Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Should I step down as head of twitter
This poll is closed.
Yes 420 4.43%
No 69 0.73%
Goku 9001 94.85%
Total: 9490 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

There's a bigger :lol: to be had in the chart - Tesla's on it too! :allears:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Entropic
Feb 21, 2007

patriarchy sucks

Sankis posted:

oh cool and I'm sure that one person is definitely going to still be there in a little while. it's definitely not the kind of job that has huge turn over, or the kind that involves seeing the worst of humanity so much that suicide is a prevalent issue. I'm sure that single person is also going to get the support they will desperately need from Twitter.

That’s loving bleak, I want to see Twitter fall apart in funny ways, not that poo poo, what the gently caress

If Elon wants to speedrun getting the app delisted on iOS that’s certainly one way to do it

Strong Sauce
Jul 2, 2003

You know I am not really your father.

https://twitter.com/sachee/status/1597323974580797440

ben shapino
Nov 22, 2020

https://www.vice.com/en/article/nexga7/how-diet-coke-helped-me-embrace-my-gay-identity

Sankis
Mar 8, 2004

But I remember the fella who told me. Big lad. Arms as thick as oak trees, a stunning collection of scars, nice eye patch. A REAL therapist he was. Er wait. Maybe it was rapist?

Entropic posted:

That’s loving bleak, I want to see Twitter fall apart in funny ways, not that poo poo, what the gently caress

If Elon wants to speedrun getting the app delisted on iOS that’s certainly one way to do it

Yeah, it's extremely loving bleak and all of social media exists only because there are people who sell their mental wellbeing and do that job. If you ever want to get even angrier at Facebook, et al there are a few articles like this from a few years ago.

TW: they talk about some TRULY awful stuff.

https://www.nbcnews.com/business/business-news/facebook-content-moderators-say-they-receive-little-support-despite-company-n1266891

https://www.cnet.com/tech/mobile/facebook-content-moderation-is-an-ugly-business-heres-who-does-it/

Bucky Fullminster
Apr 13, 2007

do you think companies are obligated to advertise on your website, fucknuts? it's a free market and your product isn't cutting it

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Bucky Fullminster posted:

do you think companies are obligated to advertise on your website, fucknuts? it's a free market and your product isn't cutting it

No, but it embarrasses him if they don't. He can bully some companies with threats of "I'll get appointed to your board and fire you mr. CMO!!!" but he can't do that to Apple so hes having a tanty.

Unironically I think the share value of Tesla will influence how comfortable companies are with ditching twitter.

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

I had a video of that when I was about 6.

I remember it being shit.

Grimey Drawer
He doesn't think dictators are necessarily objectionable because he wants to be one. The most democracy anyone would get on Musky Mars would be twitter polls on decisions he'd already made.

Mistle
Oct 11, 2005

Eckot's comic relief cousin from out of town
Grimey Drawer

They didn't want to let YE see himself out because any injury with his thin skin would be a hell of a liability :lol:

The Saddest Rhino posted:

He took some time out during his tirade against apple banning him to ban some furries

https://twitter.com/Dragoneer/status/1597367936473534465

quote:

Elon's graphine thin skin

:drat:

Tech flex insult right there.

learnincurve
May 15, 2014

Smoosh
So in the UK buried underneath all the but what about the children handwringing, the revised online safety bill gives ofgem, the people who regulate communications, the power to fine internet companies 10% of global turnover for not moderating properly.

busalover
Sep 12, 2020

learnincurve posted:

So in the UK buried underneath all the but what about the children handwringing, the revised online safety bill gives ofgem, the people who regulate communications, the power to fine internet companies 10% of global turnover for not moderating properly.

Does a private company need to disclose global turnover?

e: eh the law would probably force them to do it I guess

learnincurve
May 15, 2014

Smoosh
I have a feeling if Twitter has a negative global turnover they are just going to be switched off here. There is a war amongst Conservative MPs between the very LOUD rabid right wingers who love themselves an American Nazi and the “but what about decorum can’t we go back to using our inside voices” faction. Both sides like money.

ilmucche
Mar 16, 2016

What did you say the strategy was?

learnincurve posted:

isn't transphobia a huge thing in the uk government? I don't know if they'd go after twitter because the politics seem right up their alley. OFGEM seem like they might be alright but would they be able to touch twitter for the 1000 quid it'll get them?

learnincurve
May 15, 2014

Smoosh

ilmucche posted:

isn't transphobia a huge thing in the uk government? I don't know if they'd go after twitter because the politics seem right up their alley. OFGEM seem like they might be alright but would they be able to touch twitter for the 1000 quid it'll get them?

They got around that by weasel wording that you could argue transphobia is about feelings and made it about sexism, racism, and child suicide. It is a very terfy law but if Twitter has no moderation and freeze peach policies then they hosed anyway.

keep punching joe
Jan 22, 2006

Die Satan!
The UK government doesn't care about hate speech being moderated online. It only cares about people telling MPs and other rich tories to gently caress off and die.

Cabbages and VHS
Aug 25, 2004

Listen, I've been around a bit, you know, and I thought I'd seen some creepy things go on in the movie business, but I really have to say this is the most disgusting thing that's ever happened to me.

RocketMermaid posted:

I feel like he's been on one singular coke binge for the last three weeks straight.

Those Azelia Banks instagrams about "tweeting on acid" make a lot of sense. If you keep doing LSD over and over it turns into kind of a crappy stimulant which has probably also made you into a very weird person.

I did this for a few months when I was 17, can't imagine doing it as an adult, let alone the head of 3 large companies, but what do I know about how to be rich properly?

learnincurve
May 15, 2014

Smoosh

keep punching joe posted:

The UK government doesn't care about hate speech being moderated online. It only cares about people telling MPs and other rich tories to gently caress off and die.

They are also not fond of anyone, whatever the checkmark or (parody), pretending to be them and creating an account telling everyone how much they love corruption and diddling kids.

Herstory Begins Now
Aug 5, 2003
SOME REALLY TEDIOUS DUMB SHIT THAT SUCKS ASS TO READ ->>

RocketMermaid posted:

I feel like he's been on one singular coke binge for the last three weeks straight.

It's either this or just the raw mania of 24/7 social media drama being blasted directly into his head. or both. dude is experiencing 24/7 engagement in real time lol

Drone_Fragger
May 9, 2007

Cannot wait till tesla shareholders give him the boot as they realise theyre paying him billions to sit in his pajamas and post the spiciest nuclear takes on twitter from the shitter while railing fat rear end caterpillars of coke off the signed copy of mein kampf the alt right sent him.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Drone_Fragger posted:

Cannot wait till tesla shareholders give him the boot as they realise theyre paying him billions to sit in his pajamas and post the spiciest nuclear takes on twitter from the shitter while doing fat rear end caterpillar of coke off the signed copy of mein kampf the alt right sent him.

Well that was why he got sued earlier this year, a shareholder was asking why the gently caress Tesla was paying him 50 million a year when he was busy CEOing all the other companies.

UltraMegaPhil
May 2, 2010

Number one.
So everyone is acting like delisting twitter from the app store effectively kills it for people using it on Apple devices but that's not strictly true, right? I have a twitter account and I've never actually used the app - I only ever use the mobile web interface, and that's still going to work. I guess you lose things like notifications and whatnot but it sounds like those are kind of hosed right now anyway.

What's really stopping Elon just going "Fine, delist it, everyone just use the web interface now and go loving nuts because there's dick all Apple can do about it"?

Adenoid Dan
Mar 8, 2012

The Hobo Serenader
Lipstick Apathy

UltraMegaPhil posted:

So everyone is acting like delisting twitter from the app store effectively kills it for people using it on Apple devices but that's not strictly true, right? I have a twitter account and I've never actually used the app - I only ever use the mobile web interface, and that's still going to work. I guess you lose things like notifications and whatnot but it sounds like those are kind of hosed right now anyway.

What's really stopping Elon just going "Fine, delist it, everyone just use the web interface now and go loving nuts because there's dick all Apple can do about it"?

I think for a lot of people it's just more convenient, and if they aren't power users a small inconvenience will be enough to make them use it less or leave altogether.

snoremac
Jul 27, 2012

I LOVE SEEING DEAD BABIES ON 𝕏, THE EVERYTHING APP. IT'S WORTH IT FOR THE FOLLOWING TAB.
Subs can only be purchased through the Apple Store I think, and it would be a kick in the nuts to lose the predominant way by which people use apps and purchase things on an iPhone.

snoremac fucked around with this message at 10:53 on Nov 29, 2022

I would blow Dane Cook
Dec 26, 2008
https://twitter.com/realDonaldTrump/status/257552283850653696

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

UltraMegaPhil posted:

Yeah, I mentioned before, but Twitter's website isn't just a website, it's actually an incredibly good Progressive Web App, which means when you pin it to your home screen on iOS or Android it actually 'installs' and looks a lot like a native app experience can do things like background notifications and other native app features.

Herstory Begins Now
Aug 5, 2003
getting thrown out of the apple app store is, more than anything else, a huge gently caress you to twitter and elon's prestige and something that he is going to take incredibly personally

thin blue whine
Feb 21, 2004
PLEASE SEE POLICY

Soiled Meat

UltraMegaPhil posted:

I mean sure you can but if I've learned anything it's that the more inconvenient you make something the more people stop trying to access it, and move on to other things. It's like when a right wing psychos gets de-platform they lose a ton of relevance. They can be found a lot of other places but who wants to bother?

ilmucche
Mar 16, 2016

learnincurve posted:

They got around that by weasel wording that you could argue transphobia is about feelings and made it about sexism, racism, and child suicide. It is a very terfy law but if Twitter has no moderation and freeze peach policies then they hosed anyway.

what's a freeze peach policy

learnincurve posted:

They are also not fond of anyone, whatever the checkmark or (parody), pretending to be them and creating an account telling everyone how much they love corruption and diddling kids.

why pretend to be them when the tories tell people this poo poo all the time anyway

post you are dogs

MrQwerty
Apr 15, 2003

LOVE IS BEAUTIFUL
(づ ̄ ³ ̄)づ♥(‘∀’●)

thin blue whine posted:

I mean sure you can but if I've learned anything it's that the more inconvenient you make something the more people stop trying to access it, and move on to other things. It's like when a right wing psychos gets de-platform they lose a ton of relevance. They can be found a lot of other places but who wants to bother?

Is SMS 2FA still broken?

Ror
Oct 21, 2010

😸Everything's 🗞️ purrfect!💯🤟

can't believe he @ed Tim Apple, what kind of chucklefuck CEO is actually going to personally respond to moronic twitter complaints

ilmucche
Mar 16, 2016

Everything is fine, he's going to be more popular than ever!

Elon Musk set to become number-one influencer on Twitter

quote:

Over the past 12 months, he has gained 268,303 followers a day, on average, according to Social Blade, and lost followers on only five days, which can all be linked to news events.

He lost nearly 200,000 on 12 November, when major job cuts were announced at Twitter - and as he is likely to have gained new followers that day too, the actual number who unfollowed him must have been much higher.

"Elon Musk is now the main character on Twitter," social-media commentator Matt Navarra says.

I'm sure there are no bots involved in this at all

keep punching joe
Jan 22, 2006

Die Satan!
Wouldn't Twitter relying on the Web version rather than the app hit ad impressions, since it's much easier to filter out ads with browser extensions.

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

Grimey Drawer
The more interesting thing in that article imo is that they remove advertising for the most popular 1000-or-so accounts.

It makes sense, they're the product after all, you want to keep them happy and tweeting, but it means Elon never sees the advertising he is destroying.

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

The pepto bismol is there to counteract the effects of ingesting diet coke I guess

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

UltraMegaPhil posted:

I think that becoming unavailable as an app would not kill Twitter on the spot but would kill any future that Twitter might have had as a social media outlet of any significance. It'd survive in the same way that Livejournal survives.

I would blow Dane Cook
Dec 26, 2008
https://twitter.com/MattBinder/status/1597309752174071809

learnincurve
May 15, 2014

Smoosh

QuarkJets posted:

I think that becoming unavailable as an app would not kill Twitter on the spot but would kill any future that Twitter might have had as a social media outlet of any significance. It'd survive in the same way that Livejournal survives.

It means they can’t get $8 from apple users as the stupid blue check marks are bought via apple and Google stores.

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

Grimey Drawer
Live journal was popular in the olden days, when people had to choose to look at things rather than the apps being installed on phones and tablets by default. It never had the cultural baggage twitter has built up by allowing incredibly lazy but incredibly prompt journalism.

big black turnout
Jan 13, 2009

Fallen Rib
Please find a random iphone user who uses Twitter to follow their favorite celebrities and tell them they can simply install Twitter to the home screen as a progressive web app

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Herstory Begins Now
Aug 5, 2003

goatface posted:

Live journal was popular in the olden days, when people had to choose to look at things rather than the apps being installed on phones and tablets by default. It never had the cultural baggage twitter has built up by allowing incredibly lazy but incredibly prompt journalism.

in a bizarre twist it was bought by russians and for a number of years now it has been a fairly popular place for russian defense bloggers