Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Super Deuce
May 25, 2006
TOILETS
Oh, I like the smell of my own dumps.
The best part of Apocalypto was the trailer Gibson inserted a frame of himself in.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ShowTime
Mar 28, 2005

Aye Doc posted:

they do talk about the ending of Apocalypto, i don't really remember why

Just in relation to the episode and how poorly it's going for the Juarez family, things are terrible for them, but the end result is way more terrible. Just like in Apocalypto, things are going very badly, but what happens at the end is way worse. Discussion of that film took place while they were writing it and was an inspiration.

Mister Speaker
May 8, 2007

WE WILL CONTROL
ALL THAT YOU SEE
AND HEAR

Super Deuce posted:

The best part of Apocalypto was the opening scene where they prank the impotent dude by making him eat tapir balls 'for fertility' and they all laugh their asses off at him and even the one guy's dad is in on the joke

quote:

also Raoul Trujillo, that guy was fucken harsh

Cockblocktopus
Apr 18, 2009

Since the beginning of time, man has yearned to destroy the sun.

Su casa... es no más.
Su vida... es no más.

Aye Doc
Jul 19, 2007

https://twitter.com/TheSunnyPodcast/status/1596599988175323137

god, why

CPColin
Sep 9, 2003

Big ol' smile.

Aye Doc posted:

golden god, why

Slightly Absurd
Mar 22, 2004

why not?

SLICK GOKU BABY
Jun 12, 2001

Hey Hey Let's Go! 喧嘩する
大切な物を protect my balls

Lin-Manuel seems pretty cool and reasonable to have on when talking about a musical episode.

Pretty sure they are supposed to start filming season 16 in Januaryish, so we are getting in a time where it's possible some potential writers / guest stars could make an appearance on the podcast, even if they maybe don't mention that the person is involved in season 16.

1glitch0
Sep 4, 2018

I DON'T GIVE A CRAP WHAT SHE BELIEVES THE HARRY POTTER BOOKS CHANGED MY LIFE #HUFFLEPUFF

lol

incredible

drunken officeparty
Aug 23, 2006

Devito can’t be that busy these days

cant cook creole bream
Aug 15, 2011
I think Fahrenheit is better for weather

drunken officeparty posted:

They will get an hour with someone ultra famous like Taylor Swift, or Beyonce before they get a minute with him.

SLICK GOKU BABY
Jun 12, 2001

Hey Hey Let's Go! 喧嘩する
大切な物を protect my balls

drunken officeparty posted:

Well from IMDB, Devito has 2 movie projects and some short thing currently in post production and also still Triplets that might still be in preproduction (the director died so they haven't started filming it) and another movie announced. Which is more than Charlie, Glenn, and Rob have...

XboxPants
Jan 30, 2006

Steven doesn't want me watching him sleep anymore.

SLICK GOKU BABY posted:

Well from IMDB, Devito has 2 movie projects and some short thing currently in post production and also still Triplets that might still be in preproduction (the director died so they haven't started filming it) and another movie announced. Which is more than Charlie, Glenn, and Rob have...

he sure has time for an entire series of Jersey Mike's cheesesteaks commercials, I don't think time is the issue

Gargamel Gibson
Apr 24, 2014

Lin's lame.

Puppy Galaxy
Aug 1, 2004

having Lin Manuel Miranda on is just the natural progression of a popular podcast, along with ads and paid premium episodes. It’s unfortunate but it’s unavoidable

Professor Wayne
Aug 27, 2008

So, Harvey, what became of the giant penny?

They actually let him keep it.
I think I'd rather have Lin on the show than having to listen to them talk about "manifesting." Though Charlie made some great faces during that part

Super Deuce
May 25, 2006
TOILETS
Oh, I like the smell of my own dumps.
The first thing Lin-Manuel Miranda has done in his life where I didn’t find him to be obnoxious. Good episode. They had a great time.

DrVenkman
Dec 28, 2005

I think he can hear you, Ray.
They've done it more than once now, but I like those openings where it's just Charlie playing the piano while someone else looks on dreamily.

Aye Doc
Jul 19, 2007

Super Deuce posted:

The first thing Lin-Manuel Miranda has done in his life where I didn’t find him to be obnoxious. Good episode. They had a great time.

it was really funny that multiple times, the gang wanted to start talking about Hamilton, and lin had to be like hey no let's actually talk about your show, the show this podcast is about

Scott Forstall
Aug 16, 2003

MMM THAT FAUX LEATHER
I enjoyed this episode. Not too familiar with Miranda outside or watching Hamilton once on d+, but I thought it was great to have a theater celebrity who is also clearly a fan, based on some of his comments.

ShoogaSlim
May 22, 2001

YOU ARE THE DUMBEST MEATHEAD IDIOT ON THE PLANET, STOP FUCKING POSTING

good episode. im a listener most of the time and not a creep since it helps pass the time to and from work. it was nice to start my week and commute with charlie singing at the piano. real wholesome stuff.

Cockblocktopus
Apr 18, 2009

Might have been one of the best episodes of the podcast (at least since they started giving a poo poo)? Both guests helped keep the conversation loosely related to the episode (especially LMM making them walk through each song), some good insight into both the making of the episode and the actors' lives, some good jokes, some Charlie playing the piano, and nothing overstaying its welcome.

Hedgehog Pie
May 19, 2012

Total fuckin' silence.
I rewatched The Gang Squashes Their Beef the other day for Thanksgiving. Do any of the people (aside from Cricket) they lock inside the burning apartment ever show up again? So the McPoyles, Gail the Snail, Frank and Charlie's landlord, Bill Ponderosa and "Bruce Mathis"? It just occurred to me, lol.

Mister Speaker
May 8, 2007

WE WILL CONTROL
ALL THAT YOU SEE
AND HEAR
Bill Ponderosa shows up in The Trial of the Century, other than that off the top of my head I can't think of any. Wait I guess that means the McPoyles do, because that episode is a coda to the 'wedding' story arc.

I would like to see more of these characters return but I kinda feel like the show is winding down to a conclusion and the Thanksgiving episode (or others) closed a number of threads in an appropriate way.

Have we seen Luther since Mac Kills His Dad? I'm not gonna admit to drunk posting here but I'm at a loss.

ShoogaSlim
May 22, 2001

pondy shows up two seasons later to give frank an aspirin

Cockblocktopus
Apr 18, 2009

Mister Speaker posted:

Have we seen Luther since Mac Kills His Dad? I'm not gonna admit to drunk posting here but I'm at a loss.

Luther's pretty central to the episode where Mac comes out (finale of Season 13).

Mister Speaker
May 8, 2007

WE WILL CONTROL
ALL THAT YOU SEE
AND HEAR
Oh yeah gently caress, of course. I thought for a second that was all retro footage of Mac' Dad.

Party Boat
Nov 1, 2007

where did that other dog come from

who is he

ShoogaSlim posted:

pondy shows up two seasons later to give frank an aspirin

Hwang (the landlord) is also in the Frank POV episode eating a snakemeat sandwich with him

emanresu tnuocca
Sep 2, 2011

by Athanatos
I thought this episode sparked a lot of joy, as others noted Lin really steered this episode on course, Charlie is a master of karate and friendship.

Organic Lube User
Apr 15, 2005

Ooh maybe we can get Pondy back once they kill his character off on Young Sheldon.

oh jay
Oct 15, 2012

Mister Speaker posted:

Oh yeah gently caress, of course. I thought for a second that was all retro footage of Mac' Dad.

For what it's worth, I feel like they can't use Luthor again after that.

In a show full of assholes, rapists, racists, addicts, maybe even a murderer or two, Luther rejecting his son like that just makes him a whole nother tier of bad guy, and I don't think they can do jokes with him anymore.

Luther Vandross with him offscreen was a fine gag, but I don't need to see him again.

ChesterJT
Dec 28, 2003

Mounty Pumper's Flying Circus

oh jay posted:

In a show full of assholes, rapists, racists, addicts, maybe even a murderer or two, Luther rejecting his son like that just makes him a whole nother tier of bad guy

Well thats certainly a take...

ShoogaSlim
May 22, 2001

there's something more viscerally despicable about mac's dad (McDad?) watching his son pour his heart out and just brush it off and walk away vs for instance alluding to charlie's uncle being a rapist. we see one actually unfold as part of the narrative of the show in realtime instead of being hinted at and played for obvious laughs.

oh jay
Oct 15, 2012

Yeah, that's what I was hinting at. There's cartoon bad (99% of the characters) and there's exactly analogous to the real world kind of bad..

SLICK GOKU BABY
Jun 12, 2001

Hey Hey Let's Go! 喧嘩する
大切な物を protect my balls

Luther has pretty much never shown that he gives a gently caress about Mac. Always has been Mac trying to get his attention or pretend he loves him. Mac came out as gay and he continued to not give a gently caress about Mac. Not sure if that qualifies as some form of evil beyond the normal of the show. Straight or gay Mac, Luther's relationship towards Mac is still the same.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius
Luther has cared about Mac in his own way. He tried to get them tickets to the baseball hall of Fame, but that violated his parole. Then he left a letter for Mac saying he loves him but needs his space. If anything, I think him just walking away when mac comes out to him seems off.

No Dignity
Oct 15, 2007

Luther is basically just a contrarian who will take whatever position makes his relationship with his son worse by the end of the episode

ThisIsJohnWayne
Feb 23, 2007
Ooo! Look at me! NO DON'T LOOK AT ME!

I'd say same, Luther don't do anything different that time he just goes "mac's doing something weird again and every time that happens it ends extremely badly for me". We've discussed this how many times? Luther is like the one character in the show that learns from experience after interacting with the gang. He's reserved in every plot line until the crescendo, whenever a scheme gets some real momentum, and then he peaces out hard - which is bad for the gangs plan but good for everyone else. Can't fault him for not understanding where mac was going with it.
If it was the waitress walking out of nightman would that make her bad? How? Wtf, why?

And if this is about the dance, buddy let me hurt you: I don't get it either. At all. I'm watching Rob being a little athletic on a stage. I'm having the same reaction as if I was watching a tumble dryer. Is there words your interpretation of movement is supposed to give me? If there are they're lost in translation, getting stuck on the cultural shock of American dance to Northern European barbarism maybe. It's all just random strutting to me.
Whatever that is supposed to be it really looks like the real motivation is middleaged Rob's lust for public ego-masturbation again

E. With the dance not communicating anything, it only looks like Rob suddenly wanting to show-off in his comedy show and it's so god damned strange

ThisIsJohnWayne fucked around with this message at 11:15 on Nov 30, 2022

Annabel Pee
Dec 29, 2008
Are you luther?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ThisIsJohnWayne
Feb 23, 2007
Ooo! Look at me! NO DON'T LOOK AT ME!

Annabel Pee posted:

Are you luther?

Are you Mac?