeling not like I was breaking the game, but like I was simply learning to get by in that world. Whereas later games in the series, no matter how long I play, no matter how much I level up, what gear I get, the difficulty level stays the same because everything is scaling up with me.

Finding or stealing a good sword in Morrowind felt like a real accomplishment. Finding a dagger with paralysis (freeze? I forget what the mechanic was called) allowed me at a lower level to slowly and methodically clear the fortresses with the propylon indices, which had been impossible for me to do before. It didn't feel like a hack, it felt like progress.

Lunchmeat Larry
Nov 3, 2012

Slugworth posted:

What's funny is, you just described perfectly why I like Morrowind so much. There's something satisfying about how the world doesn't constantly scale to keep challenging you, and you don't necessarily always need to wait and grind to get the good gear. It feels a lot more like a real world that way to me.

I haven't played in like 20 years, so I forget the details, but I have fond memories of being an ineffective low level character and figuring out a way to steal some fancy sword from a guard tower, and then eventually sneaking onto a slave plantation and stealing an even better sword, and feeling not like I was breaking the game, but like I was simply learning to get by in that world. Whereas later games in the series, no matter how long I play, no matter how much I level up, what gear I get, the difficulty level stays the same because everything is scaling up with me.

Finding or stealing a good sword in Morrowind felt like a real accomplishment. Finding a dagger with paralysis (freeze? I forget what the mechanic was called) allowed me at a lower level to slowly and methodically clear the fortresses with the propylon indices, which had been impossible for me to do before. It didn't feel like a hack, it felt like progress.
Absolutely agreed, it's a high I've been chasing ever since and one of the things I've always valued most in "open worlds" - if there's no opportunity to take high risks for high rewards that let you punch well above your weight, I'm just not that interested.

Also lmao yes, stealing the Sword of White Woe from the Balmora guard tower as a kid is a rite of passage for all GameFAQs-lurking Morrowind players

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Slugworth posted:

I guess it was cool the first couple of times maybe, when I was a kid and doing that sort of thing was a challenge, but playing it now it feels like if I just do a few dungeons I just fall into some silly mega weapon or something, or do some weird exploity thing with the mechanics to steal something, and everything I get subsequently can just go in the bin. I quite like the continual chase, it's nice to find something good and effective but the static world means you have a quite limited amount of times that can happen, not only per playthrough but per your entire experience with the game.

Whereas with the later scaling approach I get lots of little nice finds throughout each playthrough and they're often randomly generated, so I never know what I'll get each time through. I would certainly say the vanilla dungeon rewards in skyrim leave a lot to be desired, and there are mods that add much more interesting progression with skills and items, but I do still prefer the general approach of having a wide pool of incremental improvements to scatter through a playthrough at random.

I would prefer always to have the feeling of being at risk when exploring and always the possibility of finding something better, whereas if I already found the +10 sword of ultimate daedric murder then I feel significantly less threatened and also less capable of being rewarded for my time, which spoils the fun a bit for me. Good dungeon design can help with this as figuring out the mystery of a place (that dwemer ruin south of firewatch has a room with some sort of lock I have not figured out, for example, unsure if there is a quest or clue I have not found) is a good motivator, but the constant chase between power and challenge helps a lot too.

Honestly that's another thing I like about MR (and also TR to a degree) is I like finding all the handy little enchanted items that do useful things. TR seems to have a few (or I just didn't realize how many vanilla morrowind has) but finding a bunch of those is probably the mechanical progression I am most enjoying at the moment, as it is the closest thing to the random scaling world model. They just turn up sometimes and there's lots of them that are useful.

OwlFancier fucked around with this message at 14:28 on Nov 30, 2022

Cantorsdust
Aug 10, 2008

Infinitely many points, but zero length.

Lunchmeat Larry posted:

Absolutely agreed, it's a high I've been chasing ever since and one of the things I've always valued most in "open worlds" - if there's no opportunity to take high risks for high rewards that let you punch well above your weight, I'm just not that interested.

Also lmao yes, stealing the Sword of White Woe from the Balmora guard tower as a kid is a rite of passage for all GameFAQs-lurking Morrowind players

It’s funny that despite also not playing for a few years I’ve played Morrowind so much that I immediately recalled its exact location and name based just on “sword in a guard tower”.

Babe Magnet
Jun 2, 2008

this was always my route for any new character, going back to the xbox, from memory:

spawn, blast through census office (grabbing the platter ofc)
fargoth's ring
finish intro, give fargoth his ring for the trader dispo bump
sell platter, anything else I grabbed while spamming the pick up button during the intro
immediately run into the reeds across from the tradehouse and find the dead taxman, loot his poo poo (200 gold, cool pants)
go to Foryn's shack, accuse him of killing the taxman and kill him, making sure to grab the exquisite ring and A Dance in the Fire 6 before leaving
return to Ergalla, tell him about the taxman and how you killed the murderer. He gives you 500 gold and doesn't take the 200 from the taxman if you do it in this order for some reason
hit the lighthouse, grab Wraith's Wedding Dowry from the top, wait, jump down and grab the enchanted battleaxe from the stump below, and hit Fargoth's hiding place
go grab the scrolls of icarian flight (essential for any run), return to town, don't walk but ride to balmora
head directly to the armorer next to the guilds, run into the corner, jump on top of the boxes, sneak, and start jumping to clip head into ceiling to achieve Ultimate Stealth
loot the shop
sell everything to the kajhiit trader and general trader across the way
begin actual playthough

me and my brother did this exact run so often I could do it with my eyes closed, almost 20 years on lol

mbt
Aug 13, 2012

its a shame that people dont use their icarian flight scrolls. i get asked 'how do you get to tr' a lot and the answer is right there

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

I was doing the mages guild quest and I ended up finding a spare one at an appropriate location in old ebonheart, lol.

Evidently someone used them to go the other way.

mbt
Aug 13, 2012

OwlFancier posted:

I was doing the mages guild quest and I ended up finding a spare one at an appropriate location in old ebonheart, lol.

Evidently someone used them to go the other way.

if you save tarhiel by casting slowfall or levitate on him, he goes back to his old ebonheart home

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Babe Magnet
Jun 2, 2008

that's fuckin' tight

always loved that guy, but I never saved him, because I loved his scrolls more

Is there more of that sort of thing in TR?