Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Robots confuse squirrels.

turkeys are horrible when they're alive and even worse when they're dead

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Elysiume
Aug 13, 2009

Alone, she fights.
I forgot a container of leftover turkey on the counter overnight by mistake and in the morning when I found it, I was ever so briefly sad before I dumped it into the trash and immediately stopped caring. it came out super juicy and was good overall but I was just going to make turkey enchiladas or turkey tetrazini or something and I can just get a roast chicken for like $5; I largely just regret the food waste in general

raminasi
Jan 25, 2005

a last drink with no ice
correctly cooked turkey is real good y'all. when it's bad it's bad but when it's good it's good

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant
It's a fine line and people are terrified of "OH GOD I only cooked it to 159° WE'RE GOING TO poo poo OURSELVES TO DEATH" that they leave it in too long and everything gets dry and gross.

I used to cook a Turkey dinner when I worked at a job with a smallish staff that was open on Thanksgiving, and my big regret was knowing they would be microwaving the slices and drying out the bird. One year, it was cooked so well that I just barely lifted the leg and it slid out of the socket :yosnice:

FilthyImp fucked around with this message at 07:29 on Nov 30, 2022

theflyingexecutive
Apr 22, 2007

turkey is a big loser when it comes to surface area:volume ratio but there's just too much indoctrination about cooking the whole bird right out of the bag for more people to take it apart first or at least spatchcock it so it cooks evenly

Celexi
Nov 25, 2006

Slava Ukraini!
Americans do have a thing about cooking temperature which I assume is due to horrible cattle conditions

Celexi
Nov 25, 2006

Slava Ukraini!
Also I've interacted with live pet turkeys they were amusing

Ultraklystron
May 19, 2010

Unsafe At Every Speed
Aside, while Musk was busy chugging decaf diet cokes, buying Etsy replicas and burning Twitter to the ground, even Foxconn/Lordstown has beaten Tesla to shipping electric trucks in the US: https://techcrunch.com/2022/11/29/lordstown-motors-begins-shipping-its-foxconn-made-ev-pickup-trucks/

Eeyo
Aug 29, 2004

Celexi posted:

Americans do have a thing about cooking temperature which I assume is due to horrible cattle conditions

i never bothered to check that kind of stuff until my wife got pregnant. now i’m poking everything i cook and make sure it’s at least 165.

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

FAT32 SHAMER posted:

lamb is the only family gathering meat I recognise

good poo poo you young bastard

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp

Celexi posted:

i mean for beef, it's a good indicator of the end texture

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Robots confuse squirrels.

if you're going to go to the effort to make turkey taste of something you can get a better meat

FAT32 SHAMER posted:

lamb is the only family gathering meat I recognise

this guy gets it

Roosevelt
Jul 18, 2009

Tony Pizzuto Says Hello
cooking steak is one thing i don't care about temp. throw it on the fire until it stops mooing.

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

Celexi posted:

beef is the only thing we regularly undercook on purpose so that's probably not it

now on the other hand it's common knowledge that chicken will poison you immediately if you get it a half a degree below the correct temperature

Roosevelt
Jul 18, 2009

Tony Pizzuto Says Hello
also, the US has a LOT of grazing land and cattle ranching. if you go into a supermarket chances are you're not going to get taco bell grade sewer beef unless you get the generic brand tube meat

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp
never buy the tube beef.

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

Jonny 290 posted:

never buy the tube beef.

i bought it when living in new york because i assume some stupid-rear end labeling laws made them put "IRRADIATED" in big letters right on the front and i thought that was cool as hell

it was fine idk

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp
lol ok that owns

tak
Jan 31, 2003

lol demowned
Grimey Drawer
yeah it's sterilized with gamma radiation. it's not a very good cut ime but it lasts a long time in the fridge

ryanrs
Jul 12, 2011

just throw it on the cobalt until it stops mooing

Truman Peyote
Oct 11, 2006

i'm not familiar with this "tube beef." like, ground beef that was sold to the end consumer in tubes? when i worked at safeway we had giant tubes full of mostly-ground meat that we had to put through the grinder to present in the regular foam trays, i'm assuming this is something different?

Roosevelt
Jul 18, 2009

Tony Pizzuto Says Hello

Shame Boy posted:

i bought it when living in new york because i assume some stupid-rear end labeling laws made them put "IRRADIATED" in big letters right on the front and i thought that was cool as hell

it was fine idk

lmbo

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp
tube beef.

Roosevelt
Jul 18, 2009

Tony Pizzuto Says Hello
i have some good burger tubes. i don't know what they weigh or the fat content. they came from the Tash ranch outside Polaris, MT, from the owner's personal home beeve freezer. otherwise,

Jonny 290 posted:

never buy the tube beef.

Luigi Thirty
Apr 30, 2006

Emergency confection port.

doesn’t come in a Texas-shaped patty, not buying

Elysiume
Aug 13, 2009

Alone, she fights.

Jonny 290 posted:

tube beef.

I know it wouldn't make a good burg but I love the idea of just slicing that straight onto the grill

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Roosevelt posted:

also, the US has a LOT of grazing land and cattle ranching. if you go into a supermarket chances are you're not going to get taco bell grade sewer beef unless you get the generic brand tube meat

lol sewer beef and tube meat made me laugh

Tayter Swift
Nov 18, 2002

Pillbug
last time i had a turkey i immediately horked a 7-10 split on the 10th frame, rip that game

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA
:xickos:

Shame Boy posted:

beef is the only thing we regularly undercook on purpose so that's probably not it

now on the other hand it's common knowledge that chicken will poison you immediately if you get it a half a degree below the correct temperature

yep ive died from undercooked chicken before

Truman Peyote
Oct 11, 2006

Jonny 290 posted:

tube beef.

its 100% pure beef what could possibly be wrong with that

go play outside Skyler
Nov 7, 2005

Truman Peyote posted:

they don't tell you how many different beefs are in that beef

Roosevelt
Jul 18, 2009

Tony Pizzuto Says Hello

Truman Peyote posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=001dtJ0srBI

refleks
Nov 21, 2006

Jonny 290 posted:

tube beef.

wait... 27% fat?

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp
73/27 is best for smashburgers. its fine. dont make meatloaf or w/e out of it

refleks
Nov 21, 2006

i dont even know where i would go to find that high a fat content in beef...

ryanrs
Jul 12, 2011

Kroger, it says.

73% is a bit fatty, but I'd rather have a 73% burger than a 90% burger.

refleks
Nov 21, 2006

im in yurop

i have never seen beef with that much fat in it. have i been missing out? Is my entire life a lie?

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,
slægt skal følge slægters gang

i think 12-18% is highest ive ever seen

Democratic Pirate
Feb 17, 2010

Jonny 290 posted:

73/27 is best for smashburgers. its fine. dont make meatloaf or w/e out of it

after years of >90% beef, my wife signed up for a work meal train thing and her coworker gave us a casserole that was like half cheese and half 73% beef. tasted good but drat near killed us. ended up throwing it out after 1 serving because it was way too rich.

anyways, how many new bots are driving up Twitter usage.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,
slægt skal følge slægters gang

gonna go with 90%+ bots, cant imagine many real people are signing up for twitter now that wasnt on it before?