Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

neckbeard
Jan 25, 2004

Oh Bambi, I cried so hard when those hunters shot your mommy...
Got a Nikon Z6ii yesterday, just using my old 70-300 until I can buy a 200-500 (my old Tamron 150-600 G1's AF and VC don't work through the FTZ II adapter)

Downy Woodpecker by Tyler Huestis, on Flickr
White-Breasted Nuthatch by Tyler Huestis, on Flickr
Red-Breastetd Nuthatch by Tyler Huestis, on Flickr
Black-Capped Chickadee by Tyler Huestis, on Flickr

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Slotducks
Oct 16, 2008

Nobody puts Phil in a corner.

Those are really really nice photos neckbeard - Really nice quality

Here's some recent highlights from an October outing. I was really trying to focus more on lighting and composition rather than just getting something to post on Instagram (so they're not cropped/composed for vertical 4x5)

Red-breasted Merganser

Canada Goose

Mallard

Ring-billed Gull

Great Blue Heron

torgeaux
Dec 31, 2004
I serve...

neckbeard posted:

Got a Nikon Z6ii yesterday, just using my old 70-300 until I can buy a 200-500 (my old Tamron 150-600 G1's AF and VC don't work through the FTZ II adapter)

Downy Woodpecker by Tyler Huestis, on Flickr
White-Breasted Nuthatch by Tyler Huestis, on Flickr
Red-Breastetd Nuthatch by Tyler Huestis, on Flickr
Black-Capped Chickadee by Tyler Huestis, on Flickr

Where are you? I could go out and shoot those four birds in 10 minutes in my yard. They're my most common yard birds (nuthatches are about my favorite birds, they're so drat social). The woodpecker can go gently caress itself. Having a wood sided house will push you to hate them.

edit: Read my comment when it posted, and realized it sounded dismissive. I checked your flickr and saw Edmonton? So far away (Denver area), but such similar geography and bird ranges.

torgeaux fucked around with this message at 18:26 on Nov 28, 2022

Philthy
Jan 28, 2003

Pillbug
That gull looks like he's had a long day.

neckbeard
Jan 25, 2004

Oh Bambi, I cried so hard when those hunters shot your mommy...

torgeaux posted:

Where are you? I could go out and shoot those four birds in 10 minutes in my yard. They're my most common yard birds (nuthatches are about my favorite birds, they're so drat social). The woodpecker can go gently caress itself. Having a wood sided house will push you to hate them.

edit: Read my comment when it posted, and realized it sounded dismissive. I checked your flickr and saw Edmonton? So far away (Denver area), but such similar geography and bird ranges.

Yeah, I'm up in Edmonton. I was hoping to luck out with there being Waxwings or Grosbeaks migrating into the area. These are all common year-round birds up here.

torgeaux
Dec 31, 2004
I serve...

neckbeard posted:

Yeah, I'm up in Edmonton. I was hoping to luck out with there being Waxwings or Grosbeaks migrating into the area. These are all common year-round birds up here.

I get no wax wings, and grosbeaks for about a week. The others compete with Stellars Jay for my most common.

Sorbus
Apr 1, 2010
Great tit by Eero Vuorinen, on Flickr

Living in Finland, we get only a couple of hours of daylight this time of year and now it has been cloudy so the "day" is basically dark grey. This is almost straight outta camera, just cropped a bit and desaturated the background some and made the bird pop.

bobmarleysghost
Mar 7, 2006

toggle
Nov 7, 2005

bombing run

Philthy
Jan 28, 2003

Pillbug
Put that second one on the wall.

Sorbus
Apr 1, 2010
Winter in Finland: there is no light at all but the cold brings interesting species to cities. This I just shot in a park five minutes away from my workplace, he/she has been in the area for two weeks now.

Northern hawk-owl by Eero Vuorinen, on Flickr

yum! by Eero Vuorinen, on Flickr

jarlywarly
Aug 31, 2018

Kestrel Pink Dawn Take Off by Aves Lux, on Flickr

vonnegutt
Aug 7, 2006
Hobocamp.

Beautiful!

Philthy
Jan 28, 2003

Pillbug
:stare: That lens exif.

jarlywarly
Aug 31, 2018

Sunset Stonechat by Aves Lux, on Flickr

Fabulousity
Dec 29, 2008

Number One I order you to take a number two.

Pollen is a helluva drug

DSC_3435 by Brian G, on Flickr

majour333
Mar 2, 2005

Mouthfart.
Fun Shoe

majour333 fucked around with this message at 02:29 on Dec 10, 2022

Slotducks
Oct 16, 2008

I'm obsessed with gulls absolutely going apeshit over a small piece of food. Lots of emotion on display.

jarlywarly
Aug 31, 2018

Slotducks posted:

I'm obsessed with gulls absolutely going apeshit over a small piece of food. Lots of emotion on display.

There was a pitched battle over a bag of hula hoops in the reserve carpark on Sunday, if they just worked out agriculture and division of labour there would be less pecking all around

Male Chaffinch by Aves Lux, on Flickr

Philthy
Jan 28, 2003

Pillbug
Lighting and colors on that is fantastic.

Bulky Bartokomous
Nov 3, 2006

In Mypos, only the strong survive.

Philthy posted:

Lighting and colors on that is fantastic.

Seriously. Gorgeous shot.

Here's my favorite bird sitting for a nice portrait the other day.

Bulky Bartokomous
Nov 3, 2006

Juvie Bald Eagle checking me out.

jarlywarly
Aug 31, 2018

Bulky Bartokomous posted:

Juvie Bald Eagle checking me out.

Nice, could try boosting the shadows on that one

Bulky Bartokomous
Nov 3, 2006

jarlywarly posted:

Nice, could try boosting the shadows on that one

I actually stopped at another place near the eagles to look for kestrels at a place they are reported to hang out but there was nothing going on there. I've never seen one (only been into birds for about a year now).

So, how does one go about "boosting the shadows" on that one? Like what kind of investment in software and time in learning to use it are we talking about? Until I bought DenoiseAI last year I'd never tried editing photos before other than cropping (if that even counts as editing). I ended up picking up SharpenAI and GigapixelAI when they were on sale but haven't really produced good results. DenoiseAI is very intuitive, and I use it all the time. I'm pretty noob at this.

jarlywarly
Aug 31, 2018

I actually stopped at another place near the eagles to look for kestrels at a place they are reported to hang out but there was nothing going on there. I've never seen one (only been into birds for about a year now).

So, how does one go about "boosting the shadows" on that one? Like what kind of investment in software and time in learning to use it are we talking about? Until I bought DenoiseAI last year I'd never tried editing photos before other than cropping (if that even counts as editing). I ended up picking up SharpenAI and GigapixelAI when they were on sale but haven't really produced good results. DenoiseAI is very intuitive, and I use it all the time. I'm pretty noob at this.

The most basic free raw editors would allow you boost your shadows, and it would work much better if you were shooting raw.

Of course given this shot turned out like this likely when shooting dark birds in the sky you need to boost your exposure compensation a stop.

jarlywarly
Aug 31, 2018
This is like 2 sliders in Lightroom on your JPEG, so more time on a RAW file gets you much further without the artifacts I got with the JPEG.

But you want to try to get that exposure right in the field as close as possible to give you a good starting point to make the use of your dynamic range.

Bulky Bartokomous
Nov 3, 2006

I appreciate the information. Looks like I have the next steps mapped out on my journey.

Bonus adult shot. This is barely cropped, she snagged a fish out of the lake right in front of me.

E: Confession time. I thought raw just meant an unedited file, I didn't realize it was a kind of image format until I read the way you referred to it in your post. Maybe I should buy DSLR for Dummies or something.

Bulky Bartokomous fucked around with this message at 04:02 on Dec 19, 2022

Philthy
Jan 28, 2003

Pillbug
You're getting good shots! There are just piles of YouTube videos on exposure and editing software. The usual go-to is Lightroom if you can afford it. And always, the best way to learn is to do. Try manual modes around the house and see how everything works and incorporate it into your shooting style. Digital images are free, so just do. You honestly have the hard part over with if you're finding birds in flight and getting sharp images.

Philthy fucked around with this message at 05:43 on Dec 19, 2022

Wibla
Feb 16, 2011

Shooting against the sky like that I usually do +2/3-1 stop. Darktable is a good free lightroom alternative. Not as polished though.

Bulky Bartokomous
Nov 3, 2006

Thanks everyone, I really appreciate the tips and encouragement. It really is a testament to the people at Canon and Tamron, though, that they could make a camera that lets someone as amateur as me produce images that are not terrible. Modern cameras are pretty much magic.

E: So, just curious, what % of the time do people shoot raw? It seems like the extra headache of having to convert to JPEG manually is worth the risk of capturing something really cool and not having a raw version of it.

Bulky Bartokomous fucked around with this message at 15:42 on Dec 19, 2022

jarlywarly
Aug 31, 2018

Thanks everyone, I really appreciate the tips and encouragement. It really is a testament to the people at Canon and Tamron, though, that they could make a camera that lets someone as amateur as me produce images that are not terrible. Modern cameras are pretty much magic.

E: So, just curious, what % of the time do people shoot raw? It seems like the extra headache of having to convert to JPEG manually is worth the risk of capturing something really cool and not having a raw version of it.

I never shoot anything else, the ability to recover shadows and deal with highlights is critical and especially useful in nature photography.

If you want to dip your toe, set your camera to RAW + JPEG and then have a mess with the RAW so see what you get.

Wibla
Feb 16, 2011

I shoot raw+jpeg for most things, but jpeg for birds since the raw buffer on the D750 is pitiful. Don't do that without having nailed your settings though :v:

Mega Comrade
Apr 22, 2004

Listen buddy, we all got problems!

Wibla posted:

I shoot raw+jpeg for most things, but jpeg for birds since the raw buffer on the D750 is pitiful. Don't do that without having nailed your settings though :v:

Isn't the buffer like 12ish shots for 14bit? That's not awful but I can see it being limited for BIF, you could go down to 12bit, would probably double it and you only lose a smidge of data in the darkest of shadows.

Wibla
Feb 16, 2011

Mega Comrade posted:

Isn't the buffer like 12ish shots for 14bit? That's not awful but I can see it being limited for BIF, you could go down to 12bit, would probably double it and you only lose a smidge of data in the darkest of shadows.

You know, I hadn't looked into that, going to check it out tonight :sun:

I have a pretty good in-camera jpeg preset, so it's not a big deal, but this warrants investigation.

Mega Comrade
Apr 22, 2004

Listen buddy, we all got problems!
Found a chart :)

Nikon D750 NEF (RAW), Lossless compressed, 14-bit , shots: 15, CS: 2.3 sec
Nikon D750 NEF (RAW), Lossless compressed, 12-bit, shots : 25, CS: 3.8 sec
Nikon D750 NEF (RAW), Compressed, 14-bit, shots : 21, CS : 3.2 sec
Nikon D750 NEF (RAW), Compressed, 12-bit, shots 33, CS: 5.1 sec
Nikon D750 JPEG Fine (Large), shots: 87, CS : 13.4 sec

If you are curious about image quality difference, it is there but its minor and if its the option of having compressed 12 bit raws or no raws, then I think its a no brainer.

https://www.slrlounge.com/nikon-raw-nef-file-quality-option-comparison-testing-14-bit-lossless-vs-12-bit-compressed/

Mega Comrade fucked around with this message at 17:09 on Dec 19, 2022

Kenshin
Jan 10, 2007

So, just curious, what % of the time do people shoot raw? It seems like the extra headache of having to convert to JPEG manually is worth the risk of capturing something really cool and not having a raw version of it.
100% of the time, because I import and have all my photos stored in RAW and only export them to JPG to share on the internet.

Slotducks
Oct 16, 2008

Hello have some winter birds
The area I moved to is in this wild dryspell right now - bah!

Cedar Waxwing

Black-capped Chickadee

White-breasted Nuthatch
I nearly broke my back shooting these ones - a D500 with the Tamron 150-600 shooting straight up is quite a taxing effort lmao

Dark-eyed Junco

Slotducks fucked around with this message at 21:38 on Dec 19, 2022

yippee cahier
Mar 28, 2005

Pileated woodpecker. I only carry a phone around so I have to lurk this thread instead of contributing but sometimes you get lucky walking through the park.

jarlywarly
Aug 31, 2018
That's pretty amazing to get that close you can use a phone!

Snow Bunting by Aves Lux, on Flickr

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

my cat is norris
Mar 11, 2010

#onecallcat

yippee cahier posted:

Pileated woodpecker. I only carry a phone around so I have to lurk this thread instead of contributing but sometimes you get lucky walking through the park.

please bring us your phone pics!

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3974602