Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

Yes, the shovel is an awesome weapon. I hope we get more choices of awesome weapons.

The thunder hammer isn't as good in Darktide as it is in Vermintide because they are different games. And the 2h hammer was already overshadowed by the introduction of the cog hammer in Vermintide, at least for IB. The other classes that used 2h hammers already had better choices. And this is coming from someone who loved the 2h hammer in Vermintide.

I'm a little surprised I'm getting a talking to for saying that I'd like a 2h blunt weapon for Ogryn.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DeadFatDuckFat
Oct 29, 2012

This avatar brought to you by the 'save our dead gay forums' foundation.

Give the ogryn brass knuckles imo

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

Yes, I know I'm old, get off my fucking lawn so I can yell at these clouds.

Internet Explorer posted:

Yes, the shovel is an awesome weapon. I hope we get more choices of awesome weapons.

The thunder hammer isn't as good in Darktide as it is in Vermintide because they are different games. And the 2h hammer was already overshadowed by the introduction of the cog hammer in Vermintide, at least for IB. The other classes that used 2h hammers already had better choices. And this is coming from someone who loved the 2h hammer in Vermintide.

I'm a little surprised I'm getting a talking to for saying that I'd like a 2h blunt weapon for Ogryn.

Just let my ogryn pick up that gently caress off chunk of concrete sticking out of rebar that some of the corrupted ogryn use.

field balm
Feb 5, 2012

There's not a weapon with kruber's executioner sword's movement, is there?

Diephoon
Aug 24, 2003

LOL

Nap Ghost
let me use a bandolier of grenade boxes instead of a ranged weapon on ogryn

Perestroika
Apr 8, 2010

Cyrano4747 posted:

Just let my ogryn pick up that gently caress off chunk of concrete sticking out of rebar that some of the corrupted ogryn use.

Let the Ogryn pick up a dead enemy rager and swing him around, spiky armor and everything :colbert:

Legit Businessman
Sep 2, 2007

Mzbundifund posted:

Is there a reference anywhere for what all those icons on the weapon descriptions mean? There’s no tooltips and I’m already on the View Information screen.

It's really quite obtuse, here's a guide that explain it (borrowing heavily from Rattide knowledge, if I were to hazard a guess)
https://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=2890393386

big cummers ONLY
Jul 17, 2005

I made a series of bad investments. Tarantula farm. The bottom fell out of the market.

field balm posted:

I've only played much zealot and didn't try everything. The hammer is kind of similar if you reverse the light and heavy. Light gives a vertical single target bonk, heavies can chain for big horizontal cleaves with a ton of stagger but not as much damage. That was about as close as I could get. Executioner sword is my favorite krub weapon.

Eviscerator let's you do big horizontal cleaves but it's with a stamina cost, chaining heavies and push attacks back and forth.

big cummers ONLY fucked around with this message at 23:27 on Nov 29, 2022

CODChimera
Jan 29, 2009

Fishstick posted:

That trailer makes me wish the Lights out modifier was active for more than like what, 2 days? During the entire beta? Felt like every other map was endless horde.

the lights out was so fun, i hope future modifiers are like that, adding completely new elements, enemies etc

CODChimera
Jan 29, 2009

CuddleCryptid posted:

The first map I played with it was the smelter map and the glow of the burning slag against the darkness was incredible.

I only played one map twice but it was the one where you're fighting in this big room with a reactor and it would occasionally power up and light up the whole room. it was nuts

DeathSandwich
Apr 24, 2008

I fucking hate puzzles.

I'm not against ogryn 2h, I took offense comparing the bully club to the thunder hammer. :v:

The weekend beta Leaked a bunch of weapons and there's a few that have not been seen yet (melta, long las, ect), one of which showed up in the ogryn trailer but not the beta (shock /power maul).

Of the Leaked weapons, there's a big old 2h chain axe that could potentially be the ogryn's. Have the ogryn get orky with a big choppa. The orks has to loot theirs from somebody.

I'd be happy if they release stone fists down the line, just a pair of Ogryn sized concrete orbs they dual wield.

Mendrian
Jan 6, 2013

field balm posted:

The heavy sword does a straight overhead swing.

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

DeathSandwich posted:

I'm not against ogryn 2h, I took offense comparing the bully club to the thunder hammer. :v:

I was asking for a 2h blunt weapon and you brought up the bully club! I'm saying I want something more like the thunder hammer. Except maybe with more rebar. :v:

big cummers ONLY
Jul 17, 2005

I made a series of bad investments. Tarantula farm. The bottom fell out of the market.

Which voice calls the Ogryn "sweet brute"? That's what I'm taking to 30 next when the game is back up

S.J.
May 19, 2008

Just who the hell do you think we are?

DeathSandwich posted:

The weekend beta Leaked a bunch of weapons and there's a few that have not been seen yet (melta, long las, ect), one of which showed up in the ogryn trailer but not the beta (shock /power maul).

Of the Leaked weapons, there's a big old 2h chain axe that could potentially be the ogryn's. Have the ogryn get orky with a big choppa. The orks has to loot theirs from somebody.

I'd be happy if they release stone fists down the line, just a pair of Ogryn sized concrete orbs they dual wield.

Is there a leaked weapon list? I must've missed that somehow.

Evil Kit
May 29, 2013

I'm viable ladies.

big cummers ONLY posted:

Which voice calls the Ogryn "sweet brute"? That's what I'm taking to 30 next when the game is back up

female psyker, dreamer maybe? It's funny since all she's met is with extreme caution during the revive. The other two voices don't fit though I don't think I've gotten to hear all the female psyker variations yet.

khy
Aug 15, 2005

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xvo2OfgIJ1c

I said this in a discord but I think the Ogryn 2h weapon should literally be a fist pulled off of a Dreadnought and they just punch things with a giant mechanical arm. Not like, wearing it over their own arm but just swinging it around.

Fishstick
Jul 9, 2005

Does not require preheating
The ogryn shovel is a magnificent weapon for another reason

The THUNK sound you get whacking a scab in the head with a sidesweep and watching him cartwheel into space

Edit: For weapons, ogryn brass knuckles please. Wanna be playing Punch-Out in the middle of a lasgun fight

Acebuckeye13
Nov 2, 2010

Against All Tyrants

Ultra Carp

S.J. posted:

Same, I haven't seen anything that confirms the Long-Las or melta.

god I would kill for a meltagun though

DeathSandwich
Apr 24, 2008

I fucking hate puzzles.

I was asking for a 2h blunt weapon and you brought up the bully club! I'm saying I want something more like the thunder hammer. Except maybe with more rebar. :v:

I didn't bring up the bully club originally, that was CuddleCryptid. :v:

S.J. posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lCOuP1bld70

Flavahbeast
Jul 21, 2001

I haven't tested this myself, but apparently you can freely slide through Beast of Nurgle snail trails - you get a huge amount of corruption though

https://v.redd.it/a8o5jbxv5z2a1/DASH_720.mp4

Jerkface
May 21, 2001

HOW DOES IT FEEL TO BE DEAD, MOTHERFUCKER?

the forbidden slip n slide :stare:

Broken Cog
Dec 29, 2009

We're all friends here

Was this one really rare? Only saw it like twice during the entire pre order period.

tehinternet
Feb 14, 2005

Semantically, "you" is both singular and plural, though syntactically it is always plural. It always takes a verb form that originally marked the word as plural.

Also, there is no plural when the context is an argument with an individual rather than a group. Somfin shouldn't put words in my mouth.

The_White_Crane posted:

It's probably suboptimal, but I do really love how the revolver feels.
The sound effect is just so satisfying. And it's got very good knockdown on armoured enemies. Just a shame about the reload speed...

This is the true measure of a good gun in a coop PvE game.

Does gun make dope sounds or do otherwise dope poo poo? If Yes, Gun is Good. If No, Gun is Bad.

big cummers ONLY
Jul 17, 2005

Yeah for any readers who are worried when people talk about optimal weapons, you don't have to engage with that. You should really only engage with that if optimization is what you enjoy. Use the fun stuff, especially early when the playerbase is at its worst in terms of skill

S.J.
May 19, 2008

Just who the hell do you think we are?

Acebuckeye13 posted:

Same, I haven't seen anything that confirms the Long-Las or melta.

god I would kill for a meltagun though

A quick Google found it, sorry I don't have the link atm. There are rewards for two different chain axes, melta, what looks like a long Las, and a different maul for the Ogryn among a few other things.

toasterwarrior
Nov 11, 2011
I'd love to have a non-shovel/shield weapon for the Ogryn. I don't like the knives/cleavers, even the Butcher; it's very good but I just don't vibe with the aesthetic unless I'm actually playing an Ork. Hope the single power beatstick is an option Ogryns get.

Kokoro Wish
Jul 23, 2007

Post? What post? Oh wow.
I had nothing to do with THAT.
There's a lot of I'm-the-hero supermen around in the community (and not just this thread). The game before the servers shut down was an absolute admonishment of this to me, and only summed up how teamwork and coherency are important.

Team blundered into a gunline of chaos las guns and two Ogryn Gunners. The hero Zealots and Sharpshooter go down in a spectacular hail of gunfire, doing nothing. It was only through the Ogryn laying down a steady stream of suppressing fire from the heavy stubber, and the other Zealot picking the others up, then us taking cover and returning fire that allowed us to carry through from there. It was loving hairy, and exhilarating. We even managed to say up when two Snipers turned up to that fight.

That just cemented in my mind how the game is meant to feel, and it's sad that the earlier difficulties don't reinforce that.

deep dish peat moss
Jul 27, 2006

The most successful 4* public teams I played in where the ones where everyone split up while traversing the map and knew how to dodge dogs/trappers, and everyone constantly went fast, then grouped up for the holdout periods.

The teams that failed the most were the teams that would hang back trying to have gunfights with ranged enemies, or the teams that tried to slowly crawl through the level together. Both of those felt like a recipe for getting overwhelmed every time, as opposed to just speedrunning through looting everything and slamming objectives down before the game could spawn many threats.

If your team is spread out, sprinting in the same general direction then you pretty much flank everything at once and prevent ranged groups from having opportunities to shoot at you. If you're grouped up trying to keep 4 stacks of squad cohesion at all times you're denying yourself the ability to eliminate them before they become threats.

(Though obviously you need to know how to get and maintain cohesion stacks when you need the toughness regen, and how to stay in cohesion for the big all-directions fights)

e: I also found that just doing something like saying "I'll watch behind" during hold-out defense periods and then literally just doing that: facing behind us and standing idle waiting for things to spawn, was a huge, huge help in a lot of those fights. It gives everyone else the safety to just face one direction and you get to just chill and hang out and take out a few big threats.

The most groan-worthy thing I saw consistently in public matches was people who would run around the whole arena during defense phases trying to fight enemies spawning from everywhere, instead of picking a 'lane' and sticking to it. It doesn't matter if you spend time sitting around doing nothing as long as you're guarding an approach and waiting for things to spawn there. The second you turn around to fight in another 'lane' you're doing your team a big disservice and encouraging the game to spawn enemies in the 'lane' you abandoned :argh:

My philosophy is that the only dangerous enemy is one that no one is looking at. Everyone can hold their own against a horde and against specials and they don't need backup, they just need someone to watch their back so they can focus on what's in front of them.

deep dish peat moss fucked around with this message at 01:44 on Nov 30, 2022

Diephoon
Aug 24, 2003

LOL

Nap Ghost

big cummers ONLY posted:

Psyker "Seer" for both male and female. The same voice that talks about/to their "Beloved" all the time.

e: This blog post is great for knowing the design intent behind each character voice

https://www.playdarktide.com/news/dev-blog-voices-of-the-41st-millennium

Diephoon fucked around with this message at 01:37 on Nov 30, 2022

Broken Cog
Dec 29, 2009

We're all friends here
Think we'll get something like the Chaos wastes in VT2 for this game down the line? I imagine that could be a ton of fun if they can pull it off properly

Jimbot
Jul 22, 2008

I like the Cadia survivor lady for the veteran. She's grizzled as heck. Her delivery of "For Cadia!" is fantastic. Peak :black101:

Mendrian
Jan 6, 2013

Insert meme pic of, "me trying not to mention Cadia for 30 seconds."

Estel
May 4, 2010

Kokoro Wish posted:

There's a lot of I'm-the-hero supermen around in the community (and not just this thread). The game before the servers shut down was an absolute admonishment of this to me, and only summed up how teamwork and coherency are important.

Team blundered into a gunline of chaos las guns and two Ogryn Gunners. The hero Zealots and Sharpshooter go down in a spectacular hail of gunfire, doing nothing. It was only through the Ogryn laying down a steady stream of suppressing fire from the heavy stubber, and the other Zealot picking the others up, then us taking cover and returning fire that allowed us to carry through from there. It was loving hairy, and exhilarating. We even managed to say up when two Snipers turned up to that fight.

That just cemented in my mind how the game is meant to feel, and it's sad that the earlier difficulties don't reinforce that.

Same thing happens in Vermintide, the first 3 difficulties are not that difficult (in fact 3* in Darktide is harder than 3* in Vermintide) so lots of people running around trying to carry the team.

Most of those will get stuck in there because they never learn how to improve and play in higher difficulties, they will try, die saying that of course it's fault of their teammates that left him alone or didn't follow him or whatever excuse they find and return to the lower difficulties.

deep dish peat moss posted:

The most successful 4* public teams I played in where the ones where everyone split up while traversing the map and knew how to dodge dogs/trappers, and everyone constantly went fast, then grouped up for the holdout periods.

The teams that failed the most were the teams that would hang back trying to have gunfights with ranged enemies, or the teams that tried to slowly crawl through the level together. Both of those felt like a recipe for getting overwhelmed every time, as opposed to just speedrunning through looting everything and slamming objectives down before the game could spawn many threats.

If your team is spread out, sprinting in the same general direction then you pretty much flank everything at once and prevent ranged groups from having opportunities to shoot at you. If you're grouped up trying to keep 4 stacks of squad cohesion at all times you're denying yourself the ability to eliminate them before they become threats.

(Though obviously you need to know how to get and maintain cohesion stacks when you need the toughness regen, and how to stay in cohesion for the big all-directions fights)

e: I also found that just doing something like saying "I'll watch behind" during hold-out defense periods and then literally just doing that: facing behind us and standing idle waiting for things to spawn, was a huge, huge help in a lot of those fights. It gives everyone else the safety to just face one direction and you get to just chill and hang out and take out a few big threats.

The most groan-worthy thing I saw consistently in public matches was people who would run around the whole arena during defense phases trying to fight enemies spawning from everywhere, instead of picking a 'lane' and sticking to it. It doesn't matter if you spend time sitting around doing nothing as long as you're guarding an approach and waiting for things to spawn there. The second you turn around to fight in another 'lane' you're doing your team a big disservice and encouraging the game to spawn enemies in the 'lane' you abandoned :argh:

My philosophy is that the only dangerous enemy is one that no one is looking at. Everyone can hold their own against a horde and against specials and they don't need backup, they just need someone to watch their back so they can focus on what's in front of them.

All of this is correct, getting into gunfights with ranged enemies is fighting a losing battle, the enemies have infinite ammo and infinite health because the game will spawn more enemies while you are stuck firing so it's just a matter of time that something happens and what seemed fine turns into a wipe.

tehinternet
Feb 14, 2005

Semantically, "you" is both singular and plural, though syntactically it is always plural. It always takes a verb form that originally marked the word as plural.

Also, there is no plural when the context is an argument with an individual rather than a group. Somfin shouldn't put words in my mouth.
Yeah, you only need to min-max if you’re running pub lobbies at 4+ or running level 5. Otherwise gently caress optimal gameplay, have fun and do dope poo poo.

Nehru the Damaja
May 20, 2005

I have previously said that the Zealot Judge is the worst voice in Darktide. This remains true. However I should specify that the female Judge voice is hilarious.

tehinternet
Feb 14, 2005

Diephoon posted:

Psyker "Seer" for both male and female. The same voice that talks about/to their "Beloved" all the time.

e: This blog post is great for knowing the design intent behind each character voice

https://www.playdarktide.com/news/dev-blog-voices-of-the-41st-millennium

Toby Longworth does the voiceovers for most of the Horus Heresy and Gaunts Ghosts books and a lot of other 40k stuff. He’s a loving gem.

I’d kill for a Gaunts Ghosts Darktide game with premade characters.

Cease to Hope
Dec 12, 2011

Diephoon posted:

Has anyone tried the Brunt in diff 4/5 after it got adjusted? I'm wondering if it'll be nice for heavy bleed cleaving.

Yes. It works with a heavy-light combo for hordeclear in heavy-attack-based builds, and struck me as comparable to the Mk VI cleaver (the dinged up one), which uses pure heavies. I didn't test it extensively, since I'm not fond of heavies for hordeclear.

I don't recall what combo the club uses for single hard targets, but it does use pure heavies for crushers and bulwarks, like most ogryn melee. I had more specifics in a previous post in this thread, which I can't easily link atm.

Elephant Ambush
Nov 13, 2012

...We sholde spenden more time together. What sayest thou?
Nap Ghost
I already miss my Boltgun :(

Tomorrow can't get here fast enough

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jimbot
Jul 22, 2008

Nehru the Damaja posted:

I have previously said that the Zealot Judge is the worst voice in Darktide. This remains true. However I should specify that the female Judge voice is hilarious.

One of the voices has to be the boring straight-man/lady of the group of misfits.