Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ILL Machina
Mar 25, 2004

:italy: Glory to Italia! :italy:

Ayy!! This text is-a the color of marinara! Ohhhh!! Dat's amore!!

RealityWarCriminal posted:

Talents were right after 2016 iirc

if you were even slightly good before, you will likely be dogshit now, and it will take a while for your mmr to adjust. I can tell you though, that if you push through it and work on improving, it will not get better.

I can also guarantee that you'll play with/against a lot of returners that have no idea what they're doing and you'll have a similar amount of fun as before, depending on your own personal development.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Geight
Aug 7, 2010

Oh, All-Knowing One, behold me!
Yeah mostly I kept the game fun by learning how to be okay with losing sometimes (a lot)

Sab669
Sep 24, 2009

Do you have to buy ($$) the new Chest with the cool Chen & PB skins? I thought it was part of the Battlepass but I don't seem to have any of them (level 263 BP)

Love Stole the Day
Nov 4, 2012
Please give me free quality professional advice so I can be a baby about it and insult you

Mr.Acula posted:

this game makes me want to shoot myself in the face

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

Sab669 posted:

Do you have to buy ($$) the new Chest with the cool Chen & PB skins? I thought it was part of the Battlepass but I don't seem to have any of them (level 263 BP)

Collector's Cache always costs money

Sab669
Sep 24, 2009

That's lovely.

TOOT BOOT
May 25, 2010

I hit the reverse lottery yesterday and had not one but two games where the pos 4 first picked a carry and then went jungle.

Love Stole the Day
Nov 4, 2012
Please give me free quality professional advice so I can be a baby about it and insult you

Mr.Acula posted:

Love Stole the Day
Nov 4, 2012

Mr.Acula posted:

Nanomashoes
Aug 18, 2012

I was 5k pre talents and now I'm 3k but also have like an 80% winrate just playing the broken offlaners.

CyberPingu
Sep 15, 2013

If you're not striving to improve, you'll end up going backwards.
:negative:

Had an easy win game last night, 1 racks away from megacreeps. Our carry jugg gets aegis and then decides he wants to push highground before our raid boss tiny respawns.

Pushes into Bristle, sniper and Slark, has no bkb, dies twice, no buyback, instead of pulling back to defend (we had all 3 lanes of racks + 2 tier 2 towers), our mid pudge goes in to try "help", dies with no buyback and they waltz down mid and win...

Silver lining though is im enjoying playing grimstroke, hes very broken in lane with a melee offlaner

Sab669
Sep 24, 2009

I got stuck playing pos1 my last two games, which is probably my worst position. Drow & Warlock vs Magnus & Abadon; got pooped on and was sure we were gonna lose but somehow we kept it together and I got a Rampage as we pushed for rax so we took their throne instead :toot: Game after that I played some good ol' Skeleton King and we just crushed all 3 lanes basically. Good times.

Lost my 1 Pudge game though. Started out OK, fairly even, but then our Slark rushed Aghs which seems highly questionable? We just had zero damage and got poo poo on by Alc / Weaver :sigh:

I generally never buy chests but I decided to buy 10x of the Collector Cache. Got the Chen hat I wanted, but of course not the PB one which is a shame because while I do like Chen a lot he's not a hero I'm always in the mood to play, whereas PB I have to talk myself out of picking him literally every game.

interrodactyl
Nov 8, 2011

you have no dignity

Sab669 posted:

Lost my 1 Pudge game though. Started out OK, fairly even, but then our Slark rushed Aghs which seems highly questionable? We just had zero damage and got poo poo on by Alc / Weaver :sigh:

One small item (diffusal / echo saber / midas) into aghs is the typical build for Slark this patch because it lets him go in and out of fights and gives a lot more chase potential.

sugar free jazz
Mar 5, 2008

Sab669 posted:

I got stuck playing pos1 my last two games, which is probably my worst position. Drow & Warlock vs Magnus & Abadon; got pooped on and was sure we were gonna lose but somehow we kept it together and I got a Rampage as we pushed for rax so we took their throne instead :toot: Game after that I played some good ol' Skeleton King and we just crushed all 3 lanes basically. Good times.

I generally never buy chests but I decided to buy 10x of the Collector Cache. Got the Chen hat I wanted, but of course not the PB one which is a shame because while I do like Chen a lot he's not a hero I'm always in the mood to play, whereas PB I have to talk myself out of picking him literally every game.

Yeah, something like falcon diffu agh is the normal slark build

Sab669
Sep 24, 2009

If he went Echo first I probably wouldn't have thought anything about the Aghs.

But yea getting it first, he just couldn't kill anything. Enemy team was Weaver, Alchemist, Puck, Lion and Treant.

With how mobile Puck and Weaver are I could totally see wanting the added mobility. But gotta get a little damage first little fish...

Plank Walker
Aug 11, 2005
Yeah maybe aghs first works if they're not that mobile actually, since you can build the damage from stacks then just chase them down, but if you don't have the damage to finish off puck and weaver during the disable they're just going to gtfo

I don't really feel like slarks on my team accomplish that much lately, but I think that's lineup related. Usually end up drafting almost like a 4 protect 1 with the first 4 picks, then getting a slark or riki or someone else who doesn't want to stay in a fight and 4 other heroes that hold a zone for a while but lack the damage to finish off the enemy team while slark is chasing a support away, when we'd rather have a drow or sniper or someone throwing damage into the fight instead.

Sab669
Sep 24, 2009

Slark is firmly in that space of "the enemy Slark picker is a God, they when I / my team mates picks it we're braindead troglodytes"

Oodles
Oct 31, 2005

What is it with Magnus' and whiffing RP

CyberPingu
Sep 15, 2013

Oodles posted:

What is it with Magnus' and whiffing RP

Im guessing people dont get how blink works and they just try blink outwith the cast range, which nails them with the distance penalty.

Then they just immediately hit RP without checking where they land

Original_Z
Jun 14, 2005
Z so good
Does blink still have the distance penalty? I thought they removed it.

Sab669
Sep 24, 2009

I thought they removed that too, but just checked the wikia then in game and you still get penalized if you click beyond its max range.

Also, I have 3,825 Hours logged in DOTA and just now I learned that Blink Dagger supposedly plays 1 of 2 sound effects depending on how far you Blinked?

https://static.wikia.nocookie.net/dota2_gamepedia/images/0/07/Blink_Dagger_Blink_1.mp3
https://static.wikia.nocookie.net/dota2_gamepedia/images/7/77/Blink_Dagger_Blink_2.mp3

It says that second clip "only plays when the blinked distance is greater than 960"
Just loaded up a demo game and I can't hear the difference in game though...

Sab669 fucked around with this message at 03:20 on Nov 29, 2022

CyberPingu
Sep 15, 2013

Daily rant about dota pubs:

A) Why the gently caress dont carries buy BKB, i swear to christ ive lost 3 games this week due solely to our cores not having bkb and being stun locked in fights.
B) Why the gently caress dont Enigmas use their ults unless they will catch 5 people in it.

Nfcknblvbl
Jul 15, 2002

If the carry's Juggernaut or Lifestealer they might get away without BKB otherwise I totally agree. When I play PA carry for example I usually avoid fights unless BKB's off cooldown.

CyberPingu
Sep 15, 2013

Nfcknblvbl posted:

If the carry's Juggernaut or Lifestealer they might get away without BKB otherwise I totally agree. When I play PA carry for example I usually avoid fights unless BKB's off cooldown.

So the last two carries were Jugg and Lifestealer, but when you are facing a team with CM, Shadow Shaman & LC i think a bkb is stupidly useful, especially for jugg as once blade fury runs out you are in trouble

Oodles
Oct 31, 2005

I’m relatively new to Dota, 2 years and 2k matches, and just played Spirit Breaker. Why did no one tell me sooner that this hero is so much fun.

4 games, 3 wins.

Space Cow goes moo.

Sab669
Sep 24, 2009

CyberPingu posted:

Daily rant about dota pubs:

A) Why the gently caress dont carries buy BKB, i swear to christ ive lost 3 games this week due solely to our cores not having bkb and being stun locked in fights.
B) Why the gently caress dont Enigmas use their ults unless they will catch 5 people in it.

I imagine it goes something like this: "Hmmmm 4050g for 24 damage and an extra button I need to remember to press, OR 3500g for +50 Damage and -6 Armor and no additional buttons? :downs:"
As far as the second one, I mean I kinda get "wanting to get the most out of" your 2-3 minute cooldown. But yea people don't realize killing their carry is worth the CD or whatever.

Oodles posted:

I’m relatively new to Dota, 2 years and 2k matches

I don't think you can continue describing yourself as "new" to DOTA with 2k games :colbert:
But yea Space Cow is great fun. There's just something so satisfying about Charging dudes across the map. Wonder how many Hours I had played when I learned using Shadow Blade while charging doesn't interrupt the charge...

Sab669 fucked around with this message at 18:32 on Nov 29, 2022

Oodles
Oct 31, 2005

Sab669 posted:

I don't think you can continue describing yourself as "new" to DOTA with 2k games

I’m trying to excuse my badness at the game. 2k games, just ranked up to guardian 1

Sab669
Sep 24, 2009

Just gotta accept that everyone sucks at DOTA.

> Game is hard

Plank Walker
Aug 11, 2005
my favorite thing to do as spirit breaker is to show on one side of the map, then go out of vision for a bit, tp to the lane i want to gank and charge at the hero from there. cross map charges are overrated imo, i only use long distance charges to get back to lane after a gank. if i'm going on a guy, i'd rather come at them from angles that aren't warded and have a shorter charge anyway so teammates don't scare them away by getting aggressive the second they see the charge icon

Nfcknblvbl
Jul 15, 2002

As a Tinker picker, I really enjoy when my Spirit Breaker charges from across the map. Get ready for the missile spam!

Plank Walker
Aug 11, 2005

Nfcknblvbl posted:

As a Tinker picker, I really enjoy when my Spirit Breaker charges from across the map. Get ready for the missile spam!

Yeah that's nice too, or if you have a PA or Riki who needs vision to blink on the enemy, or the enemy is a blink guy like AM or QOP. But generally, if I'm the one initiating or I want the charge to actually hit the target, I try to do it from closer range, if I'm trying to keep vision or a fight is going on already, I'll throw it on one of the enemies in there from wherever I am when I realize what's going on

Also the aghs is mandatory

Nfcknblvbl
Jul 15, 2002

Just pray that Roshan doesn't bash you on the way haha

TOOT BOOT
May 25, 2010

https://www.dota2.com/patches/7.32d

Nfcknblvbl
Jul 15, 2002

Wraith Pact
Ward aura no longer reduces Magical or Pure damage (still affects physical damage from attacks and spells)

Yay!

Pulse Nova
Now has a 1s cooldown after it is toggled off
Damage decreased from 100/150/200 to 90/140/190

Also yay!

Sab669
Sep 24, 2009

I wish their patch notes page wasn't impossible to read on a phone, drat. Can't get my desk for a few hours.

Kind of a lame change to Wraith Pact, like why ever buy Crimson Guard I guess? Don't get me wrong it needed to be changed, but that just seems really uninspired.

Sab669 fucked around with this message at 22:59 on Nov 29, 2022

CyberPingu
Sep 15, 2013

Wraith Pact was one of those really hard to balance items that probably should have been necro book'd imo.

Sab669
Sep 24, 2009

:shrug: Like I said before, it already has a visual pulse effect to it despite the fact that if you are in range you are effected by it. Lean into that and make it actually apply a short debuff to enemies in range each time it pulses.

The totem lasts 25 seconds; make it pulse every 5 seconds and debuff enemies for ~2 seconds each pulse.
And maybe make it no longer killable?
Tinker with durations / cooldowns / recipe costs etc.

I wouldn't miss it one bit if it were gone, but I don't think it's nearly as hard to balance as Necrobook was.

Sab669 fucked around with this message at 16:56 on Nov 30, 2022

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

Oodles posted:

I’m relatively new to Dota, 2 years and 2k matches, and just played Spirit Breaker. Why did no one tell me sooner that this hero is so much fun.

4 games, 3 wins.

Space Cow goes moo.

My most played hero and I have ~70 percent winrate on him. When you just wanna kill heroes break their spirits.

Groovelord Neato fucked around with this message at 21:06 on Nov 30, 2022

Nfcknblvbl
Jul 15, 2002

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=88bfWUdWGDU

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Love Stole the Day
Nov 4, 2012

Mr.Acula posted: