Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Jamesman
Nov 19, 2004

"First off, let me start by saying curly light blond hair does not suit Hyomin at all. Furthermore,"
Fun Shoe
Riverdale is an absolutely amazing show that you must never, ever, watch.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

I watched the first season as it aired and really liked it. I just lost track of it. That post really makes me want to go back and binge it though.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

My impression is that its mostly just a dumb trashy soap for the first 5 seasons and then it just jumps completely off the rails into horror, fantasy, and sci fi in Season 6.

Mulva
Sep 13, 2011
It's about time for my once per decade ban for being a consistently terrible poster.
Nope, it's crazy from the jump and keeps getting crazier as time goes on. To the point that season 6 is just "gently caress it, makes as much sense as anything", not something legitimately unexpected.

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Pandamn It Feels Good To Be A Gangsta
Grimey Drawer

Jamesman posted:

Riverdale is an absolutely amazing show that you must never, ever, watch.

There's a certain kind of show that I find infinitely more fun to have recapped to me than to watch, and Riverdale is definitely one of them.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Riverdale owns. It's a show where the writers room was never told "no" no matter how batshit their ideas were.

Madkal
Feb 11, 2008

Fallen Rib
Riverdale already started crazy from the beginning but that was just over the top teen noir stuff. The stuff with aliens and superpowers makes it sound like the writers were picking plots out of a hat and writing episodes around those plots which actually sounds stupidly amazing.

Jamesman
Nov 19, 2004

"First off, let me start by saying curly light blond hair does not suit Hyomin at all. Furthermore,"
Fun Shoe

TwoPair posted:

There's a certain kind of show that I find infinitely more fun to have recapped to me than to watch, and Riverdale is definitely one of them.

I don't hate Riverdale at all, but I'm positive that I will get more entertainment from other people discovering the show and watching it, rather than watching any more of it myself.

Endless Mike posted:

Riverdale owns. It's a show where the writers room was never told "no" no matter how batshit their ideas were.

This is also how Freddy Got Fingered was made.

Sadly nobody jacks off a horse in Riverdale (that I know of).

Sgt. Politeness
Sep 29, 2003

I've seen shit you people wouldn't believe. Cop cars on fire off the shoulder of I-94. I watched search lights glitter in the dark near the Ambassador Bridge. All those moments will be lost in time, like piss in the drain. Time to retch.
I literally bailed right before last season (super powers?! Now that's a bridge too far) but poo poo I might just skip ahead if they're doing 50s period stuff.

SnakesRevenge
Dec 29, 2008

Remember the basics of CQC, Snake!

site posted:

i binged Wednesday yesterday while flying home (i thought it was very good) and had the same thought but i never watched Sabrina past the first season and that feels like too much work

Sabrina almost never stopped getting better for me. It's straight up Dragon Ball with the insane power ramp up and it's so much fun just watching increasingly powered characters make the worst decisions imaginable.

theironjef
Aug 11, 2009

The archmage of unexpected stinks.

Jamesman posted:

I don't hate Riverdale at all, but I'm positive that I will get more entertainment from other people discovering the show and watching it, rather than watching any more of it myself.

This is also how Freddy Got Fingered was made.

Sadly nobody jacks off a horse in Riverdale (that I know of).

Yet. The 50s didn't have the internet so these kids might be more bored than usual.

Soonmot
Dec 19, 2002

Entrapta fucking loves robots

Grimey Drawer

TwoPair posted:

Yeah, I bounce hard off the teen drama skeleton all the craziness is draped around, so it's not the show for me. Same with the wednesday show, although to be fair I was going to give that the full season, but they had vampires chilling out in the sun which is an automatic NOPE from me.

Anyways, I've been rewatching Netflix Marvel and it's hilarious how they write around Rosario Dawson not being there anymore. I don't remember learning what happened to make her leave? She did Defenders and half of Cage season 2 and then was just gone. Also, Iron Fist season 2 is actually good, better than I remembered.

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Soonmot posted:

Anyways, I've been rewatching Netflix Marvel and it's hilarious how they write around Rosario Dawson not being there anymore. I don't remember learning what happened to make her leave?

iirc she was in a relationship with Cage and he turns into a toxic angry male and she leaves him

Soonmot
Dec 19, 2002

Grimey Drawer

TwoPair posted:

iirc she was in a relationship with Cage and he turns into a toxic angry male and she leaves him

No I remember the plot reason, I just rewatched it last week. I'm asking why she never came back. At the end of Cage 2, she's mentioned as coming back but never shown. In Fist 2, they introduce a whole new character with Ward's sponser/gf who's a nurse instead of using the established relationship between Claire and Colleen. It was super weird at the time that Rosario Dawson was just gone when she was the Phil Coulson of those shows, only even more prominent and important.

theironjef
Aug 11, 2009

The archmage of unexpected stinks.

Soonmot posted:

No I remember the plot reason, I just rewatched it last week. I'm asking why she never came back. At the end of Cage 2, she's mentioned as coming back but never shown. In Fist 2, they introduce a whole new character with Ward's sponser/gf who's a nurse instead of using the established relationship between Claire and Colleen. It was super weird at the time that Rosario Dawson was just gone when she was the Phil Coulson of those shows, only even more prominent and important.

The shows were filmed really far away from where she lived and she wanted to be at home when her kid started high school. She said as much at some panel in London a while back. Noted as well that she worked with Coker, the Luke Cage showrunner, to ensure that her final scene felt final, so it would make sense that she wasn't coming back.

Mover
Jun 30, 2008

Yeah, as tempting as it is to think Riverdale went off the rails with the overt supernatural stuff season 5 had already had an extended Mothman storyline where the “mundane” reveal was that the Mothman legends were actually inspired by a clan of serial killing hillbillies who lived in the junkyard out by the woods and in the final confrontation they roll out in bulletproof moth-themed power armor that they had built from the, um, scrap metal

Soonmot
Dec 19, 2002

Grimey Drawer

theironjef posted:

The shows were filmed really far away from where she lived and she wanted to be at home when her kid started high school. She said as much at some panel in London a while back. Noted as well that she worked with Coker, the Luke Cage showrunner, to ensure that her final scene felt final, so it would make sense that she wasn't coming back.

Thank you, I don't ever remember hearing about this when those shows were airing

Opopanax
Aug 8, 2007

I HEX YE!!!

Trailer for Gen V, the Boys spinoff. Looks good enough

Argue
Sep 29, 2005

I represent the Philippines
As an Archie aficionado I gave up on the show in s2 when they drifted too far from anything resembling Archie, but the events of the last season have definitely put it on my to-watch list. This is exactly the sort of ridiculous poo poo that I've been hoping would happen since s1.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

I don't know if anyone else is still watching Stargirl but last week's episode had a pretty brutal twist where they revealed that Sylvester never "came back to life" but the Ultra Humanite stole his dead body and did a brain swap with it.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

muscles like this! posted:

I don't know if anyone else is still watching Stargirl but last week's episode had a pretty brutal twist where they revealed that Sylvester never "came back to life" but the Ultra Humanite stole his dead body and did a brain swap with it.

that's awesome.

watching Titans and jesus gently caress this show is so bad. at this point the only good thing about it is when i see fat white men made out of potato salad loudly bitching about the inclusion of non white actors and they get ruthlessly roasted

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Grimey Drawer

muscles like this! posted:

Yeah that was actually a pretty good twist that I didn't see coming. I'd say Stargirl is too good to get lumped in with the rest of the Arrowverse dying and the extended Zaslav-pocalypse at WB, but the Arrowverse in general has taught me that it's better to die a good show than live long enough to see yourself become a Flash.

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch
I both did not see it coming and enjoyed it as well. Although I did like the "starman was actually a huge dick and Pat and Courtney are better than he ever was. Never meet your heroes" angle that the show sold pretty well

Oracle
Oct 9, 2004

Rhyno posted:

that's awesome.

watching Titans and jesus gently caress this show is so bad. at this point the only good thing about it is when i see fat white men made out of potato salad loudly bitching about the inclusion of non white actors and they get ruthlessly roasted

Thank you, every time I get mildly curious how much of a dumpster fire the show is now it’s posts like this that save me time confirming my suspicions.

Opopanax
Aug 8, 2007

I HEX YE!!!

This isn’t exactly the right thread but I’m not sure there is one and you people would know anyways. I’m catching up on all the live action Star Wars stuff and there’s a lot of references; I never watched any of animated stuff like Clone Wars or Rebels, is there anything worth watching in there for a grown man who likes but isn’t totally obsessed with Star Wars or should I not bother?

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch
clone wars and rebels are some of best star wars material out there. with the obligatory preface that both don't really get top tier until their second seasons.

i guess the question is, what are you looking for? like, andor style independent stories within the universe or do you want to get deeper into the lore or what

site fucked around with this message at 19:25 on Dec 5, 2022

Opopanax
Aug 8, 2007

I HEX YE!!!

site posted:

clone wars and rebels are some of best star wars material out there. with the obligatory preface that both don't really get top tier until their second seasons.

i guess the question is, what are you looking for? like, andor style independent stories within the universe or do you want to get deeper into the lore or what

Honestly, just cool stuff to put on while I’m bored at work. I just don’t want to try and watch something made for an 8 year old, as long as they’re legit good I’ll check them out.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Clone Wars is fun because it will be like four episodes in a row of some gritty battle where clones are being killed left in right followed by an episode where Jar Jar and C3PO have an adventure on the fuzzy bunny planet or whatever.

It's definitely good though.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009
Yeah, Clone Wars is almost like old school Doctor Who in that it becomes a bunch of 3-6 episode serials. Both shows start aiming at a younger audience. I'd almost argue Clone Wars didn't hit it's stride fully until season 3, but both have good stuff even early on. Just be aware you'll get some episodes with Jar Jar designed to make said 8 year olds laugh.

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch

Opopanax posted:

Honestly, just cool stuff to put on while I’m bored at work. I just don’t want to try and watch something made for an 8 year old, as long as they’re legit good I’ll check them out.

well the front half of the first season is definitely For The Kids but the series director loves continuity so you can't really skip it because people will return and events that occur will get referenced and expanded on later, with the expectation that you know what's going on. he's so deep into it stuff that happens there gets referenced in the mandalorian, and in fact a lot of the mandalorian is explicitly a continuation of clone wars and rebels. you just have to stick with it

there's a viewing order for clone wars that emphasizes the lore and skips some filler but i need to look it up

site fucked around with this message at 19:51 on Dec 5, 2022

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

site posted:

there's a viewing order for clone wars that emphasizes the lore and skips some filler but i need to look it up
Not sure if this is the one you're thinking, but this is one. (I cannot comment on how good it is) https://www.kotaku.com.au/2022/06/the-essential-clone-wars-episodes-every-star-wars-fan-should-watch/

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch
tbh i can't remember if it's that exact one but it does seem to have the good stuff on there

Assepoester
Jul 18, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Melman v2

Endless Mike posted:

Clone Wars is fun because it will be like four episodes in a row of some gritty battle where clones are being killed left in right followed by an episode where Jar Jar and C3PO have an adventure on the fuzzy bunny planet or whatever.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v6vrAEGXzkY

Klungar
Feb 12, 2008

Klungo make bessst ever video game, 'Hero Klungo Sssavesss Teh World.'

Endless Mike posted:

Not sure if this is the one you're thinking, but this is one. (I cannot comment on how good it is) https://www.kotaku.com.au/2022/06/the-essential-clone-wars-episodes-every-star-wars-fan-should-watch/

As someone who has watched Clone Wars and Rebels a couple times at this point, both as an adult for myself and to share with my kids, this list looks good to my eye. There is nothing like "Jar Jar episodes" or "Droids episodes" with Rebels, so I'd suggest just watching all of that. The first episodes may be a bit rough or have a different tone than the rest of the series as a whole, but it's all good/relevant character development.

Soonmot
Dec 19, 2002

Grimey Drawer
Just a heads up for clone wars, I bounced hard off the first episode but once I got over that and decided to skip every jar jar episode, I enjoyed the series as a whole. It's good background noise.

Opopanax
Aug 8, 2007

I HEX YE!!!

Ok cool, that list looks more like what I’m looking for and isn’t quite as daunting

OnimaruXLR
Sep 15, 2007
Lurklurklurklurklurk

Opopanax posted:

This isn’t exactly the right thread but I’m not sure there is one and you people would know anyways. I’m catching up on all the live action Star Wars stuff and there’s a lot of references; I never watched any of animated stuff like Clone Wars or Rebels, is there anything worth watching in there for a grown man who likes but isn’t totally obsessed with Star Wars or should I not bother?

I think the way I watched Clone Wars is kind of reflective of my tendencies as a comic book reader, i.e. I looked over a bunch of brief summaries and picked out which ones sounded interesting. I still haven't gone back and filled in stuff like episodes featuring Jar Jar or revolving around one-off little kid characters. But the episodes that focus on either Clone Troopers or Dark Siders tended to be real good poo poo.

I've only watched a handful of Rebels because I really, really don't like the way it looks. The original characters in it seem pretty dull and their adventures seem incredibly by the numbers. But they tie up some loose ends from Clone Wars, so that's good I guess

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch
rebels really opens up in the second season as it starts getting heavy into the beginnings of the rebellion, the reintroduction of ahsoka, vader and the inquisitors, thrawn, the mandalorians (this is where bo-katan comes from), and what is objectively the most batshit thing in the entirety of the star wars universe in the final season that i won't even put in spoilers

s2-4 of rebels is actually better than clone wars imo

site fucked around with this message at 00:47 on Dec 6, 2022

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Bo-Katan is introduced in Clone Wars and is there for awhile.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch
slightly embarrassed cuz i had to look that up because i somehow completely blanked on her being satine's sister lmao