Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

TheDiceMustRoll
Jul 23, 2018

Khanstant posted:

When did the first Minecraft merch happen? I played MC when it was first just a browser based dealio and for a bit after it became a standalone client, like when lighting a tree on fire meant the whole world might burn forever and not sure how much of the current basics of today's version were in yet. Then was busy with school and poo poo for years, didn't mess with it or hear much, and suddenly little kids have minecraft toys and stuff, noticed they had legos and all this other stuff, full blown publicly known normal franchise now.

Alcohol-dependent deep dwarf fantasy world simulation may not have the mass universal appeal that "playing with blocks" has but I look forward to seeing Dwarf Fortress in the wild in the coming years.

i liked dwarf fortress before

a) a ui

b) z levels

c) audio

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

Eric the Mauve posted:

I need a Fangamer Dwarf Fortress guide

I need it injected into my veins

3d ascii plushies

HopperUK
Apr 29, 2007

Why would an ambulance be leaving the hospital?

Tunicate posted:

3d ascii plushies

I'd buy a pillow shaped like the little dwarf icon in a heartbeat.

Arrath
Apr 14, 2011

I can't wait to give the bros more money. It's been an age since I donated.

madmatt112
Jul 11, 2016

Is that a cat in your pants, or are you just a lonely excuse for an adult?

Tunicate posted:

3d ascii plushies

Minivan dwarf family ascii sticker set, complete with cats and dogs.

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

I never get tired of seeing tarns calm glee at doing dwarves for a living

MonkeyforaHead
Apr 7, 2006

God, you vindictive bitch, why can't I ever have any "me" time

Eric the Mauve posted:

I need a Fangamer Dwarf Fortress guide

I need it injected into my veins

An updated version of that one by Peter Tyson from back in the day would be great. Still have it on hand to leaf through for its explanations of certain Z-level concepts like the 'floors' between levels and pumping liquids that refuse to actually take root in my brain on occasions when I pick the game back up.

Danaru
Jun 5, 2012

何 ??
https://twitter.com/spacecoyotl/status/1597314418995793921

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

Those designs are great! Plus: dwarf fortress merch. Dwarf, fortress, merch. Dwarf fortress merch.

No, still weird.

nielsm
Jun 1, 2009

This is a cotton fabric t-shirt. The fabric is dyed black. On the front of the item is printed an image containing text, a dwarf, and several demons. The text reads Dwarf Fortress. The dwarf is surrounded by skeletons. The dwarf is screaming. The demons are screaming. The skeletons menace with spikes of bone.

madmatt112
Jul 11, 2016

nielsm posted:

This is a cotton fabric t-shirt. The fabric is dyed black. On the front of the item is printed an image containing text, a dwarf, and several demons. The text reads Dwarf Fortress. The dwarf is surrounded by skeletons. The dwarf is screaming. The demons are screaming. The skeletons menace with spikes of bone.

All craftninaship is of the highest quality.

TheDiceMustRoll
Jul 23, 2018
Is fangamer worth it? I bought one thing from them in 2012, a toque/beanie and it fell apart after two wears.

TheDiceMustRoll fucked around with this message at 21:49 on Nov 29, 2022

Anno
May 10, 2017

I'm going to drown! For no reason at all!

AMA going on over on the SF subreddit.

https://www.reddit.com/r/dwarffortress/comments/z82m0g/im_tarn_adams_aka_toady_one_dwarf_fortress/

Freakazoid_
Jul 5, 2013

Buglord

Anno posted:

It was in the blog post they put up on Steam (and I assume elsewhere) the day of the release date announcement.

Google still has the $20 price point prominently displayed as the first result, which is what they said would be the price a couple years ago.

Not a huge increase but it caught me by surprise and will probably surprise others too.

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

Making you happy for a buck since 199X

TheDiceMustRoll posted:

Is fangamer worth it? I bought one thing from them in 2012, a toque/beanie and it fell apart after two wears.

Extremely worth it IMO. Did you reach out to them about it at the time, they have really great customer service, or used to.

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

some redditor posted:

Hey Tarn and Zack! First I want you to know you guys are an inspiration. You made what has been my dream game since the day I discovered that declaring the tiniest lego pieces to be starships allowed me a much larger scale of play,

:ibadpop:

Wolfechu
May 2, 2009

All the world's a stage I'm going through

woke kaczynski posted:

I'm gonna replace my entire wardrobe with 20 copies of that shirt

Just the shirt? No pants, no socks? You gonna wear all 20 shirts at once?
Classic Dwarf Fortress

Zesty
Jan 17, 2012

The Great Twist
I am screaming.

manero
Jan 30, 2006

nielsm posted:

:iit:

Ok that doesn't show up well in dark mode SA

madmatt112
Jul 11, 2016

manero posted:

:iit:

Ok that doesn't show up well in dark mode SA

True, but it gives me an idea for an ear-looped piece of merch!

SSJ_naruto_2003
Oct 12, 2012

I just bought a numpad in anticipation for dwarf fortress and now he's saying he's changing the default controls to work with mouse???

Wolfechu
May 2, 2009

All the world's a stage I'm going through

SSJ_naruto_2003 posted:

I just bought a numpad in anticipation for dwarf fortress and now he's saying he's changing the default controls to work with mouse???

It's worse than you think, I saw them using WASD on one of the tutorial vids

(It'll be fine, I'm sure, but who knows what key you pick for designating now)

SSJ_naruto_2003
Oct 12, 2012

I hope I can just rebind it to classic controls

Ra Ra Rasputin
Apr 2, 2011
Dwarf fortress releasing in a week on steam feels weird, like it should be one of those projects that's in limbo forever with no release date in sight with small teases along the way like a dev blog about implementing dog saliva or nose hair color which is separate from head hair color.

madmatt112
Jul 11, 2016

Ra Ra Rasputin posted:

Dwarf fortress releasing in a week on steam feels weird, like it should be one of those projects that's in limbo forever with no release date in sight with small teases along the way like a dev blog about implementing dog saliva or nose hair color which is separate from head hair color.

Brother, it has certainly felt like forever since they announced the steam version.

M_Gargantua
Oct 16, 2006

STOMP'N ON INTO THE POWERLINES

Exciting Lemon

SSJ_naruto_2003 posted:

Really every keyboard should be a 104 keyboard, for Dwarf Fortress, but also because numpads are very handy all the time.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty

SSJ_naruto_2003 posted:

I hope I can just rebind it to classic controls
I mean, they're still including the original version in the steam release, right? or visually, or whatever? so I'd imagine they'd include original keybinds as well, this release seems tailor made to try to not alienate as many people as possible. well, as possible as that is with dwarf fortress

Ra Ra Rasputin posted:

If you enjoy interminable waiting for an insanely-anticipated game project, you should follow Megaman X Corrupted, an unbelievably good-looking fangame designed to replicate the "memory"(like Sonic Mania does for Sonic) of SNES-era Megaman X, in production for something like 17 years now, that releases teaser gameplay videos every so often and will blueball you harder than anything else

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004

Captain Invictus posted:

I mean, they're still including the original version in the steam release, right? or visually, or whatever? so I'd imagine they'd include original keybinds as well, this release seems tailor made to try to not alienate as many people as possible. well, as possible as that is with dwarf fortress
Classic Mode (and Arena Mode) won't be in the initial release since they won't quite be ready according to the devblog. They'll probably come early in the new year once everyone's gotten through hotfixes + holidays.

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004
Vaguely interesting/useful information from this AMA:

• Procedural sprites for forgotten beasts... sort of. Body parts get swapped out based on their descriptions, using the same system as Dwarf clothes etc.
  • Statues just look like their creature type for now. Maybe in the future they'll get pose sprites or something.
  • Multicore situation is mostly the same as ever (the visuals are on a different thread), but the game's a little faster now due to code improvements and an updated compiler. Worldgen in particular is "much, much faster".
  • Shortly after launch of the Steam version, there will be an update to the free version adding the mouse controls. After that, updates between the free and Steam releases should be simultaneous. They'll share the same game features, but the free version will be restricted to ASCII view and use Tarn's old guitar noodlings instead of the new soundtrack.
  • Some thoughts on the planned "map rewrite" arc of development in the distant future:
    - Hoping to bring back some of the nice feeling from the 2D era for the underworld
    - Hoping to add lots of geological features like canyons, mesas, batholiths and fantastical stuff. Not sure if they'll be actual geological processes in worldgen, but it'll be more than current.
  • Post Steam launch plans:
    - Fix whatever big issues pop up
    - Fix up Classic Mode and Arena Mode for the Steam release (and update the free version, as mentioned)
    - Do the new UI for Adventure Mode
    - Villains arc (Tarn will be happy if he gets started on this in 2023, for reference)
    - Army/siege arc
    - Myth and magic!
  • Tarn hopes to hire more devs if the launch goes well. Maybe not for like, actual core game stuff, but certainly for things like porting to other platforms, bug fixing, optimisations, mod support expansion, etc.
  • Some keyboard shortcuts are changed due to WASD now controlling the cursor.
  • Unsure about Steam Deck support.
  • Ultrawide support is confirmed.
  • Mod support stuff is basically the same raws system.
  • No plans for DLC.
  • There's a new "animal agitation system"...

Weird Pumpkin
Oct 7, 2007

I'm actually pretty excited for a new version of Adventure mode. Feels like something I'd enjoy, but my dumb rear end can't make heads or tails of the navigation in the version that exists today. Combining 3D space with text just confuses the heck out of me in roguelikes

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

I'm torn on whether I want to buy it honestly. I could never really stick with the game and I dunno how much of that is the interface and how much is just that it isn't really a game as much as a simulator you can play with.

I could never get the military to work so I ended up spending a lot of time just walled up, digging out places for the sake of it.

I dunno, I feel like it would be hard to go back to dwarf fortress having played a lot of rimworld and gotten very attached to the far more refined game aspect.

Loddfafnir
Mar 27, 2021

OwlFancier posted:

I'm torn on whether I want to buy it honestly. I could never really stick with the game and I dunno how much of that is the interface and how much is just that it isn't really a game as much as a simulator you can play with.

I could never get the military to work so I ended up spending a lot of time just walled up, digging out places for the sake of it.

I dunno, I feel like it would be hard to go back to dwarf fortress having played a lot of rimworld and gotten very attached to the far more refined game aspect.

Wait a bit and look at some Let's Play, maybe?

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

I likely will. I like watching kruggsmash's videos.

I have played DF a fair bit, as I said I just never really got away with it. I would like to utilize the 3d space to build big grand fortifications but I could never actually see a mechanical reason to do so and I was never able to get the military to fight anything properly, it was all extremely opaque. And as far as I can tell there is very limited opportunity for actually commanding them, they mostly do their own thing in a fairly disorganized fashion.

That and the myriad bizzare threats that do not seem at all concerned about balance like were creatures and forgotten beasts just made games feel very difficult to enjoy, as I have no idea how dangerous anything is or whether I should expect to be able to fight it (other than almost invariably "no" because the military always died to everything I tried to send them to fight)

madmatt112
Jul 11, 2016

OwlFancier posted:

I likely will. I like watching kruggsmash's videos.

I have played DF a fair bit, as I said I just never really got away with it. I would like to utilize the 3d space to build big grand fortifications but I could never actually see a mechanical reason to do so and I was never able to get the military to fight anything properly, it was all extremely opaque. And as far as I can tell there is very limited opportunity for actually commanding them, they mostly do their own thing in a fairly disorganized fashion.

That and the myriad bizzare threats that do not seem at all concerned about balance like were creatures and forgotten beasts just made games feel very difficult to enjoy, as I have no idea how dangerous anything is or whether I should expect to be able to fight it (other than almost invariably "no" because the military always died to everything I tried to send them to fight)

DF is like a super fancy ten course meal that you order without getting any input at all. You get what you get and it’s what you make of it - half through effort and half through changing your expectations as you go.

I think.

Idek anymore, dwarf fortress is an enigma I can’t escape.

canepazzo
May 29, 2006

WASD controls? I guess we aren't mining anymore, nor building workshops or armor stands or Armok-damned doors wtf Tarn

can't wait to buy sixteen copies

Arrath
Apr 14, 2011

I wonder what the onboarding process is like for new devs. Do they turn them loose in the code base then lock them in a padded room until they recover their sanity after staring into an eldritch abyss?

madmatt112
Jul 11, 2016

Arrath posted:

I wonder what the onboarding process is like for new devs. Do they turn them loose in the code base then lock them in a padded room until they recover their sanity after staring into an eldritch abyss?

I think Tarn waits until one is seized by a strange mood, then locks them in a room with a laptop and git branch. If they fail to complete their task, they simply throw themselves out the window. If they succeed, Tarn devours them and grows in skill and lifeforce.

Punkinhead
Apr 2, 2015

Quick question, is there a way to make or acquire a large number of loincloths for Dwarves?

I've got a booming fashion industry now and my lil goobers are fully decked out in masterwork clothes but they've all got tattered undies because I don't see a way to make loincloths anywhere.

edit : I didn't know artifacts could be asymmetrical!

Punkinhead fucked around with this message at 00:08 on Dec 1, 2022

xarph
Jun 18, 2001

I don't see any spikes menacing from that pint glass :colbert:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bad Munki
Nov 4, 2008

We're all mad here.

xarph posted:

I don't see any spikes menacing from that pint glass :colbert:

No no, you spike the stuff you put in it.