Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Randalor
Sep 4, 2011

Morpheus posted:

Vampyr does that annoying that that many games do - saying that you 'should' do the thing that takes away a lot of the fun of the game. I stopped playing the game while doing my no-kill run in it because it sorta strips a lot of the purpose out of it.

Like, sure, I could learn this guy's backstory, but why? I don't get any xp out of it.

There should've been some sort of alternate reward for '100%'ing a person, like equipment or half the total xp (other half delivered upon consumption), that sort of thing.

If you don't learn their whole backstory, then how will you know which people need to be removed from the genepool/are unrepentant monsters?

I have no idea if there are any "This person is genuinely a bad person, feel free to eat them without remorse" people, but considering that Vampyr apparently does allow for SOME people-eating while still allowing you to get the best ending, I'm assuming that there are also some absolute monstrous people you can remove from the genepool without moral qualms.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mierenneuker
Apr 28, 2010

We're all going to experience changes in our life but only the best of us will qualify for front row seats.

The thing about doing a "no bitey" playthrough of Vampyr is somehow you might be convinced that near the very end of the game you should still save/turn Dr. Edgar Swansea instead of draining him or letting him die on the spot.

If you do, you will instantly come to regret it. Holy poo poo, you get that feeling so fast, like 5 second after you click on it. It costs you XP too!

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

I would say that Vampyr actively discourages no-kill runs by making at least several characters irredeemably evil. For example, a landlord.

Judge Tesla
Oct 29, 2011

:frogsiren:

Nuebot posted:

It's an interesting choice, at least. It's kind of all the funnier with how the DLC is absolutely dominated with dragon ball super stuff. Poor forgotten filler villains.

EDIT: Also something I'm quickly noticing is that the random AI fights are basically impossible now. Basically there's a mechanic where randomly you can find dudes just sitting around in missions to fight you based on other player characters, so even if they're around your level at this point in the game's life span every single one of them is minmaxed to hell and back with the best abilities in the game. I've barely started and I'm fighting dudes that have stuff from the hardest challenges in the game and hit me for like 50% of my life with each skill they spam non-stop and it sucks.

Must be the season as I'm also replaying Xenoverse 2, I was enjoying it right up until Cooler showed up on Namek during the Freiza fight, AI Goku just stands there and watches while my cool OC gets torn to pieces by the superpowered pair.

Last Celebration
Mar 30, 2010
Something kinda janky about Tactics Ogre: Revived is that there’s a Train option in most towns where you can just do fights where no one can die, replacing the obnoxious forced random encounters from the PSP remake. Which is good! The jank comes from the fact that you’re not allowed to recruit enemies you train against, which is kind of a downgrade wrt different unit type accessibility. Also, training battle enemies don’t drop anything, which isn’t a huge deal by itself since there’s side dungeons you can do for money, but sometimes the plot blocks off the side dungeon.

It’s really a minor complaint though, because there’s a crafting system with an oversight where you can craft a certain item and sell it at a profit.

Oh; also the Rouge class is enemy-only now because the devs couldn’t get the AI to work properly for the player. Which is kind of confusing cause you can just have them ignore all their special abilities and just normally attack.

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

You mess with the crabbo...

Cythereal posted:

There is a levitating facehugger stuck inside my Subnautica base and it's immune to all weapons so I can't get rid of it. :gonk:

Her name's Lamarr, and she's perfectly harmless :colbert:

Riatsala
Nov 20, 2013

All Princesses are Tyrants

Revisiting Elden Ring with a calmer disposition and as much as I love this game, some of the bosses are two big for the arenas they appear in. This is made especially obvious with the bosses that also have a "roll around on the floor throwing a tantrum" AOE attacks. The arena wasn't made for this sort of boss, the player character isn't made for this sort of boss, the *camera* wasn't made for this sort of boss, so what the hell gives? I'm experienced enough to totally wipe them out without a ton of trouble and I still just find their flailing annoying at best. This sort of boss tends to be a repeated one filling out the end of an unmemorable dungeon, anyway.

I think this replay has convinced me that Elden Ring is just too big. Cut out the laziest 10 - 20%! It won't be missed! That's not a "small thing", though.

credburn
Jun 22, 2016
President, Founder of the Brent Spiner Fan Club

Morpheus posted:

Vampyr does that annoying that that many games do - saying that you 'should' do the thing that takes away a lot of the fun of the game. I stopped playing the game while doing my no-kill run in it because it sorta strips a lot of the purpose out of it.

Like, sure, I could learn this guy's backstory, but why? I don't get any xp out of it.

There should've been some sort of alternate reward for '100%'ing a person, like equipment or half the total xp (other half delivered upon consumption), that sort of thing.

Yeah I'm feeling this very strongly. I find the characters interesting enough but since there's the payoff only happens if you bite them, it really makes me feel like it's kind a of a conversation without an end goal. At best, this conversation MIGHT lead me to solving a sidequest and netting fifty xp

Your Gay Uncle
Feb 16, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

Riatsala posted:

Revisiting Elden Ring with a calmer disposition and as much as I love this game, some of the bosses are two big for the arenas they appear in. This is made especially obvious with the bosses that also have a "roll around on the floor throwing a tantrum" AOE attacks. The arena wasn't made for this sort of boss, the player character isn't made for this sort of boss, the *camera* wasn't made for this sort of boss, so what the hell gives? I'm experienced enough to totally wipe them out without a ton of trouble and I still just find their flailing annoying at best. This sort of boss tends to be a repeated one filling out the end of an unmemorable dungeon, anyway.

I think this replay has convinced me that Elden Ring is just too big. Cut out the laziest 10 - 20%! It won't be missed! That's not a "small thing", though.

The Ulcerated Tree Spirits are the worst about this. Impossible to to tell where the attacks are coming from or what a safe distance is because of their spastic movement. I think they just took the Pus of Man enemies from DS3, painted them brown and made them 4x as big. Wouldn't be so bad if it was one you fight as a boss but theres like 15 of them and they are all the same annoying fight. except for the one you have to fight in a pit of scarlet rot

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

Cythereal posted:

There is a levitating facehugger stuck inside my Subnautica base and it's immune to all weapons so I can't get rid of it. :gonk:

Have you tried Play With Fish?

DrBouvenstein
Feb 28, 2007

I think I'm a doctor, but that doesn't make me a doctor. This fancy avatar does.

Riatsala posted:

Revisiting Elden Ring with a calmer disposition and as much as I love this game, some of the bosses are two big for the arenas they appear in. This is made especially obvious with the bosses that also have a "roll around on the floor throwing a tantrum" AOE attacks.

A podcast I listen to, "Bonfireside Chat" (Kole and Gary, also goons (at least one is) that have covered all the From-Soft Soulbourne series games) refers to that type of enemy as having,

"Settle down, Beavis" energy to it.

Dewgy
Nov 10, 2005

~🚚special delivery~📦

Captain Hygiene posted:

Her name's Lamarr, and she's perfectly harmless :colbert:

Little jokes dragging this game down that took me way too long to get:

Hedy Lamarr! She’s a headcrab!

Opopanax
Aug 8, 2007

I HEX YE!!!

Was going to play Hitman 3 but instead I had to spend an hour making an account and going through an extremely long transfer process to get my data over. Can't just read my save file like every other game, no

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

Don't you tell me my business again.
^^^STILL? God drat, yes that loving sucks. I posted about it a lot probably a year ago along with a lot of other people. Pain in the rear end.

kazil posted:

Are you playing Scholar of the First Sin? They added a fuckload of enemies in that version.

I am, yes.

John Murdoch posted:

A lot of the mobs and ambushes are intentionally designed setpieces that are meant to put you on the back foot; you can only do so much to try and circumvent them. There's a few key exceptions that take things way too far, though. Stuff like the clown car door in Lost Bastille, which is the game just plain having a laugh at your expense. Or the Iron Keep where Scholar made an area people already weren't all that keen on much worse.

Fortunately, I move slow and am discovering that even though it seems that some enemies "spawn", they're usually there already and mostly visible if you look around with more than a few ways to gently caress them up if you use the environment and have a bow. Or even some well placed fire bombs and poo poo. Kinda digging my range build this go round just to switch things up and try something new.

I've gotten to where I EXPECT ambushes.

Nuebot posted:

Oh, my ranged advice is to do a quick run back to no man's wharf ooooorrr...doors or pharros? Depending on where you are and find Gavlan. Gavlan's a good dude, wheels and deals. Sells poison arrows. Almost every enemy in the game can be poisoned. Love me some poison arrows. If you're just going dex with a focus on ranged, you can probably find a curved greatsword somewhere to augment your options for very specific situations. Or, even, embrace pyromancy. There are a few basic pyromancies you can grab that aid with some AOE damage if you find luring people out one on one impossible (and it often is) and the numbers are just overwhelming.

Found that dude but not doing spells this go round but thanks.

One thing I like in DS2 that is the opposite of the thread title is the ability to clear out enemies. I can still soul farm by fighting close to a bonfire and then when I finally wipe out the path to a boss run, I know it's time to move on. A very welcome change.

KingSlime
Mar 20, 2007
Wake up with the Kin-OH GOD WHAT IS THAT?!
Sounds like you're adapting to that game's pace and playing as intended, hell yeah. It's one of my favorites for a lot of reasons, including being able to wipe out enemies and bonfire asctetics or whatever they are called. And I agree the ambushes are totally fine and fun even as long as you go in expecting them

Dark souls 2 is very much an Elden Ring prototype in the sense that it expects and wants you to use a ton of different tools rather than stick to one weapon/ rigid build

Also no one ever talks about how Elden Ring is literally open world Ambushes Souls, whats up with that. DS2 sure gets a bad rap

KingSlime has a new favorite as of 22:25 on Nov 29, 2022

Read After Burning
Feb 19, 2013

"All this, for me? 💃Ah, you didn't have to! 🥰"
Sable is finally coming to PSN...but only to PS5. :smith:

DontMockMySmock
Aug 9, 2008

I got this title for the dumbest fucking possible take on sea shanties. Specifically, I derailed the meme thread because sailors in the 18th century weren't woke enough for me, and you shouldn't sing sea shanties. In fact, don't have any fun ever.

Dewgy posted:

Little jokes dragging this game down that took me way too long to get:

Hedy Lamarr! She’s a headcrab!

"that's 'Hedley.'"
___\

I got the joke on the first playthrough, but only because Hedley Lamarr from Blazing Saddles had already been explained to me. Doctor Kleiner does call her "Hedy" once or twice in-game, too.

We Got Us A Bread
Jul 23, 2007

Your Gay Uncle posted:

The Ulcerated Tree Spirits are the worst about this. Impossible to to tell where the attacks are coming from or what a safe distance is because of their spastic movement. I think they just took the Pus of Man enemies from DS3, painted them brown and made them 4x as big. Wouldn't be so bad if it was one you fight as a boss but theres like 15 of them and they are all the same annoying fight. except for the one you have to fight in a pit of scarlet rot

Cheese the scarlet rot one all fuckin' day, no one's got time for that.

Nuebot
Feb 18, 2013

The developer of Brigador is a secret chud, don't give him money

Judge Tesla posted:

Must be the season as I'm also replaying Xenoverse 2, I was enjoying it right up until Cooler showed up on Namek during the Freiza fight, AI Goku just stands there and watches while my cool OC gets torn to pieces by the superpowered pair.

I wound up uninstalling the game after discovering Zamasu's training and it just being the absolute perfect summation of everything I was not liking about the game. I really want to like it since I had so much fun with the first one, but it feels like almost every mission is basically just "here's a premade loadout, now spend the next four minutes doing what we tell you, precisely, and nothing else" when the entire enjoyment of the game is making your own dumb character and building a cool move list of all the raddest dragon ball explosions.

BiggerBoat posted:

One thing I like in DS2 that is the opposite of the thread title is the ability to clear out enemies. I can still soul farm by fighting close to a bonfire and then when I finally wipe out the path to a boss run, I know it's time to move on. A very welcome change.

Being able to wipe out enemies was one of my favorite small things in 2 and I really wish it had come back. It takes enough respawns that the only time you accidentally wipe out an enemy for good is if you're struggling with an area, and the Covenant of Champions makes it so enemies always respawn so people who don't like that mechanic can just tell it to go away if they want. I always felt it was basically the perfect middle ground for the people who felt the game was just a bit too hard, versus the people who would tell those people to just get good. If you were the kind of player to wipe every last enemy out, you could. Good for you, it'd take forever but if that's how you played then power to you. Or if you just found one specific spot to be horse poo poo you could rest, go kill that guy, go back and rest and make sure that rear end in a top hat never came back ever again because gently caress him.

But also I just really like extinction mechanics for some weird reason, it's like wiping out an entire enemy faction in a strategy game or fully exploring the map in a metroidvania. That weird sense of 100% completion of an area makes my brain happy.

RPATDO_LAMD
Mar 22, 2013

🐘🪠🍆
extincting an enemy on the path for a boss run in DS2 feels the same as a nintendo game giving you the golden tanuki leaf of invincibility or whatever after falling into too many pits as mario
shut up game stop asking me to turn it to easy mode let me keep grinding my face against this
(i am very bad at platformers)

KingSlime
Mar 20, 2007
It takes quite a bit to genocide enemies in dark Souls 2 though to the point where in many areas you have to go out of your way to achieve this, whereas Mario tries to shove the golden tanuki leaf in your face if you die like three times. I will definitely die like three times in a lot of Mario levels.

Vandar
Sep 14, 2007

Isn't That Right, Chairman?

I think I would have liked Vampyr a lot more if it didn't have combat at all. :v:

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Vandar posted:

I think I would have liked Vampyr a lot more if it didn't have combat at all. :v:

That's definitely what turned me off the game. It just felt completely incongruent to what the rest of the game was trying to do.

John Murdoch
May 19, 2009

I can tune a fish.

KingSlime posted:

Also no one ever talks about how Elden Ring is literally open world Ambushes Souls, whats up with that. DS2 sure gets a bad rap

The infuriating thing is that DS1 had plenty of ambushes and mobs of copy and pasted enemies to begin with. DS2 wasn't doing anything new by having more than one enemy attack you at the same time.

BiggerBoat posted:

even though it seems that some enemies "spawn", they're usually there already and mostly visible if you look around

Yup. There's a few specific scripted instances and/or enemy types that can do stuff like hide in the ground where that isn't the case, but pretty much series-wide enemies are waiting in ambush, not spawning in out of thin air.

(In fact, one very big exception is part of why a particular optional DLC area in 2 is one of the most hated sequences in the series.)

John Murdoch has a new favorite as of 06:10 on Nov 30, 2022

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
One of my favorite hints that you're encouraged to look around and take out enemies from range in DS2 comes early on in the form of the Dragonrider. He's just... like... standing there, unable to move in his tiny boss arena in a relatively open space! You can just shoot the bastard! And unlike the absolute vast majority of Souls bosses, after you shoot a few arrows he gets pissed off and turns to face you so you can't do it anymore. It's a great tutorial because it's essentially Fromsoft going "ANY TIME but this time, sorry". :allears:

edit: My real favorite is just a bit later on: you can circumvent the entirety of No Man's Wharf by shooting the bell to summon the pirate ship with a bow, rather than walking allll the way up to pull its lever.

CJacobs has a new favorite as of 09:30 on Nov 30, 2022

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Pouches, bandages, shoulderpad, cyber-eye...

Bitchin'!

I just want to fight the gym leaders but they all keep making me play dumb mini games

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!
I'm aggressively wrong about everything!

Len posted:

I just want to fight the gym leaders but they all keep making me play dumb mini games

We've gone full Orange Islands.

Nuebot
Feb 18, 2013

CJacobs posted:

edit: My real favorite is just a bit later on: you can circumvent the entirety of No Man's Wharf by shooting the bell to summon the pirate ship with a bow, rather than walking allll the way up to pull its lever.

oh my god I never even thought to do this.

Anyway, I'm finally playing Atelier Ryza after god knows how long and this game's combat kind of blows. I was expecting a good ol' JRPG like Atelier Sophie and instead it's like, FFXIII but worse? Your team mates auto-attack when their turn is up but also you can switch to them to take their turns if you want, but the game never slows down or stops so you are basically taking constant damage if you aren't constantly flailing on your gamepad which basically just means letting the AI take control of it is the better option because you're not faster than the AI. And maybe I'm just a dumb baby, but it basically just adds a weird heaping of stress onto what is normally just a really relaxing series.

RenegadeStyle1
Jun 7, 2005

Baby Come Back
I put probably hundreds of hours into both XenoVerse 2 and 1 and I loved both of them. I tried to go back and play 1 again after playing 2 and it was terrible. The step backwards was to much to overcome.

Leal
Oct 2, 2009
Cyberpunk 2077 has NPCs strutting around in crazy clothes and I love that poo poo. As I got further into the game I think "Alright, time to stop wearing jeans and tshirts and time to wear glowing fishnets and holographic hoodies."

You can't. For whatever reason they do not let the player wear most of what NPCs can wear. Like I assume that V has the same body type as a bunch of the NPCs in the world, I can understand them not wanting to put effort into making outfits the big and tall NPCs wear be usable by the player. I would chalk this up to the fact its an FPS game and there is no third person outside of driving a car, except they put in a wardrobe function so you can wear what clothes you want without worrying about armor.

ookiimarukochan
Apr 4, 2011
I would suspect the wardrobe function is the leftover stub of a previous version of the game, same as how you can customise your genitals at the drop of a hat but the game won't let you get naked in public any more.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
The wardrobe was added in a post launch patch in response to players' desire for cosmetic slots, instead of having to look like their equipped items. Subsequently I also was disappointed in the sheer number of NPC outfits you can't find in stores, the citizens look like real rear end cyberpunks but V kind of doesn't!

Edit: actually my favorite NPCs are those Cali beach buff dudes walking around with no shirt and a bunch of chains and tats and stuff. At first I called the guy silly and deemed him an error in NPC generation, but then I saw another like him and considered that in this universe it's probably a mark of pride to remain unaugmented, non gang-affiliated, and flaunt it.

CJacobs has a new favorite as of 19:44 on Nov 30, 2022

Jayme
Jul 16, 2008

Nuebot posted:

oh my god I never even thought to do this.

Anyway, I'm finally playing Atelier Ryza after god knows how long and this game's combat kind of blows. I was expecting a good ol' JRPG like Atelier Sophie and instead it's like, FFXIII but worse? Your team mates auto-attack when their turn is up but also you can switch to them to take their turns if you want, but the game never slows down or stops so you are basically taking constant damage if you aren't constantly flailing on your gamepad which basically just means letting the AI take control of it is the better option because you're not faster than the AI. And maybe I'm just a dumb baby, but it basically just adds a weird heaping of stress onto what is normally just a really relaxing series.

And the AP and tactical level mechanic gives a new level of frustration - AP gets earned each battle by just using normal attacks and gets used on various special attacks, and you can have your party members either blowing as much AP as they can on special attacks or not using special attacks at all (I think it's at least smart enough to use effective attacks). However, there's a tactical level that you upgrade (also each battle) using the same AP points and that gives you access to better specials, so you're never going to upgrade if you let your party members use the good stuff, so my thought process boiled down to "Is this an easy fight? Yes - gently caress it, everybody in, or No - Everybody stop goddamn using poo poo for a couple rounds until I can unlock the next tier of stuff that will actually hurt these dudes." Another wrinkle is that you can use Quick Actions while it's not your turn to, say, toss a healing item at a one-hit-from-death character, but that requires AP, so if your party members have been using all of it, you're not gonna have the chance unless you immediately stop everyone from using specials and pray that you have the time to build up AP. I really wish they would have given you more resource management options than on or off or constantly keeping track of a number on the side of a busy battle screen, like "Leave me a goddamn threshold, people!"

Nuebot
Feb 18, 2013

Jayme posted:

And the AP and tactical level mechanic gives a new level of frustration - AP gets earned each battle by just using normal attacks and gets used on various special attacks, and you can have your party members either blowing as much AP as they can on special attacks or not using special attacks at all (I think it's at least smart enough to use effective attacks). However, there's a tactical level that you upgrade (also each battle) using the same AP points and that gives you access to better specials, so you're never going to upgrade if you let your party members use the good stuff, so my thought process boiled down to "Is this an easy fight? Yes - gently caress it, everybody in, or No - Everybody stop goddamn using poo poo for a couple rounds until I can unlock the next tier of stuff that will actually hurt these dudes." Another wrinkle is that you can use Quick Actions while it's not your turn to, say, toss a healing item at a one-hit-from-death character, but that requires AP, so if your party members have been using all of it, you're not gonna have the chance unless you immediately stop everyone from using specials and pray that you have the time to build up AP. I really wish they would have given you more resource management options than on or off or constantly keeping track of a number on the side of a busy battle screen, like "Leave me a goddamn threshold, people!"

Yeah, the component parts are alright; but the actual combat is way, way, too busy. And god help you if you try to take a few seconds to figure out what you want to do because the enemies, and your team mates, will just keep attacking the whole while. I'm still enjoying the rest of the game and I'm mostly just really hoping I can alchemy myself up some good enough weapons that I can keep auto-attacking for most of the game really.

credburn
Jun 22, 2016
President, Founder of the Brent Spiner Fan Club
Well I see what you guys were saying about the level design in Wolfenstein II: The New Colossus. Visually it's pretty rad. Getting around this loving maze is so loving terrible. Instead of just making a linear sort of tunnel, these levels are broad arenas with multiple ways to get from one place to another. Unfortunately, right now, this game only wants me to go to this one place, and it's on top of a bunch of rubble surrounded by ruined buildings and metal poo poo and rocks and steel beams jutting out everywhere.

I try to get there by the most direct route, but INVISIBLE WALLS say that THIS waist-high jump is unlike all the other waist-high jumps you've made

I try to get there by going around but INVISIBLE WALLS say that no, even though you there is clearly enough room, you're not meant to go this way

I try to get there by jumping off a steel beam but INVISIBLE WALLS say that even though I could make the jump, this is not the way

I try to get there by going around but I just run around in circles because the arena is such a cool open space to fight in

I manage to do the ol' Morrowind-hop along the side of the wall until I'm literally at the checkpoint. I can't actually walk onto it because INVISIBLE WALLS but it's within hand's reach. This is obnoxiously lazy loving level design. Invisible walls should have been left behind in the PS1 era. Giving me a huge open environment with so much freedom and then chokepointing where I must go with INVISIBLE WALLS is bananas.

Also since I'm complaining about this game, I think it's just a little absurd that like three quarters of the u-boat you're in is a secret nazi hideout nobody knew about.

And another thing, it feels weird that a character has so much to say about men being evil and men being the cause of war and such. It would work better in a game that didn't take place in an alternate history franchise where the evil mastermind and final boss has several times been a woman. It's saying "the bad guys are always men" in a series that is already subverting the trope.

credburn has a new favorite as of 01:32 on Dec 1, 2022

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
Yeah, Wolfenstein fails to engage in something I kinda call the Looney Tunes principle. When Bugs Bunny is hiding behind a tree, you can tell he's going to pop out because the tree looks different from the matte background. Or, to cite this meme featuring a certain set of pants:

Wolfenstein doesn't bother with this. Everything is designed to look like the matte, so the tree Bugs is behind looks like every other tree. So you get really lost because there's no visual distinction. The lone door you need to exit through looks just like the nooks and crannies which reinforcements enter through, in Wolf's case. It's a bummer because it's such a gorgeous game, I just wish they did the Valve thing and pointed lights in the direction you need to go instead of lighting scenes naturally as if they're a real place.

CJacobs has a new favorite as of 01:20 on Dec 1, 2022

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

See also Silent Hill making a realistic amount of doors for an Apt complex or Hospital, and then having 2/3 of them locked. How you find which are real and which fake? You simply have to check them all

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
God if only doors in Silent Hill which you couldn't access had a visually busted handle or something and all you had to do is stand still, look a little closer, it'd have been so immersive. :smith:

But I get they'd have to then design 50 busted meat door models for the various otherworlds so that's a problem solved in terms of development time.

Opopanax
Aug 8, 2007

I HEX YE!!!

At least Silent Hill marks them on the map, I'll settle for that

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

KingSlime
Mar 20, 2007

Gaius Marius posted:

See also Silent Hill making a realistic amount of doors for an Apt complex or Hospital, and then having 2/3 of them locked. How you find which are real and which fake? You simply have to check them all

As annoying as this is, I think the realism that you gain from this approach is more than worth it in a horror game. I've always loved how silent Hill maps are designed to actually feel like the places you're in.

They do have to find ways to artificially corral you otherwise the level design would be rear end but I always think it's so dope whenever games do this. Speaking of any examples of other games that have fun to play/traverse maps which accurately represent the real life locations they're supposed to be in? That might be a better question for a different thread actually