Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe
If you hurt it then we will all cheer next time a reaper destroys your vessel.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

So much better than the dumb trivalve, that wasn't cute at all. total letdown.

ikanreed
Sep 25, 2009

I honestly I have no idea who cannibal[SIC] is and I do not know why I should know.

syq dude, just syq!
That's cool and all but I'm not sure how you lose 4 seamoths in one game. They outrun every single enemy.

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

🚣RowboatMan: ❄️Freezing time🕰️ is an old P.I. 🥧trick...

Cythereal posted:

I tried, but the knife clips right through it. :(

That thing just ain't right and tomorrow after work I'm making the propulsion cannon to see if I can relocate it into orbit. It's right up there with the crabsquid in disturbing poo poo I've seen in this game.

EXACTLY!

My thoughts from earlier in the year...

Rupert Buttermilk posted:

Let me tell you about cuddlefish. Cute, meme-worthy, fun to watch in the alien containment.

But if you take one out, and release it ANYWHERE near your base, you'll end up with that bastard popping up INSIDE, all over the place. And since its lighting is based on the lighting outside your base, it'll be floating around, CONSTANTLY IN THE WAY, and it'll look like a black silhouette when playing at night.

Let me tell you, that sight is QUITE disconcerting when you have no idea what it is at first.

And then... And THEN, it keeps getting in the way when you go traveling for ores and poo poo. About to pick up magnetite? NOPE SORRY PLAY WITH ME!

I WISH I could feed it to my ravenous bio reactor.

This is at least what happens on Switch.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

ikanreed posted:

That's cool and all but I'm not sure how you lose 4 seamoths in one game. They outrun every single enemy.

I lost the first two when I wasn't inside the seamoth. The third got shut down by EMP, which is apparently a thing that crabsquids can do, and then destroyed.

Edit: I can confirm, the cuddlefish cannot be interacted with by any tools or weapons. This little spawn of the Old Ones is stuck inside my base forever. :gonk:

I think it's the tentacles that put me off from the cuddlefish. I might have been down for a cutesy-fied version of the peeper or hoverfish. This flying octopus thing is not my idea of cute.

Cythereal fucked around with this message at 14:11 on Nov 29, 2022

SynthesisAlpha
Jun 19, 2007
Cyber-Monocle sporting Space Billionaire
This might be what's doing it because it's not totally obvious but you can repair your Seamoth with the repair tool. The dings and dents add up if you're not buffing them out!

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Cythereal posted:

Edit: I can confirm, the cuddlefish cannot be interacted with by any tools or weapons. This little spawn of the Old Ones is stuck inside my base forever. :gonk:

When you interact with him, it brings him closer to you. You can use this to move him to a window and then through it by interacting from outside.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

SynthesisAlpha posted:

This might be what's doing it because it's not totally obvious but you can repair your Seamoth with the repair tool. The dings and dents add up if you're not buffing them out!

I know. My first outpost is in sandshark and ampeel waters. I've repaired plenty of damage.

I never go anywhere without my seaglider, scanner, flashlight, repair tool, laser cutter, knife, stasis rifle, and habitat builder in my inventory.

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

Cythereal posted:

I know. My first outpost is in sandshark and ampeel waters. I've repaired plenty of damage.

I never go anywhere without my seaglider, scanner, flashlight, repair tool, laser cutter, knife, stasis rifle, and habitat builder in my inventory.

This has the potential to get you out of MANY predicaments, if used correctly.

I'm assuming you also brought your knife? :black101:

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

This has the potential to get you out of MANY predicaments, if used correctly.

I'm assuming you also brought your knife? :black101:

Check what I listed in my kit immediately before the stasis rifle. :v:

Haven't yet killed a reaper, but the stasis rifle and knife did drive away the one that ate my second seamoth when I was diving on the same wreck.

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

Cythereal posted:

Check what I listed in my kit immediately before the stasis rifle. :v:

Haven't yet killed a reaper, but the stasis rifle and knife did drive away the one that ate my second seamoth when I was diving on the same wreck.

Welp, I can't read.

Pander
Oct 9, 2007

Fear is the glue that holds society together. It's what makes people suppress their worst impulses. Fear is power.

And at the end of fear, oblivion.

Stasis rifle and blade was how I felt with crabsquids. gently caress those things.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.
I'll be sure to try that. I probably could have survived the crabsquid, but the warper startled the hell out of me, then I was not expecting another big sea monster that could disable my seamoth while I was already off-balance.

Also I didn't even know I could turn off the lights on my seamoth until a friend explained that to me and that crabsquids are attracted to light.

Feldegast42
Oct 29, 2011

COMMENCE THE RITE OF SHITPOSTING

Well crap, this convinced me to do a second playthrough

wolrah
May 8, 2006
what?

Cythereal posted:

Also I didn't even know I could turn off the lights on my seamoth until a friend explained that to me and that crabsquids are attracted to light.
Also the reapers.

Turning the lights off and using sonar most of the time is how I avoided most hostile encounters in the original game, then from there it was usually possible to outmaneuver the leviathans. I lost my first seamoth to the one near the Aurora when I left it with the lights on while I harvested materials and suddenly it's just a dot on my HUD heading off in to the distance that then disappears. Another one imploded when I failed to stop completely before getting out just above crush depth, but I haven't lost another one since then.

Below Zero's Chelicerates seem to have better vision that doesn't need light and the seatruck is slow so the one near the purple vents has had plenty of spicy bites of my defense module, but it only does like 30 damage and then fucks off even if I don't zap it so it's never really been a big deal. I just got to the part where the snowfox becomes relevant so we'll see how that goes.

Warpers are absolute fucks, they always manage to get me at the most inconvenient time.

wolrah fucked around with this message at 20:32 on Nov 29, 2022

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

I avoided leviathans like the plague in the original but in BZ I got murder-happy.

Also spent a lot of time using the seatruck booster to run over Cryptosuchus till they died.

Lima
Jun 17, 2012

Cythereal posted:

I'll be sure to try that. I probably could have survived the crabsquid, but the warper startled the hell out of me, then I was not expecting another big sea monster that could disable my seamoth while I was already off-balance.

You can even toss flares to distract some of the critters away from you, if you've been ejected or shut down.

No Dignity
Oct 15, 2007

Pro-tip: You can win 100% of encounters with Reapers in a Seamoth by doing a corkscrew up motion around their heads until they get bored and give up trying to bite you

Icon Of Sin
Dec 26, 2008

No Dignity posted:

Pro-tip: You can win 100% of encounters with Reapers in a Seamoth by doing a corkscrew up motion around their heads until they get bored and give up trying to bite you

I always did the move+ascend/descend combo, usually jumping out of the water like a flying fish and escaping that way. The Seamoth can get a surprising amount of hang time if you angle just right! :getin:

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

wolrah posted:

I just got to the part where the snowfox becomes relevant so we'll see how that goes.

You don't have to use it anyway if you want. Prawn suit works on land and has more inventory space so I went with it.

ninjoatse.cx
Apr 9, 2005

Fun Shoe

Grand Fromage posted:

You don't have to use it anyway if you want. Prawn suit works on land and has more inventory space so I went with it.

:same:

Snowfox is barely usable. Made me very sad. Wish there was a waterskimmer version of it.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.
Problem: Sea monsters keep eating my submarines.

Solution: build a bigger submarine.

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

Grand Fromage posted:

Can't do sick ramp jumps in the pr0nsuit.

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

SlothfulCobra posted:

Can't do sick ramp jumps in the pr0nsuit.

Can't do sweet jumps or anything remotely interesting in the snow fox either.

Heyoooooo!

Sorry but as someone who legitimately enjoys BZ, even I thought that vehicle was bullshit.

Cartoon Man
Jan 31, 2004

The snowfox should’ve started out as that crappy bike but then you keep crafting better mods that bulk it up until it turns into the Warthog from Halo.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

Went here instead of the Aurora first tonight.

Hmmm. Planetary defense system programmed to shoot down anything in range. And earlier on the radio I was getting calls from a rescue ship...

I think I'm not going to touch the radio again until I shut this thing down. I assume that the power plant 1,200m deep is my ultimate objective due to being the most remote. I do believe I have a goal for the game!

Cythereal fucked around with this message at 02:46 on Nov 30, 2022

Crazy Ferret
May 11, 2007

Welp

Cythereal posted:

I think I'm not going to touch the radio again until I shut this thing down. I assume that the power plant 1,200m deep is my ultimate objective due to being the most remote. I do believe I have a goal for the game!

I love these posts :3:

It is really making me want to start another hardcore run up.

Serephina
Nov 8, 2005

恐竜戦隊
ジュウレンジャー

Cythereal posted:

Went here instead of the Aurora first tonight.

You should probably spoiler most of that. The game's been out for years but this thread is good about talking about lategame or surprise stuff in either veiled language, or just hyper-specific in a way that's meaningless unless you've seen it (ex: "the ghost tree").

New people (such as yourself!) are always discovering this gem for the first time, and most of the fun is about discovering things firsthand.

edit: please don't let this discourage you from posting your journey, it's always a great read to hear another's story

Icon Of Sin
Dec 26, 2008

Yea I really wish I could play the first one for the first time all over again. I’ve never been so loving lost in a game before, and stumbling into the deeper areas for the first time was an experience :unsmith:

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

Serephina posted:

You should probably spoiler most of that. The game's been out for years but this thread is good about talking about lategame or surprise stuff in either veiled language, or just hyper-specific in a way that's meaningless unless you've seen it (ex: "the ghost tree").

Done!

I also went into the Aurora this evening. Got the radiation turned off at last and finished the prawn schematic, which I promptly built.

I also found a helpful use for farming creepvine - all-natural illumination at night! They grow deeper than they're found naturally with a growbed's help.

Pretty sunset, for as rare as I'm above the waves.

It's clear that my next course of action is upgrading my cyclops and prawn, which I have few schematics for and all of the ones I do have require advanced materials I haven't seen yet. Clearly next up is going back to exploring, and it's looking like I need to head deeper.

And maybe figure out what to do about that hallucination of what I can only call a Prothean from Mass Effect.

Cythereal fucked around with this message at 03:01 on Nov 30, 2022

OgNar
Oct 26, 2002

They tapdance not, neither do they fart
I really do enjoy new players discoveries.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Cytherial do not read: Neat, he's gonna metagame himself into the ultimately-unsatisfying-on-first-play 'sunbeam just leaves due to orbital debris' outcome.

Endless Trash
Aug 12, 2007

MikeJF posted:

Cytherial do not read: Neat, he's gonna metagame himself into the ultimately-unsatisfying-on-first-play 'sunbeam just leaves due to orbital debris' outcome.

it’s so cool they’re actually making the correct in-game moral choice given their order of discovery.

If Riley was making contact with a potential rescue ship, but before they made actual plans to rescue him he discovered the active space gun that obviously shot down the Aurora, the ethical thing for him to do is cut off contact with the Sunbeam since he knows they’ll just get shot down too

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Yeah, but Riley doesn't make contact, it's all one-way, they're responding to the Aurora's final distress call. (if it was two-way he could just warn them off). In reality events would play out regardless of if he listened to the messages but in-game he's avoiding the trigger events of listening to the incoming message. So it is metagaming it a bit by exploiting the videogame trigger mechanics we're all used to.

MikeJF fucked around with this message at 10:05 on Nov 30, 2022

Zesty
Jan 17, 2012

The Great Twist
Breaks your heart to see someone miss out on fun gameplay.

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

Zesty posted:

Breaks your heart to see someone miss out on fun gameplay.

There's no gameplay change. I think it's interesting how they'll uncover what happens either way. Also lol at doing all of the poo poo that's required to shut that down first.

Gadzuko
Feb 14, 2005

There's no gameplay change. I think it's interesting how they'll uncover what happens either way. Also lol at doing all of the poo poo that's required to shut that down first.

I think they're referring to all the radio messages they will miss

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Gadzuko posted:

I think they're referring to all the radio messages they will miss

Well, they'll miss the entire cool 'gun blows up the sunbeam' altogether, if you shut down the quarantine enforcement platform before that happens then instead of landing they send you a final message saying they couldn't make it through the orbital debris field. But yeah, as well as that then until they start checking it again they'll also miss out on a bunch of signals pointing you towards other lifepods, the warper messages, and the signal from Alterra HQ saying the Neptune rocket schematics are being transmitted to the captain's quarters.

MikeJF fucked around with this message at 14:44 on Nov 30, 2022

Aoi
Sep 12, 2017

Perpetually a Pain.

MikeJF posted:

Not just that, they'll miss the entire cool 'gun blows up the sunbeam' altogether, if you shut down the quarantine enforcement platform before that happens then instead of landing they send you a final message saying they couldn't make it through the orbital debris field

To be fair, this may be the result of older patches, but on at least 3 saves where I've specifically tried to get that outcome, I've still seen it activate and blow it up *after* disabling the cannon. Like, seriously, hanging there flaccid, reactivates, blows up the sunbeam, goes back to hanging limply. It's kind of hilarious in a way. If he's heard that first message, it may already be too late.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.
Since folks were interested in my thoughts on playing through the game so far:

I am enjoying myself pretty well, now that I feel that I have the tools to deal with reapers (the seamoth bug zapper dealt with the one that tried poo poo on my way to the Aurora) and can turn on invisibility when I don't feel like dealing with the hassle. While I don't know where exactly I should be going next, the existence of upgrades for the cyclops and reaper that I either don't have or don't have the resources for tells me that I need to go exploring. And, given the capabilities of the cyclops and prawn, that almost certainly means going deeper than I already have been.

While my decision to not use the radio (which I freely admit is mostly a role-playing choice) means I'm not getting fed breadcrumbs anymore, I do have a few ideas on where to go looking next - back down to where I found the sea treaders, pushing out past the mushroom forest, or now that the radiation is gone, pressing north past the Aurora. I don't feel like I'm at all directionless or stuck, even if I probably am handicapping myself a bit. :)