Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Kibner
Oct 21, 2008

Acguy Supremacy

MuffinsAndPie posted:

Wouldn't the lag be really bad?

I'm in Dallas and the actual ping (which is double the displayed in-game ping) is between 80-100. It's noticeable, but very playable. You will get killed around corners more often. I have still been able to get into diamond ranks.

Kibner fucked around with this message at 19:34 on Nov 13, 2022

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

Yeah, I think a lot of people leave before OT because it can take almost as long as the match itself, even when it's pretty loving clear that one team has won.

apostateCourier
Oct 9, 2012

Waffleman_ posted:

Yeah, I think a lot of people leave before OT because it can take almost as long as the match itself, even when it's pretty loving clear that one team has won.

I've seen some wild comebacks from seemingly hopeless gamestates.

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

apostateCourier posted:

I've seen some wild comebacks from seemingly hopeless gamestates.

My favorite game was a draw we had where the enemy team had like 7 minutes to cap the final point in OT since they rolled us first time around.

Nuebot
Feb 18, 2013

The developer of Brigador is a secret chud, don't give him money
have they announced season 2 yet? I saw they announced a tournament to celebrate season 2.

AnonymouseNo5
Nov 11, 2021

Kanos posted:

It's a pretty clear example of why any competitive game needs pretty harshly scaling leaver penalties to even function.

Eh, I blame the matchmaker more than the leavers. I finally tapped out and uninstalled after getting tired of the numerous lopsided matches. Either I get blown the eff out or the enemy gets blown the eff out. There really was no in-between in the matches to rank 50 I played.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

Season 2 is coming next month I believe.

ninjewtsu
Oct 9, 2012

fired this game up again last night and did some casual matches. god drat this game is fun, the base mechanics are just really well thought out.

unfortunately, of the 4 matches i played 3 of them were a stomp in one direction or another. i'm not sure how they can address this as it seems to be an issue with every matchmaking based online team game i've played, but hopefully they have something lined up for season 2.

Kibner
Oct 21, 2008

Acguy Supremacy

ninjewtsu posted:

fired this game up again last night and did some casual matches. god drat this game is fun, the base mechanics are just really well thought out.

unfortunately, of the 4 matches i played 3 of them were a stomp in one direction or another. i'm not sure how they can address this as it seems to be an issue with every matchmaking based online team game i've played, but hopefully they have something lined up for season 2.

playing ranked usually has more competitive teams than casual

haypliss
Oct 2, 2022
Skill diff in Casual bugged me for the first week or two, but my experience lately has been much better and it's just DC's and leavers that ruin the experience. After how miserable queue times and server stability were in my games last night, I'll just say it's good they're previewing the new season this week to take the edge off.

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

The bad part about the stomping is because the playerbase is so low and you're stacking at all you keep coming up against the same enemy stack if you don't wait a bit before queueing again. Even when the playerbase was several times higher we once came against the same (neither full) stack three or four times in a row.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0rVox2X908M

Nu Gundam and a space colony map

Looks like they might just be doing one suit a season, which...is honestly fine for me? I always knew it wasn't gonna be four per season like Sortie, and if they don't want to change how the monetization is done too drastically, making sure that at least free players have a chance to get every new unit is an alright compromise.

Waffleman_ fucked around with this message at 15:49 on Nov 17, 2022

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Lol at making GBS threads out a bazooka shot to dodge

Glad I saved my blue bucks, I'd rather have Nu than anything in this season but Unicorn

Nehru the Damaja
May 20, 2005

Honestly the map and new suit look cool, and I'm glad they're having a big demo at Anime NYC which will hopefully drive new players to the game.

I just hope they do something about the stability issues. The technical improvements were just a real quick aside in the announcement video. Not clear what's going to improve.

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you
I do hope they reveal Aerial before the season 2 launch.

Good soup!
Nov 2, 2010

Waffleman_ posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0rVox2X908M

Nu Gundam and a space colony map

Looks like they might just be doing one suit a season, which...is honestly fine for me? I always knew it wasn't gonna be four per season like Sortie, and if they don't want to change how the monetization is done too drastically, making sure that at least free players have a chance to get every new unit is an alright compromise.

Looking good! Echoing what others have said with hoping they improve the technical issues and add stuff like backfill

Revitalized
Sep 13, 2007

A free custom title is a free custom title

Lipstick Apathy
Hell yeah Nu Gundam! I thought they'd go for some other pick but I love me some Nu

Chillgamesh
Jul 29, 2014

Very excited that they’re finally going to add a Nu Gundam :dadjoke:

chumbler
Mar 28, 2010

Nu seems like it could be very annoying, but also it looks like a slow tank? Maybe that's only with the shield up. Glad to see a colony map, though.

Where's Tallgeese, Bamco.

Astroniomix
Apr 24, 2015

I feel like a lot of nu-gundam's power is going to come down to how sticky those funnel marks from the primary weapon are and the range on the funnel ability.

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

Firstly, hell yeah Nu Gundam

Secondly, give us Aerial and a better portrait variety. Also give another way to get blue currency besides the season pass, Bamco you clowns

Kevsop
Jul 20, 2011

Pork Pro
If you have to hit a zaku four times to make the funnels kill it, it seems like a very similar amount of shots for like GM to kill, interest on where the balance is going to come in on it.

At least the cone of shame G-maneuver might help unaware pubbies not die to GM sniper.

Astroniomix
Apr 24, 2015

The big threat for stuff like zaku is depending on how long the markers stay on you, just falling back to a health pack around the corner isn't enough. You need to gently caress off untill their timer runs out or you are drat sure NU's fired at someone else otherwise you're going to eat 576 damage as soon as you round the corner.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

This doesn't actually matter at all but I want to complain and the other thread is dead.

I barely play Gundam Battle Operation because matchmaking barely works and doesn't at all with a team. I have friends over and we screw around with it trading the controller off, rank up, then immediately rank down. This happens because it reads the +10 win with the +/-0 loss (we did well) with a regular -7 loss as -14 in total from the starting score. It then spends an hour having matchmaking randomly fail culminating in the game crashing in one last aborted match

This is to say that this incredibly frustrating and bad experience where the Gundam game failed to use a computer to correctly add numbers together or work at all is a more stable experience than Gundam Evolution. At least we didn't get hour bans for the game making GBS threads out after failing first grade math

Also if you think your team is dogshit at Evo you haven't seen anything yet

RBA Starblade fucked around with this message at 06:17 on Nov 21, 2022

Kevsop
Jul 20, 2011

Pork Pro
I've seen enough videos of GBO that I entirely believe it.

Iserlohn
Nov 3, 2011

Watch out!

Here comes the third tactic.
Lipstick Apathy
This was a point in the Season 2 trailer, but I appreciate the devs being open about these problems. More just hinting at stability fixes, but between that, better matchmaking and better rewards I'm hopeful Season 2 will be better.

https://twitter.com/gundamevolution/status/1595104477517737985?t=RB9cIlZ_IS3GPBe3JbNP-Q&s=19

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

New patch notes are up: https://gundamevolution.com/en/news/106

The age of Barbatos is over. The time of the Guntank has come!

Stairmaster
Jun 8, 2012

its morbin beyond the time

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

Revitalized
Sep 13, 2007

A free custom title is a free custom title

Lipstick Apathy
https://twitter.com/gundamevolution/status/1597295692137238528
https://twitter.com/gundamevolution/status/1597310083070730240

Dark chrome is a good look

ninjewtsu
Oct 9, 2012

i've booted the game up a couple times in the last few days and it didn't seem to be able to find a match for me. anyone have any idea how long you usually wait for a match? idk if i'm just giving up prematurely having not played in a little while, but it's kind of frustrating

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

was there a time when speedwagon didn't get trolled

ninjewtsu posted:

i've booted the game up a couple times in the last few days and it didn't seem to be able to find a match for me. anyone have any idea how long you usually wait for a match? idk if i'm just giving up prematurely having not played in a little while, but it's kind of frustrating

Depends on time. When I was clearing out my last few season pass rewards in the last week, midday EST meant 10-15 minute queues. Primetime was generally anywhere between 3-10 minutes. Couple that with something like a quarter of the games you get into being busts because of somebody DCing or leaving and it's pretty rough.

If you're trying to play in the morning or midday for the American time zones you're probably better off queueing on Asia and dealing with the lag.

Kwolok
Jan 4, 2022
The game is under 1k players per 24h peak. You should still be able to find matches, sometimes, but it's looking grim

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

Yeah it's rough. If they don't pull their heads out of their asses for Season 2 it's done

Iserlohn
Nov 3, 2011

Watch out!

Here comes the third tactic.
Lipstick Apathy
I'm NA, but I don't have an issue finding casual matches ever. It's usually like a minute to find a game weekday evenings.

Ranked on the other hand is impossible.

I hope we're getting at least 1 more suit. Having it be a reward for an event would be nice since we're stuck with this monetization model.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I'm pretty sure it's just Nu.

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012

Runa posted:

Yeah it's rough. If they don't pull their heads out of their asses for Season 2 it's done

I mean what the hell can they do at this point?

Gundam's not a well known franchise and it's taken a lot of convincing to get the few friends I've had playing it to give it a go.

I don't even think it has anything to do with the rewards as much as the game just doesn't stand out next to poo poo like Overwatch

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

was there a time when speedwagon didn't get trolled

TheKingofSprings posted:

I mean what the hell can they do at this point?

Gundam's not a well known franchise and it's taken a lot of convincing to get the few friends I've had playing it to give it a go.

I don't even think it has anything to do with the rewards as much as the game just doesn't stand out next to poo poo like Overwatch

I don't really think it's at all down to "Gundam is too niche for people to play it!". It got a lot of hype early on, but a combination of their terrible monetization scheme and the game's super low TTK on a lot of suits leading newbies to get easily stomped/farmed hurt it a lot when placed directly next to OW2's release. I also feel like their complete failure to really address the problem of people leaving or DCing from matches also hurt them a lot.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

grieving for Gandalf
Apr 22, 2008

the absolute drip of currency for getting cosmetics and suits absolutely destroyed this game