Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Should I step down as head of twitter
This poll is closed.
Yes 420 4.43%
No 69 0.73%
Goku 9001 94.85%
Total: 9490 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

Tell him about the blower!

Steadiman posted:

https://twitter.com/FLVoiceNews/status/1597619967062863874
Lol sure, why not. Apple hasn't even done anything yet but gently caress it, let's get congress involved. Not like they have anything better to do.

Fascinating. So removing the app for violating Store TOS is a monopoly act because Twitter isn't available as a website on literally any device, I guess. And Apple is literally the only company making mobile devices.
I mean, I don't particularly care for Apple's walled garden in a lot of respects, but it does serve to make the platform more trouble-free.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MrQwerty
Apr 15, 2003

LOVE IS BEAUTIFUL
(づ ̄ ³ ̄)づ♥(‘∀’●)

RDM posted:

If they were good developers they'd automate lengthening their code. Checkmate.

I mean, paying people to write AI's to do disastrous poo poo to infrastructure seems to be his game.

zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos

Kafouille posted:

Elon is all about engineering, or rather what he thinks and dreams engineering is. He loves the nuts and bolts and clever little technical details, all the fancy little tricks real engineers sometimes do, and thinks it's ALL about those things. He seems to think that the entire job is to come up with novel and inventive solutions, and assumes everything beyond that is easy and will just fall into place on it's own, not something that is worth his time.

Hence he is fundamentally incapable of understanding what people at Twitter actually do, if you're not busy coming up with a BRAND NEW REVOLUTIONARY FEATURE why am I even paying you for, right ?

Turns out social media isn't really about about solving technical problems, it's about fostering a social dynamic. Features on something like Twitter aren't something you just slap on because you can, it's about steering the dynamic. It's not like the character limit is a pesky technical limitation they haven't been able to solve. The whole checkmark fiasco really embodies how he's fundamentally incapable of understanding that even on the most obvious and basic level.

I think that's where the obsession with code comes from, in his mind the Twitter product is an app with a text box. How hard can that be ?
The character limit is a pesky technical limitation with impacts on in-motion and at-rest infrastructure and UIX. Like it could be bigger but it was chosen not to be and if you wanted to change it again good luck.

The Last Call
Sep 9, 2011

Rehabilitating sinner
https://twitter.com/elonmusk/status/1597629846611726336

Sure, go ahead, fight google as well.

What could go wrong?

Hardcastlemccormik
Jul 19, 2022
https://www.theguardian.com/technology/2022/nov/28/tesla-drivers-elon-musk-twitter-road-rage

Are Tesla owners just developing a persecution complex or do people really hate Musk now? Tough to say.

A farting mink
Nov 6, 2022

by Pragmatica

whydirt posted:

What’s stopping the workers left at Twitter from just copy/pasting old code for these reviews?

gently caress all. Neither Elon nor anyone else is actually looking at the code presented. Elon fires the ones he decides there and then that he just doesn't like. The coding thing is just a lovely fratboy hazing ritual.

kw0134
Apr 19, 2003

I buy feet pics🍆

The biggest example of "just throw code at it" is Star Citizen, the Centralia coal mine fire that's been ongoing for the last decade, which hasn't produced a game so much as a vortex of unfulfilled promises of a Cryengine mod masquerading as an MMO while sucking funding for such magical things as...a single proc gen'ed river where you can stare at it. You know, in a space shooting game with space ships. Over a decade of an endless parade of underskilled devs being thrown at a problem that has no solution, creating "features" that no one asks for being crammed into a framework that can't really support it, and will get dropped immediately once the person responsible finds a better job.

Nitrousoxide
May 30, 2011

do not buy a oneplus phone

CommieGIR posted:

Because you write code to solve a problem, not just writing code for the sake of writing code. This is also part of why Musk's measure of performance, firing those with the least amount of committed lines of code, is also dumb: You don't write long lines of code if short amounts will solve the problem better.

Musk demanding engineers just write code for no real project or program implies he doesn't actually know what they need to achieve. Its demanding busywork. He's basically pulling a 'you got time to lean, you got time to clean' which doesn't translate well to coding or engineering in general.

Also, it's probably not a best use of the managers' time to be trying to churn out code themselves instead of checking the work of the their subordinates or planning their team's utilization.

TulliusCicero
Jul 29, 2017

The Last Call posted:

What could go wrong?

...MAGA is a bad thing now?

What?

Why is he mad at Google now?

You can just use Twitter on your browser you loving clown

hemale in pain
Jun 5, 2010

TulliusCicero posted:

What?

musk probably doesn't know that

MrQwerty
Apr 15, 2003

LOVE IS BEAUTIFUL
(づ ̄ ³ ̄)づ♥(‘∀’●)

TulliusCicero posted:

What?

Apple and Google already bought and own/contract the payment infrastructure that he doesn't want to pay corpo tax on

Kafouille
Nov 5, 2004

Think Fast !

zedprime posted:

The character limit is a pesky technical limitation with impacts on in-motion and at-rest infrastructure and UIX. Like it could be bigger but it was chosen not to be and if you wanted to change it again good luck.

Yeah, the current architecture of Twitter is currently defined around it so it would be hard to change it, and it WAS originally a pure technical artifact due to the SMS based nature of it at first, but it's survived this long trough an absolutely massive amount of internal change because it's a deliberate choice meant to shape the use of the site, not because it's an intractable technical problem.

Droogie
Mar 21, 2007

But what I do
I do
because I like to do.

Why doesn't the musk just make people in teslas code for twitter when they're in autopilot mode? He can pay them in increased battery range since he was trying to make the last 20% a subscription. Or he can pay in a theoretical smaller percent chance of the vehicle immolating the occupants.

Azhais
Feb 5, 2007
Switchblade Switcharoo

The Last Call posted:

What could go wrong?

"Weirdly twitter isn't showing up in search results"

MrQwerty
Apr 15, 2003

LOVE IS BEAUTIFUL
(づ ̄ ³ ̄)づ♥(‘∀’●)

this makes him so loving pissed all day every day and has for 20+ years

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

Hardcastlemccormik posted:

https://www.theguardian.com/technology/2022/nov/28/tesla-drivers-elon-musk-twitter-road-rage

Are Tesla owners just developing a persecution complex or do people really hate Musk now? Tough to say.

It's the former. No one is road raging you because they saw you driving a Tesla and they just really hate Elon Musk, that assumption is stupid as hell. People are rude drivers sometimes, especially in the winter

Strong Sauce
Jul 2, 2003

You know I am not really your father.

Light Gun Man posted:

I dunno enough about either to know how apt it is, and I'll throw it out there anyway. saying "fix the problem with more code" is sort of like saying you should fix a painting by adding just buckets of more paint? like the addition of more does not mean it's improving. it's a process of deciding where and how much you want to use to achieve the look you are going for.

musk is also kind of falling for this with his posting. he just keeps posting more, going for volume I guess, without regard for the quality of said posts.

this is pretty good one.

Serious_Cyclone
Oct 25, 2017

I appreciate your patience, this is a tricky maneuver
Hard to argue that DeSantis isn't the defacto leader of the party when he, as a governor, is making declarative statements about what Congress should do in retaliation for Apple dropping the Twitter app from their store.

MrQwerty
Apr 15, 2003

LOVE IS BEAUTIFUL
(づ ̄ ³ ̄)づ♥(‘∀’●)

QuarkJets posted:

It's the former. No one is road raging you because they saw you driving a Tesla and they just really hate Elon Musk, that assumption is stupid as hell. People are rude drivers sometimes, especially in the winter

Tesla drivers are loving assholes, unless they're using autopilot or whatever they want to call it now, in which case they're super assholes.

Projection top to bottom from their shoddy cars they can't see out of and don't have to drive.

Strong Sauce
Jul 2, 2003

You know I am not really your father.

elon talking about these tech monopolies meanwhile his tesla charging stations exist.

Klyith
Aug 3, 2007

GBS Pledge Week

Hardcastlemccormik posted:

Right-wing shitheads have been aggro driving or rolling coal on priuses and teslas for years now, dumb to think this is about a thing that only the most always-online people really care about.

Franks Happy Place
Mar 15, 2011

It is by weed alone I set my mind in motion. It is by the dank of Sapho that thoughts acquire speed, the lips acquire stains, stains become a warning. It is by weed alone I set my mind in motion.

Strong Sauce posted:

elon talking about these tech monopolies meanwhile his tesla charging stations exist.

lol you beat me to this, but I'll add that he was also lobbying the government (fed and states) for subsidies to build these proprietary stations

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

I had a video of that when I was about 6.

I remember it being shit.

Grimey Drawer
Hm, on one hand "lol", but on the other hand, gently caress it would be nice to break up some of those firms...

kazil
Jul 24, 2005

Derpmph trial star reporter!

Elon is less "taking on tech companies" and more trying to weasel out of paying Apple and Google their cut of money because Twitter is broke as poo poo and can't really afford it

MrQwerty
Apr 15, 2003

LOVE IS BEAUTIFUL
(づ ̄ ³ ̄)づ♥(‘∀’●)

kazil posted:

Elon is less "taking on tech companies" and more trying to weasel out of paying Apple and Google their cut of money because Twitter is broke as poo poo and can't really afford it

yeah it's this, he wants to save as much face as possible on twitter but all he's doing is pulling Tesla stock into it further because he's loving stupid

F_Shit_Fitzgerald
Feb 2, 2017

The Last Call posted:

What could go wrong?

He's kinda right, but for stupid/wrong reasons: Amazon, Google and Apple do control too much of the modern internet's infrastructure, and that puts them in a special position to make arbitrary decisions that affect everyone (e.g: Google Chrome moving to a new technology - can't remember the name - that basically kills adblockers).

But when you're the CEO of a website like Twitter, pissing off these big companies because you're too much of a spoiled manchild to pay your bills is....not smart.

e: Quoting the right post would probably help this post make a lot more sense.

F_Shit_Fitzgerald fucked around with this message at 18:58 on Nov 29, 2022

CatstropheWaitress
Nov 26, 2017

QuarkJets posted:

Experts agree almost universally agree that you don't want to write more code, you want to write less. Smaller codebases are faster to to develop, easier to document, and easier for someone later to parse and debug if something goes wrong. There are limits to that, but generally it's a lot easier to poo poo out large quantities of ineffective code than it is to write a small amount of good code. A massive codebase that does very little is often the signature of novice development.

This is why Elon's strategy is so disastrous - eliminating developers who write the least code may catch some hypothetical employees who are time-inefficient, but it's definitely going to eliminate your best and highest-impact developers.

You also want managers managing. Project and people management is a full time job. These dictations from on high are the most bewildering things as it's pretty clear he's on the burnout express. I've had bosses who work too much, they were not as good a boss as those who focused on managing. I've seen bosses expect people to work late repeatedly to diminishing returns and eventually losing those employees. Granted, neither cases involved a cult of personality, which maybe Elon has going for him.

It remains scary how giddily some people are to make an rear end in a top hat a christ figure.

zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos

A farting mink posted:

gently caress all. Neither Elon nor anyone else is actually looking at the code presented. Elon fires the ones he decides there and then that he just doesn't like. The coding thing is just a lovely fratboy hazing ritual.
Musk may be firing people based on unrelated things using the code review as an excuse to weasel out of labor obligations but he is definitely going through the code going "mmhmm mhmm, yes how peculiar" because it makes him feel 20 again.

Underwhelmed
Mar 7, 2004

Nap Ghost
Apple and Google suck, but Musk dashing his company against the rocks in an act of performative alphaness against them would make me like them a little more.

Comfy Fleece Sweater
Apr 2, 2013

You see, but you do not observe.

It’s not fair what they did to Pepe

I saw that documentary about the creator and how they ruined his life

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=ZEiqZWw5vYs

I feel like we should reclaim him for the broader internet, stop this nazi cultural appropriation

Steadiman
Jan 31, 2006

Hey...what kind of party is this? there's no booze and only one hooker!

silly sevens

The Last Call posted:

What could go wrong?

He was always gonna have to go after Google too, their play store works pretty much the same so it was inevitable he'd have to involve them at some point.

I am curious about the "they control access to the internet" line. He said it yesterday too and I'm kinda confused what point he thinks he's making here. What do the app stores have to do with accessing the internet? I feel he's trying a new attack but I can't wrap my head around this one

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

I had a video of that when I was about 6.

I remember it being shit.

Grimey Drawer
Chrome and Safari, presumably.

TulliusCicero
Jul 29, 2017

Steadiman posted:

He was always gonna have to go after Google too, their play store works pretty much the same so it was inevitable he'd have to involve them at some point.

I am curious about the "they control access to the internet" line. He said it yesterday too and I'm kinda confused what point he thinks he's making here. What do the app stores have to do with accessing the internet? I feel he's trying a new attack but I can't wrap my head around this one

It's the Jews obviously

Like no really, he's doing some pretty obvious dog whistling here

Jelly
Feb 11, 2004

Ask me about my STD collection!

BIG FLUFFY DOG posted:

If I keep making my novel longer my story will be better

This is a great analogy because I can see a lot of Musk bowel-cleansers thinking this is true.

Ups_rail
Dec 8, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

The Last Call posted:

What could go wrong?

something something internet starlink

gently caress for 44 billion elon coulda laid some fiber cables

Kale
May 14, 2010

Maybe letting an absolute nutcase have complete control of a major social media app wasnt such a great plan after all. If it wasnt America some sort of regulation agency probably would have made note of this an intervened to keep it from going this way.

Shaking lemur butt
Jan 5, 2015

:haw: :v: :ohdear: :cool:

MrQwerty posted:

this makes him so loving pissed all day every day and has for 20+ years

Idgi

Kafouille
Nov 5, 2004

Think Fast !
Using an actual web browser is something that is becoming increasingly old-fashioned, using a browser on mobile is pretty much terrible on purpose for big sites.

Aramis
Sep 22, 2009

Steadiman posted:

I think he's trying to piggyback off the EU going hard against Google based on the same general lines. It's the only legal battlefield that has had any sort of success against Google & co.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

StarkRavingMad
Sep 27, 2001

Yams Fan

Comfy Fleece Sweater posted:

It’s not fair what they did to Pepe

I saw that documentary about the creator and how they ruined his life

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=ZEiqZWw5vYs

I feel like we should reclaim him for the broader internet, stop this nazi cultural appropriation

it's largely reclaimed on twitch, people have spammed frog emotes everywhere to the point where it has no meaning other than being a silly character again

I remember there was an article somewhere about the creator being surprised and pleased by this because he had no idea