Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

DR FRASIER KRANG
Feb 4, 2005

"Are you forgetting that just this afternoon I was punched in the face by a turtle now dead?
we do weezer on the freezer like regular Americans.

it's a lesson we teach about talking to people named Rivers Cuomo and why you shouldn't ever do it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Another Bill
Sep 27, 2018

Born on the bayou
died in a cave
bbq and posting
is all I crave

Keeping the 'Rivers is allegedly a creep' secret from my Weezer loving wife is the grown up version of keeping the 'Santa isn't real' secret from my kids.

lobster shirt
Jun 14, 2021

i like weezer but i don't know how you can look at some of those lyrics and not conclude that rivers is a creep lol

lobster shirt
Jun 14, 2021

also a funny toddler story, i was fixing him his lunch earlier and i was like "okay what do we say when people give us something?", when he didn't say anything i said "we say thank you!" and he was like "no i dn't want to say thank you, i want to say you're welcome". one day he'll get it.

Another Bill
Sep 27, 2018

Born on the bayou
died in a cave
bbq and posting
is all I crave

lobster shirt posted:

i like weezer but i don't know how you can look at some of those lyrics and not conclude that rivers is a creep lol

She's kind of turned after hearing him on Conan's podcast where I understand he acted like a completely pretentious poo poo for an hour.

sullat
Jan 9, 2012

PerniciousKnid posted:

One of the perks of being a COVID shut-in is that we haven't had much opportunity to ruin holidays for others or have them ruined for us.

My head-canon is that Santa is real and I'm him.

It was hard for the kids to believe in Santa when they see Amazon dropping off the presents way before Christmas.

PerniciousKnid
Sep 13, 2006

lobster shirt posted:

also a funny toddler story, i was fixing him his lunch earlier and i was like "okay what do we say when people give us something?", when he didn't say anything i said "we say thank you!" and he was like "no i dn't want to say thank you, i want to say you're welcome". one day he'll get it.
My kids hate when people say "sorry" or "thank you" and run away if you sing happy birthday to them on their birthday. "I don't like when people say nice things to me." I don't know if they're trying to avoid being sucked into social obligations or what, it's weird as gently caress.

sullat posted:

It was hard for the kids to believe in Santa when they see Amazon dropping off the presents way before Christmas.
All our kids' Santa presents come from the local Facebook buy-nothing group.

Kitfox88
Aug 21, 2007

Anybody lose their glasses?

Bar Ran Dun posted:

my kid came home and asked about the elf on the shelf a friend had a couple years ago, December before the pandemic. I told him we don’t have an elf problem at our house because we put out bait and traps.

elf on the shelf is the creepiest poo poo i s2g

Microplastics
Jul 6, 2007

:discourse:
It's what's for dinner.
I learned about elf on the shelf earlier this year and from what I gather it's a manufactured tradition designed to make money and control children's behaviour which turned into a massive international brand

Mustached Demon
Nov 12, 2016

Microplastics posted:

I learned about elf on the shelf earlier this year and from what I gather it's a manufactured tradition designed to make money and control children's behaviour which turned into a massive international brand

yeah it's basically conditioning kids into the police state with bonus jesus sprinkles of magic man's always watching

lobster shirt
Jun 14, 2021

i first became aware of elf on the shelf from the tv show the league and i legit thought they made it up for the show lol

Kitfox88
Aug 21, 2007

Anybody lose their glasses?

Mustached Demon posted:

yeah it's basically conditioning kids into the police state with bonus jesus sprinkles of magic man's always watching

it's some casual dystopia poo poo yeah

bitmap
Aug 8, 2006

Mustached Demon posted:

another equally bewildered immigrant explained it to me as she cut my hair last week. what the gently caress.

F Stop Fitzgerald
Dec 12, 2010

Microplastics posted:

perhaps the same could be said of all religions

bitmap
Aug 8, 2006

and then I actually saw the thing for sale in a toy store just the other day and the fuckin thing has the gall to have "a christmas tradition!" written on the box

brugroffil
Nov 30, 2015

Elf on the shelf is definitely hosed up

Sandtrout Catsuit
Feb 15, 2008

They were all over his body now. He could feel the pulse of his blood against the living membrane.
In our family we agreed to do Santa, but do it badly. So Santa uses the same wrapping paper and has the same handwriting as mom and dad. Also sometimes we do a bad job hiding gifts, prompting my eldest to exclaim that the dollhouse Santa brought her was exactly like the one in the back of the closet.

DR FRASIER KRANG
Feb 4, 2005

"Are you forgetting that just this afternoon I was punched in the face by a turtle now dead?
I love how my kids don't even try to look for presents. I just keep them in a drawer next to my socks.

Chad Sexington
May 26, 2005

I think he made a beautiful post and did a great job and he is good.

DR FRASIER KRANG posted:

I love how my kids don't even try to look for presents. I just keep them in a drawer next to my socks.

I always looked for presents as a kid with no real negative consequences. I enjoyed knowing what N64 game or whatever to get hyped about ahead of time and I still put on a big show for my parents' benefit. Not sure if they ever knew. (Probably?)

PerniciousKnid
Sep 13, 2006
I never looked. I didn't even look at the tree the day of until my sister woke up. I preferred to maintain the surprise.

lobster shirt
Jun 14, 2021

cant believe we still haven't gone to the hospital yet lol. maybe tomorrow!

Son of Thunderbeast
Sep 21, 2002
Has she tried jumping up and down a lot? It could help

Another Bill
Sep 27, 2018

Born on the bayou
died in a cave
bbq and posting
is all I crave

You know what else will help?

Another Bill has issued a correction as of 21:28 on Nov 29, 2022

AxGrap
Jan 11, 2005

☝☯ Ŧ𝓤𝒸Ҝ 𝓨𝕠𝔲! 🐼👽

Another Bill posted:

My wife was 2 weeks over her due date, and we were trying everything, sex included. It was BAD SEX, but for a good cause.

AxGrap has issued a correction as of 21:29 on Nov 29, 2022

Another Bill
Sep 27, 2018

Born on the bayou
died in a cave
bbq and posting
is all I crave

AxGrap posted:

My wife was 2 weeks over her due date, and we were trying everything, sex included. It was BAD SEX, but for a good cause.

On the other hand, squeeze it in while you can because iirc post birth healing takes 6-8 weeks.

Son of Thunderbeast
Sep 21, 2002
I tried to help it along with sex by the doctors and nurses kept yelling at me

Another Bill
Sep 27, 2018

Born on the bayou
died in a cave
bbq and posting
is all I crave

Son of Thunderbeast posted:

It's going to take a lot of concentration and focus but we believe in you

AgentF
May 11, 2009

To make the instructions clear they mean having sex with your wife.

BonHair
Apr 28, 2007

Another Bill posted:

My wife had her water broken by the midwives as part of the induction. It involved basically a knitting needle and a lot of pain, but yeah, basically the gif.

First part was a balloon catheter. Don't Google it if you have a uterus I guess.

Mustached Demon
Nov 12, 2016

Cspam parents: a bunch of goons telling you to bang your very pregnant wife

oh gosh I've heard horror stories of the balloon

BonHair
Apr 28, 2007

Fun fact: it's even less fun on the third attempt

Son of Thunderbeast
Sep 21, 2002
Kiddo's ratings/reviews so far:

Estelle: ⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐
- already has some favorite songs she'll put on repeat
Michael Jackson: ⭐⭐⭐⭐
Lupe Fiasco: ⭐⭐⭐⭐
Mozart: ⭐⭐⭐
- She doesn't actively listen to this or dance, but she likes having it on sometimes during chill times. But she'll usually switch to Estelle after a bit
They Might Be Giants: She asked me to put this on, sat listening to the first 20 seconds of Minimum Wage and then the first 30 seconds of Meet James Ensor looking like 😕🤨 the whole time before getting up and switching to Lupe lmao. 0 stars I think, but I'll try putting it on a boppier song later, see if it catches her interest

Another Bill
Sep 27, 2018

Born on the bayou
died in a cave
bbq and posting
is all I crave

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=q0hyYWKXF0Q

My daughter drove me crazy for a while with Dance Monkey but then we bought her the album and it's actually not bad. Tones seems really cool and I guess I'm fan now.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7T_KKiQiolk

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=us3pCHd8PLs

My daughter meanwhile has dug into all my Aesop Rock records and is probably the coolest 8 year old in central Canada.

We talk about his raps and how he uses language to say one thing but mean another and it's pretty fun dad stuff. I think I'm going to teach her to DJ records next. <3

Chad Sexington
May 26, 2005

I think he made a beautiful post and did a great job and he is good.

- She doesn't actively listen to this or dance, but she likes having it on sometimes during chill times. But she'll usually switch to Estelle after a bit
They Might Be Giants: She asked me to put this on, sat listening to the first 20 seconds of Minimum Wage and then the first 30 seconds of Meet James Ensor looking like 😕🤨 the whole time before getting up and switching to Lupe lmao. 0 stars I think, but I'll try putting it on a boppier song later, see if it catches her interest

Doctor Worm is basically made for kids. Or Why Does The Sun Really Shine for very specific sun facts she can whip out later in life.

AxGrap
Jan 11, 2005

☝☯ Ŧ𝓤𝒸Ҝ 𝓨𝕠𝔲! 🐼👽

Throw a best of daft punk in there, they are not my fave but my kid LOVES them

loquacius
Oct 21, 2008

There's a lot of TMBG which is typically great for kids (Birdhouse in your Soul and We Want A Rock come to mind) but Thunderbeast it kinda sounds like your kid is a little past that by now

Elissimpark
May 20, 2010

Bring me the head of Auguste Escoffier.

Another Bill posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=q0hyYWKXF0Q

My daughter drove me crazy for a while with Dance Monkey but then we bought her the album and it's actually not bad. Tones seems really cool and I guess I'm fan now.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7T_KKiQiolk

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=us3pCHd8PLs

My daughter meanwhile has dug into all my Aesop Rock records and is probably the coolest 8 year old in central Canada.

We talk about his raps and how he uses language to say one thing but mean another and it's pretty fun dad stuff. I think I'm going to teach her to DJ records next. <3

My 4yo was looking over my shoulder as I read this and insisted I play the frog song. Not sure if she liked the song, but she enjoyed the video clip.

I think I'm going to have to listen to Malibu Ken again.

KirbyKhan
Mar 20, 2009

Soiled Meat

lobster shirt posted:

He is very explicit about this in his cover for the Radiohead song "Creep". Anyways this was the top comment their "Say It Ain't So" music video and I think about it all the time.

ikanreed
Sep 25, 2009

I honestly I have no idea who cannibal[SIC] is and I do not know why I should know.

syq dude, just syq!

Mustached Demon posted:

I'm going to take a very small issue with this, in that, developmentally, implied social judgement is a precursor to a more mature fully internal sense of moral understanding.

I don't think the supernatural element is good for kids, but there is a natural process that goes from authority figures judge me, to my peers judge me, to I judge me.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

brugroffil
Nov 30, 2015

loquacius posted:

There's a lot of TMBG which is typically great for kids (Birdhouse in your Soul and We Want A Rock come to mind) but Thunderbeast it kinda sounds like your kid is a little past that by now

They have five albums they made specifically for children and did the theme song for a Mickey Mouse show. Spotify even separates TMBG kids and non-kids into different "artists." Here's their kids albums:
https://tmbw.net/wiki/Category:Children%27s_Albums

Can't beat the Istanbul or Particle Man Tiny toons videos though.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Uc_yjslD2XQ

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-ooV6e7b5d4