Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

sticksy
May 26, 2004
Nap Ghost

NinpoEspiritoSanto posted:

Apparently all the malls are only selling Adidas merch, Nike shops are boarded up you can only buy team shirts that Adidas make in Qatar

Russian mafia strikes again

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vando
Oct 26, 2007

stoats about

Narcissus1916 posted:

So turns out a coworker decided to travel out to Qatar to cheer on the US. Him and his Dad have gone to every World Cup as a tradition.

I asked him to describe the mood out there and he wrote back "flaccid".

not the only thing flaccid when you're at an age where you've been to every world cup

Shrapnig
Jan 21, 2005

Weekend at Bernies: World Cup Edition

Dr. Cool Aids
Jul 6, 2009
maybe that guy's dad sports majestic and powerful erections to this day, you don't know

A Buffer Gay Dude
Oct 25, 2020

Sudden Javelin posted:

maybe that guy's dad sports majestic and powerful erections to this day, you don't know

I’m that guy’s dad and this is correct

Masonity
Dec 31, 2007

What, I wonder, does this hidden face of madness reveal of the makers? These K'Chain Che'Malle?
Note that he mentioned cheering on the USA. I think they believe the world cup started in '94?

Shrapnig
Jan 21, 2005

Masonity posted:

Note that he mentioned cheering on the USA. I think they believe the world cup started in '94?

Sick US burns aside, if the guy is a similar age to most of us '94 would be the first World Cup he really remembers

Masonity
Dec 31, 2007

What, I wonder, does this hidden face of madness reveal of the makers? These K'Chain Che'Malle?

Shrapnig posted:

Sick US burns aside, if the guy is a similar age to most of us '94 would be the first World Cup he really remembers

That's part of what makes it such a sick burn.

Although as an Englishman football temporarily ceased to exist in 94. 1996 was my real introduction to football, both the Euros then watching Arsene Who? arrive. My first at the stadium memory was the not-foul on Robbie Fowler at Highbury where even he told the ref it wasn't a penalty, but the idiot ref disagreed. In 97.

Big Black Dick
Mar 20, 2009

Masonity posted:

Football started in 1992. It only makes sense it would take them a couple years to get the major tournament up and running.

TheRat
Aug 30, 2006

https://twitter.com/TheAthleticFC/status/1597940005464408065

What the loving gently caress is this? Can't we just glass the US and get it over worth?

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011
lol FIFA just really dedicated to making sure that every new World Cup is the worst World Cup ever

psyer
Mar 26, 2013

TheRat posted:

What the loving gently caress is this? Can't we just glass the US and get it over worth?

Consequences of a 48 team World Cup and doing group of 3. It does also mention that they will look again about whether it should be a group of 4.

Shrapnig
Jan 21, 2005

TheRat posted:

United States based organization FIFA.

whypick1
Dec 18, 2009

Just another jackass on the Internet
Jesus titty-loving Christ.

Forrest on Fire
Nov 23, 2012

Shrapnig posted:

United States based organization FIFA.

You'll know when the US is in control when it's FISA :smuggo:

ozmunkeh
Feb 28, 2008

hey guys what is happening in this thread
they should lean into the madness and do the mls penalties from the halfway line

whypick1
Dec 18, 2009

Just another jackass on the Internet

ozmunkeh posted:

they should lean into the madness and do the mls penalties from the halfway line

MLS hasn't done that since '99...which means I fully expect FIFA to actually do it.

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~
Probably should have figured out the details before you made the commitment boys

Shrapnig
Jan 21, 2005

ozmunkeh posted:

*NASL

Zoran
Aug 19, 2008

I lost to you once, monster. I shall not lose again! Die now, that our future can live!

Forrest on Fire posted:

You'll know when the US is in control when it's FISA :smuggo:

Fédération Internationale de Soccer Association?

Al-Saqr
Nov 11, 2007

One Day I Will Return To Your Side.
What’s so bad about penalties aren’t those popular?

TheRat
Aug 30, 2006

Al-Saqr posted:

Everybody hates penalties and there's nothing wrong with a draw

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011
I love penalty shootouts but I hate the Americanization of the sport which demands that we somehow do away with draws.

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018
Every goal is worth 10 points, game split into 4 x 22.5 min quarters to allow for a Bud break

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer
This article covers a bunch of the wacky stuff they used to do when it was only 24 teams

https://www.football365.com/news/qatar-world-cup-group-stage-annoyingly-great-enjoy-it-will-never-happen-again

the sex ghost
Sep 6, 2009
The simplest way I can put it to new people who don't understand draws is that a draw where your team outplayed the opposition for 90 minutes is perhaps even worse than if you had lost, but getting a point when you had no right to do so is the greatest feeling in the world. Draws own and are bullshit at the same time

Shrapnig
Jan 21, 2005

the sex ghost posted:

The simplest way I can put it to new people who don't understand draws is that a draw where your team outplayed the opposition for 90 minutes is perhaps even worse than if you had lost, but getting a point when you had no right to do so is the greatest feeling in the world. Draws own and are bullshit at the same time

It all evens out in the end in a game of two halves

Big Black Dick
Mar 20, 2009

It's a funny old game.

A Buffer Gay Dude
Oct 25, 2020

the sex ghost posted:

Ding ding

They add so much to the tactical and mind games going on, especially at a tournament with such gulfs in skill, and eliminating them via PKs is insanely bad

Now going the NHL route and playing 3v3 sudden death extra time, maybe on a small mini pitch next to the main one, that’s absolutely insane and I’m listening

Lamanda
Apr 18, 2003

I wouldn't mind a shootout instead of, say, fair play record in the event of equal points at the end of the group stage.

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Robots confuse squirrels.

A Buffer Gay Dude posted:

Ding ding

They add so much to the tactical and mind games going on, especially at a tournament with such gulfs in skill, and eliminating them via PKs is insanely bad

Now going the NHL route and playing 3v3 sudden death extra time, maybe on a small mini pitch next to the main one, that’s absolutely insane and I’m listening

I'd totally be down for 7-a-side extra time. Also go full hockey with it, if they do this and a group stage game goes to penalties the losing side still gets a point for the draw.

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~
Do this but for real

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eY8GSe96UEA

Grimson
Dec 16, 2004

the sex ghost posted:

ive always enjoyed these paragraph from juan villoro

quote:

In his staggering report on hooliganism, Among the Thugs, Bill Buford commits a decisive error of judgment. He attributes a legendary brawl between two sets of fans to the preceding match ending 0–0. In Buford’s view, the tribe always needs a victor: the held tension had to come out in another way, and so unleashed this violence. But there is no such thing as a pure witness, and Buford’s judgment reveals where he’s from: the US, a place where sports never end 0–0. In an environment utterly conditioned by competitiveness (the fans there raise their index fingers to signal the thing they want to be: number one), having a certified winner (even if it happens to be the other side) is always preferable to coming out even. Uncertainty and triumphalism don’t mix. And yet all football fans have memories of great matches that have ended in draws. In his Italia ’90 book All Played Out, Pete Davies dedicates a chapter to the 1–1 between England and Germany, which had to be decided on penalties. The chapter is entitled “The Beautiful Game,” in reference to what went on before the shootout (Germany went through). For a football fan, there’s absolutely zero dishonor in sharing the spoils.

You get ardent fans, melancholic fans, fans with heart problems, and nostalgic fans, but above all, and surprisingly enough, a fan is a person who resigns himself to things. A stadium, that cauldron of voices and flares, might not seem like an incubator for stoicism, and yet it very much promotes coolness in the face of adversity. The referee gets a lot of things wrong, the turf becomes slippery, the most accurate player on your team misses every now and then. A whole catalog of imponderables, all kinds of surprises, can happen in football to put a dent in our mood; no one goes expecting the sure thing. As much as he or she complains about the opposing opposing side, and sometimes about the not-opposing side, too, the spectator tacitly accepts that the unimaginable is what they’ve come to witness, and it won’t be pretty. The equivalent would be going to a concert where brawls break out amongst the orchestra, the violinists are off key, and only from time to time does the rare miracle of a bit of music occur. This is the way with football: it doesn’t happen, or half-happens, or happens just in the way you don’t want it to happen, but constantly teeters on the edge of coming together just right.

Certain crowds play their role of attentive extras better than others. I once went to the Buenos Aires clásico, Boca Juniors vs. River Plate. A man, noting my Mexican accent, wanted to check something he’d been told by some Argentine friends: “Is it really true that in Mexico a fan of a team like Boca can watch the match standing next to fans of a team like River?” I said yes, it was. “And they don’t end up murdering one another?” I admitted that, at least when it came to matters of football, we were fairly peace loving. “What degenerates!” came his unforgettable response. Usually, a football stadium is made up of thousands of people so utterly disappointed with what they have just seen that all they’re left to do is ruminate upon despair.

Alctel
Jan 16, 2004

I love snails

That's a great paragraph.

I always describe draws as that sometimes neither team deserves to win (often for different reasons)

Shrapnig
Jan 21, 2005

"Because I don't want them to" is a valid reason imo

Backdoor Delivery
Nov 15, 2004

one cool dude

2 Time TRP Sack Race Champion

TheRat posted:

Last I checked it was Arsene Wenger working at FIFA giving them ideas on how to change the game, but go off.

Jean-Paul Shartre
Jan 16, 2015

this sentence no verb

Lamanda posted:

I wouldn't mind a shootout instead of, say, fair play record in the event of equal points at the end of the group stage.

Have jets waiting outside both the final group games to fly the teams tied for second to a neutral site penalty shootout.

blue footed boobie
Sep 14, 2012

UEFA SUPREMACY

Al-Saqr posted:

In addition to what everyone else has said, adding penalties in the group stage will give bad teams more incentive to defend, waste time, and generally not play the foot for 90 minutes in hopes they can win on penalties.

Vando
Oct 26, 2007

stoats about

njsykora posted:

I'd totally be down for 7-a-side extra time. Also go full hockey with it, if they do this and a group stage game goes to penalties the losing side still gets a point for the draw.

take a player away every 5 minutes as the field slowly shrinks around them

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

cagliostr0
Jun 8, 2020

Backdoor Delivery posted:

Last I checked it was Arsene Wenger working at FIFA giving them ideas on how to change the game, but go off.

Arsene Wenger is possibly the only person with worse ideas about how to fix football than Americans