Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

hallo spacedog
Apr 3, 2007

this chaos is killing me
💫🐕🔪😱😱

hallo spacedog posted:

Boy I'm jealous of you this week if you have parents who actually help out caring for your kids so you can eat a drat meal instead of sitting drinking with friends and making snide comments and laughing

Also wow they lied about not being sick and gave my kid the flu.
Grandparents of the year.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

slave to my cravings
Mar 1, 2007

Got my mind on doritos and doritos on my mind.

Tortilla Maker posted:

Any toddler sleep training resources you all can point me to?

Could try “solve your child’s sleep problems” by ferber. Seems like it makes sense and it worked from 9-20 months but we’ve been sleeping with our toddler for the past few months because we are weak and he has been sick for like 2 months straight lol.

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

🎧Listen to Cylindricule!🎵
https://linktr.ee/Cylindricule

Two of the worst sounds for my stress level are baby cries and cat meows.

My daughter has been a "baby cat" for the last forty-five minutes. I have heard hell

Tamarillo
Aug 6, 2009

theratking posted:

Anything we should try to mitigate cold-induced diarrhea in a 9 month old besides like, bananas? The diarrhea is super annoying because she gets diaper rash pretty easily from it.

Our son had toddler diarrhoea until recently and our GP actually recommended...marshmellows. Nature's magic gut binder although most storebought varieties are probably variable on the 'nature' aspect. Apparently a legit thing he heard recommended by a gastroenterologist for someone with Crohn's disease. Also helps you stop pooping if you're doing an overnight hike!

Not sure if you can get marshmellows into a 9mo though. Maybe like melted on a hot chocolate level consistency?

left_unattended
Apr 13, 2009

"The person who seeks all their applause from outside has their happiness in another's keeping."
Dale Carnegie
Wut? Eating too many marshmallows has the opposite effect on me.

Hippie Hedgehog
Feb 19, 2007

Ever cuddled a hedgehog?

Tamarillo posted:

Not sure if you can get marshmellows into a 9mo though. Maybe like melted on a hot chocolate level consistency?

Hah, no sugar before 3 years is the new normal, isn't it? And no gluten, vegan, etc, if the kids at our daycare are any indication.

KirbyKhan
Mar 20, 2009

Soiled Meat
I slip some sugar into my kid's food to help them develop their immunity to the substance. Like Princess Bride. Every week or two weeks I give them some high fructose corn syrup based gas station trash. Eating healthy is good and the norm, but if youve never had a pixie stick you've never lived.

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

Never bet against a KirbyKhan when flavor's on the line!

hallo spacedog
Apr 3, 2007

this chaos is killing me
💫🐕🔪😱😱

I always feel bad about sugar but I think a little bit is probably not terrible.

I grew up at a time where doctors actually told my mom to just give me apple juice in a bottle as an infant so I'm already doing a better job than her

sheri
Dec 30, 2002

Hippie Hedgehog posted:

Hah, no sugar before 3 years is the new normal, isn't it? And no gluten, vegan, etc, if the kids at our daycare are any indication.

Hahaha, what?
I know literally no one that has done no sugar before three.

sharkytm
Oct 9, 2003

Ba

By

Sharkytm doot doo do doot do doo

Fallen Rib

sheri posted:

Hahaha, what?
I know literally no one that has done no sugar before three.

Same here. WTF. That would be nearly impossible. Fruit is like 50% sugar by dry weight.

No gluten? Nope, day 14.

No peanuts? Nope, day 14.

We did baby-led weaning, and babyshark eats pretty much everything. Except green beans. They offend him to the point that he'll pull them out of the mix, hand them to us, and demand that they be removed from his sight. Whatever, kid, if that's all you won't eat, then I'm fine with it.

He likes spicy foods, too!

External Organs
Mar 3, 2006

One time i prank called a bear buildin workshop and said I wanted my mamaws ashes put in a teddy from where she loved them things so well... The woman on the phone did not skip a beat. She just said, "Brang her on down here. We've did it before."
I keep offering veggies but my kid just goes crazy for most fruits, carbs, and the occasional protein. It'll work itself out.

Shyfted One
May 9, 2008
Finally caved and bought an iPad when they were clearing stock of the base 2021 model before announcing the new one.

Any tips on must have apps or settings to make it more kid friendly? I almost prefer paid (single price, not subscription) apps just because they likely have less ads. Whatever the 2nd most popular drawing app is had half the brushes locked behind a subscription and gently caress that.

This is for a 6 year old btw so Dreambox for school and a drawing/coloring app is probably what she'll be using it for the most.

I'd love something fun that supported her practicing sounding out words and reading. It's been such a nightmare researching educational apps in the past. She's played with Khan Academy Kids on my old phone, but I'd rather have something more focused instead of "this app will teach your child everything!"

KirbyKhan
Mar 20, 2009

Soiled Meat
Best food hack when my toddler is eyeing whatever snack is to squirt some Diablo Taco Bell on my portion and his. Did this like three times, now I just say "ok, but it's spicy" and he shakes his head and toddles off to scavenge whatever mom is eating.

He doesn't believe her when she says it's spicy because she didn't daily carry taco Bell packets in her baby bag. :twisted:

Shifty Pony
Dec 28, 2004

Up ta somethin'

Shyfted One posted:

Finally caved and bought an iPad when they were clearing stock of the base 2021 model before announcing the new one.

Any tips on must have apps or settings to make it more kid friendly? I almost prefer paid (single price, not subscription) apps just because they likely have less ads. Whatever the 2nd most popular drawing app is had half the brushes locked behind a subscription and gently caress that.

This is for a 6 year old btw so Dreambox for school and a drawing/coloring app is probably what she'll be using it for the most.

I'd love something fun that supported her practicing sounding out words and reading. It's been such a nightmare researching educational apps in the past. She's played with Khan Academy Kids on my old phone, but I'd rather have something more focused instead of "this app will teach your child everything!"

more of a general suggestion but: Set up family sharing with a child account with your own account set up as the adult. In Family Sharing turn on "Ask to Buy. This will make it such that any attempt to download an app (even a free one!) or buy an IAP will ping you and require your approval for it to go through.

Otherwise anyone with the device password or face id on the device will be able to approve a purchase. This is where stories of a kid buying $800 worth of gems for some bullshit game come from.

Shyfted One
May 9, 2008
Good advice. Done.

remigious
May 13, 2009

Destruction comes inevitably :rip:

Hell Gem
Another day, another incident report at school to sign because my child is the clumsiest toddler in existence :(

GoutPatrol
Oct 17, 2009

*Stupid Babby*

GoutPatrol posted:

Congratulations, I am still waiting. He's 15 months now, and for the past 3 months he has just asked to be walked everywhere (we hold his hands and he stumbles on with us as support.) I see him sometimes trying to move on his own but he just can't get the balance right. Doctor said to not be worried but I can't help but be worried when it seems like every other baby I see at his age is there already.

month later update: I think yesterday we finally turned a corner. He's trying to walk more on his own but still likes to grab hands most of the time. When he wants to move he'll crawl over, throw my phone/remote out of my hand and demand a walk. We're going 13-15 steps and able to stop and change direction.

He can now also put the toys back in the box (when he wants to.)

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

Realizing you've been watching a video about garbage trucks for several minutes and there's no kids around you anymore.

dismas
Jul 31, 2008

I said "I love you!" to my 2 year old and she said "I love you too!" I know this is a thing she's trying out and she doesn't really *mean* it the same way I do but I am still heart-eyes-emoji about it

L0cke17
Nov 29, 2013

Today, for possibly the first day ever, the 2.5 year old cleaned up more mess than he made.

He put away all his dinner plates, threw away all his snack wrappers, put away his toys, and then helped pick up a room he didn't even go into today at all.

He did all this to avoid going to bed mind you, but I'll take it.

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

Our toddler went on a trip to see grandpa for his 75th birthday and it's like she leveled up, getting to hang out with her 4 and 9 year old cousins, instead of hanging around with a bunch of nonverbal 1 and 2 year olds

I've been narrating our home life to her "where's dinner? is hadlock Jr having pasta? Should we make pasta in the microwave? Ok now we stir in the cheese. Is it too hot? Should we blow on it?" etc etc ad nauseam

Today "where is bashi*? Do you know where bashi is? Where is it, do you know where it is?"

Her, in plain-rear end English, looking me dead in the eye, "I don't know"

:dogstare:

Do you just have those moments where you feel like you're talking to a wall, and you're just stunned into silence, like, not only did the wall grunt in acknowledgement, but it used correct grammar

Related: at Thanksgiving my cousins wife was talking to my daughter about her bashi leash clip thing and asked if the design was a fox. She looks at it for a second, then responds "no this is a cat". I laughed really drat hard, then looked at the leash thing and it was in fact definitely a cat

*Bashi is her word for pacifier, language is weird. Bashi is also way cooler to say than binkie, imo

Hippie Hedgehog
Feb 19, 2007

Ever cuddled a hedgehog?

sharkytm posted:

Same here. WTF. That would be nearly impossible. Fruit is like 50% sugar by dry weight.

Nah these parents know what's up. It's only "refined sugar" that kills you, don't you know?

Fructose in a fruit is fine but fructose from soda pop is deadly. Or something to that effect.

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

For fructose specifically, it's the fiber in the fruit that slows down absorbtion of fructose and prevents liver damage and all the other stuff

Sucrose, lactose etc I don't think cause the same problems as fructose

Supposedly, at least. Here is the original lecture by the berkley professor, he does a very deep dive on how different sugars are processed and why fructose (and :airquote: high fructose sugar) is different, if you have an hour to kill some time. I think they made a movie based on this but I haven't seen it so can't comment on that

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dBnniua6-oM

Me personally I try to minimize stuff with added sugar. My wife likes to feed our kid dried mango slices but the kind she buys has like 30g, or something, of added sugar per slice, which seems excessive

Hadlock fucked around with this message at 10:00 on Nov 29, 2022

Hippie Hedgehog
Feb 19, 2007

Ever cuddled a hedgehog?
I put dried mango slices (non-sugar-added) in the bags of candy we handed out at my daughter's birthday party. Half the kids wouldn't eat them, including my daughter. I suppose if you're used to candy being very sweet, dried mango was just too tough and not enough of a payoff?

Dick Ripple
May 19, 2021
Sugar and Your Brain

If you are at all interested in listening to someone talk about how sugar effects us for almost 2 hours, you should give this a listen. I think it just goes to show how nuanced and complicated something simple as sugar and how it effects us can be, and is rather quite diffilcult to get across to most people in several sentences.

Andrew Huberman has several podcasts dealing with sugar, this one is particular interesting and he goes into its effects on kids quite a bit. If your at all interested in general health and fitness for yourself and your family you will probably find most of his episodes and guests worth a listen.

ExcessBLarg!
Sep 1, 2001

Hippie Hedgehog posted:

Nah these parents know what's up. It's only "refined sugar" that kills you, don't you know?

Fructose in a fruit is fine but fructose from soda pop is deadly. Or something to that effect.
You feed your kids fruit because it has fiber and helps them poop. If you'd prefer to dump a capful of Miralax into a bottle of Sprite I suppose that's an acceptable substitute.

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

I gotta remember that easily slipping into an early nap is a terrible harbinger, not a blessing

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo
Incredibly jet lagged, wife out of town, and after like 36 hours everyone is down and comfy so hooooo boy it's time to try for a rem cycle. Rain starts to hit, great, comfy white noise

Nah, twenty minutes in MRRRRROOOOOOOOWWWw nyyyyyyyyaaaaahhhhhhh mrrrrrrrrr *cat dish noise*, gently caress now the babies are awake.

Never knew insomnia until How Make Babby Sleep.

And yet I love them more than life so I will just slowly go insane I guess.

2DEG
Apr 13, 2011

If I hear the words "luck dragon" one more time, so fucking help me...
Good news! You'll remember none of it!

My oldest's daycare class is apparently full of giants because there, he's about the same size as the biggest kids, but when he went to soccer last night, I realized that he's one of the largest kids there. Like, head and shoulders above some of them. Though granted, he's almost 4.5 and they're probably 3 year olds, but still. Can highly recommend doing sports at this age, the entertainment from watching 3/4 yo's try to "scrimmage" is worth the price of admission. Almost as hilarious as the try-hard parents that take this poo poo way too seriously.

Shifty Pony
Dec 28, 2004

Up ta somethin'

The good news is that I think Mini Pony had a eureka moment regarding the feeling of needing to poop, clenching to stop the poop, and intentionally relaxing to let the poop out. Up until now he hadn't managed the last part without active distraction.

The bad news is he ran his experiment to figure this out while standing in the living room.

Whatever. If that's what gives him the experience necessary to know how to let it out when on the potty instead that's still a win.

hallo spacedog
Apr 3, 2007

this chaos is killing me
💫🐕🔪😱😱

So my 18 month old contracted the flu from my dad (thanks a lot) at Thanksgiving, despite being vaccinated. We were in the emergency room yesterday because she was struggling to breathe at all, but home today. She does not want to eat or drink anything but luckily continues to nurse a lot.

At her age is it possible for nursing to provide ample hydration or should I be like syringe forcing her to have liquids? We are offering water, Gatorade, Pedialyte etc as much as possible and will keep doing so but she's refusing and just nursing. Also offering food and treats but she wants none of that either.

At this time she is not having any vomiting or diarrhea if that helps.

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

I would call your pediatrician advice line as that sounds pretty serious, they can give you the best advice

I'm not a doctor but I believe you can judge hydration level by how long it's been since they've had a wet diaper

Lack of appetite isn't uncommon during fever, but can't hurt to give them a syringe or two of Pedialyte as desired

My mom two days after Thanksgiving was hoarse with her voice cracking "I think it's allergies" :rolleyes: thanks mom

Muir
Sep 27, 2005

that's Doctor Brain to you
Yeah, you can check adequate hydration by what's coming out. Mayo Clinic says you want to see a wet diaper every 3 hours (https://www.mayoclinic.org/diseases-conditions/dehydration/symptoms-causes/syc-20354086). Similarly Cleveland Clinic says dehydration is indicated by seeing fewer than six wet diapers per day (for infants), and no wet diapers or urination for eight hours (in toddlers) (https://my.clevelandclinic.org/health/articles/8276-dehydration-and-your-child). There's water in lots of food, too, if you can get her to eat ice cream or popsicles or something. We always keep the dye-free Otter Pops on hand and our kids devour them when they're sick.

marchantia
Nov 5, 2009

WHAT IS THIS
They have Pedialyte popsicles too but idk if a 18 month old would enjoy them or not. My daughter loved them when we were going thru RSV but she's 3 so the concept of a popsicle was a little easier to convey. She now is obsessed with ice tube popsicles now though so ymmv

slave to my cravings
Mar 1, 2007

Got my mind on doritos and doritos on my mind.
Yea just give them whatever they can tolerate for a day or two until their appetite comes back. Tylenol and ibuprofen alternating at the recommended doses. Popsicles, apple sauce pouches work pretty well, but if they are nursing still that’s probably fine.

hallo spacedog
Apr 3, 2007

this chaos is killing me
💫🐕🔪😱😱

Apparently the answer was a big bowl of cold spaghetti with butter that she can hand feed herself and me not interfering in any way

Edit : and the Japanese version of the Pokemon nursery rhymes channel on YouTube

External Organs
Mar 3, 2006

One time i prank called a bear buildin workshop and said I wanted my mamaws ashes put in a teddy from where she loved them things so well... The woman on the phone did not skip a beat. She just said, "Brang her on down here. We've did it before."
Y'all I watched Kiki's Delivery Service with my 2.5 year old yesterday (first time for me), and that is one chill cute little film.

Totoro too.

KirbyKhan
Mar 20, 2009

Soiled Meat
Potty training is the most hopeless god drat endeavor, then they poop on the floor. But I tell ya, scrubbing that poop stain gives me hope.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

KirbyKhan
Mar 20, 2009

Soiled Meat
Had similar flu go down like 2 weeks ago. My guy ate bread slices for comfort. See if you have the patience for the Pedialyte popsicles with a small pack, otherwise a big rear end series of tubes takes up your freezer forever. I had better luck with liquid pedialyte cut with water.