Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Lyon
Apr 17, 2003
One of the sales reps managed to spend $120k on T&E, they don’t travel that much and nothing international. I’m honestly just impressed. I want to see the itemized list because my T&E for the year is like $25k and I’ve been to almost every trade show and customer visit since I started here in February.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Runner-up, TRP Sack Race 2021/22
The thing that really racks up T&E money is paying for other people's meals.

sellouts
Apr 23, 2003

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

the bottles of wine my god

TeMpLaR
Jan 13, 2001

"Not A Crook"

Omne posted:

I am going to end up this year one segment short of United Silver. Is it even worth a cheap (sub-$200) run?

Yes

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

Enjoy your spontaneous weekend in [checks notes] Utica!

movax
Aug 30, 2008

sellouts posted:

the bottles of wine my god

I have not been wrong yet in my judgments of people who intentionally splurge when they know someone else is paying for it and how that correlates to general dickishness.

TehRedWheelbarrow
Mar 16, 2011

Fan of Britches

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

this.

or having a catered thing with a minimal spend.

TehRedWheelbarrow
Mar 16, 2011

Fan of Britches

movax posted:

I have not been wrong yet in my judgments of people who intentionally splurge when they know someone else is paying for it and how that correlates to general dickishness.

UGH. this.

its like dude, just because Ive got the check doesnt mean you need the 400 dollar cognac. if your office were paying for it would you be putting that on YOUR card?

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

I mean yeah I would be but I’m a lot more conscious about putting big money stuff on other peoples tabs

TehRedWheelbarrow
Mar 16, 2011

Fan of Britches
yeah same. I mean if its like the president of a division or something I dont care that much, but if its just oh random finance guy from a small branch its like really?

and its always the finance or sales guys

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

I follow the other person's lead if they're paying. But if I'm doing the expense report, we're BOTH getting the $400 cognac.

Ask me about the time I got an email from finance that was literally just my expense report with "what the hell, killhour?" above it.

sellouts
Apr 23, 2003

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

I mean yeah I would be but I’m a lot more conscious about putting big money stuff on other peoples tabs

yeah, exactly.

if it’s someone who has to actually justify it I’m much more conscious. If it’s a client worth 8+ figures and they’re setting the tone I care a lot less and will get stuff I want to try (which isn’t usually the most expensive thing)

TehRedWheelbarrow
Mar 16, 2011

Fan of Britches

KillHour posted:

Ask me about the time I got an email from finance that was literally just my expense report with "what the hell, killhour?" above it.

i think I'm going to get one of those here pretty drat quick, 11 people and myself for a weeklong conference with a lot of lunches dinners and a few bar crawls. fortunately the corporate controller is cool and I had at least 5-7ish vips with me doing the dumb expensive orders.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

sellouts posted:

yeah, exactly.

if it’s someone who has to actually justify it I’m much more conscious. If it’s a client worth 8+ figures and they’re setting the tone I care a lot less and will get stuff I want to try (which isn’t usually the most expensive thing)

If someone orders the most expensive thing for the sake of ordering the most expensive thing that's obviously a little obnoxious, but yeah, you gotta use the OPM opportunity to try some stuff.

TehRedWheelbarrow
Mar 16, 2011

Fan of Britches
question: any decent skyclub affliate or amex platinum available lounges available in amsterdam?

Arzakon
Nov 24, 2002

"I hereby retire from Mafia"
Please turbo me if you catch me in a game.

TehRedWheelbarrow posted:

question: any decent skyclub affliate or amex platinum available lounges available in amsterdam?

Assuming you are transiting from the US to an EU flight you'll have a KLM lounge available after EU passport control.

TehRedWheelbarrow
Mar 16, 2011

Fan of Britches

Arzakon posted:

Assuming you are transiting from the US to an EU flight you'll have a KLM lounge available after EU passport control.

was thinking more the way back. my dude is picking me up straightaway the way there

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

on the way back, lounge 52 (the KLM crown lounge) is past EU passport control and is certainly the nicest in the airport.

keevo
Jun 16, 2011

:burger:WAKE UP:burger:
Can you not get miles on MileagePlus from Air Canada Rogue?? Took a flight operating as Air Canada on Air Canada Rogue and a United rep I can't get the miles from that because they're just a partner, not actually apart of Star Alliance.

i fly airplanes
Sep 6, 2010

I STOLE A PIE FROM ESTELLE GETTY

keevo posted:

Can you not get miles on MileagePlus from Air Canada Rogue?? Took a flight operating as Air Canada on Air Canada Rogue and a United rep I can't get the miles from that because they're just a partner, not actually apart of Star Alliance.

United rep is wrong (no shocker there). Rouge is the same as AC the same way United Express is.

There are some Star Alliance carriers that play games with these affilliate airlines: notably Lufthansa Group, Aegean, Thai which deny benefits if flying on their regional carriers.

i fly airplanes
Sep 6, 2010

TehRedWheelbarrow posted:

The previous posters mentioned the KLM lounge but I'm unsure if you can get in—you need elite status to enter. If you're entering the Sky Club through your AMEX Platinum the AMS lounge you'll have access to is the Aspire one using Priority Pass.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

I assumed with sky club affiliated that op has a individual / exec sky club membership but that was an assumption

TehRedWheelbarrow
Mar 16, 2011

Fan of Britches

i fly airplanes posted:

The previous posters mentioned the KLM lounge but I'm unsure if you can get in—you need elite status to enter. If you're entering the Sky Club through your AMEX Platinum the AMS lounge you'll have access to is the Aspire one using Priority Pass.

I have status with delta but was unsure if it passed along for that lounge, but thanks for the backup plan :tipshat:

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

It does for now, gold or higher. If you’re in main cabin or comfort+, after Feb 2 you won’t get complimentary lounge access. You will still get comp lounge access if you are in PS or D1.

An email just went out on new sky club policies. DL people should read it.

movax
Aug 30, 2008

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

It does for now, gold or higher. If you’re in main cabin or comfort+, after Feb 2 you won’t get complimentary lounge access. You will still get comp lounge access if you are in PS or D1.

An email just went out on new sky club policies. DL people should read it.

I gave it a quick read today… seems like a massive culling. Don’t think I’ll spend three choice benefits on maintaining that membership… will just go back to showing up to the airport closer to flight time.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

movax posted:

I gave it a quick read today… seems like a massive culling. Don’t think I’ll spend three choice benefits on maintaining that membership… will just go back to showing up to the airport closer to flight time.

I haven’t really decided. On the one hand if they purge a bunch of people it’s higher value. On the other hand three choice benefits is steep.

i fly airplanes
Sep 6, 2010

movax posted:

It's hard to tell whether it's AMEX running the airline at this point. Just such a reduction in benefits for their core frequent fliers in favor of credit card users. Is the expectation that all their fliers should be AMEX premium cardholders as well? What incremental benefit does loyalty even have if they can't even clear upgrades these days? /rant

Cacafuego
Jul 22, 2007

i fly airplanes posted:

Just such a reduction in benefits for their core frequent fliers in favor of credit card users.

You could say the same about AA with their loyalty points BS.

sellouts
Apr 23, 2003

Core FF see benefits on AA imo.

You need 20 or 30 segments to get SWUs.

The LP earn rate is 5-10x over credit cards. The avg person / ex mileage runner isn’t putting 200k on cards to get exp.

SlapActionJackson
Jul 27, 2006

Omne posted:

I am going to end up this year one segment short of United Silver. Is it even worth a cheap (sub-$200) run?

IMO, the only real benefit to being silver over a schlub with an Explorer card is the free upgrade for 2 to E+ at check-in. If you can use that in '23 it's worth it, but not otherwise.

SlapActionJackson fucked around with this message at 19:26 on Dec 1, 2022

movax
Aug 30, 2008

i fly airplanes posted:

It's hard to tell whether it's AMEX running the airline at this point. Just such a reduction in benefits for their core frequent fliers in favor of credit card users. Is the expectation that all their fliers should be AMEX premium cardholders as well? What incremental benefit does loyalty even have if they can't even clear upgrades these days? /rant

I tried using a GUC for my SYD-LAX leg tomorrow (filed the request months ago) and it went from 6 D1 seats to 0 almost overnight. Were there really that many people buying last minute tickets, or what?!

Not really sure what Diamond is getting me at this point that I wouldn’t get w/ Platinum and I don’t really want the $600 Amex Platinum or the Reserve Delta card.

sellouts
Apr 23, 2003

I don’t fly DL but I always figure when a big decrease of open seats happens within 48hrs of departure it’s them blocking seats in anticipation of or reacting to a disruptive event ie: something going mechanical or weather causing misconnects.

This summer I had 6F booked on a flight that went mx, would have accepted a downgrade to J, and had to get everyone to another airport to find that amount of space available within 3 days of the original departure date. And that was just my travel party.

And that’s with CK and a serious travel agent trying to move things at a very high level. So I think they get very proactive blocking seats once there’s a hint of a disruption.

i fly airplanes
Sep 6, 2010

movax posted:

I tried using a GUC for my SYD-LAX leg tomorrow (filed the request months ago) and it went from 6 D1 seats to 0 almost overnight. Were there really that many people buying last minute tickets, or what?!

Not really sure what Diamond is getting me at this point that I wouldn’t get w/ Platinum and I don’t really want the $600 Amex Platinum or the Reserve Delta card.

They are monetizing the cabins hard, and it's not last minute tickets, but last minute upgrades. On the long routes where no one likes to fly coach, people are splurging for upgrades.

I managed to use GUCs on KLM today and happy I was able to confirm them in advance, but the base economy prices are relatively high. $1000 for low season tickets in economy to Europe. pre covid these would be half of the price

Beef Of Ages
Jan 11, 2003

Your dumb is leaking.

i fly airplanes posted:

You've hit upon the point. The credit card relationships make them so much goddamn money, and that's all they care about. Whatever Ed says in those intro videos is horseshit. They (and every other airline) don't give two fucks about the passenger experience past what it takes to secure revenue and yield.

movax
Aug 30, 2008

i fly airplanes posted:

They are monetizing the cabins hard, and it's not last minute tickets, but last minute upgrades. On the long routes where no one likes to fly coach, people are splurging for upgrades.

I would have considered it tbh, but the app didn’t give me the option… not sure if it was because I had already waitlisted myself for a GUC, but logging in every now and then on the app, never got the “upgrade now!” section on “My Trips”.

Oh well; just landed in SYD and man I’m not flying Virgin Australia again if I can help it. What kind of red eye doesn’t turn off the goddamned main cabin lighting!?!

sellouts
Apr 23, 2003

how much are people seeing load factor based upgrades priced at close to departure for tatl and tpac routes?

smackfu
Jun 7, 2004

movax posted:

I would have considered it tbh, but the app didn’t give me the option… not sure if it was because I had already waitlisted myself for a GUC, but logging in every now and then on the app, never got the “upgrade now!” section on “My Trips”.

Oh well; just landed in SYD and man I’m not flying Virgin Australia again if I can help it. What kind of red eye doesn’t turn off the goddamned main cabin lighting!?!

I thought they had that funky purple mood lighting?

movax
Aug 30, 2008

smackfu posted:

I thought they had that funky purple mood lighting?

Entirely possible but in my semi-buzzed (leaving holiday party) / exhausted state, any light was too much for me. Seat sucked too -- lesson learned, Qantas next time.

On the bright side, checking in... got my GUC cleared! Saw 1 blocked out D1 seat in 4D, and there was a delay in printing my boarding pass and behold, it was mine. Looking forward to real sleep now!

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Congrats!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

eddiewalker
Apr 28, 2004

Arrrr ye landlubber
I thought I was a frequent flier, but what is this language you speak here?