Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

No Wave
Sep 18, 2005

HA! HA! NICE! WHAT A TOOL!

Devor posted:

I like your version of the world where these dudes are just chilling in Liyue, instead of being spun up and destroyed every time your PC loads the zone, using your quest flags to determine which NPCs get loaded. It's much more evocative. Kind of like Tron.

Just hundreds of Paimons running around getting in trouble while we're not looking.
You're right. No one is suggesting NPCs should be double/triple/quadruple spawned if they're involved in multiple quests.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Devor
Nov 30, 2004
Lurking more.

No Wave posted:

You're right. No one is suggesting NPCs should be double/triple/quadruple spawned if they're involved in multiple quests.

If I managed to get 8 quests to a stage where Nahida is standing in a coffee shop, and you don't reward me with 8 overlapping Nahidas, what are we even doing here

What's the point

haypliss
Oct 2, 2022
This last week until Wanderer is really killing me.

No Wave
Sep 18, 2005

The bigger issue is total placement rearrangements, like Osial part 2, the exuvia dying, moonchase in general, etc etc. There needs to be some system of not allowing quests to overlap and this one is straightforward and always works and can even be done automatically. There are times its really badly thought out ofc like nilou's blocking in 3.2 and they need to make a rule for the first step of character quests to be non-blocking period.

Zenostein
Aug 16, 2008

:h::h::h:Alhamdulillah-chan:h::h::h:
No, they should rewrite the game to not inconvenience me. Same with artifacts and whatnot.

gandlethorpe
Aug 16, 2008

:gowron::m10:

haypliss posted:

This last week until Wanderer is really killing me.

At this point, I'm auto pulling for him for the mere fact that he'll let me do the drat jellyfish chase commission I get nearly every day 30 seconds faster

Mailer
Nov 4, 2009

Have you accepted The Void as your lord and savior?

sushibandit posted:

When that happens, the quest should go "active", and the world should reload and place characters where they need to be for that quest. Yes it can be a minor inconvenience if you misclick, get over it.

I obviously have no idea, but I'm guessing an extra load time every time you click a quest (in the beginning days, with tons of quests and no conflicts) was deemed too much of a bugbear to respawn the world every quest. I barely have touched Genshin on a phone, and certainly not on a modern gotta-have-the-latest phone, but the PS4 load times were abysmal. They're nice and quick on my modern PC with an M2 drive but that's not their target demo.

I suspect in the beginning it was just not considered a problem. Then they got a conflict with a character needing to appear in two places and hacked around it by saying the character was busy so problem solved. Then they continued to pile hacks on until welp. Now you have many millions of players in variable game states and every single quest involving a town is a dozen conflicts. I think they thought the key system would help to avoid this, since I can't think of any other reason for it to exist. They've now tried to paper over it with Quick Start options which makes me think actually solving the problem is now entirely too hard.

Devs gonna dev, basically.

Justin_Brett posted:

Wait, who would be better for supporting on-field Nahida than XQ if what you're after is spawning cores? Yelan I guess, but they do the same thing.

One of the parts about seeing off-field Nahida so much is I look at the team and most of the time it'd be better with Nahida on the field. We've got two XQs now, and two great options for off-field hyperbloom triggers, plus some extras to fill gaps like Koko/Yae/Fish. Stop putting Nahida in a corner. She's awesome.

MadHat
Mar 31, 2011
Who does not want to DDR someone into the ground with a small child?

No Wave
Sep 18, 2005

Again, it's not really a hack. Say a quest wants you to talk to katherine in sumeru. And then when you talk to katherine in sumeru this progresses the quest. How is this supposed to operate with two quests involving talking to katherine in sumeru simultaneously?

sushibandit
Feb 12, 2009

Mailer posted:

I suspect in the beginning it was just not considered a problem. Then they got a conflict with a character needing to appear in two places and hacked around it by saying the character was busy so problem solved.
Devs gonna dev, basically.
This is almost certainly the real reason.

What's funny is they do already have a system of instancing/reloading for some quests, like the infamous three-temples climbing puzzle in western Liyue that for some reason locked people out of co-op until they completed it, which was apparently quite difficult for some due to the interior geometry and time limit of the last part of the challenge.

Mailer posted:

One of the parts about seeing off-field Nahida so much is I look at the team and most of the time it'd be better with Nahida on the field.
This. She does put out a ton of dendro, but if you're running a double-hydro-application comp lik xq+yelan or xq/yelan with onfield barbs/mona/nilou/kokomi it doesn't feel like quite enough to keep those cores generating nonstop. Plus her animations are awesome. Now we just need a shielding dendro unit for resonance and double-dendro-double-hydro will be super comfy and even more hilariously strong.

Mailer
Nov 4, 2009

Have you accepted The Void as your lord and savior?

sushibandit posted:

What's funny is they do already have a system of instancing/reloading for some quests, like the infamous three-temples climbing puzzle in western Liyue that for some reason locked people out of co-op until they completed it, which was apparently quite difficult for some due to the interior geometry and time limit of the last part of the challenge.

The co-op lockouts and limitations are more hax, but the biggest one I can think of it "Wait two days". It's like elevator loading, but for Genshin.

DeadFatDuckFat
Oct 29, 2012

This avatar brought to you by the 'save our dead gay forums' foundation.

I like this npc that gives me primos and books in exchange for trash

Lazy_Liberal
Sep 17, 2005

These stones are :sparkles: precious :sparkles:
and he's got great hair

Justin_Brett
Oct 23, 2012

GAMERDOME put down LOSER
Foreshadows the story months in advance, he does it all.

MoonCrab
Nov 19, 2014

A mildly pertubed emoji face
He also lost a fortune investing in dogecoin last year, so he's got his ups and downs :v:

Incoherence
May 22, 2004

POYO AND TEAR

No Wave posted:

Again, it's not really a hack. Say a quest wants you to talk to katherine in sumeru. And then when you talk to katherine in sumeru this progresses the quest. How is this supposed to operate with two quests involving talking to katherine in sumeru simultaneously?
You add two dialogue options to Katheryne instead of having her automatically talk to you when you wander within range of her. They already have a quest-related contextual dialogue option thing in the game (weekly requests and the Mondstadt food delivery daily commission are examples of this).

No Wave posted:

The bigger issue is total placement rearrangements, like Osial part 2, the exuvia dying, moonchase in general, etc etc. There needs to be some system of not allowing quests to overlap and this one is straightforward and always works and can even be done automatically.
Yeah, stuff like this can be a larger problem, but these examples are relatively infrequent and somewhat more understandable. You don't really want to deal with event NPCs in the Sabzeruz Festival or whatever. I can even understand the development benefits of just using a big hammer like this for every possible conflict, given their apparent desire to not spawn multiple Lisa NPCs in the world for immersion reasons. But at some point it would be nice to have a more discriminating system so you don't create problems by picking up side quests.

serefin99
Apr 15, 2016

Mikoooon~
Your lovely shrine maiden fox wife, Tamamo no Mae, is here to help!

Zenostein posted:

No, they should rewrite the game to not inconvenience me. Same with artifacts and whatnot.

This but unironically.

Coolness Averted
Feb 20, 2007

oh don't worry, I can't smell asparagus piss, it's in my DNA

GO HOGG WILD!
🐗🐗🐗🐗🐗
There should probably be an SA thread where all of our smart unity/gamedev/DB folks could show off how they would easily fix games they've never seen the code for at low/0 cost. That kind of expertise is wasted here in the genshin thread

mikemil828
May 15, 2008

A man who has said too much
It's time to believe in the heart of the cards...whatever that is..

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JUSZOjmD_1U

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

Just how many mistakes have you suffered on the way here?

An uncountable number, to be sure.

Mailer posted:

I obviously have no idea, but I'm guessing an extra load time every time you click a quest (in the beginning days, with tons of quests and no conflicts) was deemed too much of a bugbear to respawn the world every quest. I barely have touched Genshin on a phone, and certainly not on a modern gotta-have-the-latest phone, but the PS4 load times were abysmal. They're nice and quick on my modern PC with an M2 drive but that's not their target demo.

They already have quests where it takes you to a loading screen to reposition every single NPC, so clearly it's not THAT much a bugbear. Frankly you could have it work exactly the same way it works now, but also give the player the option to reload the world if they try to select a quest that conflicts with the current world state. Instead of making them do the entire questline they clearly don't want to do right now. Like, they already have a system in place to deactivate quest NPC loading, they just don't let us choose which ones to prioritize? Which is dumb.

Clarste fucked around with this message at 06:42 on Nov 30, 2022

ninjoatse.cx
Apr 9, 2005

Fun Shoe
They also had bugs in Sumeru where NPCs appeared twice and had different conversations based on which you spoke to. I didn't even care enough to mention it in the thread.

MoonCrab
Nov 19, 2014

A mildly pertubed emoji face

mikemil828 posted:

It's time to believe in the heart of the cards...whatever that is..

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JUSZOjmD_1U

I hope this is just a normal side activity without any... f2p tcg type of card acquisition. TCG stuff is the only thing as predatory as gacha, which is actually able to successfully predate me lol

I've been trying to get away from it!

Meowywitch
Jan 14, 2010

Fight for all that is beautiful in the world

the true answer is just never unlock story quests and always quick start

Garrand
Dec 28, 2012

Rhino, you did this to me!

I hate that everyone says TCG. Imagine going up to your friends and saying 'let's play some magic: the gathering TCG'

Tsyni
Sep 1, 2004
Lipstick Apathy
I want super rare cards locked behind a new TCG banner, I can't wait. Except let me use sweet flowers to wish on it.

Lobsterpillar
Feb 4, 2014

Tsyni posted:

I want super rare cards locked behind a new TCG banner, I can't wait. Except let me use sweet flowers to wish on it.

I think I know what exhibition Kuki will be doing for the foreseeable future

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Hello? Can you hear me? ...Perhaps if I shout? AAAAAAAAAH!

MoonCrab posted:

I hope this is just a normal side activity without any... f2p tcg type of card acquisition. TCG stuff is the only thing as predatory as gacha, which is actually able to successfully predate me lol

I've been trying to get away from it!

You collect cards but you will eventually have everything by just playing against people.

valuum
Sep 3, 2003
ø

Tsyni posted:

100 flowers per wish it is!

gandlethorpe posted:

At this point, I'm auto pulling for him for the mere fact that he'll let me do the drat jellyfish chase commission I get nearly every day 30 seconds faster

I think all of those except one can be done in < 10 seconds if you start running and mash T while you start the event. One of them can even be completed as soon as you start :toot:

Captain France
Aug 3, 2013

Garrand posted:

I hate that everyone says TCG. Imagine going up to your friends and saying 'let's play some magic: the gathering TCG'

This and the idea that it's a thing that exists in-universe but the cards include characters who are 100% not famous in-universe and that Ganyu apparently has time to play card games sorta annoy me on an immersion level, yeah. Like, Collei is a trainee forest ranger. How does she have an in-universe trading card! Xingqui's entire wandering hero thing is supposed to be a secret to his family, although I suppose it'd be funny if he was well known enough as an author and travelling hero to have a trading card but still successfully kept it from his family.

But on the other hand the art is nice and no event that includes Fischl OR Sucrose can be bad, let alone one that includes both of them. Plus I like TCGs.

Also there should be a Fischl card that's based on the books and therefore does not look or sound quite like Fischl.

Captain France fucked around with this message at 12:13 on Nov 30, 2022

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

Just how many mistakes have you suffered on the way here?

An uncountable number, to be sure.
I mean, anyone who has a Vision at all is relatively rare and basically superhuman, so it's less surprising than it might be otherwise.

Rexxed
May 1, 2010

Dis is amazing!
I gotta try dis!

Something something reserved list.

Tree Reformat
Apr 2, 2022

by Fluffdaddy
I just assume the in-universe TCG uses completely different cards than we the video game players use. Like they're playing with Vanessa and other lore people. Or erstaz fictional versions thereof.

I just throw it on the "gameplay does not equal story" pile with "the Traveler fights all the battles you use your gacha team for".

Tree Reformat fucked around with this message at 14:12 on Nov 30, 2022

Tree Reformat
Apr 2, 2022

by Fluffdaddy
quote is not edit, even on mobile

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Hello? Can you hear me? ...Perhaps if I shout? AAAAAAAAAH!

Captain France posted:

This and the idea that it's a thing that exists in-universe but the cards include characters who are 100% not famous in-universe and that Ganyu apparently has time to play card games sorta annoy me on an immersion level, yeah. Like, Collei is a trainee forest ranger. How does she have an in-universe trading card! Xingqui's entire wandering hero thing is supposed to be a secret to his family, although I suppose it'd be funny if he was well known enough as an author and travelling hero to have a trading card but still successfully kept it from his family.

But on the other hand the art is nice and no event that includes Fischl OR Sucrose can be bad, let alone one that includes both of them. Plus I like TCGs.

Also there should be a Fischl card that's based on the books and therefore does not look or sound quite like Fischl.

I bet Gwent ruined the hell out of you in Witcher, didn't it

Bananasaurus Rex
Mar 19, 2009
man gwent really was great

hope the npcs in genshin give the same awkward head nod when you ask them to play cards no matter the context

blacksmith: witcher, my son fell off a boat and drowned

Geralt: gwent?

*nods head*

Kale
May 14, 2010

I love that according to the trailer for it Ganyu plays the TCG

haypliss
Oct 2, 2022

Garrand posted:

That Kaeya birthday message was uh, weird. Definitely read like he was paid to read copy and only once or twice slipped into his more normal character voice.

Zenostein
Aug 16, 2008

Kale posted:

I love that according to the trailer for it Ganyu plays the TCG

everyone does, it's sweeping the world by storm because we say so so you, too, should be super excited for this

whatever, at least now we can go into the cat's tail. that's nice, i guess.

FractalSandwich
Apr 25, 2010

Zenostein posted:

everyone does, it's sweeping the world by storm because we say so so you, too, should be super excited for this

whatever, at least now we can go into the cat's tail. that's nice, i guess.
I'm willing to forgive them that bit of telling rather than showing, since there's not really any sensible way to foreshadow a whole new mode that isn't ready yet in-game.

Though it certainly would have been funnier if it were an incredibly niche interest and the Cat's Tail was the only place in the world with an active scene.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zenostein
Aug 16, 2008

well, the "we say so" was them constantly dropping it into events/commissions/quest bits/web events/&c. for quite a few months (although that's just inazuma and sumeru)

mind, you probably wouldn't know this if you didn't poke around event areas and talk to npcs and pay attention to whatever various people were saying.

honestly, it's weirder that they've taken the bar that's famous for magically delicious drinks and turned it into a game shop like the cafes are in sumeru.