Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

EoinCannon
Aug 29, 2008

Grimey Drawer

freeedr posted:

I saw a Brit saying that they are better at using loan words and words with recent foreign origins than Americans are and they said “tacos” like “tækɒs” and when that was pointed out they said that that pronunciation was more correct than the way any American English speaker says it. They also presented this viewpoint as though they were speaking for everyone on Great Britain.

That’s what the British guacamole chat reminded me of.

British TV chef Rick Stein won't stop saying "tack-os" and "pass-ta" with a hard a sound.
He's been to the countries where these foods come from and is a professional chef so I assume he does it because he's old or he's taking the piss

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Robobot
Aug 21, 2018

OwlFancier posted:

I have never in my life heard someone pronounce it tay-kos

My friend's girlfriend from somewhere in England pronounces it like that! She also ate them like a 4 year old, spilling basically everything out of them. Once we told her keeping them level is more important than a comfortable head angle, she got it. Does kind of make me curious what a family taco night looks like in England. I'm just imagining an entire family, gaunt and starving, having little silent weeps each time they bring this confusing food to their mouths just to have it all fall apart. Like an extremely specific circle of hell.

Scratch Monkey
Oct 25, 2010

👰Proč bychom se netěšili🥰když nám Pán Bůh🙌🏻zdraví dá💪?
I decided to hate the British when I heard them talk about eating “spag bol”

Cartoon Man
Jan 31, 2004

https://youtu.be/T-A0eZDJsKU

This but replace Mondays with someone who says Taycos.

hooah
Feb 6, 2006
WTF?

Robobot posted:

My friend's girlfriend from somewhere in England pronounces it like that! She also ate them like a 4 year old, spilling basically everything out of them. Once we told her keeping them level is more important than a comfortable head angle, she got it. Does kind of make me curious what a family taco night looks like in England. I'm just imagining an entire family, gaunt and starving, having little silent weeps each time they bring this confusing food to their mouths just to have it all fall apart. Like an extremely specific circle of hell.

To be fair, hard-shell tacos are one of the dumbest foods. Soft tortillas for life.

My Spirit Otter
Jun 15, 2006

CANADA DOESN'T GET PENS LIKE THIS

SKILCRAFT KREW Reppin' Quality Blind Made American Products. Bitch.

hooah posted:

To be fair, hard-shell tacos are one of the dumbest foods. Soft tortillas for life.

the wrongest post on the internet, congrats

Kheldarn
Feb 17, 2011

Robobot
Aug 21, 2018

hooah posted:

Oh we didn't try and show her hardshell tacos first! That would be some weird Squid Game levels of food antagonization.

Hard shell tacos exist simply to ruin dinners. To turn delicious spicy meats and fresh crisp veggies into small piles of disappointment and stains. It's the Superman 64 of taco wrappings. Sure, with enough practice and patience you can learn to eat a hard shell taco. Hell, you may even convince yourself you enjoy them to some extent, but at the end of the day you'd be better off just mixing all the toppings into the meat and eating it with a serving spoon.

My Spirit Otter posted:

We are at odds, sir or ma'am.

SyNack Sassimov
May 4, 2006

Let the robot win.
            --Captain James T. Vader

My Spirit Otter posted:

<foghorn> Son, I say son, are you a moron?

Sure yeah lemme just put my food in a shell that by its very nature cracks apart letting the tasty innards spill out as soon as I take a bite! And also doesn't taste nearly as good as a primo tortilla and is basically a larger version of a nacho chip.

I mean yeah if we're talking Taco Bell Doritos taco shell level of food then sure you go ahead, but if I'm gonna have some quality Mexican food it would be absurd to put it in a hard shell.

(all that said, this is all moot because burritos are the superior food - they have no chance of spillage, unless you try I guess)

freeedr
Feb 21, 2005

hooah posted:

Hell yeah for proper tacos, though I don’t hate hard shell tacos. I don’t know where the idea came from to make them a big tortilla chip, but hey, they are delicious too.

My Spirit Otter
Jun 15, 2006

i can eat hardshell tacos without losing much. But the stuff you lose is lost over a plate or wrapper if you arent a savage, and then you have a bonus taco salad

projecthalaxy
Dec 27, 2008

Yes hello it is I Kurt's Secret Son

I tell you what you're losing when you serve hard shell tacos: a friend

My Spirit Otter
Jun 15, 2006

projecthalaxy posted:

I tell you what you're losing when you serve hard shell tacos: a friend

so... nothing of value

freeedr
Feb 21, 2005

Also by “tækɒs” I meant the IPA pronunciation of those symbols. To me, an American, the first syllable is the word “tack” and the second syllable rhymes with “toss”. Tack-oss. He seemed dead serious and talked about everything American with contempt while also voluntarily being here (???)

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

I've enjoyed many delicious tortillas but when it comes to hard taco shells I don't think I've ever had anything other than Old El Paso.

cult_hero
Jul 10, 2001
Mexican food never really took off in the U.K. because Brits can't enjoy something if they didn't steal it first.

Organic Lube User
Apr 15, 2005

Just slap some loving melty cheese or beans on a soft tortilla and wrap it around the hardshell. Done and dusted.

Soul Dentist
Mar 17, 2009
Lol just imagine thinking hard shell is like, an innovation or somehow an improvement on the actual thing that a taco (ˈta.ko) is with a soft tortilla like it's been for a million years

syntaxfunction
Oct 27, 2010
Tacos are sideways spicy burgers.

PainterofCrap
Oct 17, 2002

hey bebe

I pronounce Au Gratin as "OH GRATTIN" just to annoy my wife.

Content: 2015 GOP primary

FreudianSlippers
Apr 12, 2010

Shooting and Fucking
are the same thing!

The correct pronunciation is "Tay-Cuss"

Xlorp
Jan 23, 2008

Just having a nice dinner here with my hardshell burrito. That's good dipping.

Inceltown
Aug 6, 2019

A true burrito is a hard shell dipped into ranch dressing. Nothing else.

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

Xlorp posted:

Just having a nice dinner here with my hardshell burrito. That's good dipping.

Not the wildest idea. There are cannolis, spring rolls, egg rolls.

Soul Dentist
Mar 17, 2009
loving chimichangas duhdoy

HenryJLittlefinger
Jan 31, 2010

stomp clap

It's "tuh-COSE"

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

EoinCannon posted:

"pass-ta" with a hard a sound.

I think that's just a northern/southern thing. They say stuff like "barth" "parse" and "glarse" whereas we say bath, pass, glass.

Organic Lube User
Apr 15, 2005

Soul Dentist posted:

This is the ultimate evolution of the cuisine.

TK-42-1
Oct 30, 2013

looks like we have a bad transmitter

i know pyf is the nexus of atrocious food takes but jesus loving christ what is wrong with you people

Knormal
Nov 11, 2001

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

Soul Dentist posted:

Knew I was forgetting something. Also we get some delicious fried tacos from a lady in an apartment building near us.

Tree Bucket
Apr 1, 2016

R.I.P.idura leucophrys

Listen buddy, get this funny picture out of the Let's Write About Food Thread

ccubed
Jul 14, 2016

How's it hanging, brah?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AxybSL5UiWs&t=9s

EoinCannon
Aug 29, 2008

Grimey Drawer

OwlFancier posted:

I think that's just a northern/southern thing. They say stuff like "barth" "parse" and "glarse" whereas we say bath, pass, glass.

I thought it might be something like that.
I don't think Rick Stein is a northerner though, he lives in Cornwall and I think he's originally from the middle somewhere

Zereth
Jul 9, 2003

Robobot posted:

Oh we didn't try and show her hardshell tacos first! That would be some weird Squid Game levels of food antagonization.

Hard shell tacos exist simply to ruin dinners. To turn delicious spicy meats and fresh crisp veggies into small piles of disappointment and stains. It's the Superman 64 of taco wrappings. Sure, with enough practice and patience you can learn to eat a hard shell taco. Hell, you may even convince yourself you enjoy them to some extent, but at the end of the day you'd be better off just mixing all the toppings into the meat and eating it with a serving spoon.

We are at odds, sir or ma'am.
:hmmyes: This is what good tacos look like.

Zil
Jun 4, 2011

Satanically Summoned Citrus

Hell yeah, street tacos are the best.

Son of Rodney
Feb 22, 2006

ohmygodohmygodohmygod

US Americans making fun of British pronunciation of spanish words is pretty adorable, with your jallapeenjos and torteellas and peeco de gayo.

Son of Rodney has a new favorite as of 06:25 on Nov 30, 2022

Android Apocalypse
Apr 28, 2009

The future is
AUTOMATED
and you are
OBSOLETE

Illegal Hen
There was a Mexican Restaurant that opened in Presque Isle, Maine back in the early 90's (probably the 1st one in the entire Aroostook County) and when I went there with my friends one had the joy of ordering a "kess-a-dill-ee-ah".

:chloe:

Caufman
May 7, 2007
Fajita has a hard 'j', but the stress can be on any syllable.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Groda
Mar 17, 2005

Hair Elf
Swedes say "rations" like "radio," and it drives me up the loving wall.