Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

X JAKK
Sep 1, 2000

We eat the pig then together we BURN
Thanks-taking is not a time for celebration. I refuse to carve your turkey. It is basted in the blood of the innocents!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

namlosh
Feb 11, 2014

I name this haircut "The Sad Rhino".
We did… once

The only thing that kept me alive was the will to smoke again… that and an ashtray from an AirItalia flight

SilvergunSuperman
Aug 7, 2010

nono thats just regular, im talkin

The Saucer Hovers
May 16, 2005

ive got my thanksgiving shirt on

Traxis
Jul 2, 2006

Just give him his land back, Hank.

TheWorldsaStage
Sep 10, 2020

The Saucer Hovers posted:

I love it oh my god

Betazoid
Aug 3, 2010

Hallo. Ik ben een leeuw.

I need this loving shirt oh my god, link?

digitalist
Nov 17, 2000

journey into Kirk's unknown

Bobby's on a mission

digitalist fucked around with this message at 04:48 on Nov 25, 2022

The Saucer Hovers
May 16, 2005

Betazoid posted:

I need this loving shirt oh my god, link?

https://www.etsy.com/listing/911396694/bobby-hill-thanks-for-nothing-king-of?utm_source=OpenGraph&utm_medium=PageTools&utm_campaign=Share

lonelylikezoidberg
Dec 19, 2007
Which episodes of King of the Hill stand out most clearly in your mind as being reflective of American (or Texan) culture?

For me its the low-flow toilet episode. It's all about local government: 90s middle-class anxiety about a nebulous, vaguely corrupt, and disinterested political class and the myth of the ability of the private citizen to overcome this issue through the democratic political institutions and "common sense."

Lincoln
May 12, 2007

Ladies.
I can’t answer your question, but low-flow toilets are terrible.

The Moon Monster
Dec 30, 2005

lonelylikezoidberg posted:

Which episodes of King of the Hill stand out most clearly in your mind as being reflective of American (or Texan) culture?

For me its the low-flow toilet episode. It's all about local government: 90s middle-class anxiety about a nebulous, vaguely corrupt, and disinterested political class and the myth of the ability of the private citizen to overcome this issue through the democratic political institutions and "common sense."

The trans-fats episode was kind of similar and also very of its time. There was a real tempest in a teapot about "our freedoms" and such when the FDA started moving on trans fats, but now two decades later everyone seems to have agreed they're bad, forgotten about them, and moved on.

A lot of early episodes were more Texas culture focused than later ones, stuff like the panic over sex ed, or women's roles in Peggy's Turtle Song.

The mcmansion one is maybe the least accurate representation of Texas culture because Texans freakin' love mcmansions. Hanks line about "homes of modest size" or whatever makes him sound like he subscribes to youtube channels about urbanism.

Star Man
Jun 1, 2008

There's a star maaaaaan
Over the rainbow
Honestly, most people would have no idea what the hell you're talking about when you talk about McMansions or why they're hideous. It's just a bigger house to them, and therefore a sign of wealth and success.

The Saucer Hovers
May 16, 2005

nah the only thing old texans of middling wealth hate more than mcmansion developments is trailer parks

GolfHole
Feb 26, 2004

as a canadian who has been to texas multiple times i suggest the trans fat episode is the most realistic

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!

GolfHole posted:

as a canadian who has been to texas multiple times i suggest the trans fat episode is the most realistic

bill gorging himself because the government says it's safe on account of being trans fat-free is less indicative of texas and more a reflection of all americans

SilvergunSuperman
Aug 7, 2010

I like the one where Hank is celebrating that Bill wasn't secretly drugged because it wasn't actually government waste.

Mantis42
Jul 26, 2010

Probably one of the football focused episodes.

Kalli
Jun 2, 2001

Most reflective scene :

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jYFtskeZrNg

Mr. Lobe
Feb 23, 2007

... Dry bones...

Fur20 posted:

bill gorging himself because the government says it's safe on account of being trans fat-free is less indicative of texas and more a reflection of all americans

Texas is just America, but more

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

Don't you tell me my business again.

This is a pretty interesting question because my first answer was "all of them" but now you got me thinking. First ones that popped in my head were the George Bush, Deer Hunting and Father and Son shooting episodes though.

dolphinbomb
Apr 2, 2007

Grimey Drawer
I don't know about indicative of Texan culture, but in the episode when the tornado hits the trailer park, Hank loses his clothes and has to pick between a tiny cactus and the Texas state flag to cover himself, before eventually deciding on the cactus. My mom (a native Texan) thought that scene was loving hilarious.

The Moon Monster
Dec 30, 2005

A MIRACLE
Sep 17, 2007

All right. It's Saturday night; I have no date, a two-liter bottle of Shasta and my all-Rush mix-tape... Let's rock.

Sooners!

Kevin DuBrow
Apr 21, 2012

The uruk-hai defender has logged on.
I'm a little worried about being a slut.

E: Are there people in North Texas that hate Texas and love Oklahoma?

Another Bill
Sep 27, 2018

I stumbled ass-backwards into a comfortable, easy life for reasons beyond my comprehension and now I think I'm better than you for it.

Kevin DuBrow posted:

E: Are there people in North Texas that hate Texas and love Oklahoma?

I've had up to here with you south Texas pig jockeys showing up in the thread and asking, Are there people in North Texas that hate Texas and love Oklahoma?

shame on an IGA
Apr 8, 2005

every single frame of The Buck Stops Here happens a thousand times a day in this godless land

quote:

Hear that Peggy Hill? Next time, I'll be drinking orange juice from the blood drive coffee mug while you still drinking from eenie weenie little Peggy Hill paper cup!

quote:

-Also, sir your truck is parked more than one foot away from the curb, I'm giving you a warning.

-You're not a cop!

-That's why it's just a warning.

quote:

Mr. Strickland said he got up under more balls than a midget hooker!

shame on an IGA fucked around with this message at 02:14 on Nov 26, 2022

The Saucer Hovers
May 16, 2005

Another Bill posted:

I've had up to here with you south Texas pig jockeys showing up in the thread and asking, Are there people in North Texas that hate Texas and love Oklahoma?

The Saucer Hovers
May 16, 2005

however, the inarguably arkansasian Rooster & Co.

shame on an IGA
Apr 8, 2005

however, the inarguably arkansasian Rooster & Co.

X JAKK
Sep 1, 2000

We eat the pig then together we BURN
Most Texan thing:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mvf5Yux3vA8

seiferguy
Jun 9, 2005

FLAWED
INTUITION

Toilet Rascal

The Company Man is probably it. That's the one where Hank tries to seal a deal with Mr. Holloway, the Boston guy who thinks everyone in Texas still dresses like a Cowboy, also features Burt Reynolds as M.F. Thatherton. It shows how Texas has more or less become any other state despite what outsiders think.

Hank: The MF stands for...
Thatherton: My Friend!

The Saucer Hovers
May 16, 2005

nah its the killing yourself with red meat. vintage forums poster X JAKK nailed it

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?
JR, JR he's a real bad guuuuy

Hihohe
Oct 4, 2008

Fuck you and the sun you live under

Milo and POTUS posted:

JR, JR he's a real bad guuuuy

And he lives on a raanch with his MAWWM

Punkinhead
Apr 2, 2015

"You're having dirty dreams about my sweet Nan-nan!?"

Another Bill
Sep 27, 2018

I stumbled ass-backwards into a comfortable, easy life for reasons beyond my comprehension and now I think I'm better than you for it.

PinheadSlim posted:

"You're having dirty dreams about my sweet Nan-nan!?"

"Where the gently caress is your chin?"

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

🚣RowboatMan: ❄️Freezing time🕰️ is an old P.I. 🥧trick...

Another Bill posted:

"Where the gently caress is your chin?"

"Wh.... What?!"

Zero One
Dec 30, 2004

HAIL TO THE VICTORS!
Happy Birthday Chuck Mangione

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rugikiki
Jan 15, 2008

Illinois Nazis.
I hate Illinois Nazis!

150 dollars for a feline enema?!? I could do it for half that!