Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Should I step down as head of twitter
This poll is closed.
Yes 420 4.43%
No 69 0.73%
Goku 9001 94.85%
Total: 9490 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

Stoatbringer
Sep 15, 2004

naw, you love it you little ho-bot :roboluv:

Nobody knows what VHS stands for anyway.

And I've still got some of the damned things.

Video 2000 was a better format anyway.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Brazilianpeanutwar
Aug 27, 2015

Spent my walletfull, on a jpeg, desolate, will croberts make a whale of me yet?
Very heavy sanctions

Vacuous holder of shares

Vapid hairless south african

Very hampered social media

Hardcastlemccormik
Jul 19, 2022
What if twitter polls were on the blockchain? As we all know, code is law in the block chain so Apple would have do whatever the poll says

Sanctum
Feb 14, 2005

Property was their religion
A church for one

Stoatbringer posted:

From now on, anyone at Twitter HQ who doesn't have binary projected on their face at all times will be fired immediately.

https://hackertyper.net/

Pontificating Ass
Aug 2, 2002

What Doth Life?
fart

butt

lovely poo poo man

Private Cumshoe
Feb 15, 2019

AAAAAAAGAGHAAHGGAH

Pontificating rear end posted:

fart

butt

lovely poo poo man

post/username combo

Serious_Cyclone
Oct 25, 2017

I appreciate your patience, this is a tricky maneuver

kazil posted:

Twitter polls are legally binding.

Checkmate.

Not if they are made under duress

Convex
Aug 19, 2010

Barry Foster posted:

apply for the premium plan at Ambulances4U, etc...

*Captain Price walking through advert set and looking directly into camera*

"They're real Ambulances!"

ref: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YmXxAKJtBhw

Pontificating Ass
Aug 2, 2002

What Doth Life?

Private Cumshoe posted:

post/username combo

well that's rich coming from a guy with cummy shoes

Fucking Moron
Jan 9, 2009

Stoatbringer posted:

Vore Humiliation Sex?

Elon is to running Twitter what Trump was to running the US. I am kinda shocked both Twitter and the US haven't collapsed by now.

Cabbages and VHS
Aug 25, 2004

Listen, I've been around a bit, you know, and I thought I'd seen some creepy things go on in the movie business, but I really have to say this is the most disgusting thing that's ever happened to me.

Stoatbringer posted:

wow yeah I am going in mental circles. VCR is video cassette recorder, I am going with a guess of Video Home System. Let's google that.

fake ninja: god drat that's correct, that means this was actually deep in my dumb 40-something brain somewhere, I am not smort enough to spontaneously recreate the best imaginings of pre-levimisole era coked out advertising parties.

Cabbages and VHS
Aug 25, 2004

Listen, I've been around a bit, you know, and I thought I'd seen some creepy things go on in the movie business, but I really have to say this is the most disgusting thing that's ever happened to me.

loving Moron posted:

I am kinda shocked both Twitter and the US haven't collapsed by now.

"you are here"

Amphigory
Feb 6, 2005

Data Graham posted:

There have been tons of answers to the "why is MORE CODE stupid" question but I'll toss mine in.

This is one of my favorite responses. Mine though would be:

Code is something you write when you are BUILDING an application. And Twitter, the application, is BUILT. It's done. There is no need to :airquote: write more code :airquote:

Now, I'm being glib. Nothing is ever "done". Twitter no doubt has a dozen massive new skunkworks projects being built by crack research teams in preparation for rollout next year (or at least it did). But Twitter, the main application, is mature, it's stable, and it has not had any major changes that any user would notice in years.

There are little tweaks going on all the time. There are infrastructural improvements. They're always tackling scaling issues and availability. They're always adding more backend tools to help with content moderation and Covid misinformation flagging and all that kind of stuff. But the vast majority of Twitter developers, I would wager, spend (/spent) the vast majority of their time fixing bugs. Not writing new features, not building vast new edifices of the application. All those developers' time is spent researching, testing, reproducing issues, reducing tech debt, consolidating, automating. There is no need to write code.

The phrase "WHAT IS CODE" has been the subject of a lot of articles and books and thinkpieces over the past ten years, but my answer to that question is: Code is automation.

Anything Twitter does, a human could do, given enough time. If you wrote a search query or a user's @name or "Please like this post" on a note card and mailed it to Twitter HQ, some nerd could physically look up the data in a database, type out the answer, manually code up an HTML page, scrawl updated data into the database with a pencil and send the result to you on a floppy disk, and you could load it up on your computer and it would look exactly like Twitter. It would just take weeks to do. The purpose of code is to make a computer do all that stuff for us instead of having humans do it, physically, painfully, tediously, slowly, and error-pronely. Code is just the way in which we instruct computers to do prescribed tasks for us, in milliseconds.

And there is only so much automation that needs to be done when you are building an app like Twitter.

All the major features are built already. They're there. The primary functionality of Twitter, as an app, as a service, are all as automated as they can get. Writing more code does not automate anything that is not already automated. You can improve existing features or performance, sure. You can pay down tech debt, cleaning up sloppy code, fixing bugs. You can write unit tests, which DOES involve writing code, whose purpose is to automate the process of finding bugs in other code, i.e. automation of automation. But whatever Elon Musk thinks his engineers need to be writing in order to "ship code" is absolutely, completely irrelevant to Twitter's current needs as a company and as a platform and as an application.

Twitter's product is uptime. It's functionality. It is not CODE. Code is a means to an end. And they already HAVE the end.

I always read your posts like this and think, "I hope I hire them some day..."

Kale
May 14, 2010

Jesus Christ if the GOP starts trying to write legislation to retaliate against Apple for not doing what Elon wants with a single digit majority, no senate and no obliging president to sign their poo poo if by some miracle it ever made it to his desk. Guaranteed to win over independents in swing states for 2024 if they somehow managed it clearly. Where was "PROTECC ELON!" ranked on that list of issues potential midterm voters were polled about again?

No seriously if Scalise wants to whip votes on that particular legislation I hope its as on the record and televised as it can possibly be.

Kale fucked around with this message at 00:07 on Nov 30, 2022

Serious_Cyclone
Oct 25, 2017

I appreciate your patience, this is a tricky maneuver

Kale posted:

Jesus Christ if the GOP starts trying to write legislation to retaliate against Apple for not doing what Elon wants with a single digit majority, no senate and no obliging president to sign their poo poo if by some miracle it ever made it to his desk. Guaranteed to win over independents in swing states for 2024 if they somehow managed it clearly. Where was "PROTECC ELON!" ranked on that list of issues potential midterm voters were polled about again?

No seriously if Scalise wants to whip votes on that particular legislation I hope its as on the record and televised as it can possibly be.

It seems like it's in the same vein as Florida going after Disney's special status over whatever it was that got DeSantis so piss mad (black mermaids or Buzz Lightyear having two mommies or some other national crisis, I don't remember). When they were sure they were going to red wave in the midterms they also started throwing around the idea of investigating any corporation that has pulled back on donations to GOP, which is a very not-Mafia thing to suggest.

It looks like the GOP is still looking for the cheap, easy, immediate gratification of some outrage thing to rally around instead of doing the hard work of looking inward and figuring out why nobody wants them in charge. Surely they can rekindle the fire that got Sesame Street characters disinvited to CPAC and put the hate on somebody, somewhere. Right?

Frank Frank
Jun 13, 2001

Mirrored
This whole thing is so goddamned stupid lmao

learnincurve
May 15, 2014

Smoosh

Kale posted:

The even funnier thing will be if Elon does not sort out his moderation and pretty much every European country with online safety bills, plus the EU itself, make apple and google remove it from stores anyway. The new UK bill for example means that every single tweet and image with adult content must be behind a 18+ wall or have a I am over 18 splash page.

Automatic Slim
Jul 1, 2007

Frank Frank posted:

This whole thing is so goddamned stupid lmao

New thread title.

OneEightHundred
Feb 28, 2008

Soon, we will be unstoppable!

Data Graham posted:

because holy poo poo that gormless Terminator voice.
He does sound like that though.

Scipiotik
Mar 2, 2004

"I would have won the race but for that."
How do you deal with someone who unironically said musk singlehandedly created the market for space travel and electric cars?

Robo Reagan
Feb 12, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
quickly and painlessly

TehRedWheelbarrow
Mar 16, 2011

Fan of Britches
laugh at them

My Spirit Otter
Jun 15, 2006

CANADA DOESN'T GET PENS LIKE THIS

SKILCRAFT KREW Reppin' Quality Blind Made American Products. Bitch.

Robo Reagan posted:

quickly and painlessly

They deserve neither

whydirt
Apr 18, 2001

Gaz Posting Brigade :c00lbert:
Crop dust them and walk away

PhazonLink
Jul 17, 2010

Serious_Cyclone posted:

.... Sesame Street characters disinvited to CPAC ....

okay now this has to be fake.

kazil
Jul 24, 2005

Derpmph trial star reporter!

Scipiotik posted:

How do you deal with someone who unironically said musk singlehandedly created the market for space travel and electric cars?

:sever:

Funky See Funky Do
Aug 20, 2013
STILL TRYING HARD

Scipiotik posted:

You don't. You walk away and never speak to them again.

Dr. Fraiser Chain
May 18, 2004

Redlining my shit posting machine

Scipiotik posted:

The guy sucking Joe "Coal Baron" Manchin's dick?

ullerrm
Dec 31, 2012

Oh, the network slogan is true -- "watch FOX and be damned for all eternity!"

PhazonLink posted:

okay now this has to be fake.

poe's law strikes again

https://twitter.com/CPAC/status/1461154311006834690

(They got butthurt because the Big Bird account tweeted about getting a COVID shot)

kilus aof
Mar 24, 2001

Dynastocles posted:

I know this thread agrees the push to "write more CODEEE" is dumb, but can someone explain to me why it's dumb? I get the impression that writing code isn't like mining coal where more doing = more profit which is what Elon seems to think.

Code is can be seen as applied problem solving.

The first problem with MORE CODE is code is one part of the end stage of problem solving. You have to first identify the problem then analysis the problem then propose solutions then you start coding as part of your implementation step. Then after that you have testing(although you can also write the tests before writing code), committing and maintenance. So it encourages skipping problem solving steps to focus on the one metric being measured. Measure zero, cut once and hope for the best.

The second problem is that a big problem doesn't necessarily need more code than a smaller problem.

The third problem is what problems you should prioritise doesn't have a complete relation to code length.

The fourth problem is lines of code is a metric that can be gamed. People can just use more lines of code to look better.

The fifth problem is now people have an incentive to try to work on projects with lots of lines of code. You have now added 6 tons of team swapping and infighting and key projects having a hard time getting team members if people think that project won't have tons of lines of code.

The sixth problem is you want your code to have certain qualities. Things like readability and being maintainable. Writing lines of code just to have lines of code so you don't get fired affects that.

Kingo Ligma
Aug 24, 2019

Ask me about calling people racist because I failed geography.

Scipiotik posted:

Put them in the backseat of a Tesla and let nature take it's course

Tiberius Christ
Mar 4, 2009

So if I write code I should use twice as many lines and never include documentation to keep it as obtuse as possible? Sounds like job security to me!

Kale
May 14, 2010

Serious_Cyclone posted:

It seems like it's in the same vein as Florida going after Disney's special status over whatever it was that got DeSantis so piss mad (black mermaids or Buzz Lightyear having two mommies or some other national crisis, I don't remember). When they were sure they were going to red wave in the midterms they also started throwing around the idea of investigating any corporation that has pulled back on donations to GOP, which is a very not-Mafia thing to suggest.

It looks like the GOP is still looking for the cheap, easy, immediate gratification of some outrage thing to rally around instead of doing the hard work of looking inward and figuring out why nobody wants them in charge. Surely they can rekindle the fire that got Sesame Street characters disinvited to CPAC and put the hate on somebody, somewhere. Right?

Disney's CEO publicly criticized some anti-LGBT culture war law he passed which prompted a retaliation against a private corporation for taking a critical position of a government policy that was championed by vindictive MAGA chuds that see antagonizing anyone not straight white male as their raison d'etre. If I recall he turned it into classic MAGA victimhood narrative of "standing up to corporate overreach that's long overdue".

Scipiotik
Mar 2, 2004

"I would have won the race but for that."

Kingo Ligma posted:

Put them in the backseat of a Tesla and let nature take it's course

Believe it or not they have a Tesla.

TehRedWheelbarrow
Mar 16, 2011

Fan of Britches
seems like this will sort itself out then

Virgil Thatcher
Mar 3, 2008
https://twitter.com/thecolacorp/status/1597600761307090947?s=20&t=GLjPayzQgZe1AiouO5FiXg

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

kilus aof posted:

The fourth problem is lines of code is a metric that can be gamed. People can just use more lines of code to look better.

This is what kills me. IBM had discovered the idiocy of paying developers by the kloc (thousand lines of code) in like the 60s. The Mythical Man-Month is from 1975. All the principles of "how to not be stupid when running a software project" have been known for over half a century.

Even Scott Adams knew all this poo poo so well he put jokes like this in ma and pa kettle's newspapers

Fuckin Elon Musk "the world came into being five minutes before I set foot in it"

Mindless
Dec 7, 2001

WANTED: INFO on Mindless. Anything! Everything! Send to
Pillbug
I am still not over Dense and Intense. I work my best when packed in with a ton of other people. gently caress the cube walls, just gimme bare floor, rave lighting, and pass the extension cord.

Lol you think they're all working on one problem together like that Monty Python skit where they all try to read a book?

Ups_rail
Dec 8, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

Serious_Cyclone posted:

It seems like it's in the same vein as Florida going after Disney's special status over whatever it was that got DeSantis so piss mad (black mermaids or Buzz Lightyear having two mommies or some other national crisis, I don't remember).

Florida had that dont say gay bill disney does campaign donation (aka bribes) to florida politicians.

If I have it right, California disney employees complained for the company to not do those donations and to denounce the bill and its supporters. Then boom desantis got his bill revoking the improvement district.

Of course if the district is dissolved the billions in bonds it has out will have to be taken over by someone. So I suspect disney and florida will work something out while idots do victory laps.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

Rigel posted:

Elon Musk founded the company (X.com in 1999) that would eventually become paypal. This is one of the very few decent accomplishments he made where he deserves some credit, as opposed to just being the bag of money who provided financing. He had at least one legit good idea in his life, a lot of people didn't think it would work but it did. It very quickly became successful within months, so good job, Elon. However, before even one year passed after founding the company, the board didn't like some of Musk's decisions, thought he was not cut out to be a CEO, and replaced him.

X merged with another competitor to become even bigger and more successful, and the new company brought Musk back in as CEO in 2000 so he actually got a 2nd chance to run the company he founded. He then reportedly made technological decisions over the fierce objections of many engineers who thought his choices were stupid, and his decisions did in fact turn out to be very bad. Once again Elon did not even last a full year before the board removed him for someone who was not a moron. The new CEO listened to the advice of his engineers, it was renamed to Paypal, and the rest is history.

This is giving Elon Musk a lot more credit than he deserves, which seems to be the one constant in his entire life.

PayPal, including its innovative-for-the-time digital payments system, was released by Confinity the year prior to their merger with X.com. X.com was just a run of the mill internet bank with a stupid moniker. When Confinity and X.com merged, Musk insisted that they keep the X.com name. Then it's like you say: they went back to calling it PayPal after ousting Musk from the CEO position because X.com sounds more like an adult website than an internet payments system. His biggest accomplishment here was managing to take credit for a system that he had nothing to do with.