Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

a cyborg mug
Mar 8, 2010

Inspired by my girlfriend’s favorite set of bed linen, the first two mechs in my third (already? Jeez) merc company

Hunchie is mine, Raven is her first time ever painting a miniature. Great job by her!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SkyeAuroline
Nov 12, 2020

Just three mechs left. Two to finish out this company, then a Charger for memes. Then I'm finally done for a while.

a cyborg mug
Mar 8, 2010

Love the look of those strong edge highlights, gives them an almost Tron-like look

SkyeAuroline posted:

Then I'm finally done for a while.

Lol sure, sure

SkyeAuroline
Nov 12, 2020

a cyborg mug posted:

Love the look of those strong edge highlights, gives them an almost Tron-like look

Lol sure, sure
Thanks.

I'll at least be done with everything I have + the one mech that I'm receiving as a test print from a friend who just got their 3D printer. No plans to buy anything else afterwards for a while, getting games at all has been difficult enough to manage as it is. 13 mechs in a variety of weight ranges gives me a good amount to work with, even before factoring in proxy rules for running other mechs.

Also my LGS only ever seems to stock clan stuff so no impulse buys for me.

SkyeAuroline fucked around with this message at 18:01 on Nov 28, 2022

GD_American
Jul 21, 2004

LISTEN TO WHAT I HAVE TO SAY AS IT'S INCREDIBLY IMPORTANT!
I’d love to see a 90s Solo cup livery

lilljonas
May 6, 2007

We got crabs? We got crabs!
Asked my FLGS weeks ago if they'd be able to get the GOAC box for me, it was listed as out of stock for a long time. Went back again yesterday, now it seems their stockist will only resupply the beginner box and the new Alpha Strike box sometimes next year? I might simply pick up the box at cheapest online stockist I can find at this point.

Comstar
Apr 20, 2007

Are you happy now?

Dr. Lunchables posted:

You just need the box. The rules will cover everything in the box. If you decide you wanna go farther, there’s the Alpha Strike Commanders Edition book. That’s it. One box, one book.

Is the box like getting aGoAC but the full rules are in the Battletech rulebook and advanced rule books? If that's the case, ok, that makes more sense.

What other books can you use with Alpha Strike beyond the commanders one?

bad_fmr
Nov 28, 2007

Just finished catching up the whole thread. Too many words about Stackpole. Absolutely amazing paintjobs on the cool new minis.

I've been playing Battletech on and off since the 90's. Fell of the new developement when FASA went down and the clix-mechs appeared. Since then we have been playing with the older stuff, basically everything until the FedCom civil war. My best Battletech campaigns was one of Clan invasion, where we got absolutely crushed as IS (surprise..) and one long Mercenary campaign. Things slowed down and finally covid and all basically ended our gaming so I haven't had a chance to really play in years.

So cool that the game is actually getting a renaissance of sorts. I bought the new book pdfs from the humble bundle. The new mech models look amazing. For the longest time we played with the 4th(?) edition cardboard cutouts, and only got into the metal miniatures much later. Not sure if I'll ever get to use all the new timeline stuff. Well at least in MegaMek I guess. Speaking of, is there any good places to find MegaMek games?

Dr. Lunchables
Dec 27, 2012

IRL DEBUFFED KOBOLD

Comstar posted:

Is the box like getting aGoAC but the full rules are in the Battletech rulebook and advanced rule books? If that's the case, ok, that makes more sense.

What other books can you use with Alpha Strike beyond the commanders one?

That’s the only book. They used to have the books Alpha Strike and Alpha Strike Companion (regular and advanced rules, respectively) but combined/refined them into the Commander’s Edition. You could seek these out, but I’d say about 85% of it is the same content just copy pasted.

As far as using other other books, any era reports or technical readouts still apply. Basically anything that’s worldbuilding or story building is as applicable as any other BT game. I’ve also used the Campaign Operations book for running a campaign and I’m assuming you could also use Tac Ops too.

e: regarding whether the rules in the box are stripped down like AGoAC, yeah, that’s basically true from what I’ve heard. The Commanders Edition has stuff for like Aerospace combat and other things you’d never run into with the box contents.

Dr. Lunchables fucked around with this message at 13:28 on Nov 29, 2022

PhotoKirk
Jul 2, 2007

insert witty text here

a cyborg mug posted:

Yeah, like I say in the video, the damage is definitely the most fun part of BT’s gameplay.

Damage = most fun
Movement & positioning = most interesting, the tactical meat of the game
Initiative/alternating activation = ties the simulation together

Damage makes it fun. There's nothing like having a single SRM get a though-armor crit and wreak havoc.

Renegade Legion had a great damage model with the templates for each type of weapon, I'd love to see something like that incorporated into Battletech.

Rorahusky
Nov 12, 2012

Transform and waaauuuugh out!

All done with my Constructicon-themed Battlemechs. Now I am thinking of a Cyclops painted up to be Shockwave.

PhotoKirk
Jul 2, 2007

insert witty text here

Rorahusky posted:

All done with my Constructicon-themed Battlemechs. Now I am thinking of a Cyclops painted up to be Shockwave.

Highlander has the right head for Shockwave.

Rorahusky
Nov 12, 2012

Transform and waaauuuugh out!

PhotoKirk posted:

Highlander has the right head for Shockwave.

Oh, good idea. The Highlander even has the gun arm too. I'll have to keep an eye out for one next time I am buying minis

Defiance Industries
Jul 22, 2010

A five-star manufacturer

lilljonas posted:

Asked my FLGS weeks ago if they'd be able to get the GOAC box for me, it was listed as out of stock for a long time. Went back again yesterday, now it seems their stockist will only resupply the beginner box and the new Alpha Strike box sometimes next year? I might simply pick up the box at cheapest online stockist I can find at this point.

It's on their store right now

lilljonas
May 6, 2007

We got crabs? We got crabs!

Thanks, but I’m in Europe so US shipping plus customs makes that not an option unfortunately :(

Der Waffle Mous
Nov 27, 2009

In the grim future, there is only commerce.

GD_American posted:

accidentally made an Arizona Green Tea paint scheme in mw5 and I'm seriously considering just doing a bunch of my new minis in that.

a cyborg mug
Mar 8, 2010

Do it and post pictures, imho

Should look pretty great!

a cyborg mug
Mar 8, 2010

Here’s my BattleTech Deutschland Secret Santa mech

Guy likes Highlanders so I got one on eBay. Painted it in my merc company colors. Looks like this is pretty much the limit of painting ability and patience at this point, but I did in fact put in some extra effort and time into this guy. Even tried re-posing for the first time ever, removed the legs and now whoever gets this will have a unique charging Highlander.

Looking forward to whatever mech I end up getting for Christmas!

Disproportionation
Feb 20, 2011

Oh god it's the Clone Saga all over again.

lilljonas posted:

Thanks, but I’m in Europe so US shipping plus customs makes that not an option unfortunately :(

That just seems to be a thing in Europe unfortunately; in the UK for example everywhere was out of stock of lance packs for about six months, only just recently managed to get one.

seaborgium
Aug 1, 2002

"Nothing a shitload of bleach won't fix"

GD_American posted:

Duct tape colors would be pretty cool too. I know they used to give out scholarships if you made a prom dress out of duct tape and they have some pretty wild colors/patterns to use.

Crazy Joe Wilson
Jul 4, 2007

Justifiably Mad!
Found a good tutorial for painting white, it recommends a Citadel paint that comes in one of those pop up bottles that I hear dry out quick. What replacement dropper bottles are recommended and how does one move the paint over to not waste it?

PoptartsNinja
May 9, 2008

He is still almost definitely not a spy

Soiled Meat
There will always be a little waste with moving paint, but I really can't recommend any of Citadel's white non-Contrast paints. They're absolute poo poo, some of the worst paints Citadel has. You'll be lucky if you don't have a big clump of dried pigment in the center.

If you can, get an appropriate Vallejo white. I find Reaper's Pure White is a good replacement for Citadel's brightest white too.

Floppychop
Mar 30, 2012

GW's Ulthuan Grey is my go-to for white. It's what I did these dudes with.

Crazy Joe Wilson
Jul 4, 2007

Justifiably Mad!

PoptartsNinja posted:

There will always be a little waste with moving paint, but I really can't recommend any of Citadel's white non-Contrast paints. They're absolute poo poo, some of the worst paints Citadel has. You'll be lucky if you don't have a big clump of dried pigment in the center.

If you can, get an appropriate Vallejo white. I find Reaper's Pure White is a good replacement for Citadel's brightest white too.

The Camospecs tutorial for painting white recommended 1-2 base coats of Vallejo Ivory, followed by a Citadel Contrast White type, followed by dry brushing plain white to finish, so it's a contrast.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OW1twroJV18

Crazy Joe Wilson fucked around with this message at 16:22 on Dec 2, 2022

PoptartsNinja
May 9, 2008

Soiled Meat
Oh yeah, the contrast white is fine. I transferred all my contrasts to droppers without issue.

For transferring contrasts to dropper bottles, I suggest getting 20ml dropper bottles (the contrasts come in ~18ml but the actual content varies a little so 20ml droppers are perfect) and a pack of tiny funnels. You can get both on amazon in large quantities for cheap. If you expect to pick up more than a handful of contrast paints I also highly recommend either stainless steel agitator beads or a vortex mixer as contrasts can settle pretty heavily (especially if they've got any amount of white pigment).

Before transferring I suggest mixing the paint as well as you can (seriously, especially for the white, shake the pot for 5 minutes or more if you don't have a vortex mixer) and slowly pour it into the funnel. Then once the pot is as empty as you can get it add 1-3 drops of distilled water to the pot, close it, shake it, and drip as much of that in as you can. There will still be a little waste but it will be far less than the amount of paint Citadel's pot will lose when it dries out.

hot cocoa on the couch
Dec 8, 2009

if you haven;'t already wasted money on contrast paints, you can also avoid this procedure by simply buying speed paints (already in dropper)

long-ass nips Diane
Dec 13, 2010

Breathe.

Speedpaints have their own issues so do your research and buy whichever one you think is better.

Muir
Sep 27, 2005

that's Doctor Brain to you
The Army Painter speed paints have their issues. It sounds like the new Vallejo Xpress Color paints are fine, though.

PoptartsNinja
May 9, 2008

Soiled Meat

hot cocoa on the couch posted:

if you haven;'t already wasted money on contrast paints, you can also avoid this procedure by simply buying speed paints (already in dropper)

They're going to be painting over the top of it and it doesn't sound like they have an airbrush for spraying varnish between coats so speed paints probably aren't ideal in this case.

I have and use both, they're both useful tools but based on the painting technique linked I'd say contrast is probably preferable until Vallejo's line launches.

hot cocoa on the couch
Dec 8, 2009

PoptartsNinja posted:

They're going to be painting over the top of it and it doesn't sound like they have an airbrush for spraying varnish between coats so speed paints probably aren't ideal in this case.

I have and use both, they're both useful tools but based on the painting technique linked I'd say contrast is probably preferable until Vallejo's line launches.

whoops, didn't watch the video, just rushed to make a snide comment to dunk on the citadel paint pots which i hate with a burning passion. apologies

PoptartsNinja
May 9, 2008

Soiled Meat
No worries, I also hate the Citadel pots. They're trash garbage designed to dry out paint to force people to buy more paint.

You could gently caress up and spill half a bottle of paint while trying to transfer into a dropper bottle and still probably come out ahead in terms of wasted paint.

GD_American
Jul 21, 2004

LISTEN TO WHAT I HAVE TO SAY AS IT'S INCREDIBLY IMPORTANT!
Gifting the basic box set to my brother in law. What’s a decent inexpensive set of starter paints to go with it?

Muir
Sep 27, 2005

that's Doctor Brain to you
Probably the Vallejo starter set: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B009162PWU/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o03_s01?tag=sdub-20&ie=UTF8&psc=1&geniuslink=true

PoptartsNinja
May 9, 2008

Soiled Meat
I'm not a fan of paint sets, they tend to be lacking certain colors (like purple) or will require the receiver to mix paints to get darker/lighter shades which a lot of new painters aren't comfortable with.

I'd say get a good brush-on primer (gray if you're using regular acrylics, white if you're using contrast or speed paint) a few core colors like black, white, and maybe a dark brown for the base, and then have a conversation with the individual. Find out their favorite unit (or favorite color) and get them what they'd need to paint that unit (or their favorite color with a nice complimentary accent).

If you're going with regular acrylics, get a good basetone (aka a dark version of the main base color), slightly lighter midtone, and bright highlight all of the same color. Then pick up a decent metallic for the weapons and a nice complimentary accent color.

So, for example, if their favorite unit is red you'd want to go with a dark red basetone, a nice red midtone, and a bright red or even red-orange highlight so they can paint that color without having to mix paints; and then pick up a nice accent color that looks good with red and is easy to paint like black (already covered), silver (oh hey, you're already getting them a metallic for their weapons, a brighter silver to highlight a dark gunmetal would be a nice addition), or metallic gold.

And then you'd want to get them a good quality brown or black, depending on what color the basecoat is (but still probably brown) wash. They call washes liquid talent for a reason.

Marx Headroom
May 10, 2007

AT LAST! A show with nonono commercials!
Fallen Rib
Definitely get a set of Vallejo Metal Color. The one with Magnesium ("Jet Exhaust" set?) is probably fine.

I've found that detailing the metal joints and gun barrels and whatnot really elevates these little guys. You can also brush very thin colors over a metal base to create a colored metal effect. You can even drybrush or sponge them to create scratches and wear and tear. It's an invaluable tool when you're painting war robots.

Marx Headroom fucked around with this message at 19:54 on Dec 2, 2022

Comstar
Apr 20, 2007

Are you happy now?
Has anyone ever played with ALL the optional rules including building their own mechs and playing with the campaign rules? Or played in a Tournament with all the "Tournament" rules?

Was it worth it, and did it get any faster or was it as slow as I suspect it will be?

Icon Of Sin
Dec 26, 2008

Comstar posted:

Has anyone ever played with ALL the optional rules including building their own mechs and playing with the campaign rules? Or played in a Tournament with all the "Tournament" rules?

Was it worth it, and did it get any faster or was it as slow as I suspect it will be?

I did a tournament at the beginning of last month, and there was a slight rules mod for the event (that I can’t recall right now). All games were set at 10 rounds/2hrs, but looking around it seemed fairly rare for anyone to make it past round 6 or play all the way to time.

Usually because everything was on fire, exploding, or had already done one of those things :v:

PeterWeller
Apr 21, 2003

I told you that story so I could tell you this one.

Comstar posted:

My buddies and I spent hours making custom mechs with the Rules Compendium back in the day.

Defiance Industries
Jul 22, 2010

A five-star manufacturer

Comstar posted:

Isn't playing with "tournament" rules just using Total Warfare as-written? They rebranded Level 2 as "tournament legal" ages ago.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BattleMaster
Aug 14, 2000

Defiance Industries posted:

Isn't playing with "tournament" rules just using Total Warfare as-written? They rebranded Level 2 as "tournament legal" ages ago.

That is correct.

Now playing a game that manages to incorporate all of the nutty poo poo buried in Tactical Operations would be the real feat. Did you know that TacOps has rules for underwater dome cities and rules for how they flood when damaged?